Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#27 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 9:31 AM
Hi,
my intention was to write a family tree Mod myself.
But then I stumbled across this thread and now I'm going to test this rather than writing another one
Advertisement
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#28 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 8:04 PM
Does it work with the latest patch and Outdoor Retreat?

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Field Researcher
#29 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 5:06 AM
My game is loading the script, but not able to find the path for the exe or dat files. I have placed the folder here: "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Family Tree Support Files". The notification states [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file. I assume I must have the path wrong?
Deceased
Original Poster
#30 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jawusa
Does it work with the latest patch and Outdoor Retreat?

I haven't really played around with it lately, but it just worked for me, so should be okay.
Deceased
Original Poster
#31 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 6:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anach
My game is loading the script, but not able to find the path for the exe or dat files. I have placed the folder here: "Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Family Tree Support Files". The notification states [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file. I assume I must have the path wrong?

What file(s) are in the Family Tree Support Files folder? What is the full message of the error notification so I can determine which part of the script is giving the error? If you run the EXE by just double-clicking it what happens?
Field Researcher
#32 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
What file(s) are in the Family Tree Support Files folder? What is the full message of the error notification so I can determine which part of the script is giving the error? If you run the EXE by just double-clicking it what happens?

The only files in the folder are "MTS_Scumbumbo_FamilyTree.exe". The exe runs fine and detects the path for the .dat file perfectly fine, although there is no dat file yet.

familytree command gives this error: "Error launching the Family Tree executable file: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

familytree.save command gives: Error writing the family tree collection file: No such file or directory.
Test Subject
#33 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 3:41 AM
Thanks for your awesome work! But there's something going wrong here. The mod is working well and the .dat file is generated normally, yet every time I launch the executable file, it says it couldn't find the database. I've tried browsing the .dat file but it always tells me the file is corrupt and that I should regenerate one. I tried to open the .dat file by notepad, and I didn't find anything abnormal with it. So I guess the mod is doing quite okay but the only problem is that the executable file isn't able to load the database,is it?
Deceased
Original Poster
#34 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 6:12 AM Last edited by scumbumbo : 31st Jan 2015 at 11:49 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Anach
familytree command gives this error: "Error launching the Family Tree executable file: [WinError 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

familytree.save command gives: Error writing the family tree collection file: No such file or directory

Make sure that the "Family Tree Mod loaded and initialized" notification shows before trying to use the mod. This is critical as it initializes the file pathnames. I've noticed that sometimes on some lots it can take a few (up to ten or so) seconds before it shows up -- no clue why.

I've also attached a zip with just the script portion updated to include a new debug command: familytree.showpaths (EDIT: Attachment removed - newer debug version post further below which includes this command)

This should produce output something like this:
Code:
FT_SUPPORT_PATH = C:\Users\etc.etc.etc.\Mods\Family Tree Support Files
isdir(FT_SUPPORT_PATH) = True
ft_dat_file() = C:\etc.etc.etc.\FamilyTree.dat
exists(ft_dat_file()) = True
ft_exe_file() = C:\etc.etc.etc.\MTS_Scumbumbo_FamilyTree.exe
exists(ft_exe_file()) = True

If the three tests don't show True, but the mod has initialized, then something is missing or not where it should be.
Deceased
Original Poster
#35 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by evanwen
every time I launch the executable file, it says it couldn't find the database. I've tried browsing the .dat file but it always tells me the file is corrupt and that I should regenerate one.

Sounds like the dat file is corrupt somehow. If you want you can email me a copy of the dat file and I'll look at it, I'll send you a PM with an email address to send to. Or you can upload a zip file of it to modyourpanties if you'd rather and let me know the URL to get the copy.

The actual database will not be created until a valid dat file is read in, so you will keep getting that notice until one gets loaded up.
Deceased
Original Poster
#36 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 7:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Morphar
There is a "standard" file format for family records called GEDCOM. In TS3 Twallan made a command in Master Controller that generated such a file. By using that standard you can use any geneology program to view the family tree in any way you like it. I used Family Tree Builder from MyHeritage, a stand alone free software. In that way you can concentrate to create the file than to invent the wheel once again.

I finally got around to looking at GEDCOM and it looks easy enough to work with. The only issue I see with it is that it won't support "impossible" things that are possible with sims, like a male mother or female father. I don't play with those mods, nothing against them, I'm just kind of like Reg in Life of Brian, but I know some people like having those. What's other people's take on this limitation of GEDCOM?
Field Researcher
#37 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 7:20 AM
Make sure that the "Family Tree Mod loaded and initialized" notification shows before trying to use the mod.
I've also attached a zip with just the script portion updated to include a new debug command: familytree.showpaths

Yeah it always initializes fine and it usually the first thing to do so. Anyway, fixed, it was such a silly simple thing. I had the script mod in the scripts folder and I had put the Family Tree Support Files folder into the root of mods, it's obvious now that it needed to go into the same folder as the script mod. Thanks for the assist!
Scholar
#38 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 5:07 PM
I finally got around to looking at GEDCOM and it looks easy enough to work with. The only issue I see with it is that it won't support "impossible" things that are possible with sims, like a male mother or female father. I don't play with those mods, nothing against them, I'm just kind of like Reg in Life of Brian, but I know some people like having those. What's other people's take on this limitation of GEDCOM?

It doesn't matter to me so go for it. How did Twallan solve that or he did not?
GEDCOM is a standard but some geneology programs have their own interpretention of the standard (as usual) . Please verify with the program i mentioned.

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder
Scholar
#39 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 9:00 PM Last edited by Morphar : 30th Jan 2015 at 9:14 PM.
I made a baby boy in TS3 with a same sex couple and generated a GEDCOM file. I imported it into the Family Tree Builder. No problem.
I then run a consequence test and it reported that the couple both were females but I could generate a nice family tree.

The couple from Sunset Valley in sims3 are Blair Wainwright and Emma Hatch and the kid is Bairboy. (misspelled Blairboy).

Atached is the GEDCOM file.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Genealogy_GEDCOM.zip (29.4 KB, 15 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Bairboy Wainwright's closest family.zip (178.8 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Deceased
Original Poster
#40 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morphar
I made a baby boy in TS3 with a same sex couple and generated a GEDCOM file. I imported it into the Family Tree Builder. No problem.

Ah, well perhaps the wiki page I read about GEDCOM is outdated or inaccurate. That sounds promising then, I'll definitely look into whether this kind of file can be generated (I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible) as that would give players a lot of flexibility. Not sure when I'll get to it, of course.
Scholar
#41 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 2:06 AM
Ah, well perhaps the wiki page I read about GEDCOM is outdated or inaccurate. That sounds promising then, I'll definitely look into whether this kind of file can be generated (I can't imagine why it wouldn't be possible) as that would give players a lot of flexibility. Not sure when I'll get to it, of course.

Family Tree Builder is very tolerant. The Tree Consistency checker reports errors/warnings like this but it still accept the file as is. It.'s up to the program to handle the data in the protocoll and some will probably refuse to load the file.
Quote:
Emma Hatch and Blair Hatch [Wainwright] (spouses) are both female.- Tip: If this is a same-gender union, ignore this issue. If this is an error, correct the gender of one of the spouses.

Quote:
Maiden name 'Wainwright' of Susan Wainwright is similar to the last name of her spouse Boyd Wainwright- Tip: It's possible that the wife's married name was incorrectly entered as her maiden name (unless she married a husband with the same last name as hers). Fix this by moving the wife's 'Maiden name' into the 'Married name' field, and enter her last name at birth, if known, into the 'Maiden name' field. Fix it

Quote:
The name of LaShawn Otto has incorrect use of upper and lower case- Tip: Names should start with uppercase and follow with lowercase letters, or have all uppercase or lowercase letters. Fix it

Keep up the good work!
Deceased
Original Poster
#42 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 4:33 PM
I've tried browsing the .dat file but it always tells me the file is corrupt and that I should regenerate one. I tried to open the .dat file by notepad, and I didn't find anything abnormal with it.

Thanks for sending me your corrupted .dat file. There is an extra SID line at the end of the file with no actual sim data that is causing the problem. If you create a new .dat file using "familytree.save newfile.dat" do you always get that lone SID line on the last line of the file?

Edit: If you just delete that last SID line, the file loads up and adds your sims to a database - looks like gibberish to me as it's not English, it will be interesting to see how (if at all) VB handles the localization.
Trainee Moderator
#43 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 8:57 PM
No notifications appear. And I can't use the custom cheats either. Nothing happens if I use those cheats.

I can use this cheat however 'familytree.showpaths' It says no paths but this cheat works for me at least.

Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Deceased
Original Poster
#44 Old 31st Jan 2015 at 11:47 PM
No notifications appear. And I can't use the custom cheats either. Nothing happens if I use those cheats.

I can use this cheat however 'familytree.showpaths' It says no paths but this cheat works for me at least.

Thanks for the testing feedback. OK, that sounds like the initialization is never running, or at least not to completion. I've attached yet another debug function to the script. The attached zip adds a command 'familytree.debuginit', which should produce this output if things are working properly:
Code:
ft_debug_init() entered
FT_INITIALIZED was set
dirname = "C:\Users\username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\MTS_Scumbumbo_FamilyTree_Script_BETA.zip"
after stripping .zip, dirname = "C:\Users\username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods"
FT_SUPPORT_PATH = "C:\Users\username\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods\Family Tree Support Files"
Set alarm for 3am
ft_debug_init() ran to completion

If this runs all the way through, then the initialization was never run for some reason. If it hiccups somewhere through and never reaches that last line it should show me where the problem might lie - let me know how the output differs from the above
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MTS_Scumbumbo_FamilyTree_Script_BETA.zip (6.2 KB, 26 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#45 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 5:49 AM
Thanks for sending me your corrupted .dat file. There is an extra SID line at the end of the file with no actual sim data that is causing the problem. If you create a new .dat file using "familytree.save newfile.dat" do you always get that lone SID line on the last line of the file?

Edit: If you just delete that last SID line, the file loads up and adds your sims to a database - looks like gibberish to me as it's not English, it will be interesting to see how (if at all) VB handles the localization.

I've tried using "familytree.save newfile.dat" code and I opened the new file but the extra SID line was still there. I tried to delete the last line and browsed it but it was still telling me the file is corrupt. And yes because I'm Taiwanese and my game is running in Chinese. (Sorry for my bad English expression XD)
Trainee Moderator
#46 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 8:20 AM
The cheats worked for me now. But I couldn't merge the file into database. An error occurs if I want to do that.
Screenshots

My Simblr
Deceased
Original Poster
#47 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 8:40 AM
I've tried using "familytree.save newfile.dat" code and I opened the new file but the extra SID line was still there. I tried to delete the last line and browsed it but it was still telling me the file is corrupt. And yes because I'm Taiwanese and my game is running in Chinese. (Sorry for my bad English expression XD)

Hmmm, not sure what's wrong. I'll look at the file you sent me some more when I get the chance and maybe I'll see something that might give me a clue of what to ask you next.

Actually, I do know of one thing that might help me, try running the save again and then check your lastException.txt file in your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 folder and see if there's anything in there. If an exception occurred while writing the information for that one sim it might give me a clue. If there is some information in there (and it's in English) you can send me that info in a PM or email it.
Deceased
Original Poster
#48 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 8:41 AM
The cheats worked for me now. But I couldn't merge the file into database. An error occurs if I want to do that.

OK, I had to type that into Google Translate but it let me know the basics of what happened. If you can do that again and click the Details button on that error message that information will help much more.
Trainee Moderator
#49 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 9:59 AM
I get this if I click 'Details'
I'm sorry it's not in English. It's in German.

My Simblr
Deceased
Original Poster
#50 Old 1st Feb 2015 at 4:50 PM
I get this if I click 'Details'
I'm sorry it's not in English. It's in German.[/SPOILER]

It translated accurately enough using Google, so it being in Geman is not a problem, thanks. The only possible way this error could happen (at least that I can see) is if you are also getting an error before this one about an "XML Database Error" and then choosing either not to delete the bad database file, or the program fails to delete it properly (which is tested and will also generate a message). Is this what could be happening?
Page 2 of 3