Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Notebook V2.1

by plasticbox Posted 10th Jan 2015 at 3:50 AM - Updated 15th Feb 2016 at 1:11 PM by plasticbox

195 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 120 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 8
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#2 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 4:48 AM
cool all we need now is a no autonomous use notebook mod hint hint
Scholar
THANKS POST
#3 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 4:49 AM
What a great idea!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#4 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 5:17 AM
I love you, PB<3! I was *just* thinking about this the other day - it was one of my favourite mods for TS3 and I'm so happy it's returned.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#5 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 5:52 AM
ooooh! Thank you Thank you Thank you! *blows kisses* Sim style! ;-)
Mad Poster
THANKS POST
#6 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 6:12 AM
I don't know what to say except I never thought something like this is possible. I must try it out, I love my author sims. Thank you.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#7 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 6:48 AM
Yass
This Was My Favorite Mod In The Sims 3 Thank You Omgomgogmo
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 6:54 AM
I LOVED this in The Sims 3, glad to see it's coming to The Sims 4!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#9 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 9:54 AM
Thank you soo much. It was annoying when most jobs require a computer and I wanted to live in a world without computers and other tech
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 10:34 AM
Thank you
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#11 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 11:41 AM
Awesome upload! Glad that my sims can do at least some writing in the old fashioned way
Field Researcher
#12 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:02 PM
:lovestruc WOW! Thank you a thousand times!! I always find inner peace when watching my sims actually writing. (not typing)
Two little not-that-important questions:
Is it possible to make a tooltip for the notebook? As object in sim's inventory has a hovering tooltip.
Is it possible to make the notebook go around with sims when they decide to change their seats in talking? Something strange happened.
And here is the STBL file for Chinese(zh-TW) in case you need it. This mod is already very cool, thanks again! :D
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#13 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:05 PM
Thank you!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by carlydunham
a no autonomous use notebook mod

If there are issues with sims autonomously using this notebook, report them please.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by egureh
Is it possible to make a tooltip for the notebook? As object in sim's inventory has a hovering tooltip.

Not sure how well that would work in combination with the pie menu. // Edit, do you have a screenshot of the sort of tooltip you mean? Right now I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about; the "pop up" (as shown in my catalogue screenshot) or something else?

Is it possible to make the notebook go around with sims when they decide to change their seats in talking? Something strange happened.

Ah, sorry -- I've only had that happen with writing books so far, that's why I thought it wasn't an issue for now. What was your sim doing when he changed seats? (It should be possible to disallow changing posture or interact with others while writing, then this shoudln't happen .. or maybe I'm missing the start/end animations somewhere)

And here is the STBL file for Chinese(zh-TW) in case you need it. This mod is already very cool, thanks again! :D

Thank you!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#16 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 1:51 PM
:) Thanks!
Field Researcher
#17 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Not sure how well that would work in combination with the pie menu. // Edit, do you have a screenshot of the sort of tooltip you mean? Right now I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about; the "pop up" (as shown in my catalogue screenshot) or something else?
Ah, sorry -- I've only had that happen with writing books so far, that's why I thought it wasn't an issue for now. What was your sim doing when he changed seats? (It should be possible to disallow changing posture or interact with others while writing, then this shoudln't happen .. or maybe I'm missing the start/end animations somewhere)
Thank you!

Wow, you replied so quickly. Thanks! :D
Sorry if I used a wrong word, tooltip in sim's inventory I mean this.
Changing seat happens when there is a better view seat, as I showed in screenshot, A was writing and talking to B beside him, then he stood up and chose a seat face to B, leaving the notebook at previous seat. But the writing action wasn't interrupted, the animations continued with A and notebook separated.
Another tiny question: Why the icon of notebook looks so tiny in my game? XD
Oh and I nearly forgot to mention, about the STBL files, 0x01C425B6BF75094A is for Chinese(zh-CN), but the game doesn't support Simplified Chinese, so this one can be deleted.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:26 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 11th Jan 2015 at 2:54 PM.
Quick update -- @egureh , maybe you want to give this a quick test run? (I can't test much right now)

- Sims will now not consider any "mixer interactions" (like chatting, eating) while writing -- I hope this prevents them from doing the musical chairs thing; they were already supposed to start/stop the animation properly (i.e. pick up and put down the book) and also ignore autonomuous socials so I don't see what more I can do to help them with that. And when writing a love letter, one wouldn't normally chat with others anyway =P ..

- Sims should prefer running the interactions near the object the user clicked on (can be useful in case you have more than one book in a household)

- Traditional Chinese translation by egureh is included (thank you! =)

The package in the zip is also named "notebook" (no version number) so you can just overwrite the old one.

File updated with proper thumbnail, thanks for the heads-up!

(File removed, see v1.2 in main upload post)

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 2:51 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 10th Jan 2015 at 3:20 PM.
Sorry if I used a wrong word, tooltip in sim's inventory I mean this.

I need to check how this looks i my game -- however, I assume it would conflict with the pie menu so I probably won't add that.

Another tiny question: Why the icon of notebook looks so tiny in my game? XD

That is because I seem to have accidentially removed the thumbnail camera resource too when I removed the crafting stuff >.< thank you!! (For me this makes no visible difference since in my game the thumbnail already existed .. hence why I didn't notice)

I'll put it back in both the main upload and the v1.1 version above, give me a minute .. you're an excellent tester, thanks for the STBL info as well! (From what I gather it still makes sense to keep the 01 stbl in, even when it's not used right now, in case that language will be added in the future .. even when it's English text that's better than just "DEBUG")

ETA: both files updated. You will probably need to delete your localthumbscache (in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4) to see the proper thumbnail.

--

Also, if other people want to provide translations, you're most welcome! But you would need to let me know which resource key it would need to have since I don't know which is which (providing an actual STBL like egureh did would be most awesome, but even just the info would be helpful). Or does anyone know where this is documented?

The strings I have at the moment are:
  • "Notebook" (object name)
  • "A notebook for sims to write in. modthesims.info/members/plasticbox" (object description)
  • "Write Love Letter" (replacement for "Write Love Email", this is shown in the pie menu)
  • "Write Love Letter to" (replacement for "Write Love Email To", this will show in the UI while the interaction is running)
  • "Write About Feelings" (replacement for "Blog About Feelings")

For German (which I can translate myself) it'd also be helpful if a German user (who unlike me plays the game in German) could let me know the exact wording of those interactions on a computer, since I'd like that to be consistent.

Field Researcher
#20 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 3:35 PM
Quick update -- @egureh , maybe you want to give this a quick test run? (I can't test much right now)
- Sims will now not consider any "mixer interactions" (like chatting, eating) while writing -- I hope this prevents them from doing the musical chairs thing; they were already supposed to start/stop the animation properly (i.e. pick up and put down the book) and also ignore autonomuous socials so I don't see what more I can do to help them with that. And when writing a love letter, one wouldn't normally chat with others anyway =P ..
- Sims should prefer running the interactions near the object the user clicked on (can be useful in case you have more than one book in a household)
- Traditional Chinese translation by egureh is included (thank you! =)
The package in the zip is also named "notebook" (no version number) so you can just overwrite the old one.
File updated with proper thumbnail, thanks for the heads-up!

I need to check how this looks i my game -- however, I assume it would conflict with the pie menu so I probably won't add that.
That is because I seem to have accidentially removed the thumbnail camera resource too when I removed the crafting stuff >.< thank you!! (For me this makes no visible difference since in my game the thumbnail already existed .. hence why I didn't notice)
I'll put it back in both the main upload and the v1.1 version above, give me a minute .. you're an excellent tester, thanks for the STBL info as well! (From what I gather it still makes sense to keep the 01 stbl in, even when it's not used right now, in case that language will be added in the future .. even when it's English text that's better than just "DEBUG")
ETA: both files updated. You will probably need to delete your localthumbscache (in Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4) to see the proper thumbnail.

Cool! Thanks for updating! :lovestruc
Aha, so it's called musical chairs, happy to learn new phrase every day.
But sadly it still has musical chairs issue with v1.1, sims still can chat when writing in notebook.
Just FYI, as far as I know, painting on easel is an incompatible interaction with chatting, maybe you could get some hints from its code?
The thumbnail works fine now, very pretty notebook.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 3:57 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 11th Jan 2015 at 2:54 PM.
Just FYI, as far as I know, painting on easel is an incompatible interaction with chatting, maybe you could get some hints from its code?

Well that has a so-called affordance compatibility list that is specific to easels, I don't think it would work well to use that one (different posture and such) .. but I now added a compatibility check that should explicitely exclude everything but listening to stereos, maybe that would make the silly sims shut up and behave?

v1.2 attached below for testing. Let me know how it works, I don't have time right now to playtest myself since I need to leave soon and get properly dressed and showered before that but I'll hopefully have some time tomorrow to look into it some more.

ETA,
But sadly it still has musical chairs issue with v1.1, sims still can chat when writing in notebook.

just to clarify: are you talking about autonomous chatting or did you MAKE them chat? That's two different things as far as the game is concerned -- I'd just like to know whether the "please ignore when other sims are autonomously trying to talk to you" thing is working or not, since that's not so easy to test for.

(File removed, see v1.2 in main upload post)

Field Researcher
#22 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 4:40 PM
Well that has a so-called affordance compatibility list that is specific to easels, I don't think it would work well to use that one (different posture and such) .. but I now added a compatibility check that should explicitely exclude everything but listening to stereos, maybe that would make the silly sims shut up and behave?
v1.2 attached below for testing. Let me know how it works, I don't have time right now to playtest myself since I need to leave soon and get properly dressed and showered before that but I'll hopefully have some time tomorrow to look into it some more.
ETA, just to clarify: are you talking about autonomous chatting or did you MAKE them chat? That's two different things as far as the game is concerned -- I'd just like to know whether the "please ignore when other sims are autonomously trying to talk to you" thing is working or not, since that's not so easy to test for.

Oh yes you're right, actually no autonomous chatting is surely enough to avoid autonomous musical chairs, my brain got stucked.
And yes, v1.1 works fine on stopping autonomous chatting, I just lost control of my hand. (hmm...always enjoy their chatting)
v1.2 is AWESOME! Thanks! Now even an oracle from God cannot make them talk to each other while writing in notebook.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 9:41 PM
YAY
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#24 Old 10th Jan 2015 at 10:22 PM
I laid several notebooks out in my house for my 8 sim household. the maid came in and promptly pocketed one of them. The rest of them were picked up within less than an hour of sim play time, and That has become the entire household's favorite past time - everyone is "practicing writing", even my level 10 writer! hahaa
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#25 Old 11th Jan 2015 at 1:07 AM
why i cant find it at anywhere this mod support what version
Page 1 of 8