Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2015 at 10:40 PM Last edited by simalary44 : 11th Feb 2015 at 2:21 AM.
Default -- [Tutorial] Creating Custom Thumbnails For CAS Creations --
Introduction

Hello fellow modders and Simmers, I have a neat tutorial on how you guys can create a thumbnail for your CAS creations [I haven't tested Build/Buy Items]!
[Like my thumbnails for example:

This can be used to easily find your CC in CAS, or to make your creations more - you!

What you will learn:
1) Easily create more personalized CC
2) More about IMG files in S4PE
3) Quickly export/import images in S4PE
4) Edit package files

What you will NOT learn:
1) How to use Photoshop, S4PE, GIMP, or any other program
2) How to create CC, or package files

Important notes to remember:
1)You have to delete your localthumbnailcache.package file to make the game render your images in the package.
2)The instances have to match the thumbnail, to the INDIVIDUAL CASP file.
3)This is based on using PHOTOSHOP text, the GIMP processes may be different but are similar.
4. Have a little snip of your item in CAS, the default thumbnail, like this:

Let's get started!

Tutorial

1. Have your CC already made [or at least 1 CASP file done].
2. Note/Copy the Instance ID and the Group ID of the CASP file in your package.
3. Open your localthumbnailcache.package file in S4PE. [Located in your Sims 4 documents library]
4. Order by Filesize and look for your default thumbnail.

5. Open the Details of the IMG file, change the Type THUM 0x3C1AF1F2 to THUM 0xCD9DE247. Click 'OK'.
6. Right-Click and select 'Export To Image'

7. Open the picture in Photoshop, along with the Snip mentioned above.

OPTION A: [Only Add Logo To Image, As An Overlay, Like Me]

OPTION B: [Blank Image, Only With Text]

10. Open your Custom Content package in S4PE.
11. In S4PE, Click Resource > Add or Ctrl + Shift + A.

12. In the new menu, insert the CASP Instance ID that you would like to match with the Thumbnail, and for the Type: THUM 0x3C1AF1F2. And for the Group, have 0x00000002 for FEMALES OR 0x00000102 for MALES

13. Import the image from a JPG file you saved in Photoshop.
14. Delete your localthumbnailcache.package. The game will then load YOUR thumbnails.
15. Test

Any questions? Please ask!

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Send me a PM, if you need to contact me for anything.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 5:34 AM
Is there an easier way to do this for items with multiple recolours? I've opened some .packages by other people and have seen only one THUM, but all the recolours are linked to it. The only way I can get the thumbnail to show up for every recolour I make is to individually copy each THUM and change the instance, which takes a very long time and is very tedious (especially for makeup with 10 recolours).
Any ideas?

~ Turn my world. Precious thing. ~

~ Some even call me mad.
And why? Because I dared to dream of my own race of atomic monsters,
atomic supermen with octagonal shaped bodies that suck blood.... ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 1:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Screaming Mustard
Is there an easier way to do this for items with multiple recolours? I've opened some .packages by other people and have seen only one THUM, but all the recolours are linked to it. The only way I can get the thumbnail to show up for every recolour I make is to individually copy each THUM and change the instance, which takes a very long time and is very tedious (especially for makeup with 10 recolours).
Any ideas?

Could you post a link so I can check it out, I think those recolours only have 1 image to show the item, and only stays 1 image, not showing an actual preview - I may be wrong, I'm new to modding/custom content so I could be really wrong in some parts.

If you'd like for your package to only have 1 thumbnail, you'd have to link your THUM to the CASP file - I'm not very positive on how to do it, I'll test things out [because that's usually how I figure out things]. Hopefully I'm not dumb and confuse you.

It's complicated to do this for multiple recolors, especially with 14 recolors, lol, but it's the only way that I know of for right now.

Hope this helped - good luck!

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simalary44
Could you post a link so I can check it out, I think those recolours only have 1 image to show the item, and only stays 1 image, not showing an actual preview - I may be wrong, I'm new to modding/custom content so I could be really wrong in some parts.

If you'd like for your package to only have 1 thumbnail, you'd have to link your THUM to the CASP file - I'm not very positive on how to do it, I'll test things out [because that's usually how I figure out things]. Hopefully I'm not dumb and confuse you.

It's complicated to do this for multiple recolors, especially with 14 recolors, lol, but it's the only way that I know of for right now.

Hope this helped - good luck!

Ideally I would love for my .package of a bazillion recolours to all share the same one THUM, but I can't figure out how to link more than one CASP to a single THUM.
I'm trying to find the .package I looked at, hopefully will find it soon. I remember being completely amazed that they had figured it out, but I looked at the CASP at it didn't look any different to me.
Hopefully someone figures it out soon! :D

~ Turn my world. Precious thing. ~

~ Some even call me mad.
And why? Because I dared to dream of my own race of atomic monsters,
atomic supermen with octagonal shaped bodies that suck blood.... ~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Feb 2015 at 11:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Screaming Mustard
Ideally I would love for my .package of a bazillion recolours to all share the same one THUM, but I can't figure out how to link more than one CASP to a single THUM.
I'm trying to find the .package I looked at, hopefully will find it soon. I remember being completely amazed that they had figured it out, but I looked at the CASP at it didn't look any different to me.
Hopefully someone figures it out soon! :D

Unless what they did is had multiple thumbnails that matched the instance ID's of all the CAS-Parts, and had it the same - idk though

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 1:23 AM
Moving to Tutorials. Please post here with tutorials, not in the type-specific subforums. Thanks!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Feb 2015 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Moving to Tutorials. Please post here with tutorials, not in the type-specific subforums. Thanks!

Sorry, I just asked another staff member and told me to post it there

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 8:29 AM
Help - The thumbnails won't load in S4PE. I can't see any thumbnail...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vertigo
Help - The thumbnails won't load in S4PE. I can't see any thumbnail...

Could you post a screen shot? Also, make sure you have the most up-to-date version in S4PE.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me
Test Subject
#10 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 7:15 PM
Hi, first, thanks for the tutorial ! I did exactly what you said, but in game I can't see my Thumbnail, there's a red cross instead, what could I miss in your steps ? Thanks if you reply (sorry for bad english!)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Apr 2015 at 2:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Daenyx
Hi, first, thanks for the tutorial ! I did exactly what you said, but in game I can't see my Thumbnail, there's a red cross instead, what could I miss in your steps ? Thanks if you reply (sorry for bad english!)

Sorry for the late reply, but make sure you save it as a JPG, as the game does NOT support PNG files. Maybe try redoing to tutorial.

Simalary Studios

Contact Me