Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 6130 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Feb 2015 at 7:14 PM Last edited by pepoluan : 14th Feb 2015 at 8:28 AM.
Default sims3py -- a Pure Python library for manipulation of DBPF files
Hello folks!

Earlier I've started a thread on creating an "LDES parser". Well, that project snowballed... now I present to you:

The sims3py Library

Its purview: Implement the functionality of the s3pi library (and helpers/wrappers) in a cross-platform way. (As long as the platform has Python 2.7, that is)

sims3py Official Repository & Website: https://bitbucket.org/pepoluan/sims3py/

Do note that the state of this library is still pre-Alpha; the interfaces & implementations are still evolving, and might experience significant changes before it reaches Beta.

But, at the moment of my posting, it's already running quite well for my original purpose of hunting & modifying & dumping LDES resources

So, I'd really appreciate it if you can 'take a peek', and give me suggestions for improvements. A 'code review', so to speak.

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 3:40 PM
Very interesting. I can't be the only one who needs a tutorial for this though, so I shall wait and see if anyone can simplify this for me before I experiment with this. Thanks though.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Inventor
#3 Old 12th Feb 2015 at 4:14 PM
Any chance for a direct download method (tarball or whatever)? Is the source code available?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2015 at 9:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tizerist
Very interesting. I can't be the only one who needs a tutorial for this though, so I shall wait and see if anyone can simplify this for me before I experiment with this. Thanks though.

No worries. I fully realize this is very 'early' in the project, so it's not yet user-friendly. Heck, it's not even yet dev-friendly.

But experienced Python programmers (especially those familiar with Open Source development) might want to take a peek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsil
Any chance for a direct download method (tarball or whatever)? Is the source code available?

If you go to the repository's URL, on the left sidebar, there's a button called "download". That button will take you here: https://bitbucket.org/pepoluan/sims3py/downloads

From there, click on "Download repository" which will download the whole source code tree in a nice .zip file.

(Sorry, I can't post the direct link to the "Download repository" link, because that one changes according to the 'commit #'. The link to the "downloads" page is static, though, and shared above)

Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody. And I'm trying to make something wonderful for The Sims 3.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Jun 2016 at 5:09 PM
Default I tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepoluan
No worries. I fully realize this is very 'early' in the project, so it's not yet user-friendly. Heck, it's not even yet dev-friendly.

But experienced Python programmers (especially those familiar with Open Source development) might want to take a peek.


If you go to the repository's URL, on the left sidebar, there's a button called "download". That button will take you here: https://bitbucket.org/pepoluan/sims3py/downloads

From there, click on "Download repository" which will download the whole source code tree in a nice .zip file.

(Sorry, I can't post the direct link to the "Download repository" link, because that one changes according to the 'commit #'. The link to the "downloads" page is static, though, and shared above)


I've found the Sims 3 to be almost unplayable with the frequent stutters when I have a top of the line PC. I've tried to will myself with nil programming or python experience into getting this done.

What I tried was having the sims3py __init__ file and resources in the same directory as my python so it's always set to the directory.
I've then tried executing with -m setup.py

Every variation I have tried is filled with syntax errors.

Am I nearly there haha I have no idea what I'm doing.
Has our glorious creator gone AWOL?

On his website for installation this is all he has:
nstallation
I'm still in the process of preparing & submitting the package to PyPI. In the meantime, just download the zip and extract into a directory. cd into that directory, and execute:
python -m module.you.want [params] ...
For example, to check if your DBPF file is corrupt or not:
python -m sims3utils.test_corrupt <path_to_file>

If I do manage to initialise file do I then just run the Sims 3?

Goddam I have no idea lol This project looks like it had alot of effort poured into it and he seems really ecstatic over his improved load times on his blog.
Where are you mane?
Test Subject
#6 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 5:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross30
I've found the Sims 3 to be almost unplayable with the frequent stutters when I have a top of the line PC. I've tried to will myself with nil programming or python experience into getting this done.

What I tried was having the sims3py __init__ file and resources in the same directory as my python so it's always set to the directory.
I've then tried executing with -m setup.py

Every variation I have tried is filled with syntax errors.

Am I nearly there haha I have no idea what I'm doing.
Has our glorious creator gone AWOL?

On his website for installation this is all he has:
nstallation
I'm still in the process of preparing & submitting the package to PyPI. In the meantime, just download the zip and extract into a directory. cd into that directory, and execute:
python -m module.you.want [params] ...
For example, to check if your DBPF file is corrupt or not:
python -m sims3utils.test_corrupt <path_to_file>

If I do manage to initialise file do I then just run the Sims 3?

Goddam I have no idea lol This project looks like it had alot of effort poured into it and he seems really ecstatic over his improved load times on his blog.
Where are you mane?


If you find a way to get answers, could you please let us know? I believe I may be tech-savvy enough to run it with my game but am a bit confused by the instructions too. Without something like this, I would probably lose the will to keep playing TS3.
Back to top