Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Undead Molten Llama
#26 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 7:12 AM

Yup. Now you see why I'm gun-shy about AGS. Although if I'd done it right, I probably wouldn't have had a problem. But since (at least as far as I know) the download post doesn't tell you that you have to run the installer as admin (because the program was created before Microsoft invented that whole idiotic thing), it's an easy thing to do wrong. Or maybe I just missed that in the instructions, if it's there. That's been known to happen, too. *rueful sigh*

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Advertisement
Theorist
Original Poster
#27 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 7:17 AM
Maybe I can reinstall AGS and at least package my numerous half-finished Lots to recognize all the EPs.
Tomorrow.
Good night and thanks for your help.
Undead Molten Llama
#28 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 7:21 AM
Not a problem. If I can help further, give me a yell.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#29 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 7:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad

Yup. Now you see why I'm gun-shy about AGS. Although if I'd done it right, I probably wouldn't have had a problem. But since (at least as far as I know) the download post doesn't tell you that you have to run the installer as admin (because the program was created before Microsoft invented that whole idiotic thing), it's an easy thing to do wrong. Or maybe I just missed that in the instructions, if it's there. That's been known to happen, too. *rueful sigh*

I remember reading run it as Admin. AGS won't even start up if I don't. My base game slot did mess up the cc in my main game the only time I used it so I don't use that slot. I'm worried worse could happen. My Season's slot and M&G slot work perfectly though so I stick with them.

The red windows is because iCad doesn't have the CEP fix in that game. Gave me a shock first time I loaded up my shopping centre in AGS, I had a panic moment before I was told I was probably missing that part of CEP. Only the colour swatch tool didn't even have the other options, just red on all of those windows.

The house I downloaded looks fine. Nothing out of place or strangely coloured.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#30 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 12:26 PM
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#31 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 2:23 PM
It sounds like your EPs are still set up for the anygame. If you'd like, I can help you sort it by modifying the registry.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
Original Poster
#32 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 5:34 PM
Before I play with the registry, which I'm really scared of doing because I've always been told that if I louse anything up, my computer will stop working altogether, what if I just go back to a Windows Restore Point?
From what I've read on my computer, this will restore the registry.
My closest restore point is 05Mar15, last Thursday, which would be OK.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#33 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 5:53 PM
I think that would work, though I'm not 100% sure.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
Original Poster
#34 Old 11th Mar 2015 at 8:23 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 11th Mar 2015 at 8:34 PM.
Looks like it worked, after a slight hiccup.

I'm back to using the TS2DD disc to play. For some reason Gunmod's Camera Mod 3.1 remained removed from the Cameras folder, but I was actually going to try out a different camera mod anyway.

Also, as Murphy's Law would have it, there happened to be a big Win7 update last night, so I rebooted several times to get those installed, after which at one point Firefox wouldn't work anymore because it said it couldn't find a file named "XPCom". So I simply deleted and reinstalled Firefox, forgetting, of course, to save my bookmarks first, although they all reappeared as if by some benevolent magical force after the reinstall.

Right now, everything looks Peachy Keen with Kick Molding in Light Wood.

And so, the space/time continuum was restored and once again there was peace in the universe.

Is there a camera mod that reduces or eliminates altitude wobble?
Undead Molten Llama
#35 Old 12th Mar 2015 at 12:38 AM
I'm glad you got it straightened out, Rob. I still don't get why you start your game with your DD disc, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

Also, I don't know what you mean by altitude wobble?

Theorist
Original Poster
#36 Old 12th Mar 2015 at 5:14 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 13th Mar 2015 at 9:21 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I'm glad you got it straightened out, Rob. I still don't get why you start your game with your DD disc, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

Also, I don't know what you mean by altitude wobble?

Might be because of what @marka93 said yesterday, that my version of DD is a newer one with the latest game version. I just looked at the fine print around the outside edge of the disc with a magnifying glass and it says Copyright 2008 and 2009. Usually, the latest copyright year shown on a product is the year it was manufactured, and 2009 would be the year after DD was initially released, so I suspect my particular disc has the latest version of the game, just like AL and M&G. So the game sees this and that's why it asks for the DD disc when I start up. My guesses.

By altitude wobble I mean the lack of camera control at anything above about the 4th floor. As I said, I had Gunmod's Camera Mod 3.1, which is great for building and seeing the entire neighborhood, but it doesn't do anything for the altitude wobble.
There are several camera mods available and I'll just try them until I find one that does what I'm looking for. I'll probably try Tom Duhamel's Enhanced Gameplay Cameras: High Altitude Option first, since that seems to be what I'm looking for.
Looking at the vanilla game cameras again today just makes me wonder how anyone can even play the game with them, it's ridiculous.

BTW, the various camera mod creators usually tell people to make backup copies of the vanilla game cameras, in case they have to go back to them, but apparently my experience in the last 24 hours seems to indicate the game will regenerate the camera files automatically. I certainly did not reinstall the generic camera files after Gunmod's files disappeared in my game last night.
Undead Molten Llama
#37 Old 12th Mar 2015 at 6:25 AM
Well, as long as your game works, I suppose it doesn't matter which disc you use to start it with. (I still prefer no disc, myself. )

And, ah, well, I'd never build/play any building that tall. Two usable stories, max, for me. So, I've never experienced any kind of wobble. But I use Tom Duhamel's other cameras in my game, and I like them. So, I hope that fixes the issue for you. And yeah, I don't know that I could play without camera mods. At the very least, I'd likely never be taking pictures without them.

And I'll bet the cameras reset for you when you started the game with the registry messed up. The game probably thought it needed to refresh all the files, given that it wasn't "seeing" all of your EPs. Usually, you do need put backups back in, unless you just remove your The Sims 2 folder, load the game, let it regenerate everything and then plug in selected folders back into the new The Sims 2 folder. Either way works, in my experience. Same thing for lighting mods, actually.

Page 2 of 2