Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 4:06 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Does the Sims 3 work with Windows 10?
I was wondering if anyone here has installed windows 10 and if so does the Sims 3 work with it?

I have searched the web for an answer but can't find a clear one from either EA or Microsoft so I figured this was the best place to ask. I'd like to get Windows 10 while it is free but not if it means a bunch of my programs and games will stop working.

I really wish Microsoft would put out an easy to follow guide to which games and programs will and will not work with it's OSes, it's so hard to get an answer to questions like that with google.

Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 5:38 PM Last edited by 310175 : 1st Aug 2015 at 8:22 PM.
You have a year to install Windows 10 for free. As previous experience suggests, it is always good to wait a bit before upgrading. I haven't heard anything to the contrary when it comes to Sims3, but drivers and other programs you might not even be thinking about at the moment might need an update that might or might not be available at this point.

So, I think patience is a virtue. What I learned for now is this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...ivacy-settings/

There is a reason it's free.

I found the following over at the Asylum:
http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...w-tips-how-tos/
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2015 at 12:40 PM
Okay thanks a bunch. I really like 7 and Vista pretty much destroyed my laptop back in the day so I will be waiting.

I just didn't want to find myself paying for ten latter when you have to upgrade to install new programs, that is all.

Thanks for the advice.

I will say this I have used both 8 and 7 and it looks like Microsoft at least listened to the feedback about what was wrong with 8 when making ten. It still doesn't explain how you jump from Windows 8 to Windows 10, I am sorry but that is just stupid. I mean it makes it look like Microsoft can't even count to ten without screwing it up.
Instructor
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2015 at 9:55 PM
Crinrict tried Sims 3 and Sims 2 UC on a pre-release version of Win 10 and they both worked. They mention that you might need to play it in compatibility mode.
That being said, this is in no way a 100% 'Sims will work' but a 'it SHOULD work.' However, it is best to wait. More simmers might report something different.
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 4:02 AM
I was running Windows 8, just upgraded to Windows 10 and both my Sims games, 3 and 4, seem to be working fine.
Test Subject
#7 Old 9th Oct 2015 at 8:57 AM
My Sims 3 works fine on Windows 10, the only problem I have is that some of the Mods no longer work on Windows 10. PosePlayer, NoIntro, NoSparkles when building are just a few that no longer work with Windows 10. Which really is a bummer because those are the ones I use the most.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dragonsgirl
My Sims 3 works fine on Windows 10, the only problem I have is that some of the Mods no longer work on Windows 10. PosePlayer, NoIntro, NoSparkles when building are just a few that no longer work with Windows 10. Which really is a bummer because those are the ones I use the most.

Mods run against the game engine, they are not dependent on operating systems.

What many (not all) players who have upgraded to Win 10 have found is that they have to pull their entire game folder out of Documents to their Desktop or some other location for safekeeping thereby forcing the game to create a new one the next time it's launched, then set up the Framework and reinstall all of their content, mods, worlds, sims, etc. in order to get them all recognized and working. If you go this route, you would be able to copy your saves back in from the old folder to the new one once you reach a point where they would be playable again.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 1:56 AM
Works perfectly fine for me, even when I was running the beta Windows 10. You shouldn't have any problems as long as your computer is updated and whatnot
Field Researcher
#10 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 4:46 PM
Sims 3 runs but it seems to be loading slower and playing slower. I am not entirely happy with Windows 10.
Test Subject
#11 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Mods run against the game engine, they are not dependent on operating systems.

What many (not all) players who have upgraded to Win 10 have found is that they have to pull their entire game folder out of Documents to their Desktop or some other location for safekeeping thereby forcing the game to create a new one the next time it's launched, then set up the Framework and reinstall all of their content, mods, worlds, sims, etc. in order to get them all recognized and working. If you go this route, you would be able to copy your saves back in from the old folder to the new one once you reach a point where they would be playable again.

I'm experiencing this problem. The game is running perfectly, but none of the custom content is working. Are you saying I need to put my EA folder out of the documents and onto my desktop, and then redo the framework? I'd really appreciate your help - yours is the only post I've seen so far referencing this problem.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Oct 2015 at 5:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Taylertott
I'm experiencing this problem. The game is running perfectly, but none of the custom content is working. Are you saying I need to put my EA folder out of the documents and onto my desktop, and then redo the framework? I'd really appreciate your help - yours is the only post I've seen so far referencing this problem.

Right place, but the "The Sims 3" folder not the EA folder. The EA folder should stay put as it has to be there to hold the new game folder that will be created.

I don't have Win 10, am just going by what others with that issue have reported. And you have nothing to lose as you can always put the old game folder back if this somehow makes things worse or more difficult to deal with.
Instructor
#13 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 8:33 PM
You shouldn't have any problem playing TS3 with Windows 10, but if you worried that Windows 10 might not be the right one for you but you want to get it early while it's free, then just go download it, download and install the MediaCreationTool (x86/x64), and then when the download menu is ready, don't choose the 1st one (to upgrade your system) but choose the 2nd one to install it to another PC, you'll need a usb drive to do this, don't choose to save it as an ISO, I don't know why but it just didn't work for me after I downloaded it, the ISO never been created and the tmp files were gone therefore I have to re-download it

After your download is completed, you can install it later either to upgrade your system or fresh clean install (but you'll need to purchase Win 10 key for fresh clean installation activation), and if you have spare hard disk you can try it there then decide if it's the right one for you.
Scholar
#14 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 5:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Deeney
Sims 3 runs but it seems to be loading slower and playing slower. I am not entirely happy with Windows 10.

My experience is actually kinda the opposite. Loading and saving seems to be faster in 10 than in 7, actually, though the game seems to get more hickups while playing. I have mostly the same mods and CC installed (well, a few more hairs though), though at least NRaas and AwesomeMod are updated and have slightly different settings, so it's not entirely apples to apples. It's also off a Samsung 850 Pro SSD, so I don't know how it would work off a classic hard drive.
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Oct 2015 at 5:50 PM
Well thanks for all of the info. I am still waiting to upgrade because everything run perfectly on Windows 7 right now, but all of this information was very helpful and I am glad I have it.

Thanks again.

My PC specs.
Windows 7 64 bit,AMD FX 4300 quad core processor, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, 1 gig Geforce 9500 graphics card, patch 1.67.2
Every time I reinstall the game I run it clean without any CC, not even the store bought stuff so it isn't CC or mods that cause me trouble.
Test Subject
#16 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 6:44 AM
I'd just like to tell u guys here that my game didn't work on Windows 10. It's painful, excruciating, and super annoying as you can imagine. I'm still looking for ways to get prevent it from crashing every 20minutes. Anyone experiencing the same please tell me what do you guys do to solve the problem because I know on some people it runs OK on others it always crashes =(
Instructor
#17 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 9:43 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 13th Jan 2016 at 10:37 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by paraffin
I'd just like to tell u guys here that my game didn't work on Windows 10. It's painful, excruciating, and super annoying as you can imagine. I'm still looking for ways to get prevent it from crashing every 20minutes. Anyone experiencing the same please tell me what do you guys do to solve the problem because I know on some people it runs OK on others it always crashes =(

I've been getting myself familiar with Windows 10 lately, hope this could help solving troubles with TS3 problem in win 10 and its mods, 1st of all make sure that all of your TS3 installation and its mods are trouble free in your earlier windows OS, then you can upgrade your win 7 or 8 or 8.1 to win 10, after you upgraded your win 7 or 8 or 8.1 to windows 10, make sure you installed the proper windows 10 drivers for your hardware, with this you will unlikely having trouble with TS3 and its mods in windows 10.

In Windows 7 (or XP), you might not have any trouble with TS3 and its mods even if you don't installed proper drivers for your hardware, but in windows 10 (or 8 or 8.1) it's a different story, so please make sure you have all the proper drivers for your hardware before upgrading and/or migrating to win 10.

For upgrading from win 7 or 8 or 8.1 to windows 10:

1. Disconnect your internet connection for the time being while you're upgrading your windows.
2. Make sure you have win 7 or 8 or 8.1 drivers properly installed and running, assuming you don't have any trouble with your TS3 and mods in those versions of windows, then..
3. Go ahead upgrade it to windows 10
4. Install your win 10 hardware drivers, restart your computer.
5. Try to run TS3 in win 10, your TS3 and its mod should be fine, but you have to set your device config and options all over again just like a brand new TS3 installed.
6. Make sure your FPS limiter works, otherwise you might need nvidia inspector if you're using nvidia card(s), for ATi card(s) you might need other software to limit your FPS
7. When it's all good then connect your internet connection back and activate your win 10.

Note: if everything is ok after you have upgraded to win 10 and you don't want to roll back to your old windows os, you can remove your old windows from Disk clean up menu to safe space in your hard drive or SSD.

Now for fresh and clean windows 10 installation: If you have upgraded your windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 to windows 10 and activated your copy of win 10, you might want to have a fresh and clean windows 10 in your system. To do this, from the steps above, just continue it with the next steps below (this will ONLY be valid if you have upgraded your win 7 or 8 or 8.1 to win 10 and activated your copy of win 10, you'll need win 10 key if you haven't upgraded it and activated your windows 10 copy)

1. Back up everything you need to add later in win 10.
2. Disconnect your internet connection.
3. Plug in your flash disk windows 10 installation copy, or windows 10 DVD installation disc.
4. Format your HDD or SSD and continue with its installation. (Note: press skip when it asked you to enter your windows 10 key)
5. After its installation is done, before you install your hardware drivers for windows 10, you need to install Net 3.5 (2.0 and 3.0 included) for windows 10

Note: Net 3.5 (2.0 and 3.0 included) are already in your copy of win 10 installation flash disk or DVD disc, you just need what drive is your flash disk drive or DVD drive, open your file explorer and see what drive it's plugged in or inserted in.

6. Now right click on win 10 start button, select Command Prompt (Admin)
7, Type (or copy and paste) this:

Quote:
Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Note: change "E" to your flash disk drive or DVD drive accordingly, mine was "E".

8. Enter
9. Exit command prompt and restart your computer

10. Install all your win 10 hardware drivers
11. Install your TS3 and your mods file the same it was as in your previous OS
12. Run your game, your TS3 should be fine if there's no problem with your mods as it was in your previous windows os.
13. Reconnect your internet connection and/to activate your windows back.
14. And you're done.

Hope that helps
Test Subject
#18 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 7:40 AM
Default The Sims 3 is not compatible to windows 10
Quote: Originally posted by EvilMcNastySim2015
I was wondering if anyone here has installed windows 10 and if so does the Sims 3 work with it?

I have searched the web for an answer but can't find a clear one from either EA or Microsoft so I figured this was the best place to ask. I'd like to get Windows 10 while it is free but not if it means a bunch of my programs and games will stop working.

I really wish Microsoft would put out an easy to follow guide to which games and programs will and will not work with it's OSes, it's so hard to get an answer to questions like that with google.

Thanks for your help.

I just ran the base game through comapatability mode, ran a test and it said the launcher was not compatible to windows 10
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JANMODDER
I just ran the base game through comapatability mode, ran a test and it said the launcher was not compatible to windows 10

Weird, haven't seen that warning when I reinstalled the game on my freshly updated Windows 10 (from Win 8.1), almost 3-4 months ago. Well one thing though, I haven't installed it under compatibility mode, there was no need for it on this machine, just update the windows update, drivers (GPU card) for compatibility with windows 10 and Sims 3 (patched through 1.67) ran just fine.
Test Subject
#20 Old 29th Nov 2015 at 3:56 PM
I can play the game on windows 10, but it has an annoying glitch in create a sim where the face appears normal but there's a white/grey shadow from the neck down and on the clothes making it impossible to see what you're doing. I thought it was the 1.67 patch so I uninstalled and then re-installed the base game only without patching. Nothing changed. I didn't have this problem on my old Compaq Presario with windows vista. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite now which came with windows 10 installed. A lot of people seem to be having different problems.
Instructor
#21 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 3:47 AM Last edited by PapaEmy : 2nd Dec 2015 at 4:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by JANMODDER
I can play the game on windows 10, but it has an annoying glitch in create a sim where the face appears normal but there's a white/grey shadow from the neck down and on the clothes making it impossible to see what you're doing. I thought it was the 1.67 patch so I uninstalled and then re-installed the base game only without patching. Nothing changed. I didn't have this problem on my old Compaq Presario with windows vista. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite now which came with windows 10 installed. A lot of people seem to be having different problems.

It seems like you don't have win 10 proper driver installed for your video/graphic card, but it's awkward because your Toshiba came with win 10 installed already, but just in case, why don't you check your device manager, just right click on win 10's start button and click Device Manager, click on Display Adapter, if it says "Standard or Basic display adapter" or perhaps its says Intel or Nvidia or ATi driver but came from MSFT version of driver, that means you don't have the right driver(s) for your device installed.

You can search and download it from Toshiba if that's the case, but if it's not available (yet), try to look from your video/graphic manufacturer, or you can try to use win 7 or 8 or 8.1 drivers to work in win 10 but you have to install Net 3.5 first as I mentioned above, and then when you install your win 7 or 8 or 8.1 driver, right click on its setup.exe before you run it and use compatibility mode for win 7, click apply and then run your driver installation, there's no guarantee that this will work (if win 10 says it won't work with it) but I have tried it in my old LGA775 system which doesn't have drivers for win 10 and it worked, but mine wasn't for display adapter but for my motherboard SATA AHCI controller, I used win 7 driver for my SATA AHCI controller and now my SSD and HDD works accordingly as its manufacturer standard.

The problem with win 10 it doesn't came with Net 2.0 and 3.0 installed when it was installed from fresh/clean installation, so win 10's users have to installed them separately, but when win 10 was upgraded from win 7 or 8 or 8.1 it does came with Net 2.0 and 3.0 installed from older windows installation, but even so, in my case.., win 10 removed previous windows drivers that was installed earlier, therefore win 10 users still need to install the latest drivers for win 10 whether it was upgraded from older version of windows or from fresh/clean installation.

I hope this could help to solve your issue, I think this is not only for TS3 but for all program applications that were compatible for older windows but not necessarily compatible with win 10, so far my old system works fine with win 10, just make sure you have Net 3.5 that came from win 10 installation flash disk or dvd installed and have the latest drivers for win 10.

PS: [Edited] I forgot to mention, please don't forget to reinstall your DirectX SDK (you might need it for older games or programs), MSFT Visual C++ 2005 2008 2010 2012 2013 Redistributable (TS4 needs Visual C++ 2013), both for 32 bit and 64 bit if you're using 64bit OS.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 3:11 PM
There was at least one person at the Asylum who was having problems with The Sims 3 and Windows 10. But it was on her sister's computer, not her own. To find out more, go to http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php...f-sims-3/page-3.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 3:28 PM
Since 'upgrading' to 10 and getting the new patch, I can't play any more. The game will launch but whenever I try to enter or create a neighbourhood, it just loads for eternity. I've done a full re-install and tried various compatibility modes but not managed to fix it so far.
Theorist
#24 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 4:54 PM
Well my personal experience is that windows10 is running Ts3 seemingly better than ever before.
I don't know for sure, but I've noticed, with the RAM, that it's no longer always pushing 7.9 out of my 8GB of ram like when I was using Windows7. Even in a very heavy town like Barcelona, it will hover around the 5-6 GB mark. Before it would be higher. And I am running in high power mode too. I don't know for sure but personally I have had a smooth transition to Windows10.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Instructor
#25 Old 2nd Dec 2015 at 6:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by samhain
Since 'upgrading' to 10 and getting the new patch, I can't play any more. The game will launch but whenever I try to enter or create a neighbourhood, it just loads for eternity. I've done a full re-install and tried various compatibility modes but not managed to fix it so far.

I think this issue is more related to the latest patch from EA for TS3 instead of win 10, there's a thread about the latest patch in general discussion and I think a lot of people trying to avoid it, I didn't installed the latest patch, I only patched it up to 1.67 and have no problem with TS3 and my mods collections in win 10.

PS: I also always start TS3 from TS3W.exe to by passing its launcher unless I need to add something to the game that required launcher to execute it.
Page 1 of 2