Tutorial: how to change genetics after home plastic surgery *FREETIME update* 06/11/2008
Alas, alas, the simplified method was not meant to stay!
Freetime has apparently changed some things about genetics, which means that the simplified method of changing your genetics won't work anymore.
And so, I present to you once more, the slightly longer version, it's only a few clicks more, really...
The version of SimPE I used for this is 0.68 (I know the screenshots say otherwise, but opening your neighbourhood hasn't changed since then, has it?)
1. Open Simpe, then open your neighbourhood via the neighbourhood browser
2. Open the Sim browser
3. Find the Sim that has recently been to the plastic surgeon (they're listed by their first name) and click "open"
4. You'll see a lot of info. Click on "more" and choose "open character file"
5. Then the character file of your Sim opens. On the left hand side you will see "Facial Structure", click it and on the right hand side two lines will appear (if you've done plastic surgery that is!!!)
6. Right click the second line and choose "Extract..."
7. Save the extracted file to somewhere you'll find it again.
8. Right click the first line and choose "Replace..."
9. Now, this is IMPORTANT! Choose the file you extracted earlier, but choose the .simpe file NOT, I repeat NOT the xml file. CHOOSE THE .simpe FILE! Ohterwise your Sim will be left without a face foreeeever.
It depends on which you want to change, if you just want to change the appearance skintone, you can use Sim Surgery, but it's still a bit messed up because of University.
If you want to change the genetics you can find them in the neighbourhood file under Sim dna. What every line is you can find on the forum, search for Sims Dna and you should find a thread: mystery of Sims Dna revieled or something like that.
I don't have the facility to right-click either - my grey line stops when it gets to the Neighbourhood part, it doesn't mention the file (I have the latest edition of SimPE - version 35). I opened the file from the Character Files and did it that way (which is awkward as nowhere in SimPE can I find any mention of the character number) ... anyway, I changed it, but the file names didn't alter, the two lines still show as different and I don't know if they are meant to because there is no picture of how it is supposed to look once it's done. In other words, I have no idea if I will be passing on the new genes or the old ones! Only one way to find out, I suppose ...
Anyway, if it works, brilliant ... if it doesn't, I'm gonna have one ugly kid born because this Sim was one I made and it sort of went wrong!
If you look at the hex code and compare it between the two entries it should look exactly the same if the change took. I know it will look like gibberish, but it should be exactly the same gibberish lol.