Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#26 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Thranduil Oropherion
In a new survey taken by Time Out magazine, Brits come out on top as having the sexiest accents in the world.
(...)
Says a magazine from Great Britain...
Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 9:34 PM
I don't think American accents are sexy or hot at all. Although I'd guess that very few people find their own accent to be hot or sexy. I mean, if it's how you were raised to speak, it's got to seem pretty boring, right?

Anyhow, as an American who speaks with a General (or "generic") American accent (what most of us Americans consider as "no accent"), I do actually find British accents to be very sexy, as well as everything on the list except American accents. I actually like country and southern accents the least. It's how most of the uneducated and backwards people around here sound, so it has very negative connotations for me. There is also something about the Chef's Life lady's South Carolina accent that I just find very irritating. There is a guy on MotorWeek with the same accent, I really don't care for it. I like the northeast/Boston accent. I hated it when I was a kid, but now I like it. Maybe all those gangster TV shows and movies got to me. Recently had to talk to my dad's financial advisor about beneficiary stuff, she's in "Joisey" and I find her really entertaining to listen to. Sounds totally like the Janice character from the TV show Friends. Pretty awesome.

Russian/Ukrainian accent ranks up there pretty high for me too.

Resident wet blanket.
#28 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pizza
Nothing wrong with a bit of British patriotism Mr. Babilon
Nothing wrong indeed.

Mad Poster
#29 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stuart-grey
Scottish: I worked with a Scottish engineer. I'd go to meetings, and... need a translator. I'm pretty sure he was speaking English, but my Boss, who was from London, had to translate have the time. Usually he was pretty cool about how he did it, by repeating what was said in a casual off the cuff way. "So, Stuart, what what's your opinion of the data connection to the Domaflotcher being RS232 like Scotty said" and that sort of thing.
Too funny. Reminds me of this:

#30 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 11:22 PM
LMAO but Mr. Babilon *pouts* we're not all that bad!!!
Sure.

I've got more
#31 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 11:40 PM
I barely even have an accent, I just sound like a boring American :P
#32 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 11:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mordecai and Rigby
I barely even have an accent, I just sound like a boring American :P

Accents are relative. Other people have accents, everyone thinks they talk normal.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 16th Sep 2015 at 11:43 PM
Haha, I've from Minnesota and from what I've heard... "American" is the least sexy accent out there! Granted, there are a ton of individual accents in this country, (Southern, Boston, New York, Valley-girl, Mid-west etc) I don't think I've ever heard someone call my accent "sexy". Now, hearing a Southern accent REALLY makes me cringe, but I quite like Australian and English accents )
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#34 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 1:20 AM
I used to think I don't have an accent, until I moved to Kansas and everyone around me there mentioned it. Then I picked up that Kansas twang and moved back home to amuse my friends and family with my new accent. (Which I eventually lost but it was fun while it lasted.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#35 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 1:33 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 17th Sep 2015 at 2:05 AM.
I don't see how an Irish accent made the #3 spot - some Irish accents are deeply unfortunate. Mine is a mild Dublin accent (due in part to the time I spent at school there) I can show you how 'unfortunate' some Irish accents are ... I don't expect anyone here to understand a word being said ... I'll translate the first line ..
"I'm sick of other countries saying we're *piss heads, it's not true!" ..... *piss heads = too fond of the drink.

Scholar
#36 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
I used to think I don't have an accent, until I moved to Kansas and everyone around me there mentioned it. Then I picked up that Kansas twang and moved back home to amuse my friends and family with my new accent. (Which I eventually lost but it was fun while it lasted.)

"Oh, are you from down south? You've got a southern twang."

"No... I'm from Delaware."

"Wait, isn't Delaware a southern state?"

"Only like five feet of it."

"Well then you have a southern accent!"

I hate out of staters trying to tall me what my accent is. -_-

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#37 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 1:50 AM
I do, Irish accents can be incredibly sexy. Gerard Butler's Irish accent (although put on) made PS I Love You an incredibly easy watch.

Yes, his accent was interesting all right, not sure what that was supposed to be .. but on behalf of Irish men everywhere, I thank you for your comment :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#38 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 1:58 AM
I thought Gerard Butler had a Scottish accent, which is half the reason all the adults in How to Train Your Dragon I & II had to speak with Scottish accents. The other half was because of Craig Ferguson.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 2:02 AM
Yes he does- he had to put on his Irish accent for PS I Love You
Ah - ok, I haven't seen that yet. I used to think all Irish accents were hot, but changed my mind after watching The Fall. Some of them weren't quite so hot, although all of them were interesting.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#40 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 2:18 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 17th Sep 2015 at 2:29 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Ah - ok, I haven't seen that yet. I used to think all Irish accents were hot, but changed my mind after watching The Fall. Some of them weren't quite so hot, although all of them were interesting.

Not to get too political about it but some of us wouldn't count the place where 'The Fall' was based, as Ireland at all. It's Northern Ireland, a whole other place entirely. A whole other country. They don't have Irish accents as I know them.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 2:28 AM
Not to get too political about it but some of us wouldn't count the place where 'The Fall' was based, as Ireland at all. It's Northern Ireland, a whole other place entirely. A whole other country.
Maybe that explains the accents?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#42 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 2:41 AM
Maybe that explains the accents?

Definitely
Top Secret Researcher
#43 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 3:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
That 27% obviously excludes my own accent (Forest of Dean) which is the antithesis of sexy.

Those are wonderful accents, save for the American*, perhaps. [...] *American is my own, so I barely notice an accent in many cases.

Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
I'm British and I wouldn't even consider it the accent to be the hottest accent IMO (no offence)

Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
I'm not a big fan of English accents. Maybe it's because I grew up in Northern England with a Welsh/Midland accent.

Quote: Originally posted by efolger997
I'm surprised "American" even made the list. I just have a general American accent, not southern or northern.

Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat
I don't think American accents are sexy or hot at all. Although I'd guess that very few people find their own accent to be hot or sexy. I mean, if it's how you were raised to speak, it's got to seem pretty boring, right?

Quote: Originally posted by LivLove93
Haha, I've from Minnesota and from what I've heard... "American" is the least sexy accent out there!

I don't see how an Irish accent made the #3 spot - some Irish accents are deeply unfortunate. Mine is a mild Dublin accent...

Methinks I see a pattern.
GnatGoSplat is probably right: your own accent is boring because it's what you're used to. Someone with a different accent has a lot of different experiences and a different view on life, so they could be very interesting to talk to.
And if you're going by biology, there was a study once where they had people sniff armpit sweat. Turns out people are more attracted to scents from people with different immune systems, because that means healthier babies. Different accents is an audible clue that someone might be different enough, so nobody has to go digging around in anyone else's pits.

But none of that excuses my liking for alien languages in sci-fi.

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#44 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 3:25 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 17th Sep 2015 at 3:37 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by hugbug993
GnatGoSplat is probably right: your own accent is boring because it's what you're used to. Someone with a different accent has a lot of different experiences and a different view on life, so they could be very interesting to talk to.
And if you're going by biology, there was a study once where they had people sniff armpit sweat. Turns out people are more attracted to scents from people with different immune systems, because that means healthier babies. Different accents is an audible clue that someone might be different enough, so nobody has to go digging around in anyone else's pits.

Interesting I'm going to think about that one .. But it leads me onto the whole thing about being addicted to a lover's smell, I am very aware of it in a relationship, especially in a new relationship - it's almost primeval in a way. For me it's a gut level instinct to want to know the smell of her hair or her neck if I haven't touched her before. Mother Nature has a lot to answer for with her tricks to get us to fall in love and breed And you could be right, the audible cue of accents could very well be another of her tricks.
Theorist
#45 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 3:38 AM

You yearn for the Enochian Voice of Command, to live your life as a thrall to the Old Ones and to be consumed by their Eternal Darkness.

It's a little like sniffing armpits, except then you're eaten.
Top Secret Researcher
#46 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 3:54 AM
Oh, I'm turned on by Lovecraftian beings? Welp, time to become a Paranormal Romance heroine and screw the world over so I can get laid my true love's eternal happiness!

Ia, ia, Cthulhu fhtagn!

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Mad Poster
#47 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 3:56 AM
No love for Arabic accents I see. :/

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#48 Old 17th Sep 2015 at 4:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
No love for Arabic accents I see. :/

I had an aunt who married an Arabic gentleman .. she thought his accent made him was sex on legs.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 3:50 AM

Yess I remember hearing about this! They had a bunch of people get t-shirts all sweaty, and had other people smell the shirts.. People who were sniffing the sweaty shirts of their family members were repulsed by the smell, while non-related people.. not as much.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 18th Sep 2015 at 5:40 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 18th Sep 2015 at 6:15 AM.
British, French and Japanese accents.

British ones, especially on actors like Julian Sands can entice and influence me.

French is a consoling one (makes sense, my dad is part French)

Japanese is "thrill of the chase" when hearing it when English is used with it (I was heartbroken when Satoru Iwata died because I wanted to commend his pronunciation of English speech in Japanese and if he were to rebuff, I would sincerely insist his English was great.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Page 2 of 3