Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Oct 2015 at 11:57 PM
Default The Doll Hobby Thread
Originally started by @PANDAQUEEN but deleted for reasons.

Before deletion this thread was really picking up, so let's get back to it I was able to go back enough in my browser history to get everything said in the original thread, which I'll post here (related to dolls only) in quotes

So, let's carry on from where we left off!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 12:05 AM
Thank you very much for the pictures of the doll joints etc. SuperSimoholic. I am making my own BJD and even though the parts are conected by string and not like that these pictures are very helpful
I think that the yarn for hair looks pretty nice I really envy your patience Have you ever thought about making a wig instead of rooting it? I think it is easier. (but I only made two wigs so far I can make a sort of a "tutorial" for you in case you would like to try it too)

I wouldn't say that I have a "doll hobby" but I really like dolls. My grandmother is collecting porcelain dolls and her collection is really huge already. I once asked her why she is collecting them and she told me that as a child her family couldn't afford dolls or any "fancy" toys so now she is absolutely happy when she can buy a doll...I find it very cute

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 12:11 AM
do you have any pictures of your project Crowkeeper?

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Instructor
#4 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coolsim22
do you have any pictures of your project Crowkeeper?

Yep I posted some pictures in another thread a while ago so I will just copy it here I am still waiting for a surface spray that I need for it and I also decided to make the legs longer(I made them super long firstly so I shortened them a bit...then I shortened them some more and now they are too short:D:D:D)

Does anyone here have an experience with making acrylic eyes for dolls? I tried but...:D

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 12:29 AM
Quote:
They're basically the cheaper alternative to Ball Jointed Dolls (BJDs). BJDs are generally made of resin and are held together with strings (or maybe elastic? I'm not sure, I've never even seen one in real life, let alone owned one - Too expensive!) where as Obitsu dolls are made almost entirely of plastic and the joints are detachable. (i'll take some pictures in a bit). You can get an Obitsu body (not counting post and packaging) for under £10 and a fully rooted head for around £5 and one without hair for less. Where as BJDs are often in the £100s.

Is there a special place you buy Obitsu doll parts from? I'm interested in trying my hand at it. I had a quick look on ebay but they're quite expensive at around £15 with £10 postage for a body (minus head).

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 1:38 AM
Glad to help, Crowkeeper and omg yes! Do it! Make a tutorial and post it here! It'll be super helpful, not just for me but for anyone else who might want to try it.
Also, I remember that BJD from the other thread and again, i have to tell you how amazing it is! You're so skilled and talented!

I got my first obitsu from The Junky Spot. The cheapest post and packaging was about £8 (i messaged them) but unless you ordered loads to make it weigh a lot more, it shouldn't be much more than that. On this site the body like the one I got is like £11 (but the money is in $ on the site) and the heads are all a little cheaper. I mean, if you count P&P in the cost, a full doll will generally come to about £20-25, but for the amount of customisation and compared to BJDs it's a great price. I mean, some Barbies cost more than that and they care barely articulate and you have very little choice on what she looks like.

I only get mine on special occasions like birthdays, christmas or anniversary, because even with all that stuff I said, I do agree that £25 is a bit much to spend on a toy at any other time of the year :P
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 10:45 AM
@PANDAQUEEN, do you have any pictures of your doll projects that you were on about in the other doll thread?

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 10:57 AM
@PANDAQUEEN, i hope you don't feel like you can't post here, like coolsim22, I'm also interested in what you do with your dolls, just like I'm sure lots of other people are.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 6:37 PM
My hobby started in 2007, when I was living in an apartment prior to a move for my benefit. At the time, Dollfie had a 27cm Dollfie which could be customized with doll hair rooted in the head to start with and eye decals for a quick face up. About 2010, they discontinued the 27cm parts.

It wasn't until last year I got back to doll making, this time using Obitsu parts and decal eyes (early projects used gel pens) and yarn for hair.

Don't have any WIP photos right now.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 8:03 PM
As for projects beyond Strawberry Shortcake dolls, I have anime dolls from the Gundam series, Pokémon, Digimon and Sailor Moon dolls on my list. My big issue for all the dolls is finding doll fragrance, the right color yarn, the right decal eyes, proper fitting clothing, the right body (especially since I can't have Strawberry Shortcake with a DD sized bust).

So parts is my big issues in the hobby.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 8:11 PM
Digimon dolls would be super cool, especially with Tri coming out.

Mad Poster
#12 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
Digimon dolls would be super cool, especially with Tri coming out.

Well, to fit with the progression of the first story, I will do the 8 Chosen Children (P.S. I am half Jewish, and the terms "Chosen Children" and "Chosen People" do not have any connection. In Japanese, the literal translation is Selected Kids for Chosen Children and Chosen People is translated back from Japanese into Judaism's People. Hence how I don't use the dub term DigiDestined), then in Zero Two, The Chosen Children 3 years older with the new kids. This goes on chronologically.

Still, I have yet to watch the shows in full Japanese.

As for that remark on Strawberry Shortcake, I am trying to keep to the tradition of her being a young, flat girl.

Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 9:07 PM
How hard is it to root a head? I already have mohair and tools from Reborning days. But also I was terrible at rooting and is probably the main reason behind why I don't like making reborn dolls. I'm thinking of making an obitsu doll, a small 11cm one, and they offer heads with hair already rooted, which is stupidly long hair but I can cut it, but is it worth spending the extra money for hair I'm going to cut or should I just get a different head and root it myself? Also which head would be better for a first time? one with eye holes to put eyes in, or one which I put stickers on?

Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 9:40 PM
Rerooting is a complex process and the complexity differs between the combination of material and tools. If hair isn't an issue, I recommend styling the head yourself and using decals for a first time on the face up.

Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 9:54 PM
How many dolls have you made so far Panda? do you make them as part of an occupation as well?

Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Nov 2015 at 11:54 PM
How many dolls have you made so far Panda? do you make them as part of an occupation as well?

I made about 15 dolls between 2007 and 2010 with Dollfie parts.

About a year or so back, I found my entire collection cracked under the weight of my father's tax files.

So I went online and checked out Obitsu after seeing brilliant work involving simple dolls to stuff beyond your wildest dreams.

As of late I have one finished doll, male, resembling a 1900s inventor trapped about 110 years in the future. I have a work load which includes a WIP of a doll of Alice Cooper, my reasonable facsimile of my self and a request from my father which started with us looking at a book on Japanese street fashion and he asked if I could replicate the multicolored dreads and I took that request and ran with it. All my works in progress have not been touch since July 2015.

As for occupation, I am working on a movie animated in Chuckimation, an animation process that slightly moves the dolls while the camera is rolling.

This art has only existed since 1993, featured on kids sketch comedy ALL THAT with the first show that pioneered it: Action League Now, which involved incompetent superheroes who fought His Dishonor, the Mayor, who would resort to pollution, to erasing one's powers, to even infiltration and harm of the male members. In 1996, ALN! moved to cartoon variety show Kablam!, where it became a staple until the show Kablam ended in the early 2000s. The guest stars included, Brett Favre, Lou Rawls (who was a voice on Hey Arnold! as the mailman) and even KISS appeared in doll form and sang "Rock and Roll All Night (And Party Every Day)". So it received the notoriety for being a groundbreaking series to have an animation production that was dirt cheap and had quick turnaround from rough draft to final processes.

If you wonder what chuckimation looks like, go to YouTube and check "doll movies" and it should look like a kid playing.

Scholar
#17 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 12:01 AM
It would be great to see your WIP doll of Alice Cooper. You could use your camera phone or hold him up in front of your computer lense!
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 12:13 AM
do you use photoshop for the Chuckimation?
I've used it at school to make a stop frame animation for my GCSE photography. I just watch a bit of a chuckimation and it looks quite like a stop-frame animation.
This is the stop-frame animation I made last/this year I can't remember when, it's not very good but it was my first attempt, I've not had time to make another as I can only use PS at school and I didn't have a choice in making the one below. I think I've posted it here a while ago but I'll just repost it (sorry it's a bit OT):

Scholar
#19 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 12:29 AM
I can't help it. I think that's adorable. It makes me wanna try it with my Paintshop Pro.
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
I can't help it. I think that's adorable. It makes me wanna try it with my Paintshop Pro.

If you're on about my stop-frame animation, thanks.
It does take quite a lot of time to do. It would have been better if my tripod didn't keep moving out of place and if the lighting wasn't so bad at home. I've actually still got the plasticine fishes I made. I did make more than two but I was short for time so I ended up just using two of the fishes to save time. If I had the time and owned Photoshop myself I would definitely give it another go.
I've tried looking for free stop-frame animation programs online but I can't seem to find a decent program that I like.

Scholar
#21 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 12:53 AM
I can't afford Photoshop. Back when JASC still owned Paintshop Pro 9 I bought it. They had just come out with Paintshop Pro 10.
I bought it for half off, and it was already way, waaaaaaay less expensive than Photoshop.

I think Corel owns it now...I think the current version is X8. Nowadays it's like 60 bucks.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
I can't afford Photoshop. Back when JASC still owned Paintshop Pro 9 I bought it. They had just come out with Paintshop Pro 10.
I bought it for half off, and it was already way, waaaaaaay less expensive than Photoshop.

I think Corel owns it now...I think the current version is X8. Nowadays it's like 60 bucks.

I can't afford photoshop, but I found this site which is the next best thing. It's not perfect, but I used it for all my assignments in college.

Mad Poster
#23 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 7:28 PM
do you use photoshop for the Chuckimation?
I've used it at school to make a stop frame animation for my GCSE photography. I just watch a bit of a chuckimation and it looks quite like a stop-frame animation.
This is the stop-frame animation I made last/this year I can't remember when, it's not very good but it was my first attempt, I've not had time to make another as I can only use PS at school and I didn't have a choice in making the one below. I think I've posted it here a while ago but I'll just repost it (sorry it's a bit OT):

Actually, I jostled the dolls from offscreen to make the appearance of movement and I have a camera in my phone and a tripod to hold it in place. Once I get the test footage off my phone and on my computer to upload to my YouTube channel, you'll see how far I've come.

Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Actually, I jostled the dolls from offscreen to make the appearance of movement and I have a camera in my phone and a tripod to hold it in place. Once I get the test footage off my phone and on my computer to upload to my YouTube channel, you'll see how far I've come.

cool, look forward to seeing it. I'm sure you can upload videos onto youtube via phone although I've never tried it but I do have the option to upload onto youtube using my phone.

Mad Poster
#25 Old 2nd Nov 2015 at 8:37 PM
I actually edit the video in one of the video suites on my computer. That way, you don't need to click through the list of videos.

Here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyEIe92Fv8I

Page 1 of 2