Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 1:06 AM Last edited by NileBlue : 21st Nov 2015 at 3:01 AM.
A step by step guide of making custom TV channel
This is a guide for you to make your own TV channel in Sims 3.

I'm in great debts of Odistant and his wonderful tutorial (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=396117), and the discussion thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=349447). The steps and tools used in this guide I almost all got from him and modders discussed there. Thank you guys! Without you, I could do NOTHING!

Since I have trouble uploading my files here, I uploaded the files somewhere else.
You can download the files at:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1sjtID45

You'll see a folder named "Sims 3" there. In it, there are two files, download them both.
Unzip the "A Step by Step Guide of Making Custom TV Channel.zip" to get the guide.

This thread is for the discussion of the guide. Please, I need your feedback!

Best Regards!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 3:40 PM
I spend half hour trying to download this file. Is this some kind a mind-breaker?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Nov 2015 at 4:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by martlet
I spend half hour trying to download this file. Is this some kind a mind-breaker?

Poor me!
Move your mouse pointer near the size of the file (11.9M, 2.9M), near the left side of the numbers, there should appear a "download" icon.
Click the icon, the download should begin,
Field Researcher
#4 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 10:10 PM
NileBlue, thank you for doing and posting this tutorial.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 1:37 AM
NileBlue, I have been reading and following the steps of the tutorial to create my own television channel that I will be using in-game, and everything is fine until I get to converting the video in the VP6 Converter. I get the .avi video in fine, but when I try to load the .dat file, the program will not respond, then crashes. How can I fix this so it will run properly? Again, thank you for this tutorial.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Dec 2015 at 11:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by magdalenepoet
NileBlue, I have been reading and following the steps of the tutorial to create my own television channel that I will be using in-game, and everything is fine until I get to converting the video in the VP6 Converter. I get the .avi video in fine, but when I try to load the .dat file, the program will not respond, then crashes. How can I fix this so it will run properly? Again, thank you for this tutorial.

Could you illustrate the problem in more detail? I didn't meet this situation myself.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 8th Dec 2015 at 2:45 AM
I was going to say that the problem occurs on VP6 Converter 0.08, but does not occur in VP6 Converter 0.05. I say this because I have both of them. I was able to convert the videos I was using to vp6 format successfully on the latter. I also have Windows 8 on my computer, in case that would have something to do with VP6 Converter 0.08 crashing. And as I said, the problem occurs when I try to load the .dat file. Please let me know if you need more information on the problem.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Dec 2015 at 11:28 PM
I was going to say that the problem occurs on VP6 Converter 0.08, but does not occur in VP6 Converter 0.05. I say this because I have both of them. I was able to convert the videos I was using to vp6 format successfully on the latter. I also have Windows 8 on my computer, in case that would have something to do with VP6 Converter 0.08 crashing. And as I said, the problem occurs when I try to load the .dat file. Please let me know if you need more information on the problem.

My system is Windows 7, and I never have problem with the VP6 Converter 0.08.
I think the crashing might to do with the Window 8.
BTW, if you have successfully converted the VP6 file, did you go all the way with the guide, and did your mod work?
I'm asking because I want to know if the guide needs amending.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 2:05 AM
Hi NileBlue,
I did go all the way with the guide at first, and my mod does work. I did go back and redo the videos to play from beginning to end, and they work fine. However, my mod did conflict with your AniNation channel mod. Before I put my mod in, I had AniNation, and it played. However, when I put my mod in, it stopped working. I used the Sims 3 Dashboard to check for conflicts between the two, and they did conflict. Otherwise, everything works fine.

I was thinking Windows 8 was making the VP6 Converter 0.08 crash. I am also wondering about possible solutions to this. Please advise.

magdalenepoet
Field Researcher
#10 Old 9th Dec 2015 at 11:47 PM
I checked my computer to see what made the VP6 Converter 0.08 crash, and I went into my Task Manager to see what other programs were running when I ran it. My antivirus and antimalware program, VIPRE, was running at the same time; in fact, it ran the most when the other was on, and shut it down. Therefore, it seems that the VP6 Converter 0.08 is being treated as malware by my antivirus and antimalware program. I sent a false-positive report to the company that makes VIPRE, ThreatTrack Security, Inc., and I am waiting for their response. I also set the VP6 Converter 0.08 as an exception in VIPRE. Just wanted to give an update on the problem, and to see how I could make my computer not treat the VP6 Converter 0.08 as malware.

Note: The VP6 Converter 0.05 is not treated as malware by VIPRE.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 10th Dec 2015 at 12:43 AM
Hi NileBlue,
I ran the VP6 Converter again, and whereas my first video made it crash, my second video did not. The first video was large, whereas the second video was of a smaller size. I was going to say that people who use the VP6 Converter 0.08 might want to use videos that are small, and not large, such as videos that are only 1 to 3 minutes long, whereas longer videos should be given a start and end point in Virtual Dub, like you mentioned in your tutorial. I was going to say that the start and end points should encompass at least 1 to 3, maybe 4 minutes long, in a video to be used in The Sims 3 game, so that the game will not be lagging, and also so the VP6 Converter 0.08 will not crash. These could be future points mentioned in the tutorial. I just wanted to let you know.

magdalenepoet

P.S. About my previous message, my antivirus program ultimately had nothing to do with the problem of the VP6 Converter 0.08 crashing; it was, as I mentioned in this message, the size of the video I was converting. So do not worry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Dec 2015 at 12:48 PM
Hi NileBlue,
I ran the VP6 Converter again, and whereas my first video made it crash, my second video did not. The first video was large, whereas the second video was of a smaller size. I was going to say that people who use the VP6 Converter 0.08 might want to use videos that are small, and not large, such as videos that are only 1 to 3 minutes long, whereas longer videos should be given a start and end point in Virtual Dub, like you mentioned in your tutorial. I was going to say that the start and end points should encompass at least 1 to 3, maybe 4 minutes long, in a video to be used in The Sims 3 game, so that the game will not be lagging, and also so the VP6 Converter 0.08 will not crash. These could be future points mentioned in the tutorial. I just wanted to let you know.

magdalenepoet

P.S. About my previous message, my antivirus program ultimately had nothing to do with the problem of the VP6 Converter 0.08 crashing; it was, as I mentioned in this message, the size of the video I was converting. So do not worry.

Thanks a lot for your insight and input.
As for the crashing of your mod and my AniNation mod, I think it's because there are 2 TV.xml in these 2 mods. Like I metioned in the description of AniNation mod, TV.xm; should be unique.
If you want to keep both mods. I think you can
1. Export the vid clips (Ani_1, Ani_2) and xml of my mod.
2. Edit your TV.xml, besides your channel, add another channel, name it "AniNation". The setup of this channel should be the same as my "AniNation" in the TV.xml of my mod.
3, Inport Ani_1, Ani_2 into your mod file, as my guide detailed.
4, Add new channel titles in the STBL Editor in your mod. You can title the "AniNation" whatever you like.
5. Use EasySTBLmanager to edit new title translations.

In short, combine the 2 mods just like you're making 2 channels.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 10th Dec 2015 at 9:02 PM
Hi NileBlue,
You're welcome, and anytime. I will see about combining the two channels. Also, about VIPRE treating the VP6 Converter 0.08 as malware, they got my message about that, and fixed the problem with new definitions for it that do not treat the VP6 Converter 0.08 as malware. So, people who use VIPRE (including me) will not have to worry about it treating the VP6 Converter 0.08 as malware anymore, which is good news. Good luck with everything!

magdalenepoet
Test Subject
#14 Old 4th Mar 2016 at 9:42 PM
I've tried downloading the tutorial and I get to a page that doesn't exist. Is it available anywhere else?
Test Subject
#15 Old 7th Mar 2016 at 1:08 PM
Hi! I wanted to download the file but the file has been removed/doesn't exist aand I really wanted to make my own channel. Can you upload it somewhere else? Pretty pretty please! Thank you very much!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Mar 2016 at 2:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tootsiebell98
I've tried downloading the tutorial and I get to a page that doesn't exist. Is it available anywhere else?

Please try:
http://pan.baidu.com/s/1hrogD9M

Hope this link would work.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th Mar 2016 at 2:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lunatriix
Hi! I wanted to download the file but the file has been removed/doesn't exist aand I really wanted to make my own channel. Can you upload it somewhere else? Pretty pretty please! Thank you very much!!

Please try:

Test Subject
#18 Old 8th Mar 2016 at 8:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NileBlue
Please try:

It worked great! Thanks! :D
Test Subject
#19 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 7:11 PM
How to add custom channel (movie) to "Large as Life Movie Screen"?