Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 4th Dec 2015 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I would have been interested to see how they did say goodbye, as that's been when they're more likely to kiss in my experience. On the other hand, part of me was saying nooo, don't screw up your relationship just to test something for us, Andrew. :O
I tested it again the next day.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 4:20 AM
I'm also inclined to believe the kiss greet problem arose from a later EP. Years ago I played with only the base game and Uni, and I can't recall ever seeing the kiss greet. Going by that and what AndrewGloria says, it would seem maybe Apartment LIfe is the cause? I'm fairly sure we can at least eliminate Uni and OFB.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 8:50 AM
And Nightlife, which is supposedly the romantic EP. When did we get all the fancy greetings?
Mad Poster
#29 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 11:49 AM
I think it was Bon Voyage

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#30 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 12:21 PM
AL added the group greetings - High five, Fake out - they are indicating to which social group a townie belongs. BV added the local greetings (for the vacation hood).
That romantic good-bye kiss - no idea. But it has no consequences, as far as I can see.
Banned
#31 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 12:34 PM
I should mod the sh*t out of my game to make it more Sims 3-like (in the gameplay sense) and enjoyable. But with no WiFi going to the computer for some really strange reason, its hard. Stupid WiFi dongle, has to be such a xenophobe to new computers.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 1:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
I should mod the sh*t out of my game to make it more Sims 3-like (in the gameplay sense) and enjoyable. But with no WiFi going to the computer for some really strange reason, its hard. Stupid WiFi dongle, has to be such a xenophobe to new computers.

Download stuff from the computer you're using to write that, put it on a USB. That's what I do.

and Sims 2 is plenty enjoyable as it is give it some time to grow on you.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#33 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 2:40 PM
I should mod the sh*t out of my game to make it more Sims 3-like (in the gameplay sense) and enjoyable.
@Aaron4Ever, For the benefit of those of us who don't know TS3 at all, can you be a bit more explicit about what features of TS3 gameplay you'd like modded into TS2?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#34 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 5:12 PM
Sims 3-like ? There was a reason why I went back to Sims 2 - actually there were at least two,,,,, or three...... or five hundred .... Was it the single family in the hood that I was allowed to play? Was it that staring at the outside of a building (work place/ theater/ hospital/ whatever) was quite boring? Was it all that running/ driving around on roads that I have seen enough of in the first three hours of play? Was it my one twin being thrown into jail after doing NOTHING wrong?.... And then came out completely useless later? Was it looking around for that stupid fruit of life and get almost no extra time after all the trouble? Was it the neighbours moving away in the middle of the night just when my young Sim has fallen in love with the pretty daughter? Was it because the Sims were so boring?
And then I even tried Sims 4!!!!
Let me go and count the ways; I mean - reasons - of why I love Sims 2 again
Mad Poster
#35 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 5:31 PM
I was talking on skype with one of my friends and he wanted to know what he and another friend of mine (lets call him Bob)'s love child would look like so I quickly made them in CAS. I showed him and he was amazed that sims 2 could make genetic offspring. He had no idea, he's only played Sims 3 and 4. I'm not sure why he presumed that it couldn't (and also that Sims 2 has toddlers). I thought it was kinda funny

For the record, their love child was cute. So then all my friends wanted me to see what their babies with Bob would look like. Poor Bob

Mad Poster
#36 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 11:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
That romantic good-bye kiss - no idea. But it has no consequences, as far as I can see.

I thought that it was considered cheating if viewed by a significant other and/or created crush flags?
Mad Poster
#37 Old 5th Dec 2015 at 11:55 PM
It definitely came with M&G, because I had AL from Day 1 and never saw it till then. And the kiss of greeting/good-by that started then has no consequences, no matter who witnesses it. No one knows why, but if you don't want to stick in yet another mod to get rid of it (and there is one) it doesn't affect your storylines.

Kisses not generated by this bit of weird code do have consequences, regardless of when they're given.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 12:42 AM

I don't understand how you can make Sims 2 more like Sims 3. Explain?

The only two improvements that Sims 3 had that I can think of was open world and casT and you can't mod those in. Changing shoes was nice and you can get bottom only cc outfits in sims 2 to do shoe changes. That's all I can think of.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#39 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 4:42 AM
I've never touched 3 (won't let it near my computer) and I swear with the new graphics card and extra zest, it does look similar to 3, but it plays much nicer.

Why would one switch games if it is more fun but the graphics are different? Never saw the need-even with the open neighborhood. Too many other problems to contend with before I'd even consider it.

Oh well, to each his own.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#40 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 6:32 AM
Want to make a yellow room in Sims 3 : go through one thousand and three very pretty sofas; find one. Now go through one thousand and three very pretty chairs to find the matching one - oh, hell, went to fast - start over - pick up the matching yellow chair on the 24th try.

Sims 4 - pick up the whole room and slap it down, the only affordable one - and it looks kind of boring. No yellow.

Want to make a yellow room in Sims 2 - nice matching stuff by either Michelle or iCad - five minutes later, have a pretty (in my opinion) yellow room
Forum Resident
#41 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 7:21 AM
Unpopular and unsolicited opinion, coming through! Boopedeeboopboop.

I'm not really sure it's quite fair to be so negative about the later iterations of the game. Each game has its own charms, quirks, and disappointments. But that doesn't mean you should bash it.

Most of the things Petro pointed out about TS3 are easily fixable with a few mods. And TS2 is the same; you need mods in order to prevent your game from imploding in on itself! Let alone all the other mods that make all of our playstyles different from one another's.

Anyways, I'm tired as all hell and can't be damned to stay up and write an essay about this, but the point is... All games are with fault. Doesn't mean you should grouch about one being worse than the other, though. See the positive in everything. And if you absolutely hate one game, don't talk about your hatred for it. The world's filled with plenty of hate as it is. Because honestly, there's no point, and all it does it spark arguments. And I surely wouldn't want to see Andrew's remake of TumaSims' thread get deleted because a couple of folks got a little too passionate about the whole TS2 vs. TS3 debate.

"God created dinosaurs. God destroyed dinosaurs. God created Man. Man destroyed God. Man created dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs eat man...Woman inherits the earth."

- Michael Crichton, Jurassic Park

My Simblr | Hadi Family Tree
Mad Poster
#42 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 8:34 AM
That is perhaps true. Yet I have played Sims 2 without ANY mods or CC for around 6 years. For around two years, I only had the base game and I started my custom hood after playing Strangetown and Pleasantville for a while. My custom hood lasted for FOUR AND A HALF years before vanishing into space - and in all those years, I loved playing the game. We had a horrible internet connection back then. When I started playing Sims 3, I also played without any mods at all. And, although I could easily download stuff for Sims 4, I just do not want to. So my comparisons are perhaps unfair, since I pointed to CC re the decorations.

And, yes, the Sims 3 is a pretty game, as is Sims 4 (which I actually prefer to 3, because the Sims, with all their stupid emotions, are actually quite charming - but no mod on earth is going to put a toddler in that game. So mods cannot fix everything).But I kind of missed Sims with actual personality in Sims 3.

The day when I find somebody who plays Sims 3 WITHOUT any mods - and enjoys it - I may change my opinion.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#43 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 9:01 AM
I'd like to know what the 2 disagrees are for. You don't think open world and casT were improvements or...? Those are the things I see mentioned by people who play sims 3.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 1:28 PM
The thing is, Jo, I have a pretty good computer and TS2 scales very well, but TS3 does not. In TS2, I spend a couple of seconds waiting on a loading screen when I go to a community lot, in TS3, I watch them drive, and then I got to load the venue anyway (without a loading screen, but I gotta wait anyway).

Also, in TS3 I can control multiple people at different spots in the neighborhood, which is very nice, but I hardly do so, because of the constant load times when switching between two or multiple sims. And while it seems nothing like that is even possible in TS2, we do have community time and sethour to regulate time spend away, and we have teleporters and make selectable/add to family so we can still simulate our sims visiting one another (something which due to travel times, other sims not being at home and routing to doors is, again, quite a hassle in TS3).

The only thing we definitely cannot do in TS2 is visit the space between community lots and watch our sims drive around. But I don't really miss that.

Cast is another thing that is absolutely amazing in theory but horribly executed. It is a lagfest, even on an amazing computer, and if I give two objects the exact same color, for some reason, they usually still don't match at all (While, in TS2, if I have a pink lack-colored chair and a pink lack-colored table, they always do).

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy TS3, and if I had to chose between the TS2 base game, unmodded and the TS3 base game, unmodded, I would pick TS3. But TS2 is much more flexible, both when it comes to performance as well as moddability, and after all these years, many of the plus points of TS3 got less and less interesting to me (like cast, which I hardly use, even on a very good computer, because it is super slow with all EPs, and the open world, and story progression, which is so unusable if you play generational that you might as well not have it at all), while TS2 has only gotten better over the years, thanks to mods, big and small, wonderful lots and beautiful cc.

Sorry about that rant. XD I have a lot of feelings about this.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 2:18 PM
The things I like about 3 are:

-Open world
-Ambitions Professions
-More detailed face meshes (mainly around the nose)

I actually go back and forth between the games based on what I feel like playing. Right now I've been on a major TS2 binge.

I actually hate CAST because I feel that its presence gave the devs the excuse to be lazy and not put in good, matching recolors of everything or a big variety of objects in general. Plus, bedding besides uniform patterns is impossible, which I dislike. Most of all it slows down the game. CAST was a great, great concept, but I feel it was poorly implemented.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Mad Poster
#46 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 3:00 PM
I don't think it's so much as that we hate the game, it's more that Aaron is trying to make one game into another. Like ordering a cheesecake off the menu and then telling the waitress he wants it more 'apple pie-like'. Just order an apple pie. Unless I'm mistaken and there's some reason Aaron can't play Sims 3?

Either way, they're both different games. I own both, but I get easily irritated by sims 3 because it has a lot of glitches I don't like, and I hate the graphics. Sims 2 is a lot more sandboxy and I know my way around the game well enough to do whatever I want. I can't even work out how to make new neighbourhoods in Sims 3, and I don't really buy into the whole 'pay to play' new neighbourhoods and DLC clothing collections.

Aaron, I hope you don't take that as me being angry at you. I'm just saying you should keep to a game you like. Maybe if you want to play sims 2, try to enjoy the game for what it is, instead of what it isn't.

Theorist
#47 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
It definitely came with M&G, because I had AL from Day 1 and never saw it till then. And the kiss of greeting/good-by that started then has no consequences, no matter who witnesses it. No one knows why, but if you don't want to stick in yet another mod to get rid of it (and there is one) it doesn't affect your storylines.

Kisses not generated by this bit of weird code do have consequences, regardless of when they're given.

It can't have come with M&G because I had romantic-yet-consequence-free hello and goodbye kisses in my Mac game, and Mac games only go up to BV. If you didn't have it in AL and you did in M&G, there are three possible explanations:
1) You had it but didn't notice, because it is dependent on chemistry and you had incompatible chemistry
2) You had a mod that suppressed the behavior, possibly as an unintended side effect, and that part of the mod got broken in M&G (or fixed, if it was unintended)
3) EAxis broke it post-BV and then fixed it again in M&G (Given their track record, this is pretty highly likely)

But I know for a fact that those kisses existed well before M&G, because I spent four years cussing at my screen every time that code kicked in.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#48 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 4:29 PM
Hm...Let's see...I started with Deluxe, University, Seasons, Pets, and AL. I added Freetime by itself and didn't notice greeting kisses although I always have lots of good chemistry going on in Drama Acres. I added OFB, BV, and M&G all at once; but Andrew has OFB and he doesn't get them; but Macs don't have BV and you got them, so - argh, I'm so confused!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#49 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 5:05 PM
BACK TO THE TOPIC OF RANDOM ...

Still hasn't found more body hair for my male sims, found some facial hair though.

But still need MORE... MORE ... MORE... MORE...

Also, needs to introduce more sims into the neighbourhood! Hmm... ideas ideas...
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 6th Dec 2015 at 5:35 PM
One of my biggest issues with rebuilding Cedar Hollow is the fact that I need to create a bunch of varied, unique Sims to populate it. I killed off the social group townies (which was a LOT harder than it should have been), and there weren't any normal townies to start with. Also, I stink at making unique male sims as well, so if I'm not careful, I'll end up with a neighborhood full of girls, which would be great for the local womanizer, but not so great for my more traditional family play style. Even if playing a womanizer can be fun. I just want to populate this hood before I want to go back to the Kaye family and have Ana activate Servo.

Oh, and there's also having to furnish some of the houses; I rarely want to build, so I usually stick some resized Maxis lots in the hood and call it done. Well, except for the fact that those lots need furniture.

-sbugg
(If you're curious on how to pronounce my screen name, I pronounce it "ess-bug".)
Obsessed with the lives of virtual people who run to scream at fires since 2012.
Page 2 of 509