Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Replies: 751 (Who?), Viewed: 44560 times.
Page 1 of 31
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 4:03 PM Last edited by HarVee : 14th Dec 2015 at 5:17 PM.
Default More Random bollocks
Starting this thread again because cheese is awesome, yes? Cheese will rule the world. Bow down to the mighty cheese and embrace its cheesiness!
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 4:19 PM

All hail!

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Scholar
#3 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 4:31 PM
The Secret History of Mac & Cheese

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 4:33 PM
cheese goes well with bacon. IamDeath would go well with bacon. Pizza bacon - with sweet pineapple of course, not spicy meat.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/..._n_2243675.html

Namaste
Alchemist
#5 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 4:44 PM
As a Dutchy, I already feel at home here.

Edit: wait. Flaming? Mudtracking? What happened?

German humor isn't a laughing matter.
#6 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 4:51 PM
I'm responding with a PM so that we don't rehash it over here and get another thread locked.

Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 5:07 PM
Was the previous one locked?

Tsk tsk.

I just saw a documentary last night about Italy and parmigiana cheese. I live a reckless life.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Spice Pony
#8 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 6:29 PM
Yeah, I'm baffled, too. Did this have something to do with the This Forum is Boring thread? Nevermind; don't poke the moderators.

Incidentally, I see that I'm now a Space Pwny. Much better. Is it as awesome as Deranged Geocentrist? I don't know, but I'll take it, lest I end up an Indecisive Prat.

I guess it's like a Space Pony, but with more pwnage. Seems respectable. I like it.

You know, there's another forum I spent a brief time on where the final title one could acquire was a custom one of your choosing. Maybe something like that will eventually be implemented here.
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 6:41 PM
when I was younger I heard and believed that the moon was made out of cheese, maybe it was because of Wallace and Gromit

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#10 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 6:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewenk7
(...) Nevermind; don't poke the moderators.

(...)
You called?
Instructor
#11 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 6:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewenk7
You know, there's another forum I spent a brief time on where the final title one could acquire was a custom one of your choosing. Maybe something like that will eventually be implemented here.

Whatever the last achievable title is, I'd hate to be stuck as that for the rest of eternity. Choosing titles at that point would be rad.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 6:51 PM
I like the idea but also there would need to be policing of titles.

Since people are so fond of putting things like. Genitalia in their titles.

So in other words, probably won't happen. I wouldn't want to be the mod having to troll around and Warn/Ban people for indecent titles.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
#13 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 6:55 PM
Ah, thank you for reminding me. Users can also be warned and banned for inappropriate signatures.
Scholar
#14 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 7:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siletka
I like the idea but also there would need to be policing of titles.

Since people are so fond of putting things like. Genitalia in their titles.

So in other words, probably won't happen. I wouldn't want to be the mod having to troll around and Warn/Ban people for indecent titles.

Just a heads-up. To let you know - users cannot access their titles.
I've never seen an indecent title. But if there are users with "genitalia in their titles" ...etc,
it cannot have been put there by a person who doesn't have proper access.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 7:57 PM
Cheese has so much calories ... *looking at my Troika*
Banned
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 8:01 PM
So does Peanut Butter. But they both go quite well with each other oddly.
Scholar
#17 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 8:40 PM
On the way to my exam I stopped at the supermarket to buy to buy the Trésor cereal. Betraying supermarket betrayed me, so I ended up with sliced cheese (Gouda) and two bread rolls. Doesn't really make up for it though
Spice Pony
#18 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 8:43 PM
Hey, question. How would you all define canon in a fictional context? Is it synonymous with continuity, or is it something about original artistic vision?

Because the former I'm cool with. The latter, outside of the narrow context of a single work or collection of works by one author, seems kinda snobby and obnoxious, and I think I don't care about it.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 8:44 PM
ewenk: Space Pony is a title that only lasts a brief time (like a few more posts and you will earn the next title). Many people think that title is Special, so enjoy being Special Space Pony for the day!
As for other titles, there was a long thread with people licking about the ankles of mods trying to get special titles - that dubious honor is more rare than Space Pony!

Namaste
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 8:54 PM
I'd say it's closer to the definition of continuity.

The Star Trek Universe is a good example. On the one hand, you have the original shows. On the other, you have the Expanded Universe. I'm familiar with a lot of the novels. The main shows are generally accepted as canon - except The Animated Series, which the original showrunner did have a hand in (except for one episode which is canon). Also, the episode Threshold, which has the dubious honor of being the only episode of the live-action shows that was ever dropped from canon in the actual shows (a comment made in a later episode explicitly denied the events of that episode). The expanded universe generally isn't - except for things like Sulu's first name. And then some of the later Star Trek series don't match Gene Roddenberry's original vision at all. In fact, his visions don't match between TOS and early TNG. And then Gene died and Best of Both Worlds happened and took the entire franchise in a much darker turn. DS9 does not match Gene's vision at all, but it's still canon.

All the non-Trek fans are blinking in confusion right now.

Overall, canon is what's widely accepted as continuity, even if it doesn't necessarily match the official continuity.

Now what dammit?
staff: moderator
#21 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 8:55 PM Last edited by maxon : 14th Dec 2015 at 9:08 PM.
Stilton.

Also <adjusts mortarboard> canon - originally meant (one meaning anyway) source materials, books, writings of various sorts about stuff (originally religious texts) that is considered to be original and authentic. Hence the meaning when used in a gaming context to mean germane to the creators of the game (e.g. that Garrus is Shepard's friend is canon to the Mass Effect universe despite the fact that some Sheps can behave badly towards him).

It also means, if you're a classical musician, a contrapuntal piece which uses a melody which is closely followed and overlapped by the same melody (though it might be transposed and/or have elements of the melody changed though always in a consistent way). I don't think that has any wider-world usage. They're also really hard to write without the melody being completely banal.

<brushes off chalk dust and steps away from the board>

That is maxon's useless information snippet for the day. You're welcome.

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876

Polls: length of neighbourhood play: http://www.strawpoll.me/10908815 & http://www.strawpoll.me/10908842

Thread for yakking about making TS2 stuff
Spice Pony
#22 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 9:32 PM
Wow, things have been crazy around here lately.

Anyway, regarding canon:

I've just been thinking about it a lot due to the recent Star Wars reboot. People say that Legends is non-canon, but is that really accurate? If canon and continuity are the same thing, then it logically can't be, because it's a more-or-less internally consistent story stretched across a body of work. (This is why I've taken to referring to the new continuity as "Disneyverse" [rather than "canon"], a term which sounds pejorative, but really isn't; I'm quite fond of the new stories thus far, though I don't like them any more or less than the originals.)

If it's about artistic vision, though, then it gets weird. I mean, firstly, you've got the implication that some works are somehow inherently better than others by virtue of conforming to some arbitrary and abstract standard. And would Lucas' vision be the one which counted in this case? If that's the case, wouldn't the Disneyverse also be non-canon, based on their choice not to use all of his ideas? Sure, he's endorsed it; he's said he enjoys it and he's contributed his input, but the same could be said of Legends. Or does the legal ownership of the brand define the relevant artist? That seems kind of weird, but it makes sense in the context of our culture. Still, though, the idea of relying as an entity as nebulous as the Story Group to be treated as the artist seems kind of weird. And even if that works, it still brings me back to my earlier point: it seems weird that one of two separate official works can somehow be "more official" than its counterpart.

I dunno. I think we kind of lean on the concept too hard. It's useful, but it shouldn't be treated like gospel. Then again, maybe we screwed that up when we decided to call it "canon".
Banned
Original Poster
#23 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 9:59 PM
One knows how to rock the Casbah, but he cannot tell what is in a Wunderbar. ...Perhaps that is part of the Wunder.
Banned
DELETED POST
14th Dec 2015 at 10:21 PM
This message has been deleted by leefish. Reason: flaming
Instructor
DELETED POST
14th Dec 2015 at 10:27 PM
This message has been deleted by pizza.
Banned
#24 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 10:34 PM
God damn it, this site has gotten mad. I'm going offline for a bit, I'm in a mix of emotions right now.
If I get banned for speaking my mind, then Article 19 of the UDHR is my argument.
EDIT - To justify, haven't seen anything blocked over here in this purge from Delphy since ScaryRob crippled this section.

Listen...I'm going through some tough times right now, probably the five stages of grief IRL.
#25 Old 14th Dec 2015 at 10:37 PM
Don't forget to take your Wasserwerfer with you. Otherwise I might abuse it, too.
Page 1 of 31