Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 1:28 AM
Default Hair Mesh Not Showing up in game?!
I edited a hair mesh, but every time i import it it shows up in sims 4 studio but not in game, and the original mesh shows up instead. what am i doing wrong?
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 1:39 AM
You would need to attach the package for anyone to give you a useful answer.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 8:44 AM
Here's the file: .package
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 10:32 AM Last edited by Esmeralda : 1st Feb 2016 at 10:54 AM.
I took a quick look at your .blend and unfortunately there are multiple issues. Your hair mesh has for some reason got a body mesh attached to it - see the left side of the below pic where I grabbed the mesh and pulled it to the side! And looking in Edit View with Show Weights enabled, your mesh has no bones assigned to it (as seen on the right where it shows as all blue; assigned bones would appear in red). No bone assignments is one reason a hair wouldn't show up in game.

So, you're going to have to either carefully delete the body mesh from the hair or replace it with an earlier copy of the mesh before a body got attached to it, and then give the hair its bone assignments either manually or by transferring them from a similar length default hair.

Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 10:07 PM
hey i think i succeeded at assigining bones, but now when i try to put my texture in i get this error
Mad Poster
#6 Old 1st Feb 2016 at 10:24 PM
The error message shows that you're using an outdated version of Sims 4 Studio, 2.6.0.8. Download the current version, 2.6.1.2, and see if you still get that error: http://sims4studio.com/thread/562/s...sugar-open-beta . If you still get an error, you'll need to post the details of the error at the Sims 4 Studio site rather than here, as only they will know what it means. Glad you at least got the bones assigned!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 2:15 AM
Oh okay! thanks so much for all the help! could i ask you one more thing? you seem like you know a lot about this stuff...i dont know much.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 10:15 AM
You can ask a question and if someone reading this thread knows the answer, they will (hopefully) try to help!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Feb 2016 at 11:52 PM
What does it mean when your hair's texture looks likethis in game? does it mean theres not enough texture there?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2016 at 9:38 AM
What that means is you have a hair mesh that needs a hair shader which uses an alpha channel that can be edited to make the hair mesh display in-game with wispy separate strands. TS2 and TS3 had that feature but TS4 does not. In TS4 the hair is all one solid lump with no wispy strands. Putting a hair like yours in-game will indeed show it as a mass of big pink blocky squares with the texture printed on them, as seen in your screenshot.

The only way I know (unless someone else knows better) to make hair use alpha in TS4 is to change its mesh shader from the default SimHair to SimGlass. The hair will then show the separate wisps, but, it will look like it's made of glass, including being able to see through the layers which may look awful depending on the mesh. Because of this, the only hairs I made for TS4 were ones that would work well with TS4's no-alpha 'clay hair' look. There are creators who use the glass shader and have been able to get around the transparency problems and make their hairs look acceptable in-game, but I'm not one of them, so I unfortunately can't help any further with that issue. Hopefully one of them will see this thread, or else you'll need to do some Googling for tutorials on how to make a glass-shaded TS4 hair look OK in game. Best of luck!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Feb 2016 at 7:59 AM
Okay i will look around for one! thanks for all the help!