Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 2:36 AM
At school I did French for two years, (ancient) Greek for four years and Latin for 6 years, but, if I was parachuted into ancient Rome, I reckon I'd manage about enough Latin to get myself taken to the Coliseum and thrown to the lions -- i.e. enough to get myself into serious trouble, but not nearly enough to get out of it again! As an adult I've tried to learn German, Arabic, Hebrew, and Scottish Gaelic. I've also dabbled in Russian, Sanskrit, Dutch and Urdu and am currently dabbling very ineffectually in Spanish. But of all those languages German is the only one in which I have achieved any fluency, apart from English, my native language. I started learning German with a Berlitz phrase book, and finished studying it for 6 years at university! I tried joining the German speakers social group here on MTS nearly two years ago, but am still the only person to post in it since 2012! So if any German speakers, native or otherwise, would care to help revive this moribund group, I'd be delighted! My German is now a bit rusty as I haven't been to Germany since 1997. The only other language I've actually tried to speak in earnest is French, but when I try that today, about a third of the words come out in German! I blame a lot on the appalling teacher we had in 2nd year in school (aged 13) who was too lazy to teach us and then blamed us for not learning! I have tried twice as an adult to lean more French but with little success.

But of course the language I would most like to speak fluently is Simlish. Why? Because it's mother tongue if most of my best friends! :lovestruc

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Inventor
#27 Old 8th Apr 2016 at 9:52 AM
I took Spanish in high school because I wanted to know what Ricky was saying to Lucy.
Scholar
#28 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 3:55 PM
I speak only English but I want to learn a secondary language which is Tagalog (Filipino Language)

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Mad Poster
#29 Old 13th Sep 2016 at 5:33 PM
English is my secondary language...

At school I took German classes, but we had so many substitute teachers (who barely knew a word in German) we didn't learn anything useful most of the time. So I can sort of decipher written German, but speaking it? No. I also know enough Spanish words to use Spanish sims sites, but not enough to keep a conversation going. A few other words in various other languages her and there, too.
Theorist
#30 Old 14th Sep 2016 at 12:42 AM
Native Dutch, English pretty well and I should speak German better than I currently do, but laziness prevents it.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Theorist
#31 Old 15th Sep 2016 at 6:28 AM
I learned an English dialect. It has a way of using certain words and a way of using repetition. Very, very amusing words and pauses, too. I wouldn't speak this way if I didn't find it amusing. Try it. What have you got to lose?
Field Researcher
#32 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:38 AM Last edited by cord11 : 16th Sep 2016 at 7:02 AM.
Bonjour, jemeaplle BonBon. Chat noir. orange, rouge, bleu, vert, mansion, au raviou, merci.

And that's what I remember from the grade 8 French I had to take, so yeah. I have been taking Japanese and am a bit better, as I can actually make sentences, and can read and write Hiragana, am just a bit fuzzy on Katakana, and can read just a few Kanji.

こいちわ はじめまして、私は cord11 です。カナダ人です。私は 十å…* さい です。日本語 お べん居します。さようなら。

Edit: so uh, Japanese text doesn't work very well on Mod the Sims.
Alchemist
#33 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 9:37 AM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 16th Sep 2016 at 9:39 AM. Reason: Durrrm commas!
I speak Dutch, German and English. I'm thinking of learning Danish as well, as 4th language, since I speak 2 Germanic languages already, and I somehow understand most of the content in a Danish text.

Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
Native Dutch, English pretty well and I should speak German better than I currently do, but laziness prevents it.

Dito, dito, I had to learn it since I live in Germany. I could help you

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#34 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 5:53 PM
I'm spanish and from a region that has also its own language so maybe we can consider the only foreign language I learned is english (at school). The other both are main native for me.
I learned classical latin and ancient greek (koine) at highschool but I couldn't hold a talk using them.

Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
Theorist
#35 Old 16th Sep 2016 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
I speak Dutch, German and English. I'm thinking of learning Danish as well, as 4th language, since I speak 2 Germanic languages already, and I somehow understand most of the content in a Danish text.

I count 3.

Quote:
Dito, dito, I had to learn it since I live in Germany. I could help you

I will try to think about it when I kick laziness out.

Alchemist
#36 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 7:44 PM
I count 3.

I will try to think about it when I kick laziness out.

English is Germanic too?

#37 Old 17th Sep 2016 at 9:48 PM
English is Germanic too?

Sure is I would even say English is far closer to norwegian than German. It's so hard with all the different genitiv etc, etc.

I have more than enough with all norwegian dialects
Alchemist
#38 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 12:45 AM
I speak drunkenese.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Theorist
#39 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 2:01 AM
English is Germanic too?

English is a West Germanic language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

The original Anglo Saxon people even originate from somewhere what is nowadays Germany.

Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Sure is I would even say English is far closer to norwegian than German. It's so hard with all the different genitiv etc, etc.

I have more than enough with all norwegian dialects

It's mostly close related to Frisian, a local language in a particular Dutch province.

dodgy builder
#40 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 6:19 PM
It's mostly close related to Frisian, a local language in a particular Dutch province.

hæ? I probably came in middle in a discussion and now I don't understand a thing

what is related to Frisian?

Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
I speak drunkenese.

I love those, then I get to refuse them any more drink
Theorist
#41 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 7:20 PM
I meant English...

dodgy builder
#42 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 7:53 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 18th Sep 2016 at 10:15 PM.
I meant English...

Ah ... the minor the merrier

Bravo, if you learn Danish, the road to norwegian and swedish is extremely short.
Alchemist
#43 Old 19th Sep 2016 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Ah ... the minor the merrier

Bravo, if you learn Danish, the road to norwegian and swedish is extremely short.

Part of my world domination plan.

I know that those 3 languages are similiar. As far as I know Swedes understand Norwegians and vice versa.
Since Danish is pretty close to Dutch, German and English in written form, I might give it a try.

#44 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 11:00 AM

I know that those 3 languages are similiar. As far as I know Swedes understand Norwegians and vice versa.
Since Danish is pretty close to Dutch, German and English in written form, I might give it a try.

Hey, just throw me a message if you need help with Danish! It can be a bitch, because some things just plainly don't have any rules. You're just supposed to know what's right. I'm so glad I didn't have to learn it.
dodgy builder
#45 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 11:28 AM

I see lots of misunderstandings though. Words can have different meanings, just like English really, so many traps there.
Theorist
#46 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 5:55 PM

You're trying to begin at the point Adolf Hitler had to stop?

dodgy builder
#47 Old 22nd Sep 2016 at 7:02 PM
You're trying to begin at the point Adolf Hitler had to stop?

I don't know where you come from Victor, but that name does not belong in polite conversation
Theorist
#48 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 2:24 AM
I just like very harsh humour and someone living in Germany talking about world domination. Sorry, but I couldn't miss such obvious chance. More or less self-mockery, too, with a German grandfather fighting in one of his armies during that war and living in one of the many countries occupied by the nazis, being one of the many countries to occupy this country!

Sorry that I move on (it's 70+ years ago!) and my use of humour is a way to cooperate with these situations!

dodgy builder
#49 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 3:29 AM
I would say it's timeless. Such people and their actions disqualify them from being mentioned. I wouldn't drag Pol Pot into it either, even though I hardly know anything about his action. It's just not something I would compare desent people with.
Theorist
#50 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 4:28 AM
I don't see why not. 99% of the perpetrators are already dead by now and the world is dominated by people from after that war or born during without experiencing the war properly. We can't live like this forever.

It's actually a perfect way to keep learning how people can behave against other people. Considering a lot of youngsters nowadays don't know who Adolf Hitler was. Yes, it's timeless, but that doesn't say we can't make jokes about it or whatever.

And sorry, you can't really walk passed the fact they had a major impact on human history, being a big part of our history. Regardless of how extremely bad their actions were.

Page 2 of 4