Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 7:05 AM
Italian is my first language, but I also know English (quite fluent), French (a bit less fluent but still fine), German (I've learned it from elementary school through High school but I never liked it so I never really "learned" it), Spanish (not that good) and once I started learning Dutch but gave up and since I forgot every single notion of it I would say the last one doesn't count

I'd love to learn japanese though! Even just a basic knowledge would be enough: I'd really like to dip into such a different language and writing system.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#52 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
I just like very harsh humour and someone living in Germany talking about world domination. Sorry, but I couldn't miss such obvious chance. More or less self-mockery, too, with a German grandfather fighting in one of his armies during that war and living in one of the many countries occupied by the nazis, being one of the many countries to occupy this country!

Sorry that I move on (it's 70+ years ago!) and my use of humour is a way to cooperate with these situations!

I live in Germany, that's correct, but I'm Dutch
And 'He' was Austrian

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#53 Old 23rd Sep 2016 at 3:50 PM
I don't see why not. 99% of the perpetrators are already dead by now and the world is dominated by people from after that war or born during without experiencing the war properly. We can't live like this forever.

It's actually a perfect way to keep learning how people can behave against other people. Considering a lot of youngsters nowadays don't know who Adolf Hitler was. Yes, it's timeless, but that doesn't say we can't make jokes about it or whatever.

And sorry, you can't really walk passed the fact they had a major impact on human history, being a big part of our history. Regardless of how extremely bad their actions were.

You misunderstand me. I come from a country where the goverment and parliament, with courts came back in business almost instantly. They had been in England all the time. We had our courtcases and hightreason cases.

It's the priciple I'm talking about. Accusing Bravo and in the same sentance accuse him of being a minor car thief or a bankrobber might be ok, a real crook like Hitler just isn't suitable for a comparison like that. What he did is just to bad. May I remind you that we had that horrible Breivik terrorist as well? It's just the scale of the crime he did. If you want to joke about it, find some minor guy who has some human qualities we can sympathize with. Not just a psykopath from Austria.
Theorist
#54 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 6:27 PM
According to Education First the Dutch are the best English speakers of the non English speaking world. According to Cambridge University just third, behind Estonia and Sweden.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Top Secret Researcher
#55 Old 15th Nov 2016 at 8:34 PM
Oh, my native language... Yep, It's weird.

I was just thinking today, while in transport, how certain words in my language might sound cuter than they do in english. For example, freckles (freckles skins for TS2 have been on my mind for a while)... ahem... freckles, yes. In my language they are written: PEGICE, and are prounounced as peggy+se (with that "se" having a bit of a c at the start as well). They are also a noun that has or does not have singularity depending on context of the word used.

Well, our grammar also has tenses, and long past/ forgotten action tense is quite illogical (just like in english)... we also have passive, present and future (who does not?), and their variations fit the english ones (a lot of them, like say all of the future I variations are just one tense "future I" here). Now we don't have perfects, but we have verb types that fit those as well. And there are more than one classification of verbs.

Now, adjectives, nouns, pronouns, verbs and numbers, all of those can change their form in various ways, while exclamations, particles, conjuctions, adverbs do not change form. That is the main classification of words here.

Then there are classifications of sentences or parts of sentences based on their meaning (question, information, wish, exclamation and command ), based on the way they were put together (simple, complex), based on their positivity (positve, negetive- this part is basically to set the difference between normal sentences and negated ones), based on their dependence (dependent, independent) and all of these have lenghty subcategories, especially classification based on dependence. Dependent ones are: expressive, dependently questioned, relationed, dependent by place, dependent by time, dependet by cause, conditioned, spited (I gave them this name in english), intentional, consequntial and executional.

And that is not even the tenth part of what we have. There is also the way nouns and adjectives change form, their classification, the categories of number, time, and so on, and so on... There are more than two set of rules for each type of word. And then there are exceptions... God, how lenghty grammar here is.

I'm still glad we have perfected alphabet. All of the words we write are pronounced as they are written, and there are no rules for pronunication (not minding the outdated, but still used regional dialects). It has 30 signs and each sign contains one sound that can be found in our language. Of course, with this globaization, lot of rules change not daily, but hourly as well, but the Alphabet or "Azbuka" (Serbian, cyrilic letter) as it is called here will probably neve change. And I am for it, as it enables great percentage of basic literacy troughout our country. Now, the people that can't even learn that, it is another problem for political and educational systems to worry about.

BTW, unrelated. But educational system here is finally getting significant reforms, which right now, as a concept sound extremely well thought-out and positive. I wonder how will they play outh though.
Field Researcher
#56 Old 16th Nov 2016 at 12:17 AM
Si, mi habalar Espanola. I am still learning sign language!
Forum Resident
#57 Old 1st Dec 2016 at 11:02 PM
I am only fluent in French my native language. So I don't speak English in fact. I learnt it but not enough to be fluent and to speak and write it correctly. I understand English a few when it's written only.
i learnt Spanish as well , i forgot almost everything and I was not good at it.

Bonjour (Bonsoir) à tout et à toutes les francophones du forum MTS !
I think I stop there .

I know this is a pathetic posts I envy people who knows how to speak correctly a lot of languages and they find a use in their life.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Theorist
#58 Old 2nd Dec 2016 at 5:19 AM
Actually, that small words parts depends on the situation. Official communication accepts less errors (the closer to 0 the better), even small ones, than informal communication. Non natives trying to learn and speak a language are faster accepted in making mistakes as most people are glad they even try to speak. And in case of natives, how often are these mistakes made.

And of course it's useful to speak multiple, especially speaking languages from multiple language families. Communication is a basic for human life and language at all is needed for that, not the less because of the globalisation nowadays, where either English, French (more or less) or both are basically mandatory, both offline and online in the international world. Being native in at least one of these two it's so much easier for you and you probably don't even know how fucked up it is if you're not a native, because the whole fucking world speaks your language, either natively or as a second language. In that case, you can't say if it's special or not, because you miss the urge. Especially in the USA, with Canada up north. That land is so fucking big with only one language.

If I go just over 100 km to the east, they speak another language (German), less than 100 km the south another one (French), Across the North Sea, less than 250 km away a third language (English), 450 km northeast Danish, 750 km north in a straight line Norwegian. From most points within the USA you stay within the same language area with those distances. The EU has a half a billion citizens and the official languages of the EU are two dozen alone, all official languages of at least one member state. With a lot more languages spoken in both Europe and the EU itself.

When you are American, shut the fuck up when it comes to judge about this.

Theorist
#59 Old 3rd Dec 2016 at 1:07 AM
Ah yes, like the USA is the only country in the World with immigrants in large numbers.

For your information. Europa is like the USA, but than with every individual state their own national language. Almost all difference of course.

Theorist
#60 Old 4th Dec 2016 at 4:34 AM
Says the person whose former post consists of only one single sentence of a much larger post, just like the one above this post. The irony is really really big in this one.

And where do I twist words in my comment, just partly quoted by you? It's just to point out how dumb your reference towards immigrants is. Serious, you're the first ever person I know to refer to immigrants and their languages in such discussions as languages spoken in a certain country, because the rest of the World uses only de jure and de facto official languages, with the USA being a giant English speaking country, not Spanish, not Chinese,not Korean, not French, amongst many others. They also have to learn English to get around, not the other way around.

The Netherlands is always referred as being a Dutch speaking country, not English (though it's official in some area's here), Polish, Arabic, German, Turkish, Indonesian, Chinese or whatever larger group of immigrants lives here, even in their own neighbourhoods and districts.

dodgy builder
#61 Old 4th Dec 2016 at 2:17 PM
Does fuck and shut up really belong in polite conversation? What about if we tried to be nice to each other?

The us may not have any official language, but it looks like many of them think they do. There is quite a lot of controversy about the amount of mexican immigrats coming across the border as Trump pointed out. If you are in big cities like New York or New Orleans I would expect to hear many different languages.

What I found amazing is how people can live in some southern parts of the us and not speak English? I mean they can't even communicate. It's like European contries like Belgium having 3 or more different language spoken and they don't have one language in common. I mean how can you run a country like that? It looks like they really don't either, do they have a government yet?

Last time I checked Netherland had 2 original official languages. In Norway we really have 2 the sami language and norwegian, but then they added that neo norwegian written language on top. Making English a official language? Really? I would be offended by that, what about being proud of being Norwegian? If immigrants come here they have to learn out language and contribute to the community we live in, assimilate I think it's called. If they don't we don't need them.
Field Researcher
#62 Old 6th Dec 2016 at 2:00 AM
Oui! I speak English and French! I'm learning Russian and German now and I've been around Italian since birth so I know a lot of it but not enough to say I really *speak* it.
dodgy builder
#63 Old 6th Dec 2016 at 11:39 AM
According to Education First the Dutch are the best English speakers of the non English speaking world. According to Cambridge University just third, behind Estonia and Sweden.

That has to be a very subjective statement lol. How can you prove that? Is that grades in school? In my view the Swedes speak horrible English said by a Norwegian, and I understand Swedish. Reminds me of the cup someone bought for me once. I'm a fish, is that saggitarius or something? Anyways, the person who wrote that must have had a very negative impression of a fish once. It was like "don't think you're good at negotiating" and stuff like that, very subjective it was

oh yea, and I'm probably going to have tons of negative feedback from Swedes now. Norway is a very different country. Like Snorre said in 1200, the coast of norway was all christian some places around 1000, while in the inside of the country they were all pagan some places. It's a big contrast, while Sweden has the biggest mountain being slightly higher than the Danish one? ... ok, it's 400 m lower than the Norwegian one, but most of Sweden is just flat, lucky bastards.

Point being it's much easier to travel in a flat landscape, in a hilly one you might live your hole life in the mountains and never meet a stranger. As a consequence in Oslo you might live your hole life only speaking English (a fact), while in hilly mountains you may never get to practice.
Theorist
#64 Old 9th Dec 2016 at 6:11 AM
Just ask EF for the answer on how they did it. I haven't done it myself.

And sorry to say, but we really have 4 official languages. 1 national (Dutch), 3 regionals (Frisian, English and Papiamentu), of whom the last two on the former Dutch Antilles. Or Dutch law must not be official enough.

Lab Assistant
#65 Old 9th Dec 2016 at 11:56 PM
Sim! My first language is Brazilian Portuguese
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#66 Old 10th Dec 2016 at 12:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
in a hilly one you might live your hole life in the mountains and never meet a stranger.

I guess living in a hole you might not meet anyone ever.

As to languages, unfortunately not. We did French and German at school 25 years ago, why I never know since the opportunity to use those languages here in Australia is slim at best. I think these days schools have a bit more of a clue and teach Asian languages which makes a lot more sense given where we live.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#67 Old 11th Dec 2016 at 10:39 PM
I can speak the language of pain when I'm in the dentist chair.
#68 Old 13th Dec 2016 at 3:44 AM
Nope. I keep thinking that I should learn Polish at some point since I have family in Poland, but at the same time, I don't think I'll ever speak it, seeing that I live in the US and barely speak to them anyway. The only other person in my family who speaks polish is my mom, but she knows English too, so It's kinda unnecessary.

I always wonder why it has to be Polish, though. I may end up having to speak another language like French or Japanese or something.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Test Subject
#69 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 5:10 AM
I can speak a good bit of spanish but that is it
Scholar
#70 Old 1st Jan 2017 at 5:36 AM
I speak fluent shitposting.
Field Researcher
#71 Old 5th Jan 2017 at 7:19 PM
I speak English and French, the latter from four years of it in high school and two years of it in college. I can also speak some Spanish and Russian. I keep thinking of learning Swedish and the other Scandinavian languages, but have not had the chance yet.

One interesting fact: once you learn French, it is pretty easy to learn Spanish or any of the other Romance languages if you get the chance to learn them. Or vice versa. This is because their words are pretty much the same, since the Romance languages are descended from Latin. Just my thoughts.
Mad Poster
#72 Old 6th Jan 2017 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by magdalenepoet
One interesting fact: once you learn French, it is pretty easy to learn Spanish or any of the other Romance languages if you get the chance to learn them. Or vice versa. This is because their words are pretty much the same, since the Romance languages are descended from Latin. Just my thoughts.

Haha, I might have to disagree on the ease with which you can segue between French and other Romance languages! So many different inflections and accents that are just too different (at least to my only-very-slightly-trained ear) from the other Latin-based languages! That being said, I'm fluent enough in Spanish that I can generally understand enough Portuguese or Italian to at least know what someone's talking about, even if I couldn't even come close to being able to respond in anything other than English or Spanish...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Instructor
#73 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 1:05 AM Last edited by sailorleontine6 : 22nd Nov 2017 at 3:03 PM.
i know i might be a bit too late to just type at this comment but other then english i do speaks dutch too (i come from the netherlands)

what are you talking about = waar heb je het over
are you pregnant = ben je zwanger
i don't know = ik weet het niet

and so there's more what i can translate but it might take too long when it's done

back to when i learned english my english was pretty much bad with talking and typing everything in english
i still have to learn some things though so it's not like i'm done with this language

and it's just a tip but: try to use less translates website's (especially google) as less as possible (i don't use the translates website quite often as less as possible) because they translate most of the things wrong (i had that quite often and when i typed something on youtube, nobody could seems to understand me )

just try to watch a movie/episode as soon as you can so your other languages are gonna be a bit better, that's how i learned english when i was younger :D
Test Subject
#74 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 7:53 PM
ASL and Quebecois, although that's not "real French", apparently. Chalice!
Test Subject
#75 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I would say it's timeless. Such people and their actions disqualify them from being mentioned. I wouldn't drag Pol Pot into it either, even though I hardly know anything about his action. It's just not something I would compare desent people with.

Or maybe the best thing we can we do with dictators who failed is make sure they are a joke for all eternity. What would piss off old Adolf more than being the butt of every joke from now until the end of time?
Page 3 of 4