Replies: 409 (Who?), Viewed: 19396 times.
Page 1 of 17
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:18 AM Last edited by MikeJMW55 : 15th Jul 2016 at 2:24 AM.
Default Tell me about your Integrated/For Sims By Sims hood!
How do you guys play integrated hoods? If you do, you'll know this is really intricate and tough to put together. Some players have town halls, post offices, banks, schools, all that actually function. But what I'm wondering is how, if it is possible do you use integrated playing in a BAC challenge hood? I have been interested in integration for a long time, but now that I'm doing the BAC challenge, I feel this would be the easiest way to play integration. How do you do it?

Edit:

How do you prefer integrated hoods?
How "integrated" do you get?
What mods help you do this?
Feel free to add pictures, and just have a nice conversation!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:24 AM
My integrated hood playing started as a BACC but the rules restricted what I wanted to do so it morphed. I had a large integrated hood in my old game but it got too big so I started Coral Bay. It's a small fishing town and I started it with the basics of a small town. A BACC might be a way for you to get into it, but I think the rules make it harder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
My integrated hood playing started as a BACC but the rules restricted what I wanted to do so it morphed. I had a large integrated hood in my old game but it got too big so I started Coral Bay. It's a small fishing town and I started it with the basics of a small town. A BACC might be a way for you to get into it, but I think the rules make it harder.

I have always thought it's so cool how people have working banks, governments with functional courts, it's amazing. How do you play? Do you use banks and those things?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 12:53 AM
Have you seen my career and business thread? I show a lot on there http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=561271

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 1:36 AM
Quote:
Have you seen my career and business thread? I show a lot on there http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=561271

I haven't seen it. I'll take a look. My only question though, is how do you even start an integrated hood? I want to do all the works and everything. I was talking to iCad and she mentioned that you have experience on hoods where you start with a tree cutter who sells lumber and in turn sims buy the wood make houses, etc...How would you even go about setting it up?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:05 AM
I had an island type hood away from everything, that one started with tree cutting. I started on a beach lot with camping gear and some of Beks chopping trees. One sim did nothing but sew, another two were on fishing, some on tree cutting. I made it that 70 piles of logs was enough for one small house. Visitor controller stopped mail and bills, all roads I took away.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:08 AM
Quote:
I had an island type hood away from everything, that one started with tree cutting. I started on a beach lot with camping gear and some of Beks chopping trees. One sim did nothing but sew, another two were on fishing, some on tree cutting. I made it that 70 piles of logs was enough for one small house. Visitor controller stopped mail and bills, all roads I took away.

So where do you usually start off in the beginning of starting an integrated hood? Im just lost a little bit.
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:21 AM
You could start it as a sort of "castaway" scenario, as Jo did. Start a neighborhood, plop a "wooded" lot on it, move in a batch of random Sims (individuals, non-couples) with different functions (The wood chopper, the woodworker (you could use crafting stations to "simulate" that), the food producers, etc.) Make it like a communal camp with tents or hammocks and grills for cooking, and...hmmm..."rustic" plumbing, start chopping wood and making stuff which you can (in your imagination, of course) "translate" into usable objects (like Jo's 70 bundles of wood = house thing. Maybe 20 pet bricks = one toilet. Or one chair. Whatever.) Make everyone garden and fish for food. Build up the "camp" into something a little less rustic for your woodchopper and his/her partner to live in. Then see which of your random pixels hit it off as couples (some always will). When they do, and they've "earned" their house -- according to whatever rules you decide about that -- move them to their own lot, build their house, they reproduce, those kids need to buy lumber for their house, etc. etc. When you have enough population, "elect" a mayor, make up laws, set up a tax system and a school system and all that, make up rules about immigration (meaning, adding new Sims/families), etc., etc.

Basically, you're mimicking how real towns sometimes start out, often as a settlement of just a few people that grows because there's a local resource or commodity that can be used, ultimately, to fund everything.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCad
You could start it as a sort of "castaway" scenario, as Jo did. Start a neighborhood, plop a "wooded" lot on it, move in a batch of random Sims (individuals, non-couples) with different functions (The wood chopper, the woodworker (you could use crafting stations to "simulate" that), the food producers, etc.) Make it like a communal camp with tents or hammocks and grills for cooking, and...hmmm..."rustic" plumbing, start chopping wood and making stuff which you can (in your imagination, of course) "translate" into usable objects (like Jo's 70 bundles of wood = house thing. Maybe 20 pet bricks = one toilet. Or one chair. Whatever.) Make everyone garden and fish for food. Build up the "camp" into something a little less rustic for your woodchopper and his/her partner to live in. Then see which of your random pixels hit it off as couples (some always will). When they do, and they've "earned" their house -- according to whatever rules you decide about that -- move them to their own lot, build their house, they reproduce, those kids need to buy lumber for their house, etc. etc. When you have enough population, "elect" a mayor, make up laws, set up a tax system and a school system and all that, make up rules about immigration (meaning, adding new Sims/families), etc., etc.

Basically, you're mimicking how real towns sometimes start out, often as a settlement of just a few people that grows because there's a local resource or commodity that can be used, ultimately, to fund everything.

Really good idea! I think what I really need to do is sit down and think about how I want my hood to function. So basically I want a government, Working bank system, post office, school, prison, hospital, etc...And then I need to figure out how I'll get them and how they'll work in my game. The biggest challenge for me is that it is really overwhelming.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:30 AM
My castaway island was an island hood that I downloaded. Affinity sims has the tree chopping. Yes, I started with a communal camp. So tents, an outside shower, a pee bush. The fridge was a camping one, with some camp seating. When they had 70 piles I allowed one hosue to be built and one couple moved there. I also had bartering between themselves, so your sim needs toddler clothes, go to the sewing lady and give her some fish or produce. They didn't need much money without bills or groceries. I would sell some logs to the air when money was needed.

Coral Bay is fishing and tourism town. There I started with the basics of a hiccup town. so here in Australia that is a pub, church, grocery store, police station, fire station. I had a farm, two fishermen. It grew from there.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:40 AM
Quote:
My castaway island was an island hood that I downloaded. Affinity sims has the tree chopping. Yes, I started with a communal camp. So tents, an outside shower, a pee bush. The fridge was a camping one, with some camp seating. When they had 70 piles I allowed one hosue to be built and one couple moved there. I also had bartering between themselves, so your sim needs toddler clothes, go to the sewing lady and give her some fish or produce. They didn't need much money without bills or groceries. I would sell some logs to the air when money was needed.

Coral Bay is fishing and tourism town. There I started with the basics of a hiccup town. so here in Australia that is a pub, church, grocery store, police station, fire station. I had a farm, two fishermen. It grew from there.

I am assuming most of those items are CC? Also, When you're not doing the castaway island, How would you normally start an integrated hood? Meaning a normal, generic hood.
Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 2:45 AM Last edited by iCad : 11th Jul 2016 at 3:48 AM.
Aside from the chopping trees at Affinity Sims, good resources for starting out "rustic" and undeveloped is Sun and Moon's stuff at Plumbbob Keep: http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=240 All sorts of growable/harvestable things, more primitive/rustic crafting stations, hunting and trapping animals for food. I don't play "medieval" at all, but I use a lot of that stuff in more self-sufficient sorts of scenarios. (The basket-weaving station, for instance, is great because you go from reeds to actual furniture.)

ETA @MikeJMW55
I think your best bet would be to make a few decisions first.

Like, what "level" do you want to start at? Do you want to start at "Hey, we just fell off a turnip truck in the middle of nowhere and there's nothing here, no infrastructure at all!" If so, then I think a "castaway" sort of thing is where to start. (Single lot, work out how they'll "earn" their infrastructure, go from there.) Or do you want to start at a "Oh, hey, there's that old abandoned town out there in the boonies. Maybe a few of us can go out there and fix 'er up." Then you can imagine that there's infrastructure of a sort -- Roads, sewer lines, power lines, etc. -- and maybe run down houses that the residents have to "earn" the renovation of. In other words, you start at a bit of a higher level. OR do you want to start at a "Here's this town. It's full of people and shops and some farms and stuff. Let's watch the drama." Then you can have full structure from the get-go. Shiny houses, happy people, a career structure, etc. You can have your bank and your PO and all that, all set to go and just jump in and play once you figure out the rules you want to use and stuff.

Each would have advantages and disadvantages, I think. The "turnip truck" scenario means you'd have a lot of playing to do before you get to banks and POs and all that. Heck, you probably have a lot of playing to do before any of the "turnip truck refugees" make it off their initial lot. The "abandoned town" scenario means you have less work to get to that point. The "We now join this town, already in progress" scenario means you have your bank and PO and, hell, a McDonalds and a Walmart, if you want...but you'd have to BUILD all that first, including all the supply chains to support those things, if you want to be that detailed.

Me, I'd pick the "turnip truck" scenario, myself. I think it'd be fun to come up with all the rules as to "what earns what" and, later, the rules governing how the people are expected to behave and all that, which can evolve as you go...or not. But my definition of fun may not be the same as yours.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 10:14 AM
@icad Thanks for all your amazing help! I'm going to go with the turnip truck castaway and go from there. Should be really rewarding once I have my PO and Bank and town hall, etc...
Mad Poster
#14 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 10:34 AM
I like to start at a point of developing - a new railway station is being built to connect two locations, so the railway has to build houses for their workers; as example - and of course, from there the town will develop. (My current hood - the military is building a new radar station because the mayor of Sim City has developed new international relations, so the young recruits come from anywhere - and as the hood grows, businesses and other community lots follow - although I made sure that there are plenty of watering holes for my soldiers).
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpetro
I like to start at a point of developing - a new railway station is being built to connect two locations, so the railway has to build houses for their workers; as example - and of course, from there the town will develop. (My current hood - the military is building a new radar station because the mayor of Sim City has developed new international relations, so the young recruits come from anywhere - and as the hood grows, businesses and other community lots follow - although I made sure that there are plenty of watering holes for my soldiers).

This is also an awesome idea. It's kind of hard to pull off a "new settlement" kind of gameplay because the game is a modern set, normally made to be played in a premade hood, so doing so is a little difficult. In the modern world, most cities and towns are just expanding. Very rarely do you see completely new towns appear.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 4:10 PM
Even though I have decided I want to start from scratch, I am just sitting here going "How will I do this?" I just need someone to draw this out for me. I have searched far and wide. Like iCad said, Back when the game was (relatively) new, This was really popular. And It kind of faded out. Basically what I want is to have a fully functioning town I just dont know where to begin!
#18 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 5:05 PM
The issue with committing to a "from scratch" approach is that you get overwhelmed with sims very fast due to imitating a real supply chain. If I were to take the sun&Moon Factory reeds furniture and apply it to this approach I would need this.

1 family on a large lot with a pond where the reeds originate
1 family just to buy the reeds from family 1 to resell to another
1 family * to buy prepackaged reeds to make the furniture
1 family to buy the furniture to then sell in stores.

* since you can make over 10 different items you can have specialized families only making certain objects which in turn could lead to families owning stores that only sell certain objects.

Sometimes certain things have to be left up to the imagination or the overload of work puts off the fun of playing it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 5:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleClawDesigns
The issue with committing to a "from scratch" approach is that you get overwhelmed with sims very fast due to imitating a real supply chain. If I were to take the sun&Moon Factory reeds furniture and apply it to this approach I would need this.

1 family on a large lot with a pond where the reeds originate
1 family just to buy the reeds from family 1 to resell to another
1 family * to buy prepackaged reeds to make the furniture
1 family to buy the furniture to then sell in stores.

* since you can make over 10 different items you can have specialized families only making certain objects which in turn could lead to families owning stores that only sell certain objects.

Sometimes certain things have to be left up to the imagination or the overload of work puts off the fun of playing it.

That is true, If you want to go that far. Or you could just have one family that lives on the lot with the pond who use the reeds to make furniture and sell that.
#20 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 5:24 PM
LOL yea see for me I would have the lake lot with a family then teleport in the second family to collect the reeds and pay a fee for collecting then they make the furniture and sell it.

I have a couple of lots that will sell the hunting carcasses and such, but I have it set up as anyone can sell it off to the stores but they can only obtain the hunt in the first place by going hunting in the forest which in reality is the magic town template set up as a fall/fall/winter/winter vacation hood. And even then only sims with a high interest in animals are those who would go hunting to begin with.

See I play it legacy/bacc/integrated style wherein my founding family is the legacy family and only those sims who really get alot of screen time with that family are actually considered by me to be possible for playability and then I determine what role they play in the hood service wise. So some of the rules like the locked subhoods and unlocking careers are overlooked because my town doesn't grow like in a normal BACC but i do have multiple sims in the same career at the top of it reflecting different things like hall of fame will have a hall of famer, or several for each sport but only if they have the LTW for it. Community lots are only bought by the founding family first off and then built and donated back to the town (Like parks) or the deeds are sold for the shells (small stores will only have the outer shells leaving the rest to be done by the store owner)
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 5:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleClawDesigns
LOL yea see for me I would have the lake lot with a family then teleport in the second family to collect the reeds and pay a fee for collecting then they make the furniture and sell it.

I have a couple of lots that will sell the hunting carcasses and such, but I have it set up as anyone can sell it off to the stores but they can only obtain the hunt in the first place by going hunting in the forest which in reality is the magic town template set up as a fall/fall/winter/winter vacation hood. And even then only sims with a high interest in animals are those who would go hunting to begin with.

See I play it legacy/bacc/integrated style wherein my founding family is the legacy family and only those sims who really get alot of screen time with that family are actually considered by me to be possible for playability and then I determine what role they play in the hood service wise. So some of the rules like the locked subhoods and unlocking careers are overlooked because my town doesn't grow like in a normal BACC but i do have multiple sims in the same career at the top of it reflecting different things like hall of fame will have a hall of famer, or several for each sport but only if they have the LTW for it. Community lots are only bought by the founding family first off and then built and donated back to the town (Like parks) or the deeds are sold for the shells (small stores will only have the outer shells leaving the rest to be done by the store owner)

I am literally sitting in front of my computer thinking of how I want to do this. SO difficult!
Undead Molten Llama
#22 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 6:33 PM Last edited by iCad : 11th Jul 2016 at 6:55 PM.
I think starting begins with deciding on your scenario, and that has to come from your imagination. And you need to decide on how detailed you want to be. Some people try to do it as "everything the residents need must be generated within the neighborhood with nothing coming in from the outside," but in the real world that's really not how things work and, frankly, it wouldn't be fun (at least, not to me) to try to have all those supply chains in place.

In the real world, expansion is often based on needed/desired commodities. Like, my own town started in the late 1800s as a mining town, the whole "There's gold in them-thar hills!" thing. It was discovered that the mountains were basically giant hunks of valuable, usable ores and precious metals, and the next thing you know a bunch of people are headed to the mountains to seek their fortune. But they don't go alone. They'll need a bank, for instance, to convert those precious metals into cash. And then some intrepid entrepreneur will see those folks headed out there to blow up a mountain and they'll think, "You know what those folks'll need? A bar." So, off the entrepreneur goes to build his/her bar, where they will probably do very well because they'll have a monopoly (at least for a while, until someone else decides to go out there to be their competition.) Once the town gets big enough, it needs services like law enforcement and firefighting and a postal system (or just a satellite internet provider, if your setting is modern ). And of course the government will want its piece of the pie and will set up a tax office, probably right next to the bank. And of course they'll need a mercantile where folks can buy stuff they want/need like clothing and food/animal feed and tools and whatnot. And someone will need to make that clothing and produce that food and forge those tools. Someone will need to make the booze for the bar, too.

That's where you build your supply chains...IF you want to. You CAN imagine that some of that stuff comes from the outside. In fact, unless you want to completely overwhelm yourself and/or drive yourself insane and/or make your town so large with so many households to play representing all those supply chains that you'll just not feel like doing it (which, frankly, is why I think these FSBS scenarios don't seem to last too long), I think you kind of have to imagine SOME outside support. No real town exists in a completely isolated and self-sufficient bubble unless your scenario is, like, the colonization of another planet (and THOSE folks would be sent off with everything they need to start out, all pre-fab and ready to go.) I'm pretty sure every new settlement has outside support of some kind, at least for a while, even if that outside support comes from the government/military (like Justpetro's scenario) or from some corporation, like a mining consortium or whatever. That outside support exists until the town has enough population and infrastructure to take care of itself. And even then, there's always trade with other towns as well as connections to less-local government. That's how real economies work. So, if you want this to last, I tend to think you'll need to decide what supply chains you want to portray and what ones you're content to imagine coming in from the outside. You can always bring in more local resources and supply chains as the town expands and becomes more self-sufficient, if you want to. I'm sure someone will come along and say that it's possible to portray everything, but to me that wouldn't really be a whole lot of fun. And it needs to be fun in order to last.

So, I say invent your scenario, decide what "level" to start at, and play. Make up stuff as you go, as needed, because you'll never think of everything you need from the get-go and you'll overwhelm and paralyze yourself trying to do so. I think it might be fun to have a mining town based around this. You'd generate money for town-building efforts and such by "selling" buckets of ore -- say to the bank -- in exchange for cash. Or if you don't want to have that level of detail, you can imagine it as a company mining town. (i.e., the One World Mining Consortium sets up some infrastructure -- roads and a means to generate power and whatnot -- and then sends a group of employees off to live in a small mining settlement -- one lot to start, or maybe "X" number of small lots, all pre-built that they get for free because they're employees -- in order to blow up a mountain for them.) So, you send a bunch of folks out to a mountainous settlement, put them all in the same career (doesn't matter which one; it's just a representation), perhaps make it so that they can't be promoted so that they all troop off to work at the same time and have the same hours and salary forever. Maybe have one in a higher-level position with a higher salary because they're the boss, the overseer, whatever. You imagine their salary as their cut of the proceeds from their mining efforts, and you use the money to build your town, imagining that they're buying what they need from The Company or from other towns and having it shipped in. Like if you send out couples to start, one can be a miner, the other uses the money the miner makes to build a business or start up a trade or whatever, and you go from there. Or you send out some non-employees to build their bar. As the town grows and gains more population, it develops its own supply chains and becomes less dependent on the The Company/the outside. Whatever you decide. It's totally up to you what you want to do and how you want to play it and, like I said, I think you're best off inventing your scenario and then just jumping in and playing, making stuff up as you go rather than trying to have all your ducks in a row before you start. Because although I don't do FSBS, I DO do from-the-ground-up neighborhoods, and I can tell you that you'll NEVER have all your ducks in a row from the get-go.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 11th Jul 2016 at 11:11 PM
So I am finding it hard to know how to help since I can't see your starting scenario in my head. Do you want to start in modern times as people who get away from it all like a commune with no electricity (How I did my island) a historical setting such as medieval (I have a medieval integrated game) fantasy? Or like I did with Coral Bay, just a small modern town? I don't want to spell it all out how I started Coral Bay if that is not the sort of thing you are after.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 12:44 AM
Quote:
So I am finding it hard to know how to help since I can't see your starting scenario in my head. Do you want to start in modern times as people who get away from it all like a commune with no electricity (How I did my island) a historical setting such as medieval (I have a medieval integrated game) fantasy? Or like I did with Coral Bay, just a small modern town? I don't want to spell it all out how I started Coral Bay if that is not the sort of thing you are after.

I would probably start with modern times. I just find it a little boring having two lots in the entire neighborhood. That's all. Jo, how do you start your integrated hood, BACC aside? What's the first thing you do? Do you create a new hood or try to integrate a maxis hood? What ones do you use?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 12th Jul 2016 at 1:04 AM
Two lots?? I never said Coral Bay started with two lots, my commune on an island started with one, but they are two separate hoods. Coral Bay is actually Elsewhere by Plasticbox which is full of tiny joined lots. While I only used a few lots to start with, I mentioned way more than two. If I was starting from a bare hood there would still be half a dozen lots or more. I mentioned the pub, church, grocery store, police station, fire station, farm and fishermen. Added the clinic to a later post since I had forgotten the Dr was there at the start as well. There were also the beaches and a park.

The police station and fire station and health clinic are all residential.

Trying to think of my starting families, they were all married couples from CAS and everyone had a role in running the community.
Fire station. One fire man and his wife who opened the cafe.
Police Station: One police officer his wife who was an author and opened the library.
Health Clinic: One doctor, her husband worked at the pub/restaurant
Pub/Restaurant-owned community lot: Run by a couple.
Church: Owned community lot. One minister, his wife did baby sitting since the hood had no day care or nanny.
Farm-They also run the grocery store. grocery store is a community lot.
Fishermen-They have a fish shop, another community lot.

No grocery delivery they have to either buy groceries or fish.

I feel I am forgetting someone, some of the other couples came after a few rotations. Like my hair dresser/clothes store owner and her hubby is the repairman-mechanic.

Just remembered my B&B/boarding house . I used that to place all new comers in for a few days. She runs that and he is the local newspaper publisher. I also have a mayor (even though a small town would not have one) He ran the small town hall which houses the newspaper office. mayors wife is a nurse at the clinic and the newspaper man works at the town hall.

I have very carefully added some lots and taken just a few away. Elsewhere has special shaping which can be wreaked easily. Mostly decorated and added lots of hood deco.
http://modthesims.info/d/319898

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 17