Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

1930s Detached

by hazelnutter100 Posted 4th Oct 2016 at 2:25 AM - Updated 10th Oct 2022 at 7:18 PM by hazelnutter100

10 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 1 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Scholar
THANKS POST
#2 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 5:16 AM
Thank you so much for this fine, fresh looking house. It's just perfect for the average sim's family!!
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 11:40 AM
I live in a semi-detached version of this type of house, so this is fascinating. Houses of this type have minor variations in design but it's probably the most common basic design in many parts of the country.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#4 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 2:09 PM
There are many houses like this near me, they're lovely! You've captured the look very well, and I love bay windows Thank you!
Scholar
THANKS POST
#5 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 2:24 PM
It's so nice to see this staple of the average British housing stock so accurately recreated. Aside from variations to match the regional vernacular, this home really could be anywhere in the UK. It's just a shame that the iconic Art Deco tiled fireplace doesn't exist in-game to really complete the look of this home.
P.s. There was an article a while back about a man restoring one of these kinds of home to how it would have looked when it was first built, which is really interesting to see: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ating-home.html
Scholar
THANKS POST
#6 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 3:25 PM
Oh this is lovely! You've done a fantastic job of capturing the character of these kinds of homes. Here in Ireland there are very few houses that would match this one closely, but a lot of the individual features are very common. Those damn box rooms in particular are everywhere, though the one in this house is a bit more generous than some I've seen.

The bookcase chimney breasts are genius! I also really love the porch with its brick archway and tiled floor. Very comfortingly familiar. And the attention to detail on the garden is fantastic. Really nice work!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 7:31 PM
Thanks, everyone.

@Collector, I seriously considered building a pair of semis but decided to go for the detached version because my best friend as a teenager lived in one and I was always rather envious.

@Fergus' Mind, I agree with you about the fireplace . I saw that article while I was looking up authentic 30s decor and furnishings. Completely mad but in rather a wonderful way.

@Gingerxyz, I agree about the box rooms. I grew up in a late 50s/early 60s semi and had the box room because I was the only girl. It was so small that the bed stopped the door from opening fully and you risked injury getting between the bed and the funny box thing with the sloping bottom that was built over the stairs. I kept my toys in there and the bottom of the box was full of random broken bits of plastic .
Scholar
THANKS POST
#8 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 11:39 PM
Absolutely beautifully average house, tremendous attention to detail inside and out, and a really clever technique with those bookcases - definitely going to see a lot of mileage out of this lot in my game, thanks so much!
Inventor
THANKS POST
#9 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 12:20 AM
Very clever use of the bookshelves, I'd say!!!! The house is amazing, but that touch is extremely well done!!! Thanks!!!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#10 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 9:26 AM
This is right up my street! (PUN) I love the challenge of making british architecture look half decent in sims!
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#11 Old 14th May 2017 at 11:46 AM
It's like looking at my ma and dad's house.... spooky!