Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 12:01 AM Last edited by Simonut : 19th Jan 2017 at 2:07 AM.
Default I did some house cleaning today
This is just something quick just curious about other members, I know it is not Spring time here in US maybe it is in other parts of the world.
This week I did some Spring Cleaning that is in my "Sims Downloads Files" but I did it a bit different this way around, the old way I would make an extra folders and mark "Maybe" meaning not sure I will keep the CC or not.

But then once I go through the "Maybe" and take a second look at it ( I keep picture of the items) I would always find myself "never" getting rid of anything.
I would say things like " Oh I better keep this just in case I want it later or well it is kinda cute" with me thinking like that, I would end up NOT getting rid of nothing at all. ( CC Clothing for Kids, Teen, Adult or elders )

So therefore I am right back where I started removing zero, this have happen to me for years. ( lol ) but this time around I did Spring Cleaning files differently.
My new way of cleaning out My CC ( not talking about Mods that will stay forever lol ) Is first I ask myself do I "really" use it often, if not then what the sense and keeping it ?
So out it goes place into the waiting Delete folder that I made on my desk top and then that goes straight to the recycle Bin out the door. ( No looking back at all ) by using this method I was able to clean out way over a 100 CC files or more.

NOTE: One thing I do is to be sure if there is a Mesh inside the package, I make sure it is not needed for another CC therefore beside keeping pictures of what I have in each package,
I also make a text and type within about if a another CC files need the Mesh and where it is located at in the download files. ( that way I am safe ) For me to get rid of stuff I have to not look back.
Next I think I will do maybe furniture next, but clothes for me was the worst to let go, maybe because it made me feel like I was rich and did not need money to buy clothes even if the clothes was on the Sims and not me.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 12:10 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 19th Jan 2017 at 12:22 AM.
I wish I had the energy to clean up in my main download folder, but the thing is a nightmare consisting of some 30-35 GB of stuff, and that's not counting the ridicolous amount of CC I've downloaded and made since I last played on my main simming computer. I've started the cleanup several times, but first I can't decide on a good folder structure, then I can't decide how I want to sort the files inside the folders, and whether or not I want themed items to be in separate folders - and I mostly just give up after sorting through defaults and hacks.

I know I absolutely should do some cleanup, and I've toyed with the thought of starting from (a relative) scratch, adding in CC as I need it - but it's such a large project, and I hate cleaning up. I think all my computers have suffered from that problem... There is no such thing as folder structure on any of them. I like to think there is, but I'm probably the only person in the world who would be able to find anything at all on my computers, save for installed programs via the start menu. Except for a few individual folders, there's no real system to anything. I even have random folders with randomly generated names (a feature of a zip-program, I think). So I have a bunch of folders named "New Comer", "Newbery", "New Mexico", and similar (instead of "New Folder (2159)" or somehting thereabout, as it would have been without).

Maybe I'll manage it if I ever go to the length of upgrading the old beast (and thereby reinstalling most of what's on there). I had great hopes at he beginning of my newest laptop's lifetime, but alas, no. It's probably even messier now than the old beast..

I could really need some tips and tricks on how to organize CC. I do like to have items by creator and/or set (sometimes makes it easier to find), and probably something that's logical and easy to maintain - but at the same time sorted by categories (clothes/accessories/buy/build...).
Instructor
#3 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 12:47 AM
Congrats on cleaning your cc folders! I have mine split based on category, and mods split into essential and nonessential. Now that I think about it, maybe I should clean mine!
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 3:02 AM
Summer here but you can do spring cleaning anytime. I need to do my files...
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 3:09 AM
Meet Me In My Next Life
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 3:14 AM Last edited by Simonut : 19th Jan 2017 at 5:33 AM.
@ simmer22 Everyone have their own way to set up their Download folders this is how I have it as follow:

1. Clothes: Ad female clothes in it's own folders the folder will contain. Elders Sims have their own folder ( very small )
A. Short name of the item, A picture of the items, A text of the creators name and what Sims Site it was found, and Meshes use.

2. Each folder for clothes is categorize with key title Kids, I add G ( for Girl ) B ( For Boy ) My system is Window so it will put it in the correct order ( that mean Boy will come first )
3. Teen is setup the same way with Key title Teen ( B for boy and G for Girl ) it will fall in the correct order.
4. Clothes: Ad Male is setup just like my number 1 above with ( a smaller file for Male Elders )

5. With Furniture items I categorize as the key word "Living" under that Title :
B. Bedroom sets have it's own folder
C. Bedding folder
D. Living room have it's own folders
6. Bathroom CC Key folder title Bath
7. Kitchen CC
For my Custom Businesses each have it's own folder Main Key title is Business I will then add in a sub folder the items for each business and it's name like ( like bakery shop etc. )
I really don't have to go on a hunt for any items with my set up if I need to find it. Also for me having "Pictures" in my sub- folder let me know what the items is and a text with my own little notes.

8. Mods is in a world of their own I do have a Mod folder, I once read by Modder TwoJeff's how to set up mods in your game so I follow that direction.
E. Mods are categories by the modders name so Pescado would come first follow by TwoJeff's etc. ( I have many Mods so I do have two folder Mods 1 and Mods 2 )
9. All Defaults items are in one folders with the name and what for.

10. Custom Food is all in one main Folder Key title is Foods with sub- folders as to what the food is with food you have to be sure to keep it
and not removed, once your Sims use it and they like or have cook it ) removing can cause corruption.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Theorist
#7 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 4:42 AM
I have been weeding and sorting mine for .. uhhh at least over a year. However I am seein light at the end of the tunnel.

The way I found that I liked was I adapted how Jessa (from Jessa Channel) does hers.
Everything is separated into catagories and each catagory is given a letter.
Clothing is A
Make-up, glasses, and such is B
Build items are F
Buy items are H
...and so on.

The namin part then comes into play of where I got it, who made it, and what it is. So say for example I downloaded a pair of girls disney pajamas it would look somethin like this A - MTS - Creator - CFU Disney
A - MTS - Creator - EMO Sweater Brown w Scarf ... would be an male elders outerwear of a brown sweater with a scarf.

Though it's taken me (for what seems like forever) a bit of time to do, I know that in the long run I'll be happy.

I am doin the renamin to both the zip/rar/7z files that I have a folder of on my desktop as well as the package files that go in the downloads. I don't use folders in my dl folder.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 7:10 AM
Mine is growing...

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#9 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 3:55 PM
I believe how you sort a download folder relates to the amount of cc you have. A ton of cc means LOTS of folders and a moderate amount means not as much, from my experience...
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 4:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emperor Crat
I believe how you sort a download folder relates to the amount of cc you have. A ton of cc means LOTS of folders and a moderate amount means not as much, from my experience...

Depends on who you are, really. The most neat-freak of organizers would probably create many folders even with very little CC, and the messier gamers could toss everything -- unorganized -- into their Downloads folder and just leave it at that. For me, I organize clothing into different subfolders, but for almost everything else I just throw them in like fruit into a blender for a smoothie, and I have a ton more mods and objects than I do clothing. Thankfully I'm not this miserable when it comes to my files for school; I have a delightful array of folders and subfolders in my Google Drive all set to accept one or two files at most throughout the semester.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 8:23 PM
Simonut wrote: "Short name of the item, A picture of the items, A text of the creators name and what Sims Site it was found, and Meshes use."

Smart! I wish I'd done this. I have tons of stuff that I'm clueless about. I might have to empty my downloads folder and install items one at a time just to see what they are.

Initially, I started off simply with folders for CAS, Clothing, Build, Buy, Mods. But I soon found that it was not enough so I made more folders within those folders. The result is chaos, not the order I'd anticipated. Some of my items are sorted by sets and others by category. For example, I have a "walls" folder and a "floors" folder, but I have cabin walls, cabin floors and cabin windows together in their own "cabin" folder. I also have matching beds, sofas, tables and bookcases sorted into separate places. Nothing is consistent -- and it drives me nuts!

And I'm going to have to stop downloading stuff, at least until I get my current mess straight. And I'm going to take a hint from Simonut and start including jpg images and text files whenever possible, to help me know whats what, especially after those months of long breaks I take between playing Sims.

Speaking of naming ... I've heard that it is safe to rename object files (just not mods). Is this true? Can I really take something named 123a456b789d.package and rename mts_creator_brassbed.package?
Forum Resident
#13 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 8:41 PM
I wanted to add a link to an MTS thread where I asked about a program to help me find duplicate AND MISSING files when comparing folders on my computer and backup drive. The recommended program, Beyond Compare, looks promising. I plan to purchase it next month and give it a go. Maybe others here will also see it as beneficial: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=588478
Theorist
#14 Old 19th Jan 2017 at 8:49 PM
You can rename nearly almost all packages, even mods. The only one that I know for an absolute that can not be renamed is the live.package. In case you don't know what that is it's the modified name replacement.