Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 5:50 PM
No, sadly. TS4 isn't going anywhere. At full, American prices, if you've bought all the DLC so far, it's about $300. You think EA's going to stop here?

They have the following to cover:
Witches
Werewolves
Zombies
Seasons & Weather
University

And plenty more. They're not done.

Not sure why these threads keep popping up. Clearly EA isn't done milking the sad cow.

Not-so-daily TS2 downloads @ my simblr.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 4th Mar 2017 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by siletka
Not sure why these threads keep popping up. Clearly EA isn't done milking the sad cow.

I've seen the future of this cow. It looks like this:

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Scholar
#28 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 12:58 AM
Tag yourself in the thread, fam. I'm the vexed girl furiously typing essays about how she ain't mad, she just finds all of this terribly funny.

Quote: Originally posted by Silly Merricat
Two years, six months and two days into the Sims 4 cycle (September 2, 2014 - March 4, 2017) we have 3 expansions and 4 game packs, which are about half an expansion each. So right now EA has released the equivalent of 5 expansion packs of content.

Two years, six months and two days into the Sims 3 development cycle (June 2, 2009 - December 4, 2011) and what did we have? Five expansions.

Bruh, if you're (actually, seriously, somehow justifying) counting game packs as lil' halfsie expansion packs for the Sims 4, then you gotta count the big store content bundles for The Sims 3 as...lil' halfsie expansion packs too.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 1:54 AM
The Deluxe versions of worlds may as well be Game Packs. Dragon Valley would have had a violin, archery, and baby dragons. Sunlit Tides has a mad bath, sauna, massage table, and an outdoor shower. Midnight Hallow has retail and a TON of toys.

It's compatible since these came with actual towns as well, not a few lots.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#30 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 4:07 AM
4 has some things that are well done and I have enjoyed it in limited doses, but they can add 100 EPs to it and it will never be on the level of 3 IMO.
Mad Poster
#31 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 12:34 PM
At this rate we'll have to get 100 packs to even out the content. By this point, TS2 and 3 were both doing things that TS4 has yet to. TS4 has brought a few new things to the table, but it's still behind.

Mad Poster
#32 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 4:38 PM
And I just saw that Amazon already had the vamp pack at half off. You cannot tell me this game is selling well. I got City Life half off just weeks after release.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 5:00 PM
Sales are done for two reasons:
-To trick consumers into purchasing at a lower price, since people love buying on sales.
-Lowering the price because the original is too high to meet market demands.

Which one applies here?
The former is usually done when the product is selling at full price anyway, reserved for holidays. The goal is to get more people buying than usual. This tactic is only to make more money.

The later is when the cost is too high for what the market expects of the product and the only way to sell is lower the price. This is the only way to make money.

Video games is this as well. There are games that are full price a year after launch, rarely on sale because it's worth the value of purchase. Games that fall out of favor are either on sale or see a price drop later.

The Sims 4 was always on sale, so...

Mad Poster
#34 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 5:49 PM
Can you imagine what 100 packs would look like on the opening UI? You'd be scrolling for days.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Forum Resident
#35 Old 5th Mar 2017 at 11:49 PM
Hmm, 100 packs? I believe that would count for 1486 social interactions in the pie menu and only 3 of them would give a negative score.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 12:21 AM
How many would have unique animations?

*sips tea obnoxiously*

Instructor
#37 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 5:04 AM
hope it is and they sell the franchise to paradox

Mirror floors, sexy mirror silhouettes, adult DVD, legend of zelda items and more ALL FREE AT: XTRA SIMS!
Alchemist
#38 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 7:15 AM
I just want to pull the plug on this game. I miss being excited for expansion packs
Mad Poster
#39 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 8:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
I just want to pull the plug on this game. I miss being excited for expansion packs

I have mixed feelings about this, but think I agree in terms of EA pulling the plug on it. I have zero interest in getting university as found that boring in 2 and 3. I am not excited about pets. I would like to see seasons, but not if done only in one miniscule world. For 4 they lowered the bar in many ways. I would like to see them up the bar again as was done in 1,2,3. Take advantage of what can be done nowadays. I understand that not everyone can have a top of the line computer, but aim up this/next time, not down.

I was in the game yesterday and wanted to build a vamp theme restaurant, and I have zero place to build one. IMO that is ridiculous.
Test Subject
#40 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Quality has degraded objectively...

I've never posted before here, but this made me post. I played every Sim game intensively and I think TS4 is the best one. Quality has not degraded objectively, but subjectively. I see many improvements in the game, comparing to TS3 in particular, and I also see more and more people playing it. I don't think it is going to die soon, I think that it is simply getting on track later than we expected.

If it dies or not, I don't care, I will play with the content I have, but I wouldn't play TS2 or TS3 anymore. To be perfectly honest, I would like TS4 to be the last TS game, and would love to see other similar franchises start from independent developers, otherwise, the best thing that could happen is a Paradox takeover.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 1:51 PM Last edited by XxCTxX : 6th Mar 2017 at 2:01 PM.
I really liked the TS1 and I feel like a lot was covered during TS2 and I've never played 3/4 (can't give an opinion). For me the TS2 could of had a few more expansion packs like a Makin Magic/Supernatural and it would of satisfied it all for me.

I've read rumours that there's possibly going to be a TS5 in 2 years??
That would make sense if this is the last EP and has a mini advert for the next instalment.

With TS2 I felt like with the interactions it continued with a story or helped push my characters along different paths. I liked how they looked vaguely like the old TS1. From what I've heard about TS3/4 people got the same reaction during those interactions leading to most characters going down the same path.

I also like how as we as one, in this big online community made so much for TS2 and others. Whether it's recolours, game mods or objects it showed how much we loved the same game and effort we put it, maybe even more than the creators when they launched TS4.

Either way I'm happy with the sims 2 When I have spare money one day I'll buy sims 3/4 and test it out.
Instructor
#42 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 3:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BethA
I've never posted before here, but this made me post. I played every Sim game intensively and I think TS4 is the best one. Quality has not degraded objectively, but subjectively. I see many improvements in the game, comparing to TS3 in particular, and I also see more and more people playing it. I don't think it is going to die soon, I think that it is simply getting on track later than we expected.

If it dies or not, I don't care, I will play with the content I have, but I wouldn't play TS2 or TS3 anymore. To be perfectly honest, I would like TS4 to be the last TS game, and would love to see other similar franchises start from independent developers, otherwise, the best thing that could happen is a Paradox takeover.

TS3 plays like crap, TS4 plays well.

Problem is the cost of making TS4 play well meant a lot of things were thrown out, for example TS3 shows had a sound entry so there was a distinct sound of a sim was barefoot or had shoes even to the type of shoes could have specific sound. That was thrown out in TS4, there is no footsteps sounds.

TS4 is not a better game, it plays better but have worst gameplay, less details ... serious, why the hell dont sims animate trying to grab the door knob and then the door animates open instead of the "Star Trek autodoors"? Why Sims just phase out of existence when going to work instead of walking out of the lot? the gameplay is still a treadmill but a pointless one because after 4 games they still refuse to allow players to set their Sims specific life goals, we just get some generalist goals ... in fact why have goals at all? its nice to aim at something but it have really no effect outside some points to spend on traits making the entire trait tree entirely pointless because most traits end up coming from the store.

I do not fault TS4 entirely since the writing was on the wall in TS3, it was only TS2 that expanded as TS3 also had a lot of "cuts" but TS3 also attempted to expand, sadly the engine was simply not up to the task and we had a very ambitious game that simply run like crap and also cut many small details, like car door animations but hey AT LEAST THEIR FREAKING ELEVATORS ACTUALLY WORKED!
Mad Poster
#43 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 7:04 PM
3 plays well for some folks and not for others. I was just in 3 and it plays well for me and I have everything except K Perry. Other than some slow loading in CAS when there is a lot of CC my game has no deal breaker problems. My biggest issue with 3 is the lack of sims on community lots. I like all the activity in 4. When a sim goes somewhere the place is not empty. 3 and 4 both play well for me.
Instructor
#44 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 7:30 PM
Well they ended up setting up a system to select what expansions you wanted to load and putting a warning to only set 2 expansions to load on the TS3 launcher. I think that alone says it all ...

As TS3 moved along even their demo machines started to struggle to handle it, I dont think you can just power over the engine shortcommings that I dont think they were aware of the issues until later, TS4 wasnt created with that in mind since it started as some MMO, the low load was likely because of latency since that have a large impact on multiplayer,TS4 handles community lots better because it doesnt have the load TS3 had because a TS4 neighborhood is much smaller that a TS3 world.
Mad Poster
#45 Old 6th Mar 2017 at 8:30 PM
Lots in three are empty because it's simulating the wolrd at once. If there are 20 community lots and 100 sims in the world, they'll be pull into diffeeent directions at once. Some might even stay home for simulation reasons. Ideally, you want as few social lots as possible to get an even spread, but that doesn't stop the rejection of Sims with certain traits.

Field Researcher
#46 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 12:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
Well they ended up setting up a system to select what expansions you wanted to load and putting a warning to only set 2 expansions to load on the TS3 launcher. I think that alone says it all ...

As TS3 moved along even their demo machines started to struggle to handle it, I dont think you can just power over the engine shortcommings that I dont think they were aware of the issues until later, TS4 wasnt created with that in mind since it started as some MMO, the low load was likely because of latency since that have a large impact on multiplayer,TS4 handles community lots better because it doesnt have the load TS3 had because a TS4 neighborhood is much smaller that a TS3 world.

I have many expansions, many different store bought worlds, tons of content from the sims store....and My TS3 game runs just fine. I have no issues with the launcher and I'm sure that notice about not using more than 2 expansions, was for people who have low end video cards and processors.

I'll take TS3 over TS4 any day. Sims4 base game alone is a POS. 2 1/2 years later.... Still limited, boring...unless you are into the Toddlers....and not worth the cost they marketed it at.

Please Paradox.... make a sims game worth playing!!!
Theorist
#47 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 12:15 AM Last edited by tangie0906 : 7th Mar 2017 at 12:25 AM.
I really don't have problems having sims show up on lots, but it does make a difference what kind of world you're playing, how many sims are in it, the time of day, and how many commercial lots you spread the few sims out to who are available at any given time.

Also, every EP that was made for TS3 was only demoed with the BASE GAME. In order to maximize sales, they refused to consider which expansions someone may or may not have and so just made them BG compatible. That also meant they created some conflicting issues and certain bugs that were once fixed would be broken again in the next patch because it was a different team working on the game. On top of that, each EP was not really considered in the context of the whole game with preceding EPs, IMO, and that's how we ended up with singers who could not perform in bands (just for one example). BUT let me just add that I will take all the issues and problems that TS3 has any day because it's fun and engaging and engrosses me for hours. When I play TS4, I just feel like a disinterested observer.

Anyway, to get back on topic, they HAVE made some improvements in TS4 but IMO for everything they have done right, there are at least 10 things that suck eggs. So the overall effect for me is that it's not an improvement over the depth and breath of what they gave us for TS2 & 3.

I think it appeals to people who weren't much into the creative aspects of the previous games, who like the cartoony vibe, and love the constant socialization of the sims with each other (even if it's ultimately pretty meaningless). At least those are my guesses of why people like it. If those aren't why people like this game then I'm still clueless. Obviously it only appeals to certain ways to play or it has elements that some people are really drawn to more than others. Good for them, I guess? The problem is that it has left a lot of other ways that Simmers liked to play these games in the cold, dry dust.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#48 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 1:24 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 7th Mar 2017 at 1:56 AM.
Something I've noticed was how depth has taken a nose dive in very common area.

For example: cooking. We have fewer appliances to make food, and we don't need to shop for ingredients anymore. Now, appliances are more of a novelty (ice cream, popcorn). Shopping has been streamlined to death in this game.

Edit: I don't know how I got a disagree. I never knew clicking on a refrigerator to shop was how it was always done with no other options to shop beyond buying an expansion pack and forcibly making your own grocery store. You also don't need any appliance to cook beyond a cutting board or bowl your sim pulls out of their nether regions. Remember when they got them from the actual counter? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Lab Assistant
#49 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 2:11 AM
I'm not sure that's depth, really. Like, it just adds an extra step for the player. Since you just bought them from the store it really didn't add anything deep or meaningful.
Mad Poster
#50 Old 7th Mar 2017 at 2:44 AM
Depth my have been the wrong word. How about immersion? This is a life simulator, but they chose to favor nightclubs over practical shopping options.

But, with that comes is actual depth.

A sim has to eat to survive. A sim can buy groceries/food or garden, each of which takes time. To develop skills to make money or to garden, that also takes time. These skills beget more skills because taking the time to learn skills afford Sims better cooking options. Cooking requires skill as well to prevent your house from burning down, but buying cooked food requires more money than a normal meal might.

The mehanics play into one another, and you see time is a major factor in a Sims limited lifespan. For me, one of the Sims' biggest asset was all about time. A poor investment in time could have consequence (back before life spans were changeable). Players learn to save and curve time by developing new strategies to play effectively and save time. One helpful tidbit is ordering groceries. This saves time by allowing someone else to do the shopping, while attention is focused elsewhere, which realistically fit into the game world.

To better their lives elsewhere. Since time is precious before death, it may be easier to just get pizza all of the time and study, of socialize, learn a new skill, or just goof off since shopping, cooking, and eating are up time. All of these time behaviors allows players to develop characters.

Much of this has been done away with. You don't need to shop or garden. Just go make a meal. This is streamlining. There no simulation of mechanical depth. That only a small example.

Another example (I won't dwell on) is uneven relationships between Sims. A Sims could like another Sim, but that same Sim could despise the other Sim. That led to a series of story telling moments.

I don't want to dwell (talking about time was long enough) but if you want me to, I sure can.

Page 2 of 7