Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Replies: 4 (Who?), Viewed: 4646 times.
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th May 2017 at 9:19 AM
Default Could corruption be permanently fixed through mods?
This is a serious question: Could the corruption issues which the game has be fixed through overrides / mods alone, or would the source code be needed to fix the deep-rooted causes of corruption (moving lots between neighborhoods, or just neighborhoods "imploding" and becoming unplayable)? I'm genuinely interested on if these issues could be completely eradicated by the means of mods. I'm thinking no, or if it IS possible it would be a boatload of work to do such a thing.
Advertisement
Née whiterider
staff: administrator
#2 Old 10th May 2017 at 7:57 PM
Well, there are lots of mods that prevent corruption - nounlinkondelete, the BV vacation townie fix, cleaned 'hoods etc. So yes, it's possible, depending on what type of corruption you're looking to fix and what causes it. It's likely that not all causes of corruption can be fixed by mods, though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th May 2017 at 10:56 PM
Oh, I know. The more I think about the whole thing, the more I realize corruption isn't all that easy to have occur if you have a certain set of mods installed and you don't do what most have found to be disastrous to your neighborhoods / game install. I personally don't play neighborhoods for long at all (I stick to the pre-made ones) so I've never really experienced corruption, but I thought I'd ask anyways.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 12th May 2017 at 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogz2007
Oh, I know. The more I think about the whole thing, the more I realize corruption isn't all that easy to have occur if you have a certain set of mods installed and you don't do what most have found to be disastrous to your neighborhoods / game install. I personally don't play neighborhoods for long at all (I stick to the pre-made ones) so I've never really experienced corruption, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I suppose you might want to check an "Essential Mods" recommendations thread that will help you prevent the majority of well-known causes of corruption.
Instructor
#5 Old 12th May 2017 at 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogz2007
This is a serious question: Could the corruption issues which the game has be fixed through overrides / mods alone, or would the source code be needed to fix the deep-rooted causes of corruption (moving lots between neighborhoods, or just neighborhoods "imploding" and becoming unplayable)? I'm genuinely interested on if these issues could be completely eradicated by the means of mods. I'm thinking no, or if it IS possible it would be a boatload of work to do such a thing.

Or, put another way, for a very complex piece of software with many trillion (probably more) possible paths through the code, many dictated by non-deterministic actions (ie human variability), could someone 100% guarantee it to be bug free?

No.

I've been involved in a similarly complex piece of software for the last 10+ years, and I'm still amazed by the cunning ways users find to out-smart it and cause it to do weird things!

Just call me William, definitely not Who-Ward