Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Theme Seasons and Celebrations - posted on 1st Oct 2017 at 1:52 PM
Replies: 58 (Who?), Viewed: 3823 times.
Page 2 of 3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#26 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 1:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Make sure both TS3W.EXE and SIMS3LAUNCHER.EXE/SIMS3LAUNCHERW.EXE are on high performance.

Every single executable from The Sims 3 is on high performance. Look in the zip files from previous ZIPs and you'll see the screenshot.
Mad Poster
#27 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 3:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
Every single executable from The Sims 3 is on high performance. Look in the zip files from previous ZIPs and you'll see the screenshot.


hmm that is odd. As I've said, I don't have much experience with AMD unfortunately.

However, just throwing a ball out there. Did you make sure you enabled the "Fixed Mode Switchable Graphics" in your BIOS?

It would look similar to this:

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Instructor
#28 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
The Sims 3 is recognizing the graphics now. But only for the integrated. Check the ZIP.


Ok here's the thing, the reason why your TS3 DeviceConfig recognize the integrated instead of the M230 is because you put 9851 as the 4 digits device ID in the Graphiccards.sgr, please notice that according to your GPU-Z screenshots for both of your GPUs, 9851 is your 4 digits device ID for your integrated one (R5), and 666F is your 4 digits device ID for your dedicated one (R5 M230), so I think you just put the wrong 4 digits Device ID to your GraphicCards.sgr, and this is why TS3 recognizes the integrated one instead of your M230.

To fix this, replace the 9851 with 666F in the current edited GraphicCards.sgr, or you can do all over again from your original backup of GraphicCards.sgr, replace the one equivalent to your M230 with 666F as its device ID, and then do a test run again and see how it goes
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaEmy
Ok here's the thing, the reason why your TS3 DeviceConfig recognize the integrated instead of the M230 is because you put 9851 as the 4 digits device ID in the Graphiccards.sgr, please notice that according to your GPU-Z screenshots for both of your GPUs, 9851 is your 4 digits device ID for your integrated one (R5), and 666F is your 4 digits device ID for your dedicated one (R5 M230), so I think you just put the wrong 4 digits Device ID to your GraphicCards.sgr, and this is why TS3 recognizes the integrated one instead of your M230.

To fix this, replace the 9851 with 666F in the current edited GraphicCards.sgr, or you can do all over again from your original backup of GraphicCards.sgr, replace the one equivalent to your M230 with 666F as its device ID, and then do a test run again and see how it goes

I'll give it a try. Do I need to rename the graphics card as well? I'll add both and see what happens
Test Subject
Original Poster
#30 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
I'll give it a try. Do I need to rename the graphics card as well? I'll add both and see what happens

I replaced the device number and it changes from found 1 to found 0 but match stays the same. Look in the zip at all 3 text files.
Instructor
#31 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 1:05 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 8th Jun 2017 at 1:58 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
I replaced the device number and it changes from found 1 to found 0 but match stays the same. Look in the zip at all 3 text files.


I think it's better you scrapped the current edited GraphicCards.sgr and redo it all over again from your original backup of GraphicCards.sgr, and in addition to that, remove your current DeviceConfig.log and Options.ini from your TS3 Documents folder, these two will be regenerated automatically by TS3 later on after you make a new edited GraphicCards.sgr and do a TS3 test run.

Note: Do not add your M230 to the GraphicCards.sgr (it won't work that way), but instead, pick one that already listed from the list in GraphicCards.sgr.

Here are some of the Radeon's List in GraphicCards.sgr:



I personally don't know which one would be equivalent to your M230 as I don't have AMD graphic with me, but assuming you know which one is equivalent or matched your M230, and let's say for example the one at the very top, which is the >> card 0x6798 "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series", assumed this one is equivallent to your M230, change the 0x6798 to >> 0x666F , and that's all you need to do, do not add your M230 to the list.

Now when it's done, do a test run, and see the changes in the TS3 Main Menu, adjust your resolutions and change your screen fresh rate to 60Hz, and exit the game, and then go to your TS3 documents folder and check your new DeviceConfig.log
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 1:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaEmy
I think it's you better scrapped the current edited GraphicCards.sgr and redo it all over again from your original backup of GraphicCards.sgr, and in addition to that, remove your current DeviceConfig.log and Options.ini from your TS3 Documents folder, these two will be regenerated automatically by TS3 later on after you make a new edited GraphicCards.sgr and do a TS3 test run.

Note: Do not add your M230 to the GraphicCards.sgr (it won't work that way), but instead, pick one that already listed from the list in GraphicCards.sgr.

Here are some of the Radeon's List in GraphicCards.sgr:



I personally don't know which one would be equivalent to your M230 as I don't have AMD graphic with me, but assuming you know which one is equivalent or matched your M230, and let's say for example the one at the very top, which is the >> card 0x6798 "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series", assumed this one is equivallent to your M230, change the 0x6798 to >> 0x666F , and that's all you need to do, do not add your M230 to the list.

Now when it's done, do a test run, and see the changes in the TS3 Main Menu, adjust your resolutions and change your screen fresh rate to 60Hz, and exit the game, and then go to your TS3 documents folder and check your new DeviceConfig.log

My M230 is equivalent to an 8500m series. But that's not listed in the file. Do I have to add it in?
Instructor
#33 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 2:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
My M230 is equivalent to an 8500m series. But that's not listed in the file. Do I have to add it in?


No don't add it, but if you sure that the 8500m is the equivalent one, then one of these 3 may fit for you to use to run TS3;

card 0x6850 "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series"
card 0x675d "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series"
card 0x6858 "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series"

But those 3 are not "m" series, usually stands for mobile series, those three are an earlier version of the 8500 series for PC spec, "m" or mobile series usually less below the PC's spec.

There's another way to find the closest or even matched your M230, but you need to google them to find out, the reference will be from your R5 M230 GPU-Z for its Pixel Fillrate 6.8GPixel/s Texture Fillrate 13.6 GTexel/s Bus Width 64 Bit and Bandwidth 14.4GB/s

If you can't find one, use the one that closest or slightly below your M230, don't use the one above your M230 fillrate as this would put more stress workload to your M230.

The point is, it may not find the exact match, but this way we can manipulate TS3 to use one of the card's spec in the list with the actual card 666F (M230) you have, and currently this is the only way we know how to utilize newer graphics on newer computer to run TS3, unless EA would update the list then it's a different story, the problematic for AMD Radeon user is, that they changed their cards naming line up for their newer product to R3 R5 and so on, so we do know which one is equal to what in the older generations line up.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#34 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 2:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaEmy
No don't add it, but if you sure that the 8500m is the equivalent one, then one of these 3 may fit for you to use to run TS3;

card 0x6850 "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series"
card 0x675d "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series"
card 0x6858 "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series"

But those 3 are not "m" series, usually stands for mobile series, those three are an earlier version of the 8500 series for PC spec, "m" or mobile series usually less below the PC's spec.

There's another way to find the closest or even matched your M230, but you need to google them to find out, the reference will be from your R5 M230 GPU-Z for its Pixel Fillrate 6.8GPixel/s Texture Fillrate 13.6 GTexel/s Bus Width 64 Bit and Bandwidth 14.4GB/s

If you can't find one, use the one that closest or slightly below your M230, don't use the one above your M230 fillrate as this would put more stress workload to your M230.

The point is, it may not find the exact match, but this way we can manipulate TS3 to use one of the card's spec in the list with the actual card 666F (M230) you have, and currently this is the only way we know how to utilize newer graphics on newer computer to run TS3, unless EA would update the list then it's a different story, the problematic for AMD Radeon user is, that they changed their cards naming line up for their newer product to R3 R5 and so on, so we do know which one is equal to what in the older generations line up.

So when I find a card that's equivalent to my card that's in the graphics list, what do I do? Do I use that device number in the rules or something?
Instructor
#35 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 2:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
So when I find a card that's equivalent to my card that's in the graphics list, what do I do? Do I use that device number in the rules or something?


Let's say this >> card 0x6850 "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series" >> is the one closest or equivalent to your M230, just edit the 0x6850 to >> 0x666F, that's all you need to do. Then after you edited it and then do the test run, your new DeviceConfig will say;

Found 1 Matched 1 for AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series", (but with the 666F card (M230) as the actual card that running), means, TS3 will run your M230 in the game but with the "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series" spec or threshold, not the actual M230 spec or threshold.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#36 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 2:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaEmy
Let's say this >> card 0x6850 "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series" >> is the one closest or equivalent to your M230, just edit the 0x6850 to >> 0x666F, that's all you need to do. Then after you edited it and then do the test run, your new DeviceConfig will say;

Found 1 Matched 1 for AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series", (but with the 666F card (M230) as the actual card that running), means, TS3 will run your M230 in the game but with the "AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series" spec or threshold, not the actual M230 spec or threshold.

I've tried googling the Graphics Cards listed in the rules, but rather than there being a "Radeon 7500" model... It has numbers after the 5... So it could be "Radeon 7570".... Does that matter?
Instructor
#37 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 3:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
I've tried googling the Graphics Cards listed in the rules, but rather than there being a "Radeon 7500" model... It has numbers after the 5... So it could be "Radeon 7570".... Does that matter?


As long as the Radeon 7570 doesn't exceed your M230's threshold (Pixel Fillrate, Texture Fillrate, Bus Width and Bandwitdh), it won't harm your card, if it exceed your card, then it's like "virtually" overclocking your card threshold, therefore it put more stress workload on your card when TS3 is running.

Now in addition to this, you also must run FPS Limiter or MSI Afterburner to cap your TS3 FPS whilst TS3 running, because if you don't, TS3 will eventually damage your card as it don't have limiter to cap its FPS.
Mad Poster
#38 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 5:32 PM
I'm interested in how this is going to work out b/c if it does, I'll have something new to add to my knowledge base.

However, as far as I know, the graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr are not as ... critical as most people think. This is my understanding of those 2 files:

1) TS3 detects the device number of the GPU and then compare it to the list in graphicscards.sgr
2) If the device number is not found, you get a "0" for detected. But the game will attempted to run with the device anyways, since it is all DirectX.
3) If the device number is found, then it is referenced to a name. That is all graphicscards.sgr does.
4) The name is then used to identify and set up the graphics setting in the graphicsrules.sgr. Much of it is simply to determine the "default" Graphics detail setting the game starts with. However, these settings are free for you to change in game. There are a "few" triggers which are not in the graphics details, most notable is the "vendor" triggers b/c there are specific fixes and options for different vendors - Intel, Nvidia, and AMD.

So the issue I am seeing right now is actually Step 1. TS3 is not detecting or recognizing the device number of the dedicated GPU. Also, I don't think this is a TS3 issue, as it is more of a system issue. B/C the game runs on DirectX and if the DirectX detects both GPU, you should be able to "force" any program to run on either GPU.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#39 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 6:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
I'm interested in how this is going to work out b/c if it does, I'll have something new to add to my knowledge base.

However, as far as I know, the graphicscards.sgr and graphicsrules.sgr are not as ... critical as most people think. This is my understanding of those 2 files:

1) TS3 detects the device number of the GPU and then compare it to the list in graphicscards.sgr
2) If the device number is not found, you get a "0" for detected. But the game will attempted to run with the device anyways, since it is all DirectX.
3) If the device number is found, then it is referenced to a name. That is all graphicscards.sgr does.
4) The name is then used to identify and set up the graphics setting in the graphicsrules.sgr. Much of it is simply to determine the "default" Graphics detail setting the game starts with. However, these settings are free for you to change in game. There are a "few" triggers which are not in the graphics details, most notable is the "vendor" triggers b/c there are specific fixes and options for different vendors - Intel, Nvidia, and AMD.

So the issue I am seeing right now is actually Step 1. TS3 is not detecting or recognizing the device number of the dedicated GPU. Also, I don't think this is a TS3 issue, as it is more of a system issue. B/C the game runs on DirectX and if the DirectX detects both GPU, you should be able to "force" any program to run on either GPU.

So what should I do if it's to do with the system? I guess I should call Lenovo again then. Problem is I can't just ring up and say to them "My graphics card isn't working because according to someone in a forum, my system isn't picking it up." They'll probably just laugh at me. I'm extremely confused why some games pick up the graphics card while others don't. I've played GTA V on this computer before and that too runs on the the integrated graphics card. No matter if it's set to "High Performance" or "Low Power". Maybe they've missed out the driver for the dedicated card that allows it to work properly. Seems there should be 2 for both integrated and dedicated.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 7:17 PM Last edited by nitromon : 8th Jun 2017 at 7:33 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
So what should I do if it's to do with the system? I guess I should call Lenovo again then. Problem is I can't just ring up and say to them "My graphics card isn't working because according to someone in a forum, my system isn't picking it up." They'll probably just laugh at me.


I like to think I'm slightly more qualified than some outsourced 3rd world customer service. Many people who frequent this help forum have backgrounds in engineering, programming, and/or technical hardware/software implementation. But regardless, your issue is with their hardware/software, so you should ask them about it. Not Levono, but AMD.

Frankly this is the reason why Intel/Nvidia cost more than AMD. As I've mentioned in these forums before, I love what AMD has done in the past year and they've made tremendous steps in the competition. I love it enough to invest a sizeable amount of money in their stock. However, let's face it. Nvidia and Intel are better products and that's why they cost more. AMD has always been a money savers' choice and so it is not surprising to have these kinds of issues with something that is suppose to be standard. These games run on DirectX. Whatever is blocking them from "recognizing" your 2nd GPU has to do with the AMD drivers or BIOS setting, which is automatically defaulted to your integrated GPU.

Quote:
No matter if it's set to "High Performance" or "Low Power". Maybe they've missed out the driver for the dedicated card that allows it to work properly. Seems there should be 2 for both integrated and dedicated.


Yes, that is an issue with AMD. This is a simply switchable graphics issue, where the software suppose to simply force programs to run whichever GPU you want it to run. On my system, I can force it to run on Nvidia even if it doesn't work. It will crash or black screen, but it most certainly will not run the Intel HD. Did you check the BIOS from my previous post? Seems like AMD has a lot of unnecessary twitches and settings for automation. They added them in supposely to "help you" but most of the time they just make trouble and hinder people.

Like I've said, I know the basics of switcheable graphics, but I don't have an AMD anymore (not for 15 years), so whatever I'm telling you are coming from google researches on the topic. It is always a hit or miss, you just gotta keep trying.

This is from an HP Technical Support and has been marked as "solved."
Quote:
Sometime installing the drivers from AMD can remove the ability to configure Switchable Graphics. Essentially what you need to do to restore it's functionality, is to use the HP Recovery Manager to put the original drivers back, and then update them to the latest HP drivers available. I have included links to several documents to guide you through the process, and provide more details. I hope this helps, let me know.


There are also people with similar problems who claimed downloading the "latest" AMD Catalyst Center fixed their issue.


----

Before you do anything, have you tried forcing one of your other games to run on the "integrated?" You say that minecraft detects it properly and uses your dedicated GPU. Force minecraft to use integrated GPU. This will determine whether your Catalyst program is actually working.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Instructor
#41 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 8:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
I'm interested in how this is...

......


So the issue I am seeing right now is actually Step 1. TS3 is not detecting or recognizing the device number of the dedicated GPU. Also, I don't think this is a TS3 issue, as it is more of a system issue. B/C the game runs on DirectX and if the DirectX detects both GPU, you should be able to "force" any program to run on either GPU.


Well you're right in point 1-4, it is indeed that's how they set it up, basically the GraphicCards.sgr is a list of graphic cards database like a library, the one whom detects the graphic device is not actually TS3, but Win OS, because how TS3 was set up is more dependent to what the device registered to Win OS registry, so technically whether the user have the proper graphic drivers installed or not, as long as Win OS can run it (even with its default/standard driver), TS3 will also be able to run it regardless how it will look good or bad on the screen or even blank screen but we can still hear TS3 soundtrack theme in the background and we can see the HDD/SSD LED keep blinking which means TS3 programs continue loading the game.

Now about why we can't force TS3 like any other game to run either gpu directly in dual switchable graphics system via Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Manager, is not because Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Manager failed or something, when all required drivers installed properly and Win OS successfully recognized both of the gpus, Nvidia Control Panel or AMD Catalyst Manager are actually already working (in the background) to switch to more powerful (dedicated) gpu when TS3 was launched, but there's another program or instruction from the TS3 game engine that required for the graphic device ID to be registered in the GraphicCards.sgr, TS3 game engine needs to get the Device ID from its library, if the device ID is not there then TS3 will simply follow what it was registered in Win OS registry, which is by default would be the primary (integrated) graphic device.

This instruction from TS3 game engine to get the device ID is somehow to determine the graphic options threshold that we can found in TS3 main menu, and if the primary (integrated) gpu or main graphic device (in single graphic system) device ID is also not listed in its library, then TS3 will set the graphic options threshold as high as possible, that's why whether it's dual graphics system or single graphic system, if the graphic device is newer or not listed in its library, TS3 will set the graphic options threshold as high as possible, and in the DeviceConfig will say as "[Found 0 and Matched 0]", but that doesn't mean the newer or desired graphic device is not running, it is already running unless Win OS doesn't recognized it or not registered in Win OS registry and Win OS switched it off, it just run as high as possible but DeviceConfig tells the user it found 0 and matched 0 so the user would likely assumed it's not running, so when this happens it's the same like if we "virtually" overclocking the graphic device, and there's also another problem that worsen that scenario, TS3 don't have any limiter to cap its FPS

So in my opinion, (1) it's not TS3 that detects the graphic device but Win OS, and (2) it's also not a system issue when Win OS successfully recognized them, it will be only system issue if Win OS failed to recognized the graphic device(s), and (3) it "technically" became TS3 issue because its required the graphic device ID to be listed in its library (GraphicCards.sgr).. because actually the device ID(s) are already registered in the Win OS registry when (both) graphics drivers are already installed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#42 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 8:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
I like to think I'm slightly more qualified than some outsourced 3rd world customer service. Many people who frequent this help forum have backgrounds in engineering, programming, and/or technical hardware/software implementation. But regardless, your issue is with their hardware/software, so you should ask them about it. Not Levono, but AMD.

Frankly this is the reason why Intel/Nvidia cost more than AMD. As I've mentioned in these forums before, I love what AMD has done in the past year and they've made tremendous steps in the competition. I love it enough to invest a sizeable amount of money in their stock. However, let's face it. Nvidia and Intel are better products and that's why they cost more. AMD has always been a money savers' choice and so it is not surprising to have these kinds of issues with something that is suppose to be standard. These games run on DirectX. Whatever is blocking them from "recognizing" your 2nd GPU has to do with the AMD drivers or BIOS setting, which is automatically defaulted to your integrated GPU.



Yes, that is an issue with AMD. This is a simply switchable graphics issue, where the software suppose to simply force programs to run whichever GPU you want it to run. On my system, I can force it to run on Nvidia even if it doesn't work. It will crash or black screen, but it most certainly will not run the Intel HD. Did you check the BIOS from my previous post? Seems like AMD has a lot of unnecessary twitches and settings for automation. They added them in supposely to "help you" but most of the time they just make trouble and hinder people.

Like I've said, I know the basics of switcheable graphics, but I don't have an AMD anymore (not for 15 years), so whatever I'm telling you are coming from google researches on the topic. It is always a hit or miss, you just gotta keep trying.

This is from an HP Technical Support and has been marked as "solved."


There are also people with similar problems who claimed downloading the "latest" AMD Catalyst Center fixed their issue.


----

Before you do anything, have you tried forcing one of your other games to run on the "integrated?" You say that minecraft detects it properly and uses your dedicated GPU. Force minecraft to use integrated GPU. This will determine whether your Catalyst program is actually working.

I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to come across as if to say you don't know anything about computers. I'm just saying it from the point of view of someone from customer service of someone like Lenovo or AMD. Look in the previous ZIPs again which shows 2 pictures of Minecraft. Running on the integrated card then dedicated. Yes, setting it to "high performance" and "low power" mode does change which GPU it uses. My BIOS has an option called "Switchable Graphics". But when you go into it, it has 2 options which shows either UMA (No idea what that is) or just standard switchable. I did a diploma in IT and I have no idea what's going on at all. As for the different companies (Intel, AMD and Nvidia). To me, a GPU is a GPU.... Before this laptop I always used integrated graphics so I thought this must've been a step-up from integrated. Obviously I should've avoided switchable GPU laptops like the plague. AMD doesn't seem to provide me with answers and when they do, it's just "Re-install the drivers" or "Update the drivers", and even then, that doesn't work. I am kind of struggling to understand how adding just the device number of dedicated GPU will help the game recognize it and even then if it means it will play around with clock speeds - then this is something I don't really want to do....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#43 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 8:34 PM
Attached BIOS pictures.
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar BIOS.rar (332.8 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
#44 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 9:15 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 8th Jun 2017 at 9:30 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
Obviously I should've avoided switchable GPU laptops like the plague...


Nah.., it's not the switchable GPUs laptops that you should avoided, it's TS3 that you should avoided

I mean seriously.., there's nothing wrong with your computer, it may not be the fastest or most powerful but there's nothing wrong with it, that's why you can switch its gpu in another game, but TS3 though it's kinda problematic but lot of people still love and hang on to play with it. In my opinion.. a lot of people who play TS3 don't really understand or recognizes the technical problems that TS3 has.., because most people would expect.. they like this game and that's why they bought it, install it and play it, but... when people have computer system that are newer than TS3, that's when all the trouble will start to show up..

Now let's put it this way, let's say some people have an old computer system, with Core 2 Duo/Quad or AMD Phenom I/II X2 or X3 or X4 with 2 or 3 or 4GB rams and with an old graphic like Nvidia GS8400 or AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series graphics, they won't have this problem getting TS3 recognizing the user's GPU, they may have problem with lags, freezes, CCs or Mods, or etc but not with this recognizing GPU stuff.., may be some would say those old system not fast enough for today's standard, but they don't need any tutorials or help to just install, play and enjoy the game.., because TS3 are ahead of those computer's era and already covered the possibility combinations of their computer system..

So basically, this GraphicCards.sgr and making TS3 recognize newer gpu stuff is adding another thing to do before any user with newer computer system can just install, play and enjoy TS3, even then after you managed to get this done and play the game, your new system doesn't guarantee TS3 free from other problems like lags/freezes, CCs or Mods problems, but that would be another subject, so you see.. the problem is not always the computer when it comes to TS3, people just love this game so much because it really an awesome game but it just simply.. not perfect.., even me personally, to be honest I don't even play this TS3 anymore, I even already removed the game from my computer (except my daughter's), but I still love to hang around here on MTS because I feel like home here whenever I visits here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
Attached BIOS pictures.


And as for your BIOS, the UMA option is an option if you want to disable the dual graphics if I remember it correctly, but even if you switched to just single gpu which is your dedicated gpu, you'd still need to get this recognizing graphic process done to fit TS3 as is suppose to be
Test Subject
Original Poster
#45 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 9:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaEmy
Nah.., it's not the switchable GPUs laptops that you should avoided, it's TS3 that you should avoided

I mean seriously.., there's nothing wrong with your computer, it may not be the fastest or most powerful but there's nothing wrong with it, that's why you can switch its gpu in another game, but TS3 though it's kinda problematic but lot of people still love and hang on to play with it. In my opinion.. a lot of people who play TS3 don't really understand or recognizes the technical problems that TS3 has.., because most people would expect.. they like this game and that's why they bought it, install it and play it, but... when people have computer system that are newer than TS3, that's when all the trouble will start to show up..

Now let's put it this way, let's say some people have an old computer system, with Core 2 Duo/Quad or AMD Phenom I/II X2 or X3 or X4 with 2 or 3 or 4GB rams and with an old graphic like Nvidia GS8400 or AMD Radeon HD 6000 Series graphics, they won't have this problem getting TS3 recognizing the user's GPU, they may have problem with lags, freezes, CCs or Mods, or etc but not with this recognizing GPU stuff.., may be some would say those old system not fast enough for today's standard, but they don't need any tutorials or help to just install, play and enjoy the game.., because TS3 are ahead of those computer's era and already covered the possibility combinations of their computer system..

So basically, this GraphicCards.sgr and making TS3 recognize newer gpu stuff is adding another thing to do before any user with newer computer system can just install, play and enjoy TS3, even then after you managed to get this done and play the game, your new system doesn't guarantee TS3 free from other problems like lags/freezes, CCs or Mods problems, but that would be another subject, so you see.. the problem is not always the computer when it comes to TS3, people just love this game so much because it really an awesome game but it just simply.. not perfect.., even me personally, to be honest I don't even play this TS3 anymore, I even already removed the game from my computer (except my daughter's), but I still love to hang around here on MTS because I feel like home here whenever I visits here



And as for your BIOS, the UMA option is an option if you want to disable the dual graphics if I remember it correctly, but even if you switched to just single gpu which is your dedicated gpu, you'd still need to get this recognizing graphic process done to fit TS3 as is suppose to be

I really don't understand EA and the devs.... My GPU was announced beginning of 2014 and the last ever update to Sims 3 was like mid-2014, right? Why the hell didn't they update the graphics card database..... I really really don't want to be using my dedicated graphics card as another card in its place. As you said it would play around with the clock speeds etc... And I really don't want to risk blowing this laptop up (Touch wood). The game runs between 60 fps - 100 fps. (Yes I know I need to cap the FPS.

The game still stutters and lags though which I can't understand (With 60+fps?!). I thought switching to the dedicated GPU might benefit the performance (I don't think that's going to happen). I wish there was a tool that there is for Sims 2 to help the game identify newer hardware components without needing to play around with files.... etc....
Mad Poster
#46 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to come across as if to say you don't know anything about computers. I'm just saying it from the point of view of someone from customer service of someone like Lenovo or AMD.


Haha, don't worry about it man. I know you are frustrated with this whole GPU ordeal.

Quote:
Look in the previous ZIPs again which shows 2 pictures of Minecraft. Running on the integrated card then dedicated. Yes, setting it to "high performance" and "low power" mode does change which GPU it uses.


That's not good. I was hoping it was broken. You mentioned GTA V also has this problem? I'm wondering what is the link between GTA V and TS3, what are they doing which is preventing it from using the dedicated. From the HP support, the issue was the switcheable doesn't work on OpenGL, hence why it needs to enable the "fixed" switcheable mode in the BIOS. But TS3 doesn't use OpenGL, as far as I know. I could be wrong. SHIASA!! - "Sims 3 has always used OpenGL based rendering engines. - Most multi platform games use OpenGL, it makes transferring the game to other consoles easier for the developers "

I think that answers your problem. AMD has an issue with switcheable graphics on OpenGL games. The HP fix was a "bios update" which included the function to switch to "fixed" switcheable. So unfortunately, I'm still leaning towards AMD or Levono in this case. You need to direct this issue with them, see if they have a BIOS update.

Quote:
Obviously I should've avoided switchable GPU laptops like the plague.


I don't think that is possible unfortunately. All modern CPUs these days come with integrated GPUs. So when you buy one with a dedicated GPU, there will always be an integrated GPU. UMA typically means to disable the dedicated device and only use the integrated. However, the description in your BIOS suggest it might let you choose 1 of them. You can give that a try, but this means it won't use your integrated at all if it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaEmy
the one whom detects the graphic device is not actually TS3, but Win OS, because how TS3 was set up is more dependent to what the device registered to Win OS registry, so technically whether the user have the proper graphic drivers installed or not, as long as Win OS can run it


Is there a registry he can simply fix? It is puzzling b/c his system detects both GPUs and listed them separately but TS3 refuses to run it even if you force. I have older games which I force it to run Nvidia and it wouldn't work, it would just crash, or blackscreen. But it would never just run Intel HD instead of it.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#47 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Haha, don't worry about it man. I know you are frustrated with this whole GPU ordeal.

You took the words directly out my mouth. I'm extremely frustrated. I feel even worse because I've never used a dedicated GPU before, I have no idea what I'm doing nor what to do.

Is it worth mentioning to either of the companies that it could possibly be something to do with OpenGL? Do you know why it could possibly interfere with the dedicated GPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
I think that answers your problem. AMD has an issue with switcheable graphics on OpenGL games. The HP fix was a "bios update" which included the function to switch to "fixed" switcheable.

That's really annoying that HP seems to identify possible issues and so has published a fix. As far as I'm aware my BIOS is up to date. I've installed Sims 4 so will see if that gives me the same problem.... If it doesn't then I have no clue what that could mean. I'll give you an update as soon as it's installed.

Quote:
That's not good. I was hoping it was broken.

I hope you didn't mean you wished my dedicated GPU was broken
Test Subject
DELETED POST
Original Poster
8th Jun 2017 at 10:35 PM
This message has been deleted by rocketman. Reason: Didn't provide ZIP
Test Subject
Original Poster
#48 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 10:36 PM
The Sims 4 does NOT use the dedicated GPU either. I've uploaded yet another zip which shows it being set at "High Performance". The device log and a picture which shows the monitor inside of Catalyst which shows what GPU your computer is (supposed) to be using. As you can see, Sims 4 isn't even there..... I'm so mind blown....

Update: Don't ask me why The Sims 4 log says I have 3gb of texture memory. LOL!
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar Sims4.rar (125.5 KB, 3 downloads) - View custom content
Mad Poster
#49 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
The Sims 4 does NOT use the dedicated GPU either. I've uploaded yet another zip which shows it being set at "High Performance". The device log and a picture which shows the monitor inside of Catalyst which shows what GPU your computer is (supposed) to be using. As you can see, Sims 4 isn't even there..... I'm so mind blown....

Update: Don't ask me why The Sims 4 log says I have 3gb of texture memory. LOL!


I think more and more this is supporting the idea that AMD switcheable doesn't work well with OpenGL programs. If you google it, it seems to be a quite a popular problem. What is probably more frustrating for you is that I think this problem has been there for a while, yet they haven't really fixed it.

Have you tried using the UMA option in your BIOS? To see if it allows you to turn off one of the GPU?

Otherwise, I think you will have to contact either AMD for a fix or Levono for a BIOS update which allows you to switch to "fixed" switchable mode.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Instructor
#50 Old 8th Jun 2017 at 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman
As you said it would play around with the clock speeds etc... And I really don't want to risk blowing this laptop up (Touch wood). The game runs between 60 fps - 100 fps. (Yes I know I need to cap the FPS.

The game still stutters and lags though which I can't understand (With 60+fps?!). I thought switching to the dedicated GPU might benefit the performance


To prevent damage to your gpus, just simply install FPS Limiter or MSI Afterburner and set the cap to 30 or 60 FPS, this will stabilize your gpu's temperature, the gpus chip isn't the weak point as it equipped with coolers, but the VRAM might be the victims when it gets too hot like what happened to my old GTX280 card, as long as you capped TS3 FPS from 30 to 60 FPS max, it safe enough to play even if you want to play it for hours or 24 hours non-stop.

As for the stutters and lags, that's not because your GPU is not powerful enough, the more powerful your gpu is, is only increasing the texture quality and/or in higher resolutions, the stutters and lags are more because of the complexity of your world populations, the complexity of each house or building, bad routings, bad CCs and or Mods, the bottleneck that creates lags/freezes are actually in the processor not in your video card's gpu because of the nature of open world simulation and the overall complexity factors in it (even if you don't have bad CCs and/or mods), even with the most powerful processor, as your world gets populated more, eventually it will bottleneck the processor, so the only way to reduce or delay it to happen, is simplify your world, routing, houses/buildings and the total of your sims. The way I used to play it, is by creating my own simple/empty world from CAW and let it grow as I play it, all EA's world will lags/freeze more quickly compares to own made custom world. Even with own made custom world, it will lags eventually no matter what, but it takes longer, my game last more than a year as I played before starting to lags, when this happen just re-customize the world to adjust or start over with a new world.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
Is there a registry he can simply fix? It is puzzling b/c his system detects both GPUs and listed them separately but TS3 refuses to run it even if you force. I have older games which I force it to run Nvidia and it wouldn't work, it would just crash, or blackscreen. But it would never just run Intel HD instead of it.


For TS3 it doesn't matter, because it depends on what's in the GraphicCards.sgr, unless someone can mod it not to depend on GraphicCards.sgr then it may work customizing the registry on Win OS, I would suggest just let the AMD Catalyst Manager decides it, as long as the dedicated GPU's device ID is being placed there in the GraphicCards.sgr, TS3 will run it, that's how it works for TS3.

As for another game, that depends on what game, newer games don't have problem with dual graphics system, but some old games may have, like Company of Heroes (CoH) 1st generation, it won't work with the secondary (dedicated) gpu even if we instruct it directly, because the game program/engine is just isn't compatible therefore it won't skip or bypass the primary gpu, but the second and newer generations of CoH, it just work automatically, the only way to customize or mod it, is through the game program or engine, editing or customizing what's registered in Win OS registry will only work if the game program/engine are compatible to skip or bypass the primary gpu.
Page 2 of 3
Back to top