Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 3:56 AM Last edited by ChristianBuilder : 14th Jun 2017 at 3:43 AM.
Default How do you create a meshless window (hole in wall)
So I found a way we may be able to have an attached garage with no wall warping. It's simple, a meshless window with a wallmask that is the size of the portion of the garage door that is covered by the second floor walls (picture attached) - how would I go about doing this? I can't imagine it would be too difficult since no meshing should be required - according to this tutorial - creating the wallmask is done by editing an image.

I would like to know how to do this for regular 4 click high foundations so that me and anyone else can enjoy attached garages without the uglyliness and space waisting of warped walls.
I would also like to know how to do this for 1 click high foundations that I like to use for an extra touch of realism - see this tutorial: http://shastakiss.livejournal.com/24987.html

God Bless
Screenshots
Advertisement
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Jun 2017 at 9:11 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 13th Jun 2017 at 3:54 PM.
Someone made a stair wall hider using this glassless technique. Look at their object and do the same. Follow that window tutorial for the rest.

Could you achieve the same look by putting a short wall down first, a mostly tall enough wall on the next later and a dummy wall above that, and the just deleting out the walls that are blocking the door mesh? By shrinking the middle layer just enough, the top layer meets the top of the mesh of the door and you won't have any holes. More work intensive but no cc and no warped walls.

Edit: This http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=403889
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 3:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Someone made a stair wall hider using this glassless technique. Look at their object and do the same. Follow that window tutorial for the rest.

Could you achieve the same look by putting a short wall down first, a mostly tall enough wall on the next later and a dummy wall above that, and the just deleting out the walls that are blocking the door mesh? By shrinking the middle layer just enough, the top layer meets the top of the mesh of the door and you won't have any holes. More work intensive but no cc and no warped walls.

Edit: This http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=403889

Yes I am familiar with the excellent stair wall fix - must have custom content in my opinion.

As someone who has never made true CC before, I'm hoping this can be pulled off as it is a potential game changer - since no meshing is required - how difficult could one expect this to be?

As for your idea about shrinking walls to be just tall enough - innovative, but also wouldn't work as the 'just tall enough' walls will still warp when connecting to the house - not as much as compared the regular warping - but the main reason I want to eliminate warping with this window idea is so I don't have to have that extra tile where the wall warps in the garage - garages in Sims 2 are already too big as is - when this wallmask becomes a reality - the next thing I would like to see are smaller garage doors, there wouldn't be functional but just glorified windows that look like garage doors - this would allow them to be smaller - for example, I would really appreciate a 4 tile wide garage door, and then after that - a 3, 6 ,7 and 8 tile wide doors, with centered versions available (for example - 3 tiles door centered on 4 tiles.
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 7:24 AM
While it requires no meshing, it does require use of SimPE and basic object creation. It's actually a decent enough project for a first time creator, but due have someone more experienced look it over before you upload it. Because you are going for a meshless object, you might accidentally create it meshless because it's broken in just the right way rather than a proper meshless job. You might do the full window tutorial as instructed, and only remove the mesh once you are entirely sure everything is working properly. The window alpha (the cutaway part) is totally separate from the, - actually, no this will require a little bit of meshing. There are no 5-tile windows for you to clone, so you'll need to make a 3-tile one longer, and make the window's alpha mesh longer. Sorry, my bad. I haven't done much with windows that I'd forgotten offhand. It's still a very simple and good beginner's project I think.

I've wanted smaller garage doors and driveways for a while now. I really think a 3 wide one is more than sufficient width wise for a car, though a 4 wide would be nice too. The wider ones I don't think are quite as necessary, since you can build nice looking garages with multiple smaller ones and it will look more realistic that way. I've tried making both the driveway and the garage door, but both objects are very complicated due to their number of tiles and animations that I got lost.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 7:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
While it requires no meshing, it does require use of SimPE and basic object creation. It's actually a decent enough project for a first time creator, but due have someone more experienced look it over before you upload it. Because you are going for a meshless object, you might accidentally create it meshless because it's broken in just the right way rather than a proper meshless job. You might do the full window tutorial as instructed, and only remove the mesh once you are entirely sure everything is working properly. The window alpha (the cutaway part) is totally separate from the, - actually, no this will require a little bit of meshing. There are no 5-tile windows for you to clone, so you'll need to make a 3-tile one longer, and make the window's alpha mesh longer. Sorry, my bad. I haven't done much with windows that I'd forgotten offhand. It's still a very simple and good beginner's project I think.

I've wanted smaller garage doors and driveways for a while now. I really think a 3 wide one is more than sufficient width wise for a car, though a 4 wide would be nice too. The wider ones I don't think are quite as necessary, since you can build nice looking garages with multiple smaller ones and it will look more realistic that way. I've tried making both the driveway and the garage door, but both objects are very complicated due to their number of tiles and animations that I got lost.

A solution to the 5 tile issue would just be to make several smaller windows to place next to each other.
After returning to The Sims 2 from The Sims 3 - the things I miss the most are 25 tile wide lots and 4 tile wide garage doors.

I can't imagine a functional smaller garage door would be possible - but could one clone the existing one - turn it into a window - and then modify it to fit into a 4 tile space (the 3 tile door would require a bit more work but the same rules apply - if only I knew how do to it, for me at least, things like this would be a game changer and I'm surprised it hasn't been done before). And then one could make a mod that lets you use cars without driveways - sure it wouldn't be animated - but it's a good price to pay for the flexibility in design which would be unlocked - like in The Sims 3.

I've seen houses where there is a 2 car garage with a single wide door (probably somewhere around 6 and 7 tiles in Sims scale) and would probably use said door to make some contemporary Australian homes.
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Jun 2017 at 4:10 PM
A functional smaller garage door is totally possible, it just requires the right person with the right set of skills to want to make one. So far that hasn't happened yet. HL made a smaller one for TS3. A few people have made custom garage doors, and making something smaller is actually pretty easy. As for being a game changer, all this is fixing is a few slanty walls. Most builders compensate by either using a wallpaper that is plain or vertically patterned, or just hide it with a shrub. It's still a good project, and an easy enough one to tackle to start learning object creation. Most of the tutorials start with teaching a table, but I've always found you learn more things and better if you have a project you are motivated to do.

If you want a wider garage door, Fresh-Prince made some left and right ones, that open independently but look like one giant door. Here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=184333