Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Replies: 451 (Who?), Viewed: 22813 times.
Page 2 of 19
Theorist
#26 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 6:51 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 15th Jul 2017 at 7:08 PM.
Reposted for higher visibility:

Quote:
Looks quite promising!

IMO:

- You need to layout a plan of approach to this project. A life simulator is a highly complex game
- You should focus on setting up the systems that run behind the game (I.e. AI, open world, building system)- releasing a "white paper" with goals and a roadmap to achieving those goals will help tremendously
- Unity is actually a decent engine
- Don't focus on creating graphical elements until later on, as you can buy some or crowdsource from the community. TS3 was a 2D game until the systems were worked out!
- Make the game moddable. It's hard for one programmer to make a highly complex and polished game like Maxis did (with their larger teams)- but if the core of the game is good, the community will mod the game to perfection
- See if you can ask some of the older TS2 developers for their input!
- See if you can ask some of the gameplay modders here for their imput! (I.e. Simmythesims, zerbu, Twallian if you can find him)- it's never a bad idea to ask for help!
- Most importantly... play the sims series to see what elements work best and plan your approach and systems.

Good luck!
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 8:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
You should focus on setting up the systems that run the game (I.e. AI, open world, building system)- releasing a "white paper" with goals and a roadmap to achieving those goals will help tremendously


That's my current stage, I'm currently focussing on making the build system save everything and reload it reliably.

After that, I need to iron out a bug with the avatars not being able to approach a stairway properly so as to get on then and walk up!

I've also spent time this week tweaking the lighting systems so they give a nicer more polished appearance to pretty much everything, even the really ugly wallpapers and carpets look better!

... although ... I doubt I will ever write a white paper ... that's just not a fun thing to do and I've never worked on a project where I saw it benefit

Mike
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#28 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 9:11 PM
Lol, yeah the save and load process isn't as friendly as it could be in Unity

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 9:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHibbert
That's my current stage, I'm currently focussing on making the build system save everything and reload it reliably.

After that, I need to iron out a bug with the avatars not being able to approach a stairway properly so as to get on then and walk up!

I've also spent time this week tweaking the lighting systems so they give a nicer more polished appearance to pretty much everything, even the really ugly wallpapers and carpets look better!

... although ... I doubt I will ever write a white paper ... that's just not a fun thing to do and I've never worked on a project where I saw it benefit

Mike


A quick question on the lighting system, actually. How is multi-level lighting working? If it isn't working at the moment, are you planning on having it be a bit more natural the Sims? One issue I've always noticed from The Sims is that the lighting is dependent on bounding boxes, and as such, light doesn't properly extend from floor to floor and sometimes from room to room.
Theorist
#30 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 9:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair
A quick question on the lighting system, actually. How is multi-level lighting working? If it isn't working at the moment, are you planning on having it be a bit more natural the Sims? One issue I've always noticed from The Sims is that the lighting is dependent on bounding boxes, and as such, light doesn't properly extend from floor to floor and sometimes from room to room.

Lighting should be the least of the worries at this point xD
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
Lighting should be the least of the worries at this point xD


Eh, I was just asking as he mentioned he was tweaking the lighting systems in the post I quoted.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 15th Jul 2017 at 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair
A quick question on the lighting system, actually. How is multi-level lighting working? If it isn't working at the moment, are you planning on having it be a bit more natural the Sims? One issue I've always noticed from The Sims is that the lighting is dependent on bounding boxes, and as such, light doesn't properly extend from floor to floor and sometimes from room to room.


Whilst it's not the most important issue I do feel that it gives me inspiration when I see the "front end" looking as good as possible so, whilst its one of the "I think you should do this later" things, I think I would "like it done now" so I can have the ability to look and see possibilities.

I can be quite visual as a person so that queues ideas when I see things take shape.

For lighting I see that with Unity, and in fact most systems you can use point, directional or spot lights and they are all great... except ... when you have a few near to each other you get "over-lighting", (i made that term up), and when you add that to your "Sun" source of lights it get a be over exposed and you scene becomes a bit washed out!

You can see the video that shows the day and night cycle I'm in a rock and a hard place with that. So I've been looking at some colour correction systems to make it so we have grass and people who still look like "real skin" tone levels are in play

I'm preparing a video for tomorrow, (Sunday seems a good day), to show some of those improvements and some other extra items I've been preparing!

Mike
Top Secret Researcher
#33 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 10:54 AM
I could make you few objects if you want. I'll have loads of free time next month, so I could make few meshes. How are you using textures? I never really fiddled with Unity to know anything about how it handles textures.
Banned
#34 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 3:36 PM
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby. Don't you know it'll always be true. Oh baby won't you come with me, and walk this land...

Sorry. This song features on the soundtrack, perhaps?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#35 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarVee
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, baby. Don't you know it'll always be true. Oh baby won't you come with me, and walk this land...

Sorry. This song features on the soundtrack, perhaps?


Sure, if he wants to spend all his revenue on the licence

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Banned
#36 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 4:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Sure, if he wants to spend all his revenue on the licence

Of course. Who needs game-play when you have Iron Butterfly.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
I could make you few objects if you want. I'll have loads of free time next month, so I could make few meshes. How are you using textures? I never really fiddled with Unity to know anything about how it handles textures.


Thanks that would be fantastic!

I think for models you could export to FBX and it would then just make the materials/textures for you.


Mike
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 7:47 PM
And in other news!

Here's my weekly update video! https://youtu.be/mQP48b3clqA

Mike
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#39 Old 16th Jul 2017 at 10:58 PM
Thanks for the update, Mike. By the way, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the wallpaper/paint functionality in one of your other videos. I like how you were able to make the door frame and the wall the same color with one click. Create-A-Style, FTW!

I like how TS4 has been out for two and a half years and this game already has a treadmill.

Follow the lives of my TS3 sims and their growing integrated economy.
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 12:18 AM
Grid system works fantastically. Next step would be the detection of walls, other objects and table slots, and adding placement and routing flags to objects. Also, are windows and doors a wall block? That is unusual.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#41 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 12:25 AM
I know this is purely cosmetic, but I really like that the couches have throw pillows. Once you get to the later stages of development, do you mind including a white picket fence?

Follow the lives of my TS3 sims and their growing integrated economy.
Top Secret Researcher
#42 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 1:20 AM
Haha, white picket fence shall come only as an update, once full game comes out.

In all seriousness, lighting is the thing he is working on right now? The inside lighting is not done yet as far as I can see. It's only outside lighting that is everywhere. And besides the already pointed out wall detection and placement/routing flags, the detection of rooms would be nice too. It's all while you are still working on the build/buy mode and the lighting.

Later you can get over to work on sims... errr... khm, khm... people, I meant that you shall work on people themselves.

What about the model of the people, you already have them (current ones) or you plan on having another models? Shall they be cartoony or realistic looking? Cartoony meshes/textures are easier (faster) to do, are less of a strain on GPUs and can last longer in terms of graphical age. I've been working on a mesh recently, but I just can't seem to work it out fully.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#43 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 1:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
Haha, white picket fence shall come only as an update, once full game comes out.

Already better than EA, who tried to sell us such a basic item for $10!

Follow the lives of my TS3 sims and their growing integrated economy.
Instructor
#44 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 7:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weisskreuz
My phone didn't even bother loading this big ass picture.
This mobile-user discrimination is uncalled for.


Check your desktop privilege!
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 8:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
Grid system works fantastically. Next step would be the detection of walls, other objects and table slots, and adding placement and routing flags to objects. Also, are windows and doors a wall block? That is unusual.


Not clear on what you meant by detection of walls, other objects and table slots? do you mean when placing items etc they shouldn't be able to drag through a wall or another object? if so then yes I agree.

Windows are a placeable block on their own for now for two reasons, 1) I haven't worked out how to make then snap into place with an existing wall yet and 2) I don't know how close the build system can resemble the sims before I start getting into issues with EA.

Finally, the people are made with makehuman and then clothing was made in blender. I'm looking at DAZ 3D as an option as you can export extra "morphs" that allow you to alter everything like height, age and weight. I haven't yet worked out a good workflow with that though so, for now, we're stuck with Jeff and Lisa (yes I named them!)


Mike
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 8:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlibertysims
I know this is purely cosmetic, but I really like that the couches have throw pillows. Once you get to the later stages of development, do you mind including a white picket fence?


Why not!

Mike
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 8:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
In all seriousness, lighting is the thing he is working on right now? The inside lighting is not done yet as far as I can see. It's only outside lighting that is everywhere.


Watch the video right to the end and you will see it get very dark outside and the strip lights and wall lights turn on and illuminate the inside of the house

Mike
Theorist
#48 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHibbert
Not clear on what you meant by detection of walls, other objects and table slots? do you mean when placing items etc they shouldn't be able to drag through a wall or another object? if so then yes I agree.

Windows are a placeable block on their own for now for two reasons, 1) I haven't worked out how to make then snap into place with an existing wall yet and 2) I don't know how close the build system can resemble the sims before I start getting into issues with EA.

I believe having items snap to the walls IS what he meant by "detecting walls." That's what "slots" are. They are points where you can place things on or against other things. I would love a system that makes windows snap up and down so you can ensure they are the same height, but allows infinite movement side to side so you don't need one and two tile versions of the same window just to have it fit properly.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#49 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 12:34 PM
I don't mind them being a placeable block, especially if the solid wall part of that block can be colored the same as the adjacent wall blocks. I am sure the build system can be improved over time, but why get hung up on it now?

Mike, I'd like to know what depth you are aiming for in the AI, and to what extent you are intending to create a "game" (with goals and ways to score them) as opposed to a "toy" (aka sandbox, for us to mess around in and experiment with what-ifs)

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 17th Jul 2017 at 1:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
I believe having items snap to the walls IS what he meant by "detecting walls." That's what "slots" are. They are points where you can place things on or against other things. I would love a system that makes windows snap up and down so you can ensure they are the same height, but allows infinite movement side to side so you don't need one and two tile versions of the same window just to have it fit properly.


I think this is doable but it's fairly complex as it means altering geometry, and, from my experiences with getting wall corners to match up, it could be very time-consuming.

For now, I want to see some good progress that I can show on a week to week basis so I can get some momentum that people can get behind.

But I also see how it would be helpful, so, not right now! ... but not very far off too as its needed

Mike
Page 2 of 19
Back to top