Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 9:55 PM Last edited by mdsb759 : 25th Jul 2017 at 10:22 PM.
Default adoption
this thread is about whether or not we have our sims adopt.
which families adopt; the number of adopted sims; the age/gender combinations of the adopted sims; when the adoptions take place; whether the adopted sims are generated or from neighborhood's "adoption bin"; whether or not we change the adopted character.

me; following families/sims adopted in past times playing::
Oldies: 1 Child Male. used SimPE's Sim Surgery to change face & skin to match Mary-Sue; changed name to Mark-Stu. adopted at beginning of game.
Summerdream: 1 Toddler Male, 1 Child Female; no changes to either. adopted shortly after beginning of game.
each of the Curious brothers: 2 Child sims each; 1 each of both genders. also Beaker. used SimPE's Sim Surgery to make some of those pairs match in face & skin. adopted shortly after their biological offspring become Child.

all adopted sims were generated.
I plan to repeat those adoptions this time playing.
I also plan for these families/sims to adopt::
Consort & Contessa Capp; 2 Child Male.
Patrizio & Isabella Monty; 1 Child Female.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:17 PM
I don't have any adopted children in my current game, though I do like the ability to adopt.

In my games, same sex couples adopt their children--unless they've been abducted. If a child is removed from a home and there are adult relatives in another household, I will sometimes have a relative adopt the child to keep him/her in the family. And I generally have a foster home in the neighborhood and the home's caretaker brings in children using the phone "adoption" feature.

I've never changed a child's appearance or personality. My adoptees are "whatcha get is whatcha get," like it or not.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:44 PM
Many adoptions, straight out of the maxis pool, and I have been very happy with all of them
Link Ninja
#4 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 11:53 PM Last edited by Charmful : 26th Jul 2017 at 2:39 AM.
I've only ever had two adoptions both from the adoption pool.

The first was a girl named Lyndsey and a gay couple adopted her - Aaron and Oliver Piper. She lived with them in apartments downtown until she went to college and now she lives a single life as the only resident of Kashmire Point, the shopping/boardwalk subhood but she likes the beach and mingles with townies, throws house parties and has a lot of romantic interests.

Arissa Frahlheind is long time lover of Erin Elberts, the famous rock goddess. They've been in a relationship for years and years and are pretty much common law wives at this point. Arissa felt they had so much room in their mansion and so adopted a little girl named Allyna that took her last name. Allyna has a decent relationship with Erin, she tried not to get underfoot at the studio and being left home alone while her mother figures toured (Arissa was roadie manager) was kind of lonely but she truly loves Arissa. She has had a lot of perks, being connected to such a famous and wealthy sim but also is considered grounded. She is a good violinist and plays as a hobby. Currently she is a Senior at Sim State University.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Alchemist
#5 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 1:40 AM
My Sims have adopted numerous kids over the years. Most have been generated from the adoption pool. Once,, I seeded the pool because I wanted Jennifer Burb to have a redheaded boy named Daniel after her late brother. I've never changed their personalities or looks or done anything to ensure that someone gets a boy or girl, except that one time.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 2:16 AM
Only one adoption so far into servo family. It was happy and playful family and girl was well cared. I never change genetics of children. You got what you got.
Scholar
#7 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 2:51 AM
Early on, I had a couple of adoptions when the father wanted another baby and the mother didn't, though I'm not sure whether it satisfied his "have a baby" want.

Jenny Smith adopted Pascal's daughter, who was seized after Vidcund died while the others were at work, and David Ottomas once had to adopt Tommy and the twins after his parents lost custody. Poor David, he was so busy raising his sibs he didn't get a chance to find love for himself until he was an elder.

The one time the older Newsons lost custody of the younger ones, there was a massive adoption drive in Strangetown; every Sim who could adopt a child did (except the Beakers, of course - trust them to be the only grouches!), even after the Newsons were all re-homed. General Buzz not only adopted a toddler girl, Eloise, but then took in Ginger and Gavin at Buck's request; having the two girls in the house seemed to soften him up a lot. Julien Cooke got Gabriella, whose poor grades were what had brought the social worker round in the first place, and he was a model single dad: she went on to be Knowledge aspiration and won a record number of scholarships.

Otherwise, adoption usually only occurs when a same-sex couple rolls a want for it; I've never had a male-female couple actually want to adopt, which I find rather sad. Nervous and Pascal once adopted so many kids that I'm sure their house must have felt pretty much the same as the orphanage!

I never change the adoptees, except maybe clothes and hair.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 2:57 AM
I have an orphanage, sims adopt from there if they need to.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#9 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I have an orphanage, sims adopt from there if they need to.

Do you include your orphanage in the rotation so the children age along with the rest of the neighborhood?
How do you get kids in the orphanage? Is there a mod that makes the social worker take them there instead of the Maxis abyss?

Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Early on, I had a couple of adoptions when the father wanted another baby and the mother didn't, though I'm not sure whether it satisfied his "have a baby" want.

I don't believe adopting a child satisfies the "have a baby" want. And I know that adopting a stray pet does not satisfy the "obtain a pet" want. Getting a pet via the phone, a stray, or from a friend *should* be considered "obtain a pet," and it irritates me that it does not.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
Do you include your orphanage in the rotation so the children age along with the rest of the neighborhood?
How do you get kids in the orphanage? Is there a mod that makes the social worker take them there instead of the Maxis abyss?

I do.
The first two I made in CAS along with my orphanage/social worker lady. The next two were unwanted twins. Now I have no children currently there right now except for the oneteen who did not get adopted. I do have one pregnant romance sim and one lady who's had a surprise pregnancy just 6 days shy of elder. I will have both of those babies go to the orphanage. I will let these ladies have their babies at the orphanage since I don't really like moving babies around with the mirror.

To the new adopting family I simply use Christianlov's transport mirror than do move in the the simlogical cat, after that I change the child's last name and set family flags with the sim blender. Because I play an integrated hood I try to keep actual game produced NPC's to a minimum, so most are playable sims taking NPC roles.

Quote:
I don't believe adopting a child satisfies the "have a baby" want. And I know that adopting a stray pet does not satisfy the "obtain a pet" want. Getting a pet via the phone, a stray, or from a friend *should* be considered "obtain a pet," and it irritates me that it does not.

Yeah it doesn't. My sims have so many unused aspiration points and are pretty much happy all the time without these wants filled. I might set a memory-if I remember to.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#11 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 8:06 AM
One of my family sims started an orphanage and ended up with a Maxis generated child that looked suspiciously like Gilbert Jaquet, even down to the hairstyle and clothes. When he grows up, he might investigate this further.
Instructor
#12 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 8:09 AM
I think there's a mod at Simbology that adresses the differences between having a child and adopting them, it's called Baby Wants Fix. The description says: "This hack removes the distinction between having or adopting a child as far as wants are concerned. Any sim with a want to adopt that has a baby born will have the adopt want satisfied. Works the other way around as well". It's at the same sex mods thread. Here: http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.0
I used the adoption system once, when I was like 7-8 years old and explored every new thing the game had. Since that, it's been about 10-11 years since a sim has adopted a kid in my game.
Scholar
#13 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 9:42 AM
It is one of the tricks to use if you have boring families (see the other thread) and can really liven things up. Also, orphanages are a blast to play!

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 9:56 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 26th Jul 2017 at 3:08 PM. Reason: I got the girls' names mixed up!
I do have adoption in my game but my Sims only started adopting this year. I have mods to allow teens both to adopt and be adopted. All adopted Sims have been generated by the game and brought by the social worker. So far there have been 3 adoptions and all of them are in Baldrair Bluffs, the custom 'hood started playing earlier this year, as a main "feeder" 'hood to Peni's Land Grant University. In part because I want lots of teens in the hood to go to the university, and, at the speed I play at, the Grim Reaper will probably come for me before any babies and toddlers reach university age, all adoptions so far have been at the older end of the scale: two children and a teenager to be precise.

First to adopt were Justin and John Brand, a black gay couple. The social worker brought them a little white girl called AmaliaAlyssa. Her two daddies both adore her.

Next were a couple of white teenagers, Alastair Gunn and Claudia Emerson. They got a little black girl called Amalia. Technically, since Alastair and Claudia are merely going steady, and not married or anything, only Alastair's name appears on the adoption papers, but, provided Alastair and Claudia stay together, I'm sure Amalia will grow up thinking of Claudia as her mum. Alastair and Claudia want to go to university, but they won't go until Amalia is a teen. Then they will leave Amalia to look after the house till they graduate. At least they won't move out without telling her like Alastair's parents did to him. After making a great fuss of him, they moved out and bought a new house up the hill, while Alastair was at school, leaving him to come home to an empty house! His parents thought forcing responsibility on him would help him to mature quickly. His response was to invite all his teenage friends round and ask their advice. Claudia was one of them, and their relationship developed from there.

The most recent adoption, just before I (temporarily) stopped playing Baldrair Bluffs to build a new neighbourhood for Jo's Community Spirit contest, was when Connor and Esmeralda Garvie, a working-age adult couple, decided to adopt a teenager. They got Wyatt, a blond-headed teenage boy. He's only been with them a couple of days, but has already got an A+ grade in school.

I love the way the social worker, herself black, placed the white girl with the black gay couple, and the black girl with the white teens. I reckon the more families you get like that, the sooner you'll get a genuinely colour-blind community. By an odd coincidence (I think it's a coincidence), the three adopting families all live very close together near the river.

Getting the information for this post has given me the urge to go back and play "The Bluffs" again. There's a lot to do both there and down the river at LGU. Researching this has shown me that I barely know some of the families there.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 12:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
First to adopt were Justin and John Brand, a black gay couple. The social worker brought them a little white girl called Amalia. Her two daddies both adore her.

Next were a couple of white teenagers, Alastair Gunn and Claudia Emerson. They got a little black girl called Amalia.

They really got two girls with the same name? XD
Scholar
#16 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa

That was the conclusion I came to, so I stopped doing it after a bit. Nice to have it confirmed, though!

Charity - The Maxis orphanage sent Nervous and Pascal two consecutive girls named Chris. Luckily they had completely different looks.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:43 PM
In Oakbrook, I have an orphanage lot. The lady who runs it is actually a servo that looks like an elder so I don't have to worry about her aging up. In the orphanage is a couple of Sims that I made in CAS and a couple of duplicate townies that I aged down (I messed up when installing the templates, and ended up with two sets of Pleasantview townies).

I have BO's Kids and Pets Unattended. To adopt, I use Simlogical's Transport Mirror, a hack that sets family relations, the name changer painting to change the surnames, the Memory Manipulator to give the Sim memories of adoption, and then I manually fulfill the "have/adopt a child" want with shift/ctrl-click. I tested this - when everything's set properly, the game recognizes the Sims as their children.

I play the orphanage as part as my regular rotation. Actually, one of the teens grew out of it and headed off to college with a couple of scholarships. He wants to be an architect.

One of my couples adopted two siblings (a child and a toddler), because they had problems with miscarriages and wanted children badly. This family also adopted the Crittur family, so they're hoping to move to a bigger house soon. They also let the children keep their original surname. I don't really have good pictures of the entire family, but here's one of little Ruth Williams (one of my friends came up with their names - her sister is Karen) with her new daddy:

Leod McGreggor and Cyd Roseland also talked about adopting a child after getting married - that is, unless Cyd ends up meeting some aliens and getting his internal plumbing modified so he can bear children.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#18 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
They really got two girls with the same name? XD
No!!! But their names are so similar that I mix them up!

The white girl with the Brands is Alyssa. Amalia is the black girl with the teens Alastair Gunn and Claudia Emerson.

Well, I think this proves that it's high time (Hy Thyme is one of Peni's pre-made students at LGU!) that I played this 'hood again, as I clearly don't know my Sims there well enough. I don't think I'd get my boys in Veronaville mixed up like that!

I've now corrected the original post.

Charity, sometimes I think I should send my posts to you, in your professional capacity, to proof-read before I post them! It's amazing how I can read through my post several times and not spot something like that. I think I read what I meant to write rather than what I actually did write.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:48 PM
Don't worry about it. I actually have a pretty frustrating problem where I can read over my own spelling mistakes, and they look perfectly normal until someone points them out.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#20 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:28 PM Last edited by Charity : 26th Jul 2017 at 4:42 PM.
I think that's actually a problem with the human brain. We see what we expect it to be. XD You have to get past that to proofread effectively.
Instructor
#21 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 4:36 PM
I like the genetics in the game, so my straight couples almost only give birth. My gay couples are the ones that adopt. Mostly it's just 1, unless they keep having baby wants (I've got the mod that Velvetina links), but it's always a freshly by the game created Sim who I don't change. I play for so long with empty/clean templates, I didn't even know there was an adoption bin!
Scholar
#22 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 7:33 PM
Well, my short answer is; I adopt all the time. I like it. Plus new genetics into the hood

Now, sometimes I will make Sims to go into the adoption bin. That's always fun so I know what's coming.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Forum Resident
#23 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
I think that's actually a problem with the human brain. We see what we expect it to be. XD You have to get past that to proofread effectively.

I used to write for a living, and yet I could NEVER be a proofreader! My eyes tend to gloss over what IS on the page and interprets it as what SHOULD BE on the page.
Of course, there are some exceptions. For instance, I cannot get past how many Sims creators have our Pixel-people eating at dinging tables and in dinging rooms.

Shipwreck Island
Forum Resident
#24 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
To adopt, I use Simlogical's Transport Mirror, a hack that sets family relations, the name changer painting to change the surnames, the Memory Manipulator to give the Sim memories of adoption, and then I manually fulfill the "have/adopt a child" want with shift/ctrl-click. I tested this - when everything's set properly, the game recognizes the Sims as their children.

Call me dense, but I don't understand how to manually fulfill wants with shift/ctrl-click. Click on what? The want? I don't have an adopt a child want, but I did try it with other wants (make a friend, buy a bookcase, etc) and nothing happened. Can you give me details on how this is done?

For those of you with orphanages, do you disable the social worker? Or do you allow her to take away some of the children why others are given up?

Shipwreck Island
Alchemist
Original Poster
#25 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I have mods to allow teens both to adopt and be adopted.
I have a version of the former; created it myself.
Page 1 of 2