Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:58 AM Last edited by KatyFernlily : 22nd Sep 2017 at 3:32 PM.
Default Wcif: terrain paint
This is probably the wrong forum but I've been looking for instructions on how to create terrain paint for in game use with TSR workshop. All I could find where a few general threads but nothing is very explanitory. Do this, this and this..good luck - is about all I can find. There are a jillion terrain paints out there...someone must have a simple explanation on how to do this. Thank you for any help or overview that you can give. I just want to create a few textures to match a world I'm working on for in game use ( not caw ). Thanks again ; )
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 6:39 AM Last edited by sweetdevil : 18th Sep 2017 at 11:23 AM.
Would you be OK with working with S3PE and S3OC instead?

1. Create your 1024 x 1024 seamless pattern, and save it as a DDS.

2. Open S3OC and select Clone \ Terrain Paintbrushes.

3. Select one of the terrain paints; I like to choose one in the same category that mine will be in.

4. Click Clone or Fix and make the adjustments you want on the right (change Catalog Name and Description).
(EDIT: you can also tick the "Copy English to all languages" box so your description will be consistent.)

5. On the left, tick all the available boxes, give it a different name, then click Start. Save your file somewhere.

6. Open your cloned pattern in S3PE and look for the _IMG entry - this is your image. Right-click it and choose Replace, then look for your terrain paint (you may have to change the search parameter to _IMG by type if your DDS has a filename that is different from the S3_[long string of numbers and letters] format). Select it, then click Open and the pattern will be imported over the existing one.

Now you can test your pattern in-game!

Optional: you can also change the resource names within the package, but you'll also have to replace the old instance numbers with the new (changing names also changes the resources' instance numbers).

Double-click on the _IMG resource and take note of the current instance number (you can copy/paste it somewhere else). If the resource doesn't already have a name (the "Name" field is blank), check the "Use Resource Name" box and write a name (I recommend a unique one).

Next, click the FNV64 button; you'll notice the Instance has changed. Copy the part after the 0x (e.g. if you have 0x8C6D5D428D70BD30, then copy only 8C6D5D428D70BD30) and click OK.

Now, go to the first CTPT resource, select it, and click Grid. Find the BrushTexture field and replace the instance number of the old texture with the instance number of the new one, then click Commit.
Do the same for the second CTPT resource.
Also, within the CTPT resources, the Category field also lets you change the category of the terrain paint

You can also change the names of the CTPT and THUM resources, but those won't require replacements within other resources.

Optional^2: you can delete the smaller thumbnails and only keep the bigger one, and replace it with a custom version!

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 9:20 PM
Thank you for description, it is helpful. (I'm not very computer savvy so some of it is above my wee little brain). I am wondering tho, does this just change a texture or does it create one that I can use in any world, as in it would now be in my game to use where ever I wanted to. Like downloading one and adding via the launcher or put in mods folder? I'm sorry that this sort of thing makes my brain hurt like trying to figure out some insanely complicated math equation.
But again, thank you for all your time trying to explain it. I will understand it after I read it several times.
Alchemist
#4 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 8:36 AM
If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! I'll be happy to answer them.

Quote: Originally posted by KatyFernlily
I am wondering tho, does this just change a texture or does it create one that I can use in any world, as in it would now be in my game to use where ever I wanted to. Like downloading one and adding via the launcher or put in mods folder?

The way I described it, you end up with a totally new terrain paint that doesn't conflict with anything else. In step #5 (I numbered them for easier reading), the last box you check is "Renumber/Rename internally", which ensures that the resources within the package will be given new instance numbers i.e. will not conflict with existing ones. If you didn't tick that box, then yes, you would have a default replacement.

And since you will end up with a .package file, you put it in the Mods \ Packages folder and don't have to deal with the Launcher in any way. Also you can use it in any world, but if you do use it in a savefile and then remove it, you will end up with black patches where it was used.

If it's easier to follow, I can update the post with screenshots.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 11:22 AM
Thank you for your help! I did it....I now have a terrain paint, in game, that matches. It was actually very easy to do.
I think your mini tutorial should be stickied somewhere, if it isn't already. I certainly am coping/pasting in my folder with all my other sims help stuff.
Thank you again for your time and help!