Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 7:40 PM
Default Breastfeeding Toddlers in Sims 4?
Breastfeeding is natural and breastfeeding toddlers should be no exception. Searched high and low for a mod that could make it possible to breastfeed the toddlers with no luck. Is there anyway that this could ever be an option. It would realify the sims even more. I was breastfed into my toddler years, just wanted to keep the bond it makes going for the sims.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 7:46 PM
Aren't they... ya know, too BIG for breastfeeding? Than again, I'm no parent and therefor 0 experence with that.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 8:33 PM
In nature, human children would not be weaned until around the age of four. Of course, most of their nutrition comes from food at that point. It is our culture which is squeamish on the whole topic.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
In nature, human children would not be weaned until around the age of four. Of course, most of their nutrition comes from food at that point. It is our culture which is squeamish on the whole topic.

Hm ... where do you get that from? I would think with humans ability to have babies almost every year, the previous baby would be excluded as soon as the new one arrives. On the other hand in some species, the woman doesn't regain her productivity until she stops produce milk for the last baby. In my eyes 4 years is a very long tlme.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 9:28 PM Last edited by grindingteeth : 25th Sep 2017 at 9:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Hm ... where do you get that from? I would think with humans ability to have babies almost every year, the previous baby would be excluded as soon as the new one arrives. On the other hand in some species, the woman doesn't regain her productivity until she stops produce milk for the last baby. In my eyes 4 years is a very long tlme.

It makes sense, as milk is a more secure source of food than food that is hunted and gathered. It's also complete in nutrition - additionally, most human women are also unable to conceive while lactating. There are exceptions. Such as that Duggar woman; She commented on it at one point, crediting her ability to have had so many kids to the fact she was able to conceive while breastfeeding.

There are people who have fed their kids well into child years (6 plus)... but that's just. I don't know... awkward as hell.

Edit: Anyway, someone would have to be willing to animate that mod, and I don't think it's likely for most modders to put that high on their priority list. You could try requesting it in the appropriate section.
Scholar
#6 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 9:29 PM
Some people breast feed even past 4, opting to let the child decide when to quit. I'm not against breastfeeding but that seems... a bit much^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grindingteeth
It makes sense, as milk is a more secure source of food than food that is hunted and gathered. It's also complete in nutrition - additionally, most human women are also unable to conceive while lactating. There are exceptions. Such as that Duggar woman; She commented on it at one point, crediting her ability to have had so many kids to the fact she was able to conceive while breastfeeding.

There are people who have fed their kids well into child years (6 plus)... but that's just. I don't know... awkward as hell.

Edit: Anyway, someone would have to be willing to animate that mod, and I don't think it's likely for most modders to put that high on their priority list. You're could try requesting it in the appropriate section.

Thank you. Where is the appropiate section?
Field Researcher
#8 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CatCoyote
Thank you. Where is the appropiate section?

Sorry, should have included this link.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 10:51 PM
It varies culture to culture. As GT noted, some go much later. In my eyes, four is a bit long, too. On the other hand, I remember reading a statement in an anthropology book about how matings often lasted four years, around the time children became somewhat less dependant on their mothers and could walk easily and with some distance on their own.

There was some data taken for figures before formula became prevalent which suggested around 4, but it's somewhat contested. The figures seem to settle between 2 and a half to four, again, depending on the culture.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 11:22 PM
Nah. The Sims is not a game that takes place is a remote European village with limiters access to resources. The Sims have very much had their industrial revolution - let the babbies have bottles!

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Instructor
#11 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 11:23 PM
Breastfeeding for babies I can get behind, but toddlers?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grindingteeth
Sorry, should have included this link.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.
Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 12:05 AM
I don't get all the breastfeeding shaming in this thread...the WHO recommends children be breastfed until age 2-3.
Test Subject
#14 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Nah. The Sims is not a game that takes place is a remote European village with limiters access to resources. The Sims have very much had their industrial revolution - let the babbies have bottles!

How does it logically follow that bottles become healthier in post industrialized societies?
Theorist
#15 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 12:37 AM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 26th Sep 2017 at 4:52 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by endlessgalaxy
How does it logically follow that bottles become healthier in post industrialized societies?
In fact, in many unindustrialised countries bottle/formula feeding can be a real life saver** giving the mother more time for work and chores necessary to make ends meet and survive in these countries, as breast feeding can take ~35 hours a week. Whereas women in industrialised countries (except the USA) get paid maternity leave and plenty of time to breastfeed!

**That is of course in areas that have access to clean drinking water, as preparing baby formula with unclean water is extremely dangerous and can be a significant cause of infant mortality in these areas.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 12:48 AM

For me, the issue wasn't about health, but it not being a necessity due to having an alternative. A woman isn't required to breastfeed as long and can ween the child off of breastfeeding faster. Technically, but giving a baby a bottle, it gives her more time to do whatever else she either needs or wants to do. Not so much healthier, but I doubt the FDA is calling baby formula a detriment to a child's overall health, growth, and development, but a woman can still pump her own breast milk into a bottle if she wishes.

I don't get all the breastfeeding shaming in this thread...the WHO recommends children be breastfed until age 2-3.

Who is shaming breastfeeding? I haven't seen anyone shame breastfeeding, but we all just have different opinions about when to stop. Everyone here seems pro-breastfeeding.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#17 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 1:28 AM Last edited by ShigemiNotoge : 26th Sep 2017 at 4:59 PM. Reason: to provide more correct information
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Not so much healthier, but I doubt the FDA is calling baby formula a detriment to a child's overall health, growth, and development

^^)/ research has shown there is no significant nutritional difference between breast milk and baby formula if it's prepared safely and correctly--

EDIT: Should probably be giving correct information. RIP

EDIT EDIT: Fine I'll take that part out altogether? WTF do you guys want from me?
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 5:02 AM
Breastmilk doesn't protect from mumps or measles or whatever else we have vaccines for.
It helps with strengthening your regular immune system so not every one of the millions of bacteria in the air or on surfaces kills you.
Theorist
#19 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Breastmilk doesn't protect from mumps or measles or whatever else we have vaccines for.
It helps with strengthening your regular immune system so not every one of the millions of bacteria in the air or on surfaces kills you.

Whoops, thanks. must have gotten that info wrong somewhere, or my brain stopped working for a minute. ; ^ -^)7
Scholar
#20 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 12:46 PM
Actually, I may be wrong, but I think if the mother has a decent immunity (thanks to being vaccinated herself), breastmilk will give the baby some protection from those illnesses, just not indefinitely. It's not like the body has separate immune systems for day to day bugs and potentially deadly diseases, they're all handled by the same stuff, the difference is due to things like how effective the particular virus/bacteria is against the human body, how good the individual immune system is at recognising it as a threat and fighting against it, and how frequently we're exposed to it (which is what trains our body on how to recognise/fight infection).

UPDATE: Found this article that gives a good and clear explanation of the whole thing. Turns out that while breastmilk in fact does not provide significant protection against those illnesses, that's okay because the baby has already received those antibodies from the mother before they were born!

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
dodgy builder
#21 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 4:36 PM
I would think this is very different in each country. Where I live we have health authorities who has their own rules or recommandations, usually they needs to be read as law almost, woman who doesn't follow them usually ends up explaining a lot to everyone who tends to say "you're a bad mother". It's rather tough to hear.

The authorities usually like woman to breastfeed in the beginning for the babie's immunesystem, for bonding with the baby and because babies who are feed baby food early developes allergies easier. There is a lot of research on this subject though.

They say on their pages: https://helsenorge.no/etter-fodsel/amming

Quote:
menstruasjonen kommer senere tilbake

Translated to "the period will return later"
Theorist
#22 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 4:55 PM
I would think this is very different in each country. Where I live we have health authorities who has their own rules or recommandations, usually they needs to be read as law almost, woman who doesn't follow them usually ends up explaining a lot to everyone who tends to say "you're a bad mother". It's rather tough to hear.

The authorities usually like woman to breastfeed in the beginning for the babie's immunesystem, for bonding with the baby and because babies who are feed baby food early developes allergies easier. There is a lot of research on this subject though.

.-. What about the 15% of women who are physically unable to breastfeed, adoptions, and foster parents? are these all "bad mothers"
dodgy builder
#23 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 4:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
.-. What about the 15% of women who are physically unable to breastfeed?

These are not my views, but I would guess they can easy feel lazy and like they are bad mothers in other people's eyes.

The health authorities views are recommandations though, so it's the mother's decitions in the end.
Theorist
#24 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 5:01 PM
These are not my views, but I would guess they can easy feel lazy and like they are bad mothers in other people's eyes.

What a horrible burden to put on a new mother, as though she hasn't got enough to worry about she's gotta be judged about how she feeds her kid. .-.
Test Subject
#25 Old 26th Sep 2017 at 5:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
In fact, in many unindustrialised countries bottle/formula feeding can be a real life saver** giving the mother more time for work and chores necessary to make ends meet and survive in these countries, as breast feeding can take ~35 hours a week. Whereas women in industrialised countries (except the USA) get paid maternity leave and plenty of time to breastfeed!

**That is of course in areas that have access to clean drinking water, as preparing baby formula with unclean water is extremely dangerous and can be a significant cause of infant mortality in these areas.

I was just about to comment what you said next to the asterisks there. I think that bottle feeding is really *only* especially helpful in more industrialized cultures and countries.
Page 1 of 2