Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

2018 MTS Calendar Contest - posted on 12th Nov 2017 at 8:48 PM
Replies: 36 (Who?), Viewed: 2587 times.
Page 1 of 2
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 6:41 PM Last edited by gazania : 18th Oct 2017 at 9:09 AM. Reason: Sorry. Internet out most of day. Hid the notes behind SPOILER tag.
Default TWO lots for your perusal ... Naftali Hall Pt 2 and Touch of Retro
Be prepared for lots of pictures and text. I'll try to put stuff under spoilers.

We have Naftali Hall Pt. 2. This is a dorm I'm trying to deck out for Homecoming for the Celebrations theme. Six students, a kitchen, a small TV area and study area, outdoor dining, vending machines. This is a dorm for students who are serious about their studies!

Some notes. Pics in next post. Sorry, mods, but this post would be way too long!

Notes under SPOILER.

The containers are roughly the same proportions as real containers. There are three popular sizes used in building, and I'm using two of them. I had to adapt the sizes for the game, of course, but it could prove a challenge.

Last version of the troublesome lot (the one that did not work):

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#2 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 6:47 PM Last edited by gazania : 18th Oct 2017 at 4:16 AM.
Pics under spoiler. And first, I need an opinion. Which version looks better to you?

More pics. I took them of the second lot, since I am leaning toward that one, but can change them around to the original version.

Should Touch of Retro be its own thread? Perhaps. But I don't want to post FOUR posts in a row, so I'll hold off on it for now.

I probably should move the second-floor elevator door to the front as well. I'll have to see if there is enough room.

I would appreciate creative comments mentioning something I missed.

Also, is the lot bedecked enough for the occasion?

Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 4:41 PM
The lots are very pretty, @gazania. All 3 of them

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 7:48 PM Last edited by gazania : 20th Oct 2017 at 1:00 AM.
Whew. For a second, I was wondering, "Does the dorm stink THAT much?" Thank you, justpetro!

My daughter's comment was that at a quick glance the dorm may seem boxy. However, once she looked at it more carefully in-game, she added that it certainly wasn't. It's a bit more intricate than it might appear at first.

To be honest, I think the so-called "bad dorm" still appeals to me a little more, and I will probably rebuild it for my own use. However, the mini-novel of CC (Some of which I cannot find TOUs for), the one-tile hallway in the middle (though you can block that off easily enough), the windows curtain-less (I've yet to find curtains that look good with these and won't take up space, including Holy Simoly ones, but MY Sims don't care, exhibitionists though they are!) and clipping into the wall, and the workout that any Sim living there would have to experience would probably get a frown from the mods. I do like this version, though, as well and even if it's not accepted as an upload or I don't upload it, I'll probably use the crap out of it in my Unis. Routing is excellent, if nothing else, and my Sims can have privacy! (I think I'll go with V2, by the way.)

The death by elevator bit still bugs me, though. From what I read and experienced after years of playing elevators, it's pretty rare and only occurs if your Sim is REALLY in a bad mood, but I would hate to see someone after a relationship breakup die because of that! You could always use the water fountain here to perk up spirits, and it could easily fit in the elevator lobby.

I did mention another lot. Here it is for perusal. But first, here is Inspiration #1 for it. I have been wanting to take a go at this for some time:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42353...57622229110201/

The chimney always drove me to distraction, though. I could never get it the way I wanted it.

Inspiration #2: This post:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=601180

I looked through a bunch of retro houses (focusing on the 40s - 60s), and KaterMikesch77 is right ... there are very few retro houses for lots smaller than 2x3 or 3x2. Most are medium or larger lots. But very few for 2x2s ... if any. Other than KaterMikesch77's cute effort (download here, maybe?), I could find maybe one or two that would come close to the mark. When I build my retro-esque houses, I generally go for 3x2 and up myself.

So ... challenge accepted! Kind of. I was going to try to squish the floor plans a little for that house I wanted to build anyway (I barely got it on the 2x2!), and finally make this lot.

Only ... I failed, and my timing was very poor. I just helped sell my real-life childhood home a couple of months ago , where we moved in 1963, Memories of the house back then flooded my perception as I created this lot, and there is a little more of my life on this lot than I intended. Unfortunately, it also missed the mid-century criteria by a few years.

When I build a retro lot, I have a different perception than most. Gazania's perception under the SPOILER:

So no, this house doesn't exactly fit KaterMikesch77's want list. Sorry, KaterMikesch77! But I might as well post it anyway. Could my failure still be of merit?

Decisions for some of the decor choices in this SPOILER area:

Another thing I tried to do was to keep the CC list down and use a large amount of stuff that downloaders can use in future lots. Tiggy windows are pretty classic, so I used those in place of jalousies. I have 16 cc items, which is on the lower side for a retro house. HOWEVER, it meant using a lot of Maxis stuff. I stuck with more classic pieces, trying not to break the date range. One HUGE exception .. the smoke alarms. I might add one more piece of CC and put the range hood smoke alarm in there. I will probably leave the outside one, though ... maybe hide it a little better. No cabinets because cabinets are CC. I probably could list where people could find it.

I did not extend the overhang in the back. It looked awful.

Because of the chimney, I had to dummy-roof a little higher than I wanted. I will not touch anything involving that blasted chimney. It took me a couple of days to get it just right. It ain't budging. I had originally planned to lot-shrink the house; hence the foundation, but realized that might affect the chimney as well. The original plan had a basement, but I was trying to keep the cost down. It's still almost 60K SImoleons. I want to cut that down.

You can expand, but unlike most of my houses, it might be tougher. Not impossible at all, but tougher.

The area behind the chimney could probably be a storage area or closet in real life; hence the empty area and the shelves. I converted the sleeping porch on the plans to an office. I plan to get rid of the two mid-range windows going to the porch. It seemed a good idea at the time, but ..... I think I also switched out the lights in the bedroom.

Anyway, here is Lot 2 ... a Touch of Retro. If anyone finds anything really not fitting a 1955 - 1965 time range OTHER THAN the smoke alarms, please let me know. Baby Boomers, I need your help, since my memory may not be what it used to.

For some reason, Imgur isn't working for me. I don't like using ModYourPanties for preview pics. Hmmm ...

This is the only picture that showed up on my alternate service. Time for another option.

And yes, one biggie that I NEED to address ...those popcorn ceilings! That is a glaring anachronistic error. EEK! Done, but may change.

I have to scoot, and will just add the pictures here. Once I figure out why Imgur is rejecting these particular pictures (there is certainly no nudity in them, though there may be an excess of chips and sour cream dip!), I'll fix that. Sorry, MTS.

Needs Coffee
staff: moderator
#5 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 12:29 AM
I think this is rather a lot of lots in one thread gazania, a bit confusing. I like the first one with the yellow, red, brown walls and the one round window except all I see is the front. Personalty for me the second looks overly busy, too many ovals and diamonds going on. I like the last house although I am wondering what that long skinny room behind the chimney is for?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#6 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 1:51 AM
Why do you have lights inside the chimney? I recognize that huge chimney sticking out as a 60s type design feature (I think any parts that weren't chimney would be storage or house the water heater or something), but for sims I think it's so much waste space - unless you take away the hedge and give them a patio fireplace, which would be 100% period-appropriate and way cool.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 2:01 AM Last edited by gazania : 20th Oct 2017 at 1:01 AM.
That first one was the problem dorm, and I was just using the general picture to give you an idea of what the "problem dorm" was. I could rebuild it from scratch, but there are a lot of stairs going on, and there is a ton of CC with that lot. would have to switch out some of the walls and some of the other CC since I am not quite sure of the TOU, as well as really pare down that CC list. And I would need a substitute for those large windows because of the clipping and the difficulty finding any curtains for them.

If I were to go with the second version, the one without the lobby is less fussy. I do not need the diamond wallpaper. I was just trying to break up the plain green paint. I have already removed some windows ... I thought I was overdoing it even as I was looking at it again. I can try Maxis rectangular windows again.

I guess I can do both, and offer both. I might switch out that silver Maxis wall, though, if I go for more CC walls and use rectangular Maxis windows. Can you IMAGINE what fun that would be when the sun shines full-strength on that one?

I was trying to make some extra space behind the rock facade on the house, but I think I have a better idea. Let me try it. I will still have unused space, but not as much, and it's definitely early 60s.

Strangely, I never personally knew about anyone having a patio fireplace until well into the 60s/70s, and those were .... dramatic music ... richer people! (Or so we thought!) And I don't know if any of the Maxis ones would work, since I'm trying to trim the CC. For us peons, it was the barbecue grill.

Maybe a little Googling of retro patios might be in order, as well as a little more memory-flogging. I am a young child again, standing in my yard, or a neighbor's, relative's or friend's yard. Think, Gazania. What might you see?

Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 5:04 AM
Rich is a relative term. In the 80s my little sister lived in a small ranch home (what I tend to call a "crackerbox" because the shape resembles a box of animal crackers) with an enclosed patio, which shared a ginormous fireplace with the dining area. I believe there were originally glass panels that could be closed on either side of the firebox, so that you could sit either inside or outside to enjoy the fireplace, and not let a draft in. You could probably have gotten a pretty impressive blaze with both panels open. The house itself was tiny and the area was a development of the type originally inhabited by people with upper-working-class, lower-middle-class incomes. I presumed it was built to order for a bachelor with a Popularity, Pleasure, or Romance aspiration, who was more interested in ambiance than square footage.

If you decided you wanted to do it, I think the fireplace that came with Pets, the square modern one, would work best with this house. Myself I've used the metal one as a kind of chiminea, and that might work here, too; but it wouldn't blend as well with the chimney feature.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 6:35 AM Last edited by gazania : 19th Oct 2017 at 12:30 PM.
I can give it a shot. I tried doing niches ... those were very, very popular in the day ... by taking out a section of the chimney, but I think the dummy-roofing did something ... it looked really, really bad.

Using another option, I'm thinking of enabling rewards and putting in the koi pond. No extra CC, and koi ponds were definitely around in the early and mid-60s. I remember one at my aunt's and uncle's house back in the 60s and 70s. But enabling rewards is technically CC-related. It's amazing how tempted I am to dig into my good game and pull out the juicy retro stuff I have in there! Even limiting CC can be difficult for a CC-addict.

Anyway, I'll give both options a shot. (EDIT ... forgot the Koi pond is not a simple download item. Oops.) The one thing I'd hesitate about, though, is that I already have a fireplace. There is another option, but ... you guessed it ... it's CC.

As for Naftali, I took comments into accord. Right now, I really don't have the time to reconstruct the "bad dorm" from scratch, though I might want to do it at some point later, so I'm working with V2. I took out many windows, and even eliminated a small section of the top floor. There is a mural thingie, but I tried to be more discrete where i repeated it. Moved the vending machines indoors, shortened the ladder staircase walls, got rid of panels entirely on the outside and rear posts, Made each floor a certain color and got rid of the shiny Maxis wallpaper. Used the base Helios door, so that got rid of the contrasting glass color problem.

Do realize that the gaudy decorations are for homecoming. I can assure you that students happily decorating their dorms are not exactly polished designers! I'm seeing various decorations now for a certain event on my daughter's campus. I hope the students didn't think me some creepy old woman for studying their apartments and dorms.

Pics. I THINK I got Imgbox to work. Imgur is still wretched today, as is the other one I tried. I read this happens sometimes with Imgur. I'm really trying not to overuse the image-loading capabilities here for test pics. Crossing fingers ... please work!

Errr .... I think I can take out one of the kegs! And whether I like it or not, I will have to use CC curtains. The Maxis ones I prefer still don't work with the windows. so I would have to I use the thick and heavy-looking ones, which just wouldn't go with the decor. And sorry about the ceiling tool! The top floor DOES have a ceiling! I will also fix that messed-up wallpaper near the upper stair. I will probably change out those plants as well ... go for smaller ones. Maybe drape some lights here and there.

Mad Poster
#10 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 9:48 AM
I like the lot.

As for celebration:

I don't really know what Homecoming celebrates or how it is done, so I don't think I can be of much help there. There are, however, too many kegs - one should be enough, paper cups will be all over the place. I am not sure it looks festive enough though; so perhaps more party decorations will help?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 12:27 PM
Yes, I think I overdid the kegs just a tad.

The lack of festive stuff is pretty glaring to me, too. I have the llama statues, the llama crossing signs (both CC), the keg(s), the balloons, the bonfire, the pennants, a bunch of fireworks, etc. But it seems like it needs more. I'll have to look in the catalog to see just what I can work with. But it's a huge building, and it all doesn't quite seem enough. However, I know better than to put the smaller groups of balloons in the lot package! Those things deflate really quickly (though I'm sure there's a mod for that! )

As for Taste of Retro ... I tried desperately to put that fireplace outside. I move_objected, snap_objected, tried sticking it in a niche in the chimney/part that sticks out (real good architectural term there!) etc. and this thing just doesn't want to be placed! I did find that if you put a fireplace in a building, you have to get it situated BEFORE dummy-roofing, and you really can't move it. But I did try! I have a Plan B. Not much of a Plan B, maybe, but I KNOW these were around in the 60s. I'll have to see how it plays in-game, though. It may look really crappy.

Needs Coffee
#12 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 12:39 PM
That looks lots better. I would cut back on all the cc that you don't really need-but that is just me I tend to use none to little on lots for upload.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 6:17 PM Last edited by gazania : 21st Oct 2017 at 1:02 AM. Reason: Nope. Those old windows just won't work as well for an upload. I did give them another look.
Right now, I'm not focusing on no CC, but trying really, really hard not to make some of those long laundry lists you see on the Web. (Some lots have 35+ more MBs!) Yes, I could ace a retro look or container look much more easily with my CC. I have fences in my good game that would be perfect with Touch of Retro, or use the buyable koi pond. Bada boom, bada bing. A really pretty retro lot.

If I must use CC, I'm leaning toward flexibility. I can't do that 100% with the shipping container dorms, for instance. The Maxis ones are limited, and I don't consider most of them usable. But Tiggy's windows can be used for both modern and retro builds, and they are often a part of many downloads, including bozlove's retro lots. This is why I went with Tiggy's instead of using my jalousie CC for TOR, which would better match the original plan. It wasn't an easy decision, since I'm so nitpicky. The Helios windows can also be used in a number of instances.

And in both lots, I'm really minding the use of any mods. I originally had flowers up to the hilt in TOR, but had to scale them back when I realize that without Perfect Plants, my Sims would be really stompy!

I constantly count the number of CC items in both lots, trying to restrain myself. Not easy at all, since I depend on CC so much!

Mad Poster
DELETED POST
Original Poster
20th Oct 2017 at 10:45 AM Last edited by gazania : 20th Oct 2017 at 11:57 AM.
This message has been deleted by gazania. Reason: No need for me to worry. Helios windows default to OFB if people won't use TSR.
Needs Coffee
#14 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 8:55 AM
You can include TSR items unless the creator has a strict no re upload policy gazania.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 9:53 AM Last edited by gazania : 21st Oct 2017 at 4:30 PM.
It was just the realization that some people will never, never use stuff directly from TSR, even though it's free to download now. They prefer to use the Booty version. Alas, the Booty is down, so people can't get it that way. However, if people are that dead-set against anything directly from TSR and won't put the windows and doors in their game, they simply get black OFB windows and doors. The worst thing is that if they don't have CEP, they will have to recolor them ... they're a variation of the messed-up ones that CEP corrects.

I think Naftali is at the stage where I'm doing the final tests and putting in final fixes. (That still may take a little more time, though ... I'm often not on the game as much as I used to be.) I snap-objected the llama crossing signs so they face both ways (I couldn't figure out which way I wanted the signs to face and realized that I really didn't have to decide!), put a radio, a string of lights on the lower floor and the buffet table to indicate a party will be in progress after that big game, and stuck a couple of mascot statues on the upper floor. Put the Myshuno game on the lower floor in case Sims wanted to have a drunken game of Myshuno. Took out the large potted plants and put in ones with smaller pots. You probably won't want to know why. (It involves a couple of college memories of my own!) FINALLY figured out what shade of green I wanted in the non-container areas. Now looking for old wallpaper, missed windows, etc. I CANNOT find a good curtain for the smaller window in the back unless I use still another CC item, and absolutely no Maxis window treatment fits, so I went with a much smaller and higher window. Curtained windows are in front.

I'm now working on TOR. I decided to actually borrow a couple of things from my aunt and uncle's house back then. No matter what I tried, I could not get the second outside fireplace to place. No cheat would get it to do so. Hopefully, there will be final versions soon. I'm starting to miss my game!

EDIT ... I should really switch out the Helios doors on Naftali. I realize that solid doors really wouldn't work in a building with so many people going in and out. That would be a good way to smack into someone! I will have to find another door ... I think there is a clear-glass version of Helios. An extra CC item, but I think it might be a good idea.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 12:44 PM
I am looking forward to see these when they are done!

Mad Poster
#17 Old 21st Oct 2017 at 6:11 PM
Streamers and posters and mums are what you need for homecoming...no idea how to simulate those. Aren't there some "arches" that are really columns with banners strung between them, though?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 12:02 AM Last edited by gazania : 22nd Oct 2017 at 1:16 PM. Reason: Bah. Getting too wordy too often.
I'm coming to the opinion that I might not want to include all the Homecoming stuff in the upload, but simply link to it. Most downloaders, if they want my lot (if), might not want the decorations. Another option would be to upload two versions of the lot ... one with decorations and one without. At the rate I'm going, about a quarter to a third of my CC has to do with decorations, and if I keep including stuff, it may go beyond a third. But this building still looks like it needs more..

One possible option for at least picture would be for me to find a public domain llama picture and make my own painting/poster in Sim PE. Some colleges have actual animal mascots. I can do pitifully little in Sim PE, but I CAN do THAT! I can see if I can locate Gerbits the Llama mascot. I hope a Sims farmer takes good care of it off-season!

Not sure where to find mums.

I'm using a tried and true door that I find works on tall windows ... the Alpine door ... and I'm using one of ICad's colors. Since the mesh is included, no one really has to go to the site, though a link to it would, of course, be the right thing to do. Problem is, the door is clear glass and the windows are white glass. Not as pronounced as white glass/blue glass. but there is a little bit of a difference. I'm wondering if I should just leave it at this point. I spent way too much time trying to find a door, and none of the ones I found are 100% spot-on.

I tried using a stock picture of a llama (public domain), and putting it on a banner. Colleges often have real-life mascots. Using special effects on the picture didn't look that great, so I went with a straight photo. I might still try to alter the photo with special effects, though. It's a little TOO photo-realistic. (EDIT ... Clothified, blurred the margins and slightly cartoonized the llama using GIMP. Not the most expert job, but it may do.)

Anyway, more festooning for the theme ...

The llama signs face both ways (snap_objects). I think the deco is coming along much better. It's not supposed to look like something out of a home and garden magazine. More like something a bunch of college students would quickly set up.

Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2017 at 10:12 PM
Why does an all-metal building have wooden stairs?
Don't you think the Holy Smoke stairs would fit into the theme better?
Needs Coffee
#20 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 12:55 AM
There are metal stairs in game and yes metal would look better.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 4:48 AM Last edited by gazania : 24th Oct 2017 at 6:19 PM.
However, these are ladder stairs. They take only two tiles. There would be no room to put any Maxis stairs. Even the spiral ones don't look good. I tried using the spiral stairs most of one evening, doing whatever I could to turn them to fit. I have also tried other Maxis stairs. I have seen wooden ladder stairs in a container house ...that is what gave me the idea to put these here in the first place.

That brown could be toned down, though. I have three options:

1. See if the ladders come in gray or black. That would at least look less obvious.
2. See if someone did a metal recolor of them anywhere. Some people do Fallout-esque stuff. I did not see anything like that, though. I did look. But I'll look again, or
3. See if I can find another two-tile ladder stair. (A ladder only might look a little odd!)

It is possible that Marvine's spiral stairs may not take as much space, though there will be some animation issues (at least I see them in the 1x1 lots I have). I don't find them bothersome, but some might. Those are meant for a 1x1 house, though, so they may be a little tighter than the Maxis spiral stairs. Riekus 13 has some metal recolors of a spiral stair ... I would have to see if they are of Marvine's. It probably wouldn't hurt to give them a try.

I should also add that there are other non-metal parts to the building. Some real-life container abodes do mix and match.

EDIT ... The Marvine stairs are narrow on the bottom, but are four tiles on the top. So those are out. The Riekus stairs are based on the Maxis spiral ones. Ditto with those. However, while I could not find the ladder stairs in a metal texture, I did find them in a gray stucco or concrete texture. I also have a black wooden version and a green stucco, but I think that while the green stucco matches the green paint near it, it might be a little TOO matchy-matchy. For now, I have gray stucco.

Mad Poster
#22 Old 23rd Oct 2017 at 4:05 PM
The grey stairs work for me.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 12:23 AM Last edited by gazania : 27th Oct 2017 at 9:34 AM. Reason: Working out stuff as I go.
At this point, I'm at the "test the crap out of these lots" stage. There are some things I noticed and some I am trying. Nothing major. I'm down to minor tweaks now, so that's good. Routing is fine in both places, with one really small exception in TOR (mentioned below):

1. How much of a big deal are the elevators and the very slim chance of an elevator death? I changed the elevators out in place of stairs, since very, very, very few dorms on American college campuses (and I would gather in many other countries as well) do not have handicapped-accessible features, and I doubt that a student loaded with books and projects would want to climb all those stairs! My daughter used to use the elevator often in her game's dorms, and in all the times she's played them, an elevator death happened just once. Apparently, the Sim's motives REALLY have to be in the red. I never saw an elevator death in the 11 years I've played this game, but I try to keep motives up.

EDIT ... At this point, I really don't want to switch these out, so I think a warning will do.

2. The retro house looks cute with the fountain, I think. (Peni, I even tried it with the fireplace, and it looked nifty.) Now that I slimmed down the chimney and got it down to one-tile with a foundation ledge in front, I have more space to put fancy stuff like that. However, putting soap in the fountain would require you to remove a plant, turn the fountain around, teleport the Sim on the ledge, add soap, teleport the Sim back, and turn the item back around again after replacing the plant. Since I have a light move_objected below to light the fountain up, it would require move_objects. Not a huge deal, but I suppose I should let people know. I do NOT like the fountain on the ground. It just doesn't work, IMO. There is a small possibility of stompy Sims because of this, but is this a major issue? it wasn't like putting soap in fountains was a big thing back then! (You would have to teleport Sims, remove and replace the one plant, and turn the item around to get it to do stuff on any item that has a menu, it seems, including fireplaces.)

A statue might be nice too, I guess, and the only problem would be "viewing", but I like the idea of a fountain a little more. I thought those were so cool back then! (I was easily amused, I guess!)

3. There is a minor problem with the rock or brick wallpaper and the plain siding. If you move the camera, there is a small but noticeable shimmering line between the two wallpapers. It does not matter whether I go back to Maxis panel siding or not. The only way to reduce it would be to build an overhang and put a CC window divider or column between the two. However, that looks bulky, I can't do it in one area without it looking really strange, and that column would be still another CC item. It is way too easy to expand that CC list. Other than using one wallpaper, which I think would look really boring, is there any other way to fix that shimmering? Or is this normal and most of you live with it? When you don't move the camera, it's fine. (EDIT ... I tried other brick and stone wallpapers. Same results.)

4. I might need some advice, please, on whether to upload two versions of Naftali: decorated or undecorated (which would cut down on the CC by at least a third to a half). I don't remember the uploader giving you that option, but I would have to look again. I might present TOR fully-decorated as is. If a downloader wants to cut down the price, there are lots of wall hangings and plants to get rid of, the swing set ... and one fountain. Getting rid of those alone would probably bring the price way down.

Needs Coffee
#24 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 11:50 PM
Grey works for me too.

Got another overhead of the 60's house? I really like that one. I agree about the gas vs charcoal BBQ.

1. My clinic/hospital has only an elevator (I know, I know I should rectify that somehow!) It has broken down I think a total of 3 times but none has ever fallen to even be hurt let alone die. I do think buildings are best to have stairs somehow even if it's just for emergencies.

2.Soap in fountain. Simply say the fountain is on a stage and not accessible. Lots of people actually prefer that. Those that don't like it can move it themselves. Remember nothing you offer is set is stone, people will change your lot no matter how long you took over it so don't agonize over details like that.

3. That is the game, it happens. Unless it's bugging the heck out of you leave it. Again people will do what they want you don't need to worry.

4. Always a good idea. If you can possibly keep your cc list below 20 we (moderators) do appreciate it, we have to check every link you use.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 3:16 AM Last edited by gazania : 28th Oct 2017 at 8:51 PM.
My Touch of Retro picture album, so to speak. I even consulted my household historian (my husband is just a little younger than I am, so he remembers decor of this time as well, and he has a far better memory than I do), and he can verify that the house passes well enough for an early 60s house (closer to 1963 - 1965). Is it perfect? No. But I feel the early 60s in this house.

This album also includes the two flaws I just can't fix effectively, including that shimmer. Yes, I can use a Maxis fence instead of a half-wall, but it won't work as well.

Page 1 of 2