Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Replies: 75 (Who?), Viewed: 3500 times.
Page 1 of 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:14 AM
Default I see a lot of people calling LGR an actual rewiewer. What are the other reviews like?
I saw this comment pop a LOT on his latest review so I was wondering what do the others do, and why are they doing it.

Bonus question : Are those other reviews the same as the kind of let's play videos they upload, or are the reviews and LP videos separate?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:27 AM
Other reviews are mostly from the Game Changers, who I wouldn’t trust for a millisecond since I’m order for them to stay in business for themselves and review the Sims (for more views, which leads to more ad revenues or donators), they need to gush about EA. Clint doesn’t care. Even when given review copies, he spent little time giving us an unbiased opinion.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:39 AM
What is a Game Changer?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:48 AM
I searched "sims 4 pets review" on youtube and saw LGR right on the tippity top in all his glory. Below that it isn't even a review but some 7 Fact video nonsense. Then 2 EA sponsored reviews, a few of LGR's older reviews, then randomly a Let's Play and back to more EA sponsored reviews. I'd love to know if anyone knows a non sponsor reviewer besides LGR for sims?

Quote:
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — internet and cats. 🎮 + 🐱 = 😇 Link To My Sims 3 Warrior Cat Setup
Test Subject
#5 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 8:28 AM
The only unbiased reviewer is LGR. The majority are game changers and are going to scream in excitement over all the wall decals while not mentioning anything negative.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 8:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbear
The only unbiased reviewer is LGR. The majority are game changers and are going to scream in excitement over all the wall decals while not mentioning anything negative.

that's why I trust more on user review, but at the same time I had to look behind the reason what's with the thumbs down, because sometimes bad user rating is caused by plain haters, not the actual game problem.
Scholar
#7 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 10:14 AM
I don't know a lot of "Sims Youtubers" but I believe people are referencing Youtubers who are working with EA. For example, Deligracy (I don't mean to bash her specifically, it's just that she's the only one I know of). Clint (LGR) has no affiliation with EA whatsoever so he just gives his honest opinion. Some other youtubers, on the other hand, will say great things about The Sims when it's not what they truly believe because EA is supporting them (I don't know exactly in what aspects but I'm guessing : inviting them to events, giving them games, fame...). You can kind of compare it to some beauty gurus who will praise a shitty product because the brand sent it to them/paid them.
Instructor
#8 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 10:37 AM
ppl likes call him that way because he's one of a few apparently who do not mistake word "review" with a "promotion".

Anyway - so, when the lootboxes come to Sims? Next obligatory update?

Fox-Lambert (A)RL
hiatus 'till the life run again in the normal-abnormal way
favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
dodgy builder
#9 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 11:25 AM
Besides that he's funny. That's a big part of it. People also likes to be entertained. If he wasn't entertaining he wouldn't be that big. He also reviews other games, so he's professional, he earns his money on the videos he make. It's really silly of EA not sending him a copy of the CaD exp. They don't like critisisme, because they got so much of it in the early days of Sims4, and people is so passiante of their Sims game, they get bashed a lot.

That silly looking big dog in his review is so funny
Field Researcher
#10 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 11:55 AM Last edited by DesereiPandemoni : 14th Nov 2017 at 1:27 PM.
Well he can be trusted to tell you what he likes and what he doesn't. So I'd guess that's why.

Personally I like Deligracey's overview of the items though, I mean it's not exactly a review but she did note that for a pet pack there isn't actually all that much pet stuff. Compared to normal stuff. Which I think is a helpful tip for people and one LGR didn't point out. At the same time I'm glad LGR pointed out that you can't even see the Cats and Dogs needs, skills and relationships like you could in Sims 2 which likely means a mod for controlling the Pets is an impossible dream. Which was a helpful piece of information for me one I hadn't really noticed in the let's plays and such.

Edit:

The problem with LGR though is that he really only reviews for people with his exact tastes. For anyone else it's kind of hard to get a good grasp on if the pack is for you even when he says something like "I don't like it but if you like this, this and this you might enjoy it" Mainly because he doesn't actually understand what people who go for such things actually enjoy. There have been times when he's said: If you like this you'll like this and it's turned out to be pretty terrible. Other times he's said something was outright awful like the Movie Stuff pack and I pretty much only use the Spooky Clothes from that Pack and the Outfits from Midnight Hollow for my Sims 3 sims.

I mean I can trust him to give me his honest opinion and he often points out negatives that others are afraid to focus on. But I've often found he's not THAT good at letting me know if something is worth it. Since what I consider worth it is vastly different from what he considers worth it.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:10 PM
LGR is fair and he doesn't let EA bribe him.
And yeah, he's funny too. I don't know if any of you guys watch him for his other stuff but I love everything he does. I mean, the guy owns enough crap to fill several museums with and his retro schtick makes for fascinating videos. He's definitely a YouTube "idol" of mine and his style of making videos is definitely a source of inspiration for the things I'm going to be doing myself.

By the way, is anyone interested in a "100 reasons The Sims 4 sucks" video or is that too...cheap?

Overlord of Plumbit, the subreddit for the serious Simmer.
We're constructive, creative and drama-free™.

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#12 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:20 PM
GameChanger is the new word for YibSim. In between they were called Influencers.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 2:59 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 14th Nov 2017 at 3:13 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glad971
What is a Game Changer?


They're YIBS. EA pays them off by paying for them to go to Redwood studios, they get game codes early, ect.... If you want sims kumbuya all the time, find a YIB. They fill your head with rainbows and unicorns. EA can do nothing wrong, TS4 is the best game ever, blah,blah,blah. Calling them a different name doesn't change what they do.

There is nothing real and or sincere about their reviews. It is false advertising. YIBS are around to peddle and sell the game as EA can't do it alone. EA also believes that those of us that have been playing sims since 2000 are stupid enough to believe anybody that shrieks because there is Barbie pink clothing in the game. Barbie pink anything doesn't fix bugs and problems. It isn't about quality, instead it is about quantity. TS4 is failing by both standards, but that is a whole other issue.

Clint AKA LGR is not a YIB. He tells it as he sees it. It is not about who plays the game 'better'. EA has been trying to con him into becoming a YIB for the past few years. Clint understands that if he were to do that, he would lose credibility, so he ignores the proverbial bait and goes about his business. I'm glad EA didn't give Clint a code for Cats and Dogs as they proved just how slimy and sleazy they are. Say anything bad about their game and you're out of the corrupt inner circle of EA.

Simblr <--- No drama, just pics.
There's no rest for the wicked
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 3:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glad971
What is a Game Changer?


Free marketing for EA. EA supplies them with early access in return for their guaranteed praise for anything that comes out of the studio. Sometimes they will get flown to EA headquarters, but that’s not super often. Rarely will they shine anything in a negative light, because they make money off the deal as well.

LGR isn’t a game changer, but he has received early acces copies in the past. Arguably the decision not to do so here just shows they have serious issues with the new pack and they want to make sure those issues get the least amount of coverage as possible.
Scholar
#15 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 3:40 PM
Popular streamers on Twitch absolutely get paid directly by the game studios to play their games. No reason to think it's any different here.


...it seemed to be a game about watching other people sitting around the house, on a computer. It just seemed so lame. - Rod Humble on his first impression of "The Sims".
Instructor
#16 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 4:54 PM
So YIBS are now called Game Changers? How did that become a thing? How are they changing the game? I have questions????????
Mad Poster
#17 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 6:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
They're YIBS. EA pays them off by paying for them to go to Redwood studios, they get game codes early, ect.... If you want sims kumbuya all the time, find a YIB. They fill your head with rainbows and unicorns. EA can do nothing wrong, TS4 is the best game ever, blah,blah,blah. Calling them a different name doesn't change what they do.

There is nothing real and or sincere about their reviews. It is false advertising. YIBS are around to peddle and sell the game as EA can't do it alone. EA also believes that those of us that have been playing sims since 2000 are stupid enough to believe anybody that shrieks because there is Barbie pink clothing in the game. Barbie pink anything doesn't fix bugs and problems. It isn't about quality, instead it is about quantity. TS4 is failing by both standards, but that is a whole other issue.

Clint AKA LGR is not a YIB. He tells it as he sees it. It is not about who plays the game 'better'. EA has been trying to con him into becoming a YIB for the past few years. Clint understands that if he were to do that, he would lose credibility, so he ignores the proverbial bait and goes about his business. I'm glad EA didn't give Clint a code for Cats and Dogs as they proved just how slimy and sleazy they are. Say anything bad about their game and you're out of the corrupt inner circle of EA.

I think you can see why I compare TS4 to the Trump presidency...

Overlord of Plumbit, the subreddit for the serious Simmer.
We're constructive, creative and drama-free™.

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 7:57 PM
I mean selective censureship on their forums an stupid guru comentary is enough to create such community.

Sims comunity (at least on the official forums) is no longer built buy the community itself. It is dictated by EA now, whic is... meh, I guess. We still have lots of other 'custom' communities. BUT...

You can see how this affected 'reviewing' audience. The Sims is a game which is hard to review, and since it's such a kind of game (tries to appease to everyone), it somewhat lost it's review effect, since EVERYBODY loves the sims... or everybody has loved it trough years (with some minor and just a few major disagreements) untill Sims 4 came and divided community in 3 parts, 2 of them most vocal.

So, we have very limited numbers of credible The Sims YT (or basically all other social media) reviewers, and a big scope of those selected by EA that cannot be called reviewers but 'promoters' like someone stated already, some of them indifferent to the state of the game, as long as it keeps their channel alive, lots of them glossing over the game like everything EA gives them is gold (Hey, I'd want free or cheaper stuff too).

Clint is ok guy, and I love him the most since he does literally just what a review shall do: Compare the price tag with content quality and shows you trough a 'review' of items/content what would be your own formed opinion of the product. And he's funny (not EA quirky funny) but actually funny and knows how to have fun even with TS4 games... so yeah. He's the best out there when it comes to old tech stuff and Sims reviews.
Instructor
#19 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 8:09 PM
I've been watching LGR for around 2-3 years, and I must say his reviews are relatively unbiased and well informed. You can tell that he is extremely knowledgeable about the content he reviews, and his play-throughs are hilarious. Other reviewers just seem really biased and incompetent, at least from what I've seen. In terms of reviewing TS4, many ignore or downsize it's flaws while praising it's attributes . LGR has worked hard for his views, and I'm happy that his channel has grown.

What's going on in your game group here: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdis...546&groupid=906
Check it out ;)
Mad Poster
#20 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 8:22 PM
I like threads like this because all I keep hearing is, "damn Pi, you need to hurry up with that YouTube channel of yours where you play good video games and bash The Sims 4 in new and creative ways (and possibly set all of your TS4 discs on fire if Plum wills it)".

Overlord of Plumbit, the subreddit for the serious Simmer.
We're constructive, creative and drama-free™.

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 8:52 PM
Bashing video games in new and creative ways I find utterly non-entertaining... so yeah. Constructive criticism, fair review and managing to give viewers some good entertainment value on such a boring/serious topic video is what I find great entertainment.

Simple bashing is just not enough... That's too easy and can be done by anyone
Mad Poster
#22 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 8:58 PM
Well I'll just stick to a high-effort, semi-scripted TV show-style TS3 let's play set in the 80s for now. The whole TS4 thing is priority #2 or #3.

Overlord of Plumbit, the subreddit for the serious Simmer.
We're constructive, creative and drama-free™.

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
#23 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 9:12 PM
Albeit long, I did find an other interviewer, at least what I picked from 25:00 timestamp (because it's damn long and to be honest overview/showcase than anything from what it appears), the simmer does give a few cons here and there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGxeQggWRlo

Apart from the review being too long, I do feel like I do need to address that there is a reviewer that knows how to make it pros&cons balanced review.
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 10:44 PM
I like LGR because he gives the most down-to-earth, realistic game reviews I've ever seen. His voice is calming but upbeat like a radio DJ. He's not obnoxiously loud, funny, Pollyannish, or unrealistically negative towards the games he review. He gives his authentic thoughts, points out pros and cons, and sprinkles in just the right amount of funny. I have respectfully disagreed with some of his reviews, but it was from different tastes, not inaccuracy.

You can tell he truly enjoys The Sims series and wants the best for it. YibSims (I refuse to call them "Game Changers") are in it for the money and prestige.

~* Childish, Eco-Friendly, Snob, Couch Potato, Inappropriate *~
Mad Poster
#25 Old 14th Nov 2017 at 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycowlover
YibSims (I refuse to call them "Game Changers") are in it for the money and prestige.

I don't see the point in giving them some sort of fancy made-up name at all. I call them what I call everyone I disagree with for good reasons; a bunch of morons. If I disagree with someone even though they have valid points, I won't call them a moron but I'll still think there's something wrong with them.

Though it should not go unmentioned that I call people morons even when I do agree with them. And if I have no opinion of them at all, it's probably because they're a butthead. Or a moron.

Overlord of Plumbit, the subreddit for the serious Simmer.
We're constructive, creative and drama-free™.

(Oh, and follow me on my Tumblr.)
Page 1 of 4
Back to top