Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2017 at 2:24 PM Last edited by DrWeir : 1st Dec 2017 at 5:25 PM.
Default [Solved] Use English names for townies
I'm playing TS4 in Norwegian and I feel that there's too little variation with the names given to townies/NPCs.
What I'd like is for the game to use English names when generating townies as I've heard there's way more names in the English name list compared to other languages.
I've already searched far and wide, and tried a few tools without success so I ultimately gave up on that. Outdated tools and tutorials is a problem including my lack of skills.

So I'd hope there is a kind soul here that could help me with this if possible.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 6:57 PM
I finally managed to make some progress and found the file with the sim names: S4_03B33DDF_00000000_784760DD00959DFA.xml
What I did then was to copy all the English female, male and last names into the same place where the Norwegian names is. (I didn't replaced the Norwegian ones, I paste the English names over them so I could have both)
After that I saved the xml file and used s4pe to save it in a package file. (file > new and then Resource > import > from file). I didn't change anything in the window that showed up next and just went a long and saved it in the mod folder.

Mods are enabled in-game and my mod file shows up in the mods list within the game, but sadly it doesn't seem to be working, at least in CAS when clicking the random name button.
What could I have done wrong?
Deceased
#3 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 8:51 PM
Never played with that myself, but taking a quick look at the XML there are several sections for each language - the main first section, and then several under SIM_NAME_TYPE_TO_LOCALE_NAMES. Make sure your names you are adding are in the first section, not after that as those next sections look to be associated with creating race dependent names (with pets thrown in as well).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 10:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by scumbumbo
Never played with that myself, but taking a quick look at the XML there are several sections for each language - the main first section, and then several under SIM_NAME_TYPE_TO_LOCALE_NAMES. Make sure your names you are adding are in the first section, not after that as those next sections look to be associated with creating race dependent names (with pets thrown in as well).

I've added the names under RANDOM_NAME_TUNING, the tenth <U> is the Norwegian one for me.

This is the edited code that I made: https://codeshare.io/2E6Reo
Deceased
#5 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 8:57 AM
Looked right to me, so did a bit of research -- this should help

http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...613#post4742613
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 7:02 PM
After a lot looking around, going through outdated links and tools I found out that sims 4 studio could be used to find and edit xml and data files.
I went to tools > extract tuning
I searched for sim_spawner, selected module/sims.sim_spawner and then clicked add to current package.

Then two files appeared in the list that showed up next. One of them is the same that I tried to edit before, "Tuning" and a new one, "Sim Data".

I added all the english names into the Norwegian part of both of these files and saved them as package.
Sadly, doing didn't didn't work, at least not in CAS. I don't know if this worked on random generated townies/NPCs, I guess I have no other choice than to wait and see.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 8:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrWeir
I added all the english names into the Norwegian part of both of these files and saved them as package.
Sadly, doing didn't didn't work, at least not in CAS. I don't know if this worked on random generated townies/NPCs, I guess I have no other choice than to wait and see.

CAS and townies use two different DATA resources, I found that out when I did the same modification for the Swedish version of the game a couple of years ago (after another discussion here at MTS).
0x784760DD00959DFA is for townies,
0x7036FF3703847744 is for CAS.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 9:28 PM Last edited by DrWeir : 19th Nov 2017 at 9:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by letrax
CAS and townies use two different DATA resources, I found that out when I did the same modification for the Swedish version of the game a couple of years ago (after another discussion here at MTS).
0x784760DD00959DFA is for townies,
0x7036FF3703847744 is for CAS.

I see. I guess I've done it correctly when it comes to townies? I'll look into the CAS right away.

EDIT: I got it working in CAS now, thank you for that info, it really helped. ^^
Now I just have to wait and see if the townie part works too.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 12:31 AM
I've the same question about this, I've been tried to do the same thing, but instead Norwegian, it's English names in Brazilian names, but no success, i'll try do what Letrax tell to do
(please, english in progress, let me know if I say something that don't make sense, thanks
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 4:41 PM
Good luck with that. ^^
Test Subject
#11 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 1:51 AM Last edited by LadyFu : 25th Nov 2017 at 3:24 AM.
I tried to update my personal names list package for Cats & Dogs.
I got the CAS-Parts to work but I've got problems with the townie names list.

Could anyone describe step by step what to do exactly? I've done so many namelist tutorials, tried with XML Extractor, Data Tool, s4pe and S4S but maybe the tutorials are outdated with CAts & Dogs release? I need some help, please. I think, I don't know how to get a correct tuning file to work.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work, at least a first test package. Praise this thread, it helped a lot
Now it's time to fullfill my list and test, test, test everything.

Let's have some fu(n)!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 6:02 PM
Glad you figured it out. Was very frustrating for me when I couldn't figure out what to do. :P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 5:25 PM
I traveled to Sixam and it seems all the aliens walking around actually got the names from the list I made, so it seems to all be working well!