Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 12:21 PM Last edited by Charity : 18th Nov 2017 at 3:00 AM.
Default Cat collar problem
Can anyone help me here? I'm working on a new collar for cats. As you can see in the pictures on smaller cats it looks fine, but on bigger or fluffier cats the bell gets squashed for some reason. The mesh is fine in Milkshape, so I'm confused.

Ignore the weird colours. Fixing the colour is my next job. XD
Screenshots
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Nov 2017 at 3:36 PM
Dim question first: did you clone the original mesh from an EAxis original?

BTW, I think this post really belongs in the modding forums. I can move it for you if you want or you might go and create a thread there.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 1:25 AM
I'm never sure where to stick posts in there, so if you could move it that'd be great, thanks. The original mesh is this one. http://blog.naver.com/sizz_tp/54200591 I just shrunk it and moved it lower.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 17th Nov 2017 at 5:49 PM
Hi @Charity - I moved the thread to the Bodyshop Meshing section - however, it seems I don't have the permissions in here to change anything so I can't change the thread title. Do you want to do that yourself (you should be able to edit your first post)? Hope you get some help with this.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 18th Nov 2017 at 5:02 AM
From what I've experimented with, pet accessories deform with the bone they are bound to.
This thread deals with the issue when it comes up with regular sim accessories, but I'm doubtful of whether the fix for pet ones would be the same.

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:52 PM
@Azelanne

I'm not very observant, because I totally failed to notice that you were Crisps and Kerosene before I asked you about pet collars on tumblr. XD The problem I'm still having is that I simply replaced the mesh of your flowercat collar to see if my mesh would even show up. Now I'm at the stage where I need it to be a separate mesh and I'm not sure how to get the game to recognise the mesh as a pet collar and I'm not sure how you linked the recolour to it. If you could help with that it'd be much appreciated, thanks.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 3:59 AM
For your package files, I recommend you use Deedee's instead of mine since she fixed an issue which made my collar unrecolourable.

To make your texture file, you can follow this tutorial: "How to Use Recolorable Pets Collars". For the mesh package, you only need to fix integrity and link it like you would a regular body mesh.

I'm http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com/ on tumblr, admittedly not very active on MTS.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 9:49 AM
Thanks! That looks helpful. Interesting that she got the stretching thing on cats with wide necks too. Maybe it isn't fixable.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 10:14 PM
I imagine it's something in the way the collar meshes are assigned or referred to that makes them deform along the body. Maybe that can be changed in the CRES or something, but yeah.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Nov 2017 at 1:49 PM
Well the buckle parts are working, but I have a flashing blue main collar. Not sure how I got that.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Nov 2017 at 7:28 AM
One more problem, which hopefully someone can help me with. My cat collar isn't moving with the cat when it changes position. Does anyone know how to fix that?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Nov 2017 at 7:44 AM
I still can't fix the not moving with the neck problem. I tried using the bone assignments from a collar that did work, but it didn't fix it. When I put on a collar I noticed that, unlike the Maxis collar, mine has the cat lowered down strangely.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13 Old 30th Nov 2017 at 3:04 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 2nd Dec 2017 at 12:26 AM.
If SimPE is correct, the collars are split between the "spine2", "neck0" and "Neck1", possibly with most of the weight on the neck joints. As for the comments, I'm not sure how they're set up for pets - but for human sims the line named "NumSkinWgts:" should be set to 3 if the mesh is assigned to more than one joint.

The safest is to keep it at 3 for whatever you're making. If it's at 1, only the assignment for the first joint will stick - and it is automatically set to 100, so the joint assignment doesn't blend at all.

And are you absolutely sure you've used the cat collar mesh? There's collars for both the cat and big/small dogs, so it's easy to pick the wrong one. They seem to have slightly different bone weights, and the height would obviously be different - there's fu (cat), lu (small dog), du (large dog), ku (kitten) and wu (puppy).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Dec 2017 at 4:14 AM
I double checked another collar and I did have it set to only one joint. So I set it to the same joints as the other collar and fixed the NumSkinWeights (which were on 1) and ... it still didn't work. DX It still sticks out from the cat's head when he sleeps.

Edit: Scratch that! I needed to take the collar off the cat and reapply it and now it's working! Thanks!!

Because I'm excited now have a picture too. XD
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#15 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 12:19 AM
Happy to help

The cache files save a "ghost-file" of CAS-related items for easier loading. If you've made changes to CAS meshes, recolors, morphs or anything else CAS-related, then you usually either have to delete the cache files, or re-apply the items to the sim (or in you case, the cat) before it works.

That's why I tend to delete the cache files before I play. They cause too much trouble...

By the way, that bow is adorable! Are you planning to upload it?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 2nd Dec 2017 at 2:01 AM
I did delete the cache files, but it looks like the bow just needed a reload. And yes, now that last hurdle has been cleared I have just finished taking all the pictures for uploading.