Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 2:25 AM
Default Unable to Change Terrain Sculpting Brush Shape in CAW
So, this might be a stupid question, but for some reason I can't change the terrain sculpting brush from a circle to a square.. it shows that there is a pull down menu, but it's grayed out so that clicking on it does nothing. I was under the impression that you could use a square when sculpting terrain because I thought I'd seen others do so. What did I miss?
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 8:44 AM
It seldom works. I'm not sure when it's suppose to work, but it's never available when it would be a nice thing to have.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 9:48 AM
In CAW you can change the brush shape for terrain painting (including non-routing "paint"). Terrain sculpting is not supposed to use a square brush, this only works on a lot, e.g. if you edit a lot in game or in the CAW town editor. It's how caw is set up, not something you would do wrong.
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 1:52 PM
If you want more angular shapes use the grid on. It helps when you want to sculpt in straight lines.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 19th Nov 2017 at 3:20 PM
I've also heard someone mention using masks. I've never tried it myself, but it might be worth it if you have a lot of angular shapes to paint.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 9:57 PM
Thanks everybody. I really thought I needed to tick a box or something and I was just being oblivious, lol.. But are masks a thing that you have to add to the program, or are they already there?
dodgy builder
#7 Old 20th Nov 2017 at 10:32 PM
I'm going to try to call for someone. @simsample
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 22nd Nov 2017 at 5:28 PM
By me it never worked as a square brush in edit terrain mode...

Tip: Click with a round brush on your left mouse button (Don't move your mouse) and use the arrow keys on your keyboard = you wil make a straight line! (press Shift first and the brush will move faster) & also works for long straight lines while painting terrain
Tip for a straight corner: use the tip above but instead of the surface you want to be straigt you apply it on the lower/higher terrain (you'll remove from the target surface in a straight line, cross those lines on the place you want to have a straight corner
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anno2015
By me it never worked as a square brush in edit terrain mode...

Tip: Click with a round brush on your left mouse button (Don't move your mouse) and use the arrow keys on your keyboard = you wil make a straight line! (press Shift first and the brush will move faster) & also works for long straight lines while painting terrain
Tip for a straight corner: use the tip above but instead of the surface you want to be straigt you apply it on the lower/higher terrain (you'll remove from the target surface in a straight line, cross those lines on the place you want to have a straight corner

Ohh, that's a really good idea. Thanks! c:
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Nov 2017 at 5:05 PM
Default Example - Harbour/Airport
Think this image shows a lot of examples to think of, it's a industrial/transportation zone (making a land of 9 combined large towns), You'll see I flattened the terrain, made the edges smooth where lands meet sea and then made artifical broad canals for a harbour... at the bottom you'll see an Airport zone with a smal straight canal surrounding it (and some landbrigdes). Also there are a lot of straight white lines (made with a square brush) the lost are 64x64 (to see the scale of the lines)

made with the techniques from the previous post (but opened Caw just now so thought: maybe a nice pic

p.s. using the arrow keys makes creating all things on a straight line easy (4 example roads, line of trees (or other deco)