Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Link Ninja
#26 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 11:48 PM
Wait, so what constitutes a 'pre-made'???

Sims that are playable that ship with the game? Only those existing in a pre-made hood? Townies and Bin sims are included or excluded as 'pre-mades'?

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Advertisement
Theorist
#27 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful

Sims that are playable that ship with the game? Only those existing in a pre-made hood? Townies and Bin sims are included or excluded as 'pre-mades'?

I would say bin sims count as premades. Not sure about Townies. And then there's a lot of variation. I like to use premades, but no the Townies that shipped with the games.
Instructor
#28 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 12:09 AM
Usually I play with a mix of Pleasantview and Strangetown, plus some more from other neighborhoods (couple of families from Bluewater, others from Pets and few from Belladonna... and the Tricou, of course). This time I'm just playing with Pleasantview with a rotation system and I'm liking it quite a lot, plus I've added two custom families just to have a bit more variety in the couples;
I thought that Lilith would look quite good with Dustin more then her sister; Angela, on the other side, had a great chemistry with a girl she brought from school, so I paired them. Dirk ended up with the daughter of one of the families I've created and so on.
I even got Darren Dreamer and Kaylynn Langerak together, and usually I pair him with Cassandra.
Forum Resident
#29 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 12:14 AM
I count any sims that I don't make myself and that exist at the time I create the 'hood or add a subhood as pre-made. These are sims who's character files were made before I started making and adding my own sims to the town. For some of my 'hoods that includes townies while in others I make the townies, too. I would also include sims in custom 'hoods as pre-made as they were made before I loaded the 'hood for the first time.
Top Secret Researcher
#30 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 2:17 AM
In addition to the sims in the maxis pre-made hoods I count bin sims, townies, and sims made by other simmers in a custom pre-made town like Widespot as pre-made sims personally. To me custom sims are just sims I make myself.

My Simblr
He/They
Field Researcher
#31 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 3:36 AM
I consider "premade" as anything that came with the game. And, yes, I do play them regularly unless I'm in a totally custom neighborhood.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful

I just counted the ones that Maxis created, either in the bin or the pre-made hoods (as it's an uberhood). If I included the ones from the fan-made subhoods, I think it's more like 4/5 of Oakbrook's population.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
Original Poster
#33 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 11:17 AM
i only play custom sims if they are in their own custom hood,i NEVER add them to pre existing hoods oh i voted on the poll

i count a premade as someone who isn't custom made but isn't a townie or NPC either.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Theorist
#34 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 12:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
No - 100% not. Custom all the way.

This.
I played with premades to discover the features of the game. I have more fun making my own sims and using custom hoods.
Alchemist
#36 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 7:46 PM
Pre-mades from Pleasantview, almost exclusively. I tend to go long, long periods without playing, so I like that I've known these sims for years and that their lives take different turns when I play at different times. I nearly always start with the Broke household. I'm also really fond of having passersby or service sims join the household I'm playing and bring new drama. I still meet new ones now and again that I've never seen before. If one seems interesting, I'll grab them and make them stay and get to know them. McKenzie Straight is new in my play right now. She was just a passerby who caught my eye with her incredible autonomous talent on violin. She's already been in 3 households, now, and had babies with two different men.
Mad Poster
#37 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 9:06 PM
It drives me nuts how CAS sims have no past. No preferences. No opinions. "You made me, I'm an adult, I'm going to roll buy a toilet, fridge, and shower. Then I'm going to roll straight up stuff from my aspiration. If you have me earn a skill point I'm going to want the associated hobby item, even if the only reason on earth for me to learn mechanics is to get a promotion and I really ought not want a toy bench." And it's always the same stuff. Sims born in game have opinions on that stuff when they reach adulthood "My one true hobby may be sports, but my entire family are musicians, and I spent my childhood plonking on the piano, I do not want a basketball hoop: I want a piano." The premades don't have as much, but they have some.

So I make a few of my own, especially for challenges, but mostly I play with premades. Because at least they have some personality to start with.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Top Secret Researcher
#38 Old 6th Jan 2018 at 10:31 PM
Before my Pleasantview borked I played premade but now almost exclusively custom Sims. I'll put my own Sims into a Maxis neighbourhood and ignore the premade. They might get involved as friends to mine but I don't care about them. Very occasionally one of my Sims will marry a townie.
Field Researcher
#39 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 2:53 AM Last edited by Annorah : 8th Jan 2018 at 5:17 AM.
Heck yeah. Yes. All the freaking time. Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville, all in one giant, chaotic megahood. Sometimes I give the characters makeovers, but mostly I keep them the way they are. I love them much. I do have one custom hood in which I have been working for the past two weeks, actually, but I prefer spending my free time (pun almost intended?) with pre-made hoods. Nevertheless, I always delete Belladona Cove, Desiderate Valley and... Riverblossom? Sorry if I am spelling those wrong, I tried to play them several times and got bored in less than half an hour. Also, sims in bins and Universities do not appeal to me, so yeah, I do not play ALL pre-mades, but I am seriously beginning to think I am kind of obsessed with Pleasantview and the other two. Is it alarming that I harbour countless massive crushes on some pre-made characters, for instance? Please, someone tell me I am not the only one.

Weirdness aside, those hoods are my childhood. And in my childhood, I made the stupid and unforgivable mistake of neglecting them. Guess I am making it up to my babies now? Cannot tell if the matter relates to nostalgia, but today, yes, I value and play this particular portion of pre-mades more often than not.

...As for townies, well, they have ceased to exist in my game a long, long time ago. In my custom hood, I have made a few of my own, but that is it. Go playables with background stories!

Save you, Kaylynn. You are an angel and I am thrilled to have you here!
Scholar
#40 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 4:11 PM
Seeing as I downloaded Tarlia's templates and created my own uberhood, hell yes I play premades! The Brokes were the first family I ever messed with, and my views on the Pleasants and the Caliente sisters might not be how Maxis intended, but it's a game and one plays the way they like to. My original hood has gone boom, so it won't ever be played again, but I've not fully deleted it as there are sims I want to save (clone) from there and play elsewhere.
I never really got anywhere with original Pleasantview as a hood, as at the time I didn't play in rotation, but the new version I do. However, having to makeover so many sims and find out at least their basic stories (aka my headcanon), it does take time... which IRL is something I don't have all that much of!
I have also played my own custom sims, and like them as well, but I'll always have a soft spot for Pleasantview...

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 8:15 PM
I play my megahood, which is all premade Sims. No CAS Sims at all! But I do also have a custom hood for when I don't feel like playing rotationally which is full of CAS Sims.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#42 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 10:45 PM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 7th Jan 2018 at 10:56 PM.
Yes I play pre-mades, including townies and Downtownies, but they have to coexist with my custom Sims. I only play them in the Maxis 'hoods (some are Tarlia's versions) they belong in. There are no pre-made Sims in my custom 'hoods. I don't do repeat play-throughs. I just keep on playing the existing 'hoods. Each Sim lives in one 'hood, and one hood only; and therefore has a life story which is definitive in my game for them.

How often do I play them? If I'm playing s custom 'hood not at all. (I like the Pleasantview townies well enough, but they live in Pleasantview. In my custom 'hoods the townies are made in CAS or generated by the game [usually with the Townie Tree].) In pre-made 'hoods, I play them whenever it's "their turn". All Sims in my game are full citizens, with their constitutional rights to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness guaranteed. Sims don't care whether other Sims are pre-made playables, CAS Sims or (ex-) townies, so why should I? Especially in Veronaville, which I've been playing on and off since I bought my game 5 years ago, lots of friendships between pre-mades and others have developed, and some have grown into romantic relationships. (For example Miranda Capp is in love with childlike CAS teen Gerry McBain.)

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 7:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
..... Sims don't care whether other Sims are pre-made playables, CAS Sims or (ex-) townies.....

Exactly. Well-said, @AndrewGloria I wish I thought of saying it first
Mad Poster
#44 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 4:21 PM
I'm not quite sure where Marka93's Beginning Hoods fit in, so I'm not sure how to classify what I'm playing right now (Marka followed the family trees of the pre-mades and went back in time to create the ancestors of the Sims played in the hoods that come with the game. The way I play them is to try to follow the Family trees to get to the pre-mades in the game, but most likely with different genetics since they were born in game. Random events usually occur to make the family trees not quite as faithful to the original (such as Simon Crumplebottom getting abducted by aliens, so Mortimer Goth's mother Cornelia has an older half alien half brother in my current Beginning of Plesantview Hood.)

I'm not to the level of having a crush, but I do have favorite pre-mades in Strangetown and Veronaville. I really like Pascal Curious, Mercutio Monty (I find he has an interesting personality when he's not near aspiration failure) and Hermia Capp.
Forum Resident
#45 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 4:26 PM
when I was a weeeeeee lass I almost always played the Pleasants so I can "fix" their family and make everyone in Pleasantview a-ok.
ah the innocence of childhood.

Now it's just more fun to have almost everyone fight everyone over...everyone =))
Mad Poster
#46 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 7:38 PM
When I first played Pleasantview I did that too. It quickly became the most boring neighborhood in the game. It's much more fun to play it as a soap opera like it was set up to be.
Mad Poster
#47 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 10:45 AM
I don't know about the innocence of childhood, as I was technically already an elder when I got the game, but I've always tried to play as a peacemaker. It may have to do with me not restarting 'hoods: I reckon that, like myself, my Sims only get one shot at this game we call "life", and that it's really up to me to help them to make the most of it. Now I've only played one rotation in Pleasantview so far, but when I get back to it, I expect to help to bring Angela and Lilith closer together. In choosing Dustin as her boyfriend, Angela has shown that she shares that instinctive sympathy for the underdog that many of us feel. I think Dustin will help her to see that her own sister is also an underdog, getting a raw deal from life. I'm not so sure about Daniel and Mary-Sue; at the moment, as far as the latter is concerned, ignorance is bliss. Not only did I ignore Mary-Sue's chance card to make sure she didn't get sacked and come home early (I didn't know it was a scripted event), but I even connived with Daniel and Kaylynn by using the SetHour cheat to give them longer undisturbed in bed together. When Mary-Sue did come home, he had woohoo with her too, and everyone was happy -- especially Daniel! The Pleasantview family I'm actually most concerned for is the Calientes: I dread to think what will happen there when Nina and Dina discover that Don has been having passionate affairs with both of them!

I think it also has to do with my self-image: I like to see myself as a bringer of peace and harmony, rather than a fomenter of discord. I suspect I also want my Sims to think well of me and to like me!

Quote: Originally posted by Orilon
I'm not to the level of having a crush, but I do have favorite pre-mades in Strangetown and Veronaville. I really like Pascal Curious, Mercutio Monty (I find he has an interesting personality when he's not near aspiration failure) and Hermia Capp.
I like Pascal well enough, but I'm not really a Strangetown person; much more a dyed-in-the-wool Veronavillian. I too strongly like Hermia Capp, who comes across to me as a really fun girl with a zany sense of humour. I like all three of the Capp teenage girls, but Hermia is really my favourite. However, and it's a bit of a surprise to me, loving Veronaville as much as I do, I've somehow never really connected with Mercutio Monty. I got off to a very bad start with Mercutio. The first time I met him was at Puck's party, and it was my very first time playing a pre-made playable lot. If you've played Veronaville, you'll be familiar with the situation -- Puck is having a party with most of the Veronaville playable teens there. He wants to kiss Hermia for the first time. So I told him to kiss her. As soon as he did so Mercutio turned round and hit her. To say I was shocked is an understatement. Male on female violence is totally unacceptable to me, and none of the CAS Sims I had been playing up to then had done anything like that, nor had any of the townies they interacted with. It certainly didn't endear Mercutio to me. Since then my game has largely passed him by. Which is surprising, since a lot of my game focuses on my teens, their lives and their loves. All the Veronaville townie teens and the Downtownie teens got involved in my game, and quite a few of them became playable. But Mercutio stayed a shadowy figure on the fringes of my game. He has only one best friend outside his immediate family. That friend is quiet and usually unassuming ex-townie teen Jihoon LeTourneau, who shares a little downtown house with Jamie Siddons. That friendship arose because Jihoon and the Monty boys all have jobs in the catering trade, and Jihoon has on various occasions brought both Romeo and Mercutio home from work with him. One reason why Mercutio has been comparatively neglected is that I have played the Monty Ranch less often than many other lots -- certainly less often than would be the case if I played more rigorous rotations. This was in large part because, when I checked him in SimPE, Patrizio Monty had only 1 day to live, and there's really quite a lot I'd like to do with him before he dies (a reconciliation with his one-time friend Consort for one thing). At first I tried to help him the vanilla way by getting him a RenuYu Senso Orb (or whatever it's called -- the aspiration reward that can add days to a Sim's current lifestage), but a good date with Isabella wasn't quite good enough -- they didn't get enough points. Eventually I gave up and used the Sim Manipulator. (I know that he shouldn't die with aging off, but one day felt too tight for comfort, and eventually I'll want to turn aging on to let Romeo and Mercutio grow older.) Another problem -- especially compared to the Capp teens -- is that Romeo and Mercutio go to the ordinary school and have jobs. I suppose that the Montys just aren't as rich as the Capps. I hardly ever let my teens take jobs -- the pay is low, and it means you hardly see them. But, if they have jobs already, I'm a bit reluctant to make them give them up, unless there's a really good reason to do so (like falling grades, or being needed at home for childcare). So, even when I'm playing their lot, Romeo and Mercutio are hardly at home during the week. Because of his relationship with Juliette, Romeo is frequently invited to Capp Manor, but nobody has any strong reason to invite Mercutio. Hermia wants nothing to do with him since he hit her. (And she's quite right too -- far too many females let violent men mess their lives up.)

Well I see that the Monty Ranch is due to be played soon in my very loose rotations. In theory I play one day rotations, but with aging off I can easily extend that, so I think I'll try to spend a bit of time at the Ranch. The boy is clearly troubled: he turns up occasionally at St. Simeon's Parish Church, and he even visited the Rectory once, where he knelt and prayed to God for forgiveness. So, when I play the Ranch, I'll try to spend some quality time with him, and see if he'll tell me what he really wants to do with his life. (Provided of course that it doesn't involve beating girls up because they have the temerity to let another boy kiss them!) And I'll ask the Rev. Elspeth Anderson (the parish priest) to give him some support too -- she's quite good with troubled teens. One dodge I use a bit now, to get more time with my Sims is to give them extra vacation days with the Sim Manipulator so they can take time off work without losing pay or getting into trouble. I think I'll do that for Mercutio. He could probably do with some love interest. The last time I played him I tried introducing him to some townie girls but he didn't seem interested. With time off work, I think I'll try taking him downtown to try again, and I'll maybe introduce him to Veronaville's vibrant gay scene too. Surely there's a special someone for him somewhere!

All told, I know a lot of people here find Mercutio an interesting character, and it's odd that he's never really found a place in my game.

On the more general topic of this thread, pre-mades (including townies) add much-needed variety to my game, as they are often quite different, both in appearance and character, to the Sims I create in CAS. In my custom 'hoods, game-generated townies serve much the same rĂ´le.

By the way I don't crush on my Sims. It's True Love! :lovestruc

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 3:03 PM
Always, and first.

I used to hate the townies with their exaggerated faces and weird personalities... but over the years I've gotten genuinely attached to them. I'm playing Brandi LeTourneau in Holling Mach VIIXXXVI ((< I'm kidding, but I restart my game due to accidents and ridiculousness all the time.)) In this incarnation, she's living in a civil partnership with Neil Cameron. Both are knowledge sims and neither feels like they really need to get married. They enjoy each others company and deep conversations, and Brandi recently gave birth to their daughter Elanna. She has her father's surname, but they'll hyphen it as soon as they're able. Sandy Bruty is a close friend of both, and lives with them. They live next door to one of my favourite custom sims Mallisa, and she's <not quite yet *cough*> married to Joe Carr in this version. They have twin daughters who should be pretty cute (Joe tends to breed well). I use a set of templates I made, and an extended set made by LivingDeadGirl I believe, and then I blend in the Maxis genetics for more interesting / realistic faces. I think Brandi's quite pretty with her cc makeover, and Neil is ruggedly handsome (same template as Komei. Looks AMAZING with a beard and some stubble). I also love the premade hoods and play those - in order - all the time. I like having existing sims and their backstories, and I don't like to make too many CAS sims. I prefer for personality and turn-ons and LTW and such to be randomized, either through birth in game or via autonomous townie creation.
Field Researcher
#49 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 6:34 PM
Now I've only played one rotation in Pleasantview so far, but when I get back to it, I expect to help to bring Angela and Lilith closer together. In choosing Dustin as her boyfriend, Angela has shown that she shares that instinctive sympathy for the underdog that many of us feel. I think Dustin will help her to see that her own sister is also an underdog, getting a raw deal from life. I'm not so sure about Daniel and Mary-Sue; at the moment, as far as the latter is concerned, ignorance is bliss. Not only did I ignore Mary-Sue's chance card to make sure she didn't get sacked and come home early (I didn't know it was a scripted event), but I even connived with Daniel and Kaylynn by using the SetHour cheat to give them longer undisturbed in bed together. When Mary-Sue did come home, he had woohoo with her too, and everyone was happy -- especially Daniel! The Pleasantview family I'm actually most concerned for is the Calientes: I dread to think what will happen there when Nina and Dina discover that Don has been having passionate affairs with both of them!
It's interesting you'd mention this because I'm going through Pleasantview for the second time myself. I just put Angela and Dustin together as adults and can say they actually make a good couple. But it took some work because Daniel never liked Dustin and that 'enemy' rating is difficult to overcome without cheats (so I didn't, I just made sure they saw each other as discreetly as possible until Angela was no longer subservient to her parents). Also the exact event you described with Don, Nina and Dina took place, on a community lot while playing a different family no less! (Dina was already married to someone else and now wants nothing to do with Don or Nina.)
I hardly ever let my teens take jobs -- the pay is low, and it means you hardly see them. But, if they have jobs already, I'm a bit reluctant to make them give them up, unless there's a really good reason to do so (like falling grades, or being needed at home for childcare).
Not only do the teen jobs mean the player barely interacts with teen sims other than sleeping and eating since they spend so much time with school and work, but unless the parents are unemployed or have a large house with expensive belongings and lots of bills, they really don't need the money either.

Well, that's probably enough of a thread hijack with things that could easily go into the 'what's happening in your game' thread. I guess it just proves that yes we do use premades and can have different gameplay experiences with them.
Field Researcher
#50 Old 9th Jan 2018 at 8:22 PM
I too strongly like Hermia Capp, who comes across to me as a really fun girl with a zany sense of humour. I like all three of the Capp teenage girls, but Hermia is really my favourite. However, and it's a bit of a surprise to me, loving Veronaville as much as I do, I've somehow never really connected with Mercutio Monty.

We appear to have a few things in common when it comes to Veronaville. I love all the characters there and also have a soft spot for the Capp girls, but for some reason I could not get attached in any way to Mercutio. For a vast number of different reasons than yours, of course. Actually, the only sim I kind of enjoy playing in the Monty Ranch is Romeo. It surprises myself, because I usually become fond of characters quite easily. Heck, I have even managed to somehow 'bond' with Consort, from all sims. Many people seem to dislike Consort, and so did I when I was seven years old. Nowadays, I see him as a completely flawed man and I love him, because to me, he is the living (virtually speaking, anyway) proof of not only a redemption opportunity, but also an eventual redemption achievement itself. 'Bad' people can reconsider their life and try to mend things despite being elders. Better late than never.

Anyhow, even though I do not particularly find Mercutio an interesting character, I do play him from time to time. Since I do not believe sims are neither evil nor heartless (save the Beakers and perhaps Dina for plot purposes only), I do not antagonise him. I always try not to antagonise anyone. I mention this because most of the times, this is the reason why people hate or dislike a specific character. But I have to admit to myself, I may try to be like the Summerdream family and be the neutral party, but in the end, and I am truly sorry for that, I miiiight lean a little bit towards the Capp side here for the mere reason that I like them more. In my case, it does not help Mercutio that he is the main rival of probably my favourite sim, with whom I identify deeply given the way I have chosen to see him. I mean, Tybalt, the 'outspoken but surly' guy who wants friends but is blinded by resentment and is so temperamental that he cannot even get along with his own family, that is something my twenty year old self can relate to a lot. And who in the game is just the opposite? Who is 'good-natured and warm, the joker of the family'? Mercutio. That said, I think my 'meh' attitude towards Mercutio is well-justified

Besides, violent competition is fun just for a while, and Hermia is definitely not for him, so I get bored with him quickly. What else can I do with him? Plenty of things, yeah, but what fits his character if not other than popularity and winning fights and some love? Thank God, I found a way to make of Miranda's unrequited crush and Mercutio's broken heart a couple of interesting events. I feel that after Puck and Hermia become official, all that is left for Mercutio is getting over Hermia, mend his friendship with Puck (to me, this one has to be the most entertaining situation so far) and... keep training to finally beat Tybalt? Mercutio never achieved the last one in my game, but he certainly moves on, and after a while, his personality does not allow him to end his friendship with Puck and Hermia in bad terms.

My point with this ball of... headcanons... if we can call these that, is that I play pre-mades because you can twist their stories in many ways, all while being loyal to their intended personalities. And again, that is why yes, I do play pre-mades. If I dislike one or get bored while playing, well then, I make an effort and try hard to find another road and make things more engrossing, something I have succeeded in via megahoods. There is always something to do. Perhaps I should give Desiderata Valley and the rest a sixth chance?

By the way I don't crush on my Sims. It's True Love! :lovestruc

You are right. I apologise. The word 'crush' is insignificant when I talk about my feelings for Nervous, Tybalt, Angela, Vidcund, Brandi, Darren, Goneril, and so the dang list goes on. Thought it was embarrassing to call it love, but there you go :lovestruc
Page 2 of 3