Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 1:14 PM
Quote:
is there a chance she might die? if so will plumbob keep be shut down?

Sadly there is a 50/50 chance she will not make it. That's why we're all so very anxious and on edge about this. This is a very dangerous condition, one that can turn lethal in a second. The doctors are doing their best to fight something they can't quite get hold of. The brain is the last unknown territory that medicine has attempted to treat. It's almost impossible to say yes or no to that question. Even the most skilled doctors in the world cannot guarantee success. They can only work with what they believe will help.
It doesn't matter really if PBK gets shut down-because one cannot measure a person's life against words on a screen, screenshots or downloads. If that's all one can be worried about there's a lot about life one should learn.

Quote:
Meaningless words mumbled in the dark aren't going to help this person. That's what medicine and doctors are for.

I'm personally close to an atheist-but that does not mean I can't at least believe that there might be something in belief that can impact someone else's life. I've been the beneficiary of something close to a miracle in my own life, and thus I can't state for sure that there isn't something to those "meaningless words mumbled in the dark."

Because I can almost state for a certainty that her own doctors are praying for a miracle themselves, while they fight an unseen enemy-death.

And that is the end of my personal input. I'm still hopeful for a miracle and praying for her recovery.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 1:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by adamsavagefan
Meaningless words mumbled in the dark aren't going to help this person. That's what medicine and doctors are for.

On the other hand, it does no harm either. It's not like they're using faith healing in lieu of proper medical treatment. I'm agnostic. 'tis all I'll say.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Test Subject
#28 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 2:46 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I've summarized the video that Sunni's husband Stas posted into a text post, for those not wishing to watch the conference with her doctor. You can read it and other updates on our update thread here.

Stas also wanted to make sure that their thanks were conveyed to everyone here for their thoughts and prayers:

Quote:
I just read the thread on the MTS, I'd appreciate if someone could convey our gratitude to people over there, especially Bubblebeam - Dr Naval has started the thermal therapy a few hours before his/her post <3
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#29 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 3:53 PM
I can't log on to that site anymore. Can someone summarize it for us?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Test Subject
#30 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 6:47 PM
My prayers go out to both Sunni and MLC. To rugrat0ne, I'm a doctor and wondering if the cooling process has helped with the inflammation. Hoping that her dysautonomia does not further complicate treatment. I would respond on Plumb Bob Keep, but can't register. Please keep us updated as we hope and pray for her successful recovery.
Inventor
#31 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 7:11 PM
Sorry it took me a bit to comment on here, I joined Plumbob Keep awhile back as a lurker, so I've mainly been following things over there when I haven't been buried at work.

Rugrat and Stas just updated the progress reports this morning.
Rugrat's:
"The main problem is Cerebral Veinous Sinus Thrombosis, a blood clot in one of the veins in Sunni's head. This has caused her to suffer, among other things, seizures and at least one stroke.

The blood clot is very thick, in a smaller vein, and too deep in her brain for surgery to be an option. The blood thinner she is on Heparin, is keeping the clot from getting any bigger, but it can't break down the existing clot at all.

As a result there is massive swelling in Sunni's brain, and even with 2 medications and saline infusions, all at much higher doses than normal, they cannot get it under control. There are two shunts in her skull to help relieve pressure by draining fluids, but they still need to get the pressure to go down in order for Sunni to even have a chance to wake up from her coma.

The seizures, at least, have been brought under control and are no longer an issue. She did suffer a hemorragic stroke on the right side of the brain, in the thalamus, so if she does wake up, she will still have to deal with the effects of that. Most likely she would be unable to move her left side, or at least have difficulty with it, among other possible issues.

The doctor said there is brain damage, from the stroke and other things, but it's impossible to tell how bad the damage may be right now. An MRI would give them a clearer idea, but she can't lay flat long enough to have one without causing the pressure in her brain to go through the roof.

At this point, they don't have any reasonable options that stand a chance of success, other than to stay the course with the medications she is on, and wait to see if there is any improvement in her condition. They'll discuss the situation again on Monday, and hope that the swelling has started to go down. So that's pretty much what we have to hope for, too. That, and that the blood clot somehow manages to break down on it's own, because it is not going anywhere right now."

Stas posted a few updates this morning about measures Dr. Naval (the lead doctor treating Sunni) has taken that sound both dire and promising:

"Dr. Naval went to introduce a drastic measure - to bring Sunni's body temperature down. A special medical personal device is used to keep her at 32C with wraps around her body. This method is known to be a help with cardiac problems. However there were no precedents of it having been used for the brain issues. You can't cool the head down directly. The logic is "cool down the body = cool down the brain." The swelling has to be brought down. However, the lower temperatues poses the risk causing a new bleeding in the brain. Desperate times, desperate measures. It also has brought her heart rate down, but she does have a strong and healthy heart, despite the chronic tachycardia, caused by her chronic disautonomia. This method seemed to have shown an effect, her pupils have reacted showing the pressure has gone down a bit.

We are also at danger of causing damage to her kidney with a steady and increasing amounts of salts and strong medications.

She still can't be brought to MRI study, because she can't be allowed to lay flat for 1.5 hours, she has to be kept in reclined position to help the draining of the swelling."

There were also two quick burbs from him saying that the catheters draining the fluid from her head were causing problems now, and seemed to have stopped draining, and they cannot put a 3rd in, luckily one of them is now working fine after having been flushed out, no info on the other though.

Phew, that took a long time to type (my stupid phone only tries to copy-paste when you DON'T want it too, never does when you actually NEED it too ). So, basicly, it's still pretty bad, but there's a very small pinprick of hope starting to shine through.

Also, ditto on ignoring the diagree and funny troll/trolls. Just remember that it's obvious that they aren't even reading what they're clicking on, giving how the disagrees and funnys are popping up within seconds after a post is made. Their dumbass method of trolling is all about doing it to see what people will say in response, they don't even realize what it is they've even clicked on.
Mad Poster
#32 Old 14th Jan 2018 at 7:43 PM Last edited by gazania : 15th Jan 2018 at 3:32 PM.

I am currently undergoing a very serious health issue; one that needs extensive and severe treatments. My doctor, onco staff, and other medical personnel have emphasized to me over and over again that a positive attitude, both by the patient and the patient's friends, family and acquaintances, is important to a patient's prognosis. It's not just what doctors and medicines can do. A strong, positive attitude is admittedly not a cure-all potion. It is one of many important factors, however; both for the patient and the patient's loved ones.

I have seen many patients defy doctors' expectations and live many years after a dire prognosis; in some cases, decades. I have seen patients simply give up for purely emotional reasons and despite having excellent doctors and doing well with medications, die shortly afterward.

The positive, strong, loving support from people around Sunni might be helping her in ways we don't quite comprehend, or at the very least, providing some sort of comfort for her family in this dark time. And that support can take different forms, including prayers and positive thoughts. Prayers and positive thoughts are not magical candies. Any deity or source of healing thoughts is not a Pez dispenser. Positive energy is much more than that.

Thank you for the updates.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#33 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 12:52 AM Last edited by Rosawyn : 15th Jan 2018 at 4:41 AM.

Her husband has asked for prayers. Most of us aren't doctors, but most of us can pray. If you don't want to, that's fine, but please don't use this woman's illness as a platform for spouting your "prayer is stupid" doctrine; it's rude and disrespectful to people who are hurting and scared, and it helps absolutely no one.

Edit: I didn't see that there was a second page before replying, and now I see that maxon has addressed this.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#34 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 1:18 AM
@Osanao26
Thank you. She starts chemo tomorrow, she was supposed to start last week but got sick. So.. *fingers crossed*

That said: this thread is about Sunni. Any thoughts about my sister-in-law are appreciated BUT that's neither here nor there. I really only said something to explain my uncharacteristic response to the disagreer.

Maxon already tried to get this thread away from religion and prayer. It didn't seem to help so let me try: I'm not a particularly religious person but I do pray even though I'm not sure if I believe there is a God. Why? Because I have had things happen in my life, at a time I needed them to happen, and have never found a way to explain any of it away. If there is no God then I must be an extremely lucky person or have one hell of a guardian angel. Beyond prayer, God and religion I am a strong believer in "what goes around comes around" as I've seen that in action more than once in my life.

So. This not particularly religious person has been, and will continue, to keep Sunni, Stas and all in her thoughts and prayers. It can't hurt, it just might help - AND it doesn't hurt me to do so no matter what/who I believe in.

Let this be the last warning about keeping the usefulness of prayer and any debate about it or God out of this thread. Believe what you want, nobody should deny you that: but keep it to yourself as it's out of place here and lends nothing to the purpose of this thread.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 3:15 AM
Emerald: "a chance she might die"..sounds like that's the prognosis. My prayers (and related Spirit stuff) go out to her family. Death does not scare me, only the manner of dying. I only hope she is not suffering; comas are so odd, people can be aware of a lot more than we (or doctors!) can understand. So I pray that, if it must BE, her passing is gentle, and her spirit live on in Joy.

PS: how stupid of the "disagreeable one" to deliberately poke at so many people in this dark place! You are just ASKING for BAD stuff!

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Inventor
#36 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 6:40 AM
Just a thought, but, what about people with tumblrs/simblrs?
Is there anyone out there who has one, who can maybe post something to help spread the word, maybe get some support for Sunni going on that community as well?
Test Subject
#37 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 3:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by anothereyjana
Just a thought, but, what about people with tumblrs/simblrs?
Is there anyone out there who has one, who can maybe post something to help spread the word, maybe get some support for Sunni going on that community as well?

The post about Sunni and her condition is now being reblogged and liked by various people on tumblr, so more people will know. I think veetiesims2 is the author of the original simblr post.
My thoughts go to Sunni and her family! I hope she will make it.

(As for the "problem" that one person has with praying - being from the most atheist country in Europe, I see no problem with that. The problem is with people who do not have much empathy, but feel entitled to criticize others who have it, just because they show it in certain way. Tolerance is the missing word here, I think.)
Test Subject
#38 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 4:51 PM
Default an update from Stas
Hi Everyone!

Wawa here. I'm one of the original members at the Keep and was helping out at the site as a Moderator etc. Stas has mentioned that some are having difficulty into registering to the site. Like another MTS member had done previously, I can post updates here if necessary to keep those having these difficulties stay up to date on Sunni's progress. So, this is the latest from Stas posted this morning, January 15th at 6:45am.

"A word to the MTS community: Thank you very very much for all your comments of support, wishes and prayers, it means a lot to us. I read them to Sunni regularly. I am not a religious person but we're in a dire situation and I believe that any form of positive energy sent out to support Sunni will empower the healing egregore.

I have already read out Tara's beautiful poem to Sunni, she'd be so touched! Thank you Tara!

As for the updates, it's more of the same from yesterday.
She's still being chilled out to 33C (91F). I have discussed the hypothermia therapy with Dr Naval. Boy, we're so lucky this guy is our doctor, he's so sharp. He has referred to several studies done in this field. Mostly for the heart issues. I understand 99% of what he says but my memory is not that great to quote him here, wish I had recorded him.

Since after she was started on the chilling, she was shivering initially, but then after receiving Magnesium drip she's better. The right catheter is still doing 0, the left one continues 2-3cc/h of the cerebral fluid :uhoh:

She is still off of the tube feeding, but she apparently had a normal BM earlier this morning, which is encouraging. Without the feed she'd have to be put on Dextrose drip soon. They are also giving her the Protonix preemptively, I'm glad.

Once or twice her cranial pressure has jumped again in the past 24h. Each time it was successfully countered with Mannitol and something called the "23%" (Sodium solution). This is all that we have in our main arsenal unfortunately. To quote Dr Naval, "there is no next step", we just have to hope that Heparin would do it's job on the thrombus before the pressure countermeasures cease being effective.

Even though she's in coma, she's still getting the Propofol, to keep the brain activity at the minimum, to help healing.

Her vitals look normal, BP is surprisingly normal 120/68; blood sugar is in nice the 130s. She receives lots of Potassium, for she needs even more of it now that she's chilled to keep on going.

A nurse is next to her 95% of the time. They check her pupils' reaction with a special electronic tool every 30 mins. In general I'm very impressed with the professionalism level of the staff, really good people.

As always, I'm massively grateful to everyone who expressed their love, support, wishes and prayers to Sunni and us. It is so amazing how many people she has touched with her creativity and kindness. Thank you guys!

Stay tuned"

Sunni and I did have a misunderstanding for awhile but I am glad we had it worked out again. She has been an important part of my life the last few years, whether we liked to agree on things or not. But that is what a friendship entitles, doesn't it? I have always and will always consider her a cherished friend in good and bad times. She is a woman worth knowing and I am glad I can think of her as a friend. She has affected many people that way. So, positive energies to the Universe are always Welcome I think. And hopefully, even though she can't articulate it, she understands the scope of love and respect she is receiving from people around the world. Stas is making sure she is aware of that. From this PBKer, Thank You all for your kind messages, love and support.

The Saucy Knave, Wawa (aka Walter)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#39 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 5:10 PM
Thanks for the update Wawa - fingers crossed.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Meet Me In My Next Life
#40 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 9:59 PM
Praying and call on God to look down on her and help to give her strength. I believe in the power of prays.
Screenshots

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Test Subject
#41 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 2:56 AM
Stas just posted a heart-breaking video of another conversation with Sunni's doctor. Decisions from the family are being requested by the doctor. Sunni's Mom mentioned that it is Stas' decision on how to proceed. My heart breaks for him, his parents and for Sunni. If you are able to access the Keep, this is the link to Stas' comment

http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...?p=95202#p95202
Test Subject
#42 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 3:15 AM
Hi, I'm DavinaOjeda. I'm on the mod team over at PBK. To echo FranH's response, please do not ask us about whether the forum is "going to shut down or not." Right now our top priority is Sunni and her wellbeing. Everyone on the moderation team cares very deeply for Sunni and is very upset about this. Also, please do not bring any debates about religion or prayer to PBK either.

Right now I do apologize that our registration is currently disabled. If there's anything you would like me to pass along to the thread on PBK, just let me know. But mind you, it's at my discretion.

With all of that being said, I wish Sunni a positive recovery. Though, I've already expressed that sentiment on PBK. Thanks to everyone on MTS for the support.
Mad Poster
#43 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 3:48 AM Last edited by gazania : 16th Jan 2018 at 4:00 AM.
I listened to the video.

I agree with the doctor re lengthy comas. My friend, who had a stroke, was in a coma last year for three weeks before he came around. He did sustain brain damage, but he is capable of walking, talking, reasoning, etc. His coordination (he can feed and care for himself, but cannot drive) and short-term memory have been severely affected, though, and the damage is permanent. But there are different complications here with Sunni that my friend did not have.

Such a hard decision to make. Such a hard, hard decision. I'm guessing the doctor is talking about a DNR. I will continue to pray for Sunni, Stas and her family.

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 3:57 AM Last edited by LadyAquanine73551 : 16th Jan 2018 at 9:49 AM.
I think I know what caused the clot. Sunni had several health issues before this all started.

We can't blame her diet, because her gluten sensitivity would force her to cut out a lot of unhealthy foods. Stas even said she didn't eat a lot of salt.

I chatted with someone else at the Smithy, and it's pretty clear that this clot did not come from her legs, as they were scanned and found not to have any thrombi in them. The person in the chat window suggested that the clot had formed in Sunni's sinuses and traveled into her brain, and it can happen to anyone at any age.

I'm not trying to be mean here, I looking at this from a scientific and medical viewpoint. I'm planning on becoming a nurse one day and might be involved with a patient similar to this.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 5:04 AM Last edited by LadyAquanine73551 : 16th Jan 2018 at 6:11 AM.
It's true, strokes can happen to even healthy people, and there are factors that can play a part that have nothing to do with diet or weight. Some people are more genetically prone to having their blood clot more, kind of the opposite of Hemophilia. I read about it in a TorStar book called "Blood, the River of Life." It's possible her blood coagulated a tiny bit more so than other people. Not enough to be a noticeable condition, but again, it's a moot point.
Scholar
#46 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 5:30 AM Last edited by Bubblebeam : 16th Jan 2018 at 5:58 AM.
I wasn't going to post this, assuming the doctor already knew about it, but my husband says it's not as commonly known. Again, if anyone can forward this directly to Stas or PBK, given that time is critical, please do.

To Stas, there is apparently a more extreme version of thermal therapy where body temperature is brought down much lower (20C instead of 32C) and heart stopped temporarily (the person would be clinically dead during this time). This can either shrink a clot or allow doctors access to one in places where it was too big or risky to before. On the off chance Sunni's doctor isn't aware of this, perhaps mention it?

Quote:
A BBC Two Horizon documentary on Dr Alam's research also highlights a similar technique already being used on heart patients at Yale New Haven Hospital in southern Connecticut.

Surgeons there cool their patient's heart and brain to around 20 degrees C before switching off life support machines to allow them to perform an operation for up to 60 minutes before the patient is gradually warmed back up and resuscitated.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#47 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 5:30 AM
@LadyAquanine73551

Please edit your posts to remove any mention of Sunni's health issues (as in your post above). That's pretty personal information and really shouldn't be talked about here - unless it's coming from Stas, her family or Sunni herself.

Thank you.

Everyone else: Please don't talk about other people's personal issues in this thread, unless you happen to have permission. A mention is fine imo - but a discussion about them is not.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 6:15 AM Last edited by LadyAquanine73551 : 16th Jan 2018 at 6:46 AM.
Never mind, my opinion doesn't matter.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#49 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 6:36 AM Last edited by justJones : 16th Jan 2018 at 7:07 AM.
@ladyAquanine73551, they would, that's what the videos are for, to explain what's going on and if I recall right, that's exactly the source you used to write it all down. Now I'm not saying it's not good to show any thoughts about her in any way but what we need in this thread alone is the thoughts (and if religious, prayers) for her family and her health issues.
I do see where the thoughts of writing this down are coming from, but it also seems to attract a lot of negativity, so the best thing you could do (and anyone else as well when it comes to the whole religious discussion) is to leave it be, and just concentrate on what the thread was actually meant for
Mad Poster
#50 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 7:39 AM Last edited by gazania : 17th Jan 2018 at 12:43 AM.
I deleted my post as well. Speculating on my part really isn't useful. My bad. Sorry. Private PMs would probably be more appropriate for such chat. NOT a public forum. But I don't think I'll go that route myself, at any rate.

EDIT ... Read the report today. As of 9:01 AM today:

Twice last night her heart rate went down from ~60s to 30. She was given Atropine both times. They are bringing her temperature up to 34C to help her heart.

They attempted to perform another cat scan, however they could not go through with it, because she was unable to lay flat long enough even for 10 min of the CT, because the oxygen saturation in her blood started rapidly dropping from 99 to 80%.

haven't seen the doctor yet.

The heart rate dropping was the one thing that no one wanted to see, including the doctor.

And having had a CT scan in November, I know they can take a whole lot longer than ten minutes. It probably would have taken several minutes just to prep her for that. The docs may want a contrast, and that would probably have to go in through an IV, which would take some time. In my case, they did some images with the contrast dye and some without. Also, there might be some reactions to the contrast dye. I nearly felt like vomiting at one point (Not everyone gets that reaction. I did. But it did mean stopping the scan for a few minutes until things stopped getting queasy.) Ten minutes MIGHT have been enough for an image or two, but that's about it. Not nearly enough. I hope that the doctor could glean something from an image or two, but that is probably not the case.

Locked thread
Page 2 of 4