Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 9:00 PM
Default Sims 3 Beta
anyone know what sims 3 beta was like? was it like sims 2 beta where everything looked a bit like the game before? or what?

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 9:17 PM
This is a pre-release image:
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 9:24 PM
it looks like a mobile game,sunset valley is way less detailed

My Tumblr
Instructor
#4 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 9:47 PM
Huh...That image honestly reminds me of the TS4 neighborhood overview, just with more detail.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 10:57 PM
Scholar
#6 Old 15th Jan 2018 at 11:39 PM
I remember freaking out about the quality of the lighting in that last image. I mean, look at the way those shadows match the windows perfectly!

And then of course the actual game came out and looked nothing like that and it felt so bland and I gave up on it within a week and went back to TS2 for a few more years. By the time I gave it another try I think all the TS3 EPs were out? Anyway, the second time it grabbed hold of me better, clearly, and now I've racked up literally thousands of hours on it, according to Origin. But yeah, that image just gave me some serious flashbacks to that excitement.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Mad Poster
#7 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 12:02 AM
I wasn't exactly happy with TS3 either, come launch day. I'm glad I did get into it well before you did, though. Honestly I wish I hadn't stopped paying attention to The Sims for as long as I did because between Apartment Life and I guess Showtime, I kind of missed out on all of it. And now that TS3 is no longer the new and exciting Sims game that has all the packs coming out for it, I feel I really missed out. I always got so excited over these new packs. I'd even watch the cringey dev streams with Graham and Ryan or whatever the bald guy was called.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 4:43 PM
the last image looks like sims 2...a lot

My Tumblr
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 6:04 PM

I remember being really excited by that last picture- imagine, being able to make your furniture match your clothes!!!!111OMG!

Of course, now it takes me about four hours to decide what pattern to make the shower curtain... I was almost relieved when Sims 4 just had swatches like Sims 2!
Mad Poster
#11 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 6:25 PM
I've refused to commit to any other Sims game ever since I got the hang of CASt. I've made up my mind, no Sims game that does not have CASt can possibly top TS3. A few times a year, I will put a few hours into TS1, 2 and 4, but I won't play them for any longer than that.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#12 Old 16th Jan 2018 at 7:00 PM
Agreed, I will happily skip Sims 5, 6 and 7 if they don't have an open world and CASt. EA are the ones who raised the bar themselves with Ts3 and if they cannot at least match that standard in the future, then I will be staying firmly in the past.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 2:02 AM
There was a producer's video which showed some UI changes:

Don't recall there being any major conceptual changes though.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 5:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
A couple more-

Omg that lighting. I want it I need it. I can't unsee it now... I wish the game actually looked that good.
Instructor
#16 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 6:24 AM
It's funny how those houses and Sims all looked detailed and intricately Cas'd. Then they made the real game and EA gave us all blank rooms and beige sims 😂

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Field Researcher
#18 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
A couple more-

Yeah, I'm still salty about that pic. It also reminds me of promo TS2 photos, I remember they having a pic very similar. plus the one with a lightning striking a hot tub and the house with the new type of stairs that was really impressive to me at the time. Those were the days.
Alchemist
#19 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 1:49 PM
The image with the sofa is computer generated, right? It looks like a preview in a design program or something. I'm seriously jealous at the lighting on the couch and table
And just look at all the objects that never made it into the game: the bench from the park and the deco books on the coffee table, to name two.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 1:59 PM Last edited by simsample : 17th Jan 2018 at 2:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MeowMixPls
Yeah, I'm still salty about that pic. It also reminds me of promo TS2 photos, I remember they having a pic very similar. plus the one with a lightning striking a hot tub and the house with the new type of stairs that was really impressive to me at the time. Those were the days.

Ah, yesss...

Look at that house, look at it! You can't build that in Sims 4.

I'm sure that the interior Sims 3 pic is a render; none of the other in-game images look that clear and bright. The CASt textures always tended to look a little muddy to me.

ETA:
@MeowMixPls
I remembered these TS2 promos too, so TS3 wasn't the only one that got us excited by showing renders!
Field Researcher
#21 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 2:32 PM
@simsample love love love!! You got the pics!! I was trying to google them. I'd love to see them all again, especially the fireplace pic.

That last pic, the curved counter. Straight out TS1, but with much nicer colors. Loving this nostalgia!

Im saving these pics on my computer.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 17th Jan 2018 at 3:38 PM
The lighting in those two large pics is actually quite similar to TS1's, I found. You can tell there's a sort of gradient on everything, a linear dropoff of light strength the farther you go away from each light source. So I assume the lighting model they were using at that point was still quite similar to the one used on TS1's 3d models. Only now, of course, extended to everything.

I'm always a bit envious of pre-rendered lighting as compared to live lighting models. Renders, in comparison, always look so smooth and cuddly whereas images generated on the fly often look sharp and nasty, even in some recent titles. I suppose TS4 does an alright job at it, but the tradeoff is that the entire game looks like a blurry, featureless hunk of Jell-O bullshit.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 18th Jan 2018 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
...and if they cannot at least match that standard in the future, then I will be staying firmly in the past.

TS3 is still part of the present.
But I agree that someday if the past is where such capabilities must be found, then yes, I'll be there with you.
Page 1 of 4