Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 11:09 PM
Default New Contest-Wanderlust!
Hey guys, we have a new Sims 2 contest up! It's a holiday/vacation building contest being run by gdayars, go check it out. http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...7&goto=lastpost

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 11:30 PM
*heavily considers joining another building contest*

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#3 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:02 AM
I forgot to put in, no application necessary for contestants, so please, if you tried to find them (the application rules), and couldn't go check out the application description now. it should clarify things!
Forum Resident
#4 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:04 AM
//this one I will join for sure//

I build small houses *^*
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:32 AM
I have some questions for the contest but I'll ask in the thread when you have your contestants assembled.

I have been thinking ....

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 3:11 AM
Very cool contest, gdayars! Nice to see another one up after all this time.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 4:02 AM
Mad Poster
#8 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 5:44 AM Last edited by gazania : 3rd Feb 2018 at 9:50 AM.
Crap, I would love to play. For a second, I even wondered if I wanted to be a masochist and actually TRY making a hotel again that is Freezy-approved.

But unfortunately, there is no way whatsoever I can guarantee that I can do every round at this point. There are some circumstances at hand that might limit things. (For one thing, I'm scheduled for major surgery on the 14th, and I'm not so sure how much of a hurtin' cowgirl I'll be afterward. Recovery time can be up to six weeks, and I'm getting different accounts from those who have had this done just how much under the weather I'll be; ranging from "it's not too bad after the first week, and you can generally function OK" to "you'll be crawling and whimpering for sweet mercy from your agony for weeks".) It would stink if I commit, only to have to drop out.

If I can play-along, that would be great. If you don't have play-alongs, that will be great, too. I look forward to seeing everyone'e entries, and will be playing in spirit, if not as a play-along.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#9 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 6:08 AM
Forum Resident
#10 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 6:52 AM
ooooohhhh ---- *has been making a vacation hood all this time*
Forum Resident
#11 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 6:59 AM
If I had the time, I'd love to. Darn real life. I recently started rehabbing my vacation hoods, so I have these types of lots on the brain.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 7:05 AM
I'll just play along then.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 9:50 AM
I'm pondering whether I should join or not. From one side it could help me improving, on the other side? I might not be able to keep up with life in the way.

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 12:39 PM
I'm crap at building. But I want to play along. How do I do that?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#15 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I'm crap at building. But I want to play along. How do I do that?

I think just come along and post your pictures in the thread and chat while you're there.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#16 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 8:04 PM
I have the playalong table up now, so if you definitely just want to play along, just go over to the thread and say so
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 8:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I think just come along and post your pictures in the thread and chat while you're there.

Indeed, it's a good idea. I was thinking about it, while not officially taking part in it I may still joinby proxy and do the same, and maybe upload the lots in some other place.

Slowly moving steps into basic TS2 modding.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#18 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 8:51 PM
Well if you want to play along, I can add you to the playalong thread.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2018 at 11:31 PM
Ah, I don't have Voyager so can't join this one. Will look on with interest though.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yavannatw
Ah, I don't have Voyager so can't join this one. Will look on with interest though.

I'm pretty sure BV is not required - they don't have to be lots for the Bon Voyage destinations. Correct me if I'm wrong here @gdayars

Mad Poster
#21 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:10 AM Last edited by gazania : 4th Feb 2018 at 3:02 AM. Reason: What IS it about that 79?
According to the rules, you can make a vacation home. So those without BV can join as well.

I would think it wouldn't have to be in a vacation hood ... just the house. I've put a few ordinary houses in my vacation hoods without incident. It's not quite like Uni where putting a main-hood building on campus is a problem if you want to convert it into a dorm. (And even if you did that ... I did! ... you would just miss the popups for exams, professors, classes, etc. My students could walk to Uni just fine. Even in a worst-case scenario, your main-hood house can have some slight problems in a vacation hood, but I've never noticed them. MAYBE a couple of pop-ups dropped out, but I've played these houses in vacation hoods for years without incident.)

If you choose to make a hotel that someone COULD use in a BV hood, here are a few pointers:

1. Leave plenty of room for a large desk and for everyone to walk around without impediment of any sort. A bellhop will be behind the desk, and the housekeeper (whom I have affectionately named "Freezy" because one routing error, and the NPC will just stand in one spot and you won't be able to play it for the rest of the trip), will be standing on one side.

Personally, I like double staircases if it's a two-story, or at least a second way to get upstairs, but that might be overkill. Freezy and I haven't seen eye-to-eye way too often.

2. Two two-tile doors (or two single-tile doors near each other) ... one going in, one going out.

3. A bit of Sim catnip. The vending machines or games are a cheap and easy lure for traveling NPCs.

4. Room for Freezy to navigate in a room. I find that sometimes, single-tile paths make Freezy freeze. At least two tiles between the bed and the TV, for instance, easy access through a door, etc. You can use a deco TV if you have a space issue. Your Sim can't use it either, but in a cheap motel, let's just say it's busted! A table with at least two chairs if you imagine the place would get room service, though I found out through Box Motel that you don't need that.

If any newbies to hotels need an example of a plain, but workable hotel that I've used in both BV AND main hoods (Yes, if you have BV, you can put a hotel in a main hood, with some restrictions), I can provide one. No ... NOT The Box Motel. I mean one I took more than ten minutes to make! I've used it for years. Nothing fancy, but it has worked fine for years, and is Freezy-approved. I'm sure you all will build much, much better places!

P.S. Joandsarah77 made a really nice low-budget motel that as far as I can see, would be fully Freezy-approved here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=587062

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#22 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:36 AM
No Bon Voyage isn't required. I used their destinations, but vacation homes just have to be culturally/geographically appropriate for your chosen destination. I even chose desert for example, because there are things suitable for a desert locale in base game, due to Strangetown. I made it custom content friendly so base game COULD compete.

That said, I gave @Sparklypotato the last slot, (unless someone drops out before the first round is judged) other than the two who have to come back and fix their applications, but there are play along slots left
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 1:19 AM
@yavannatw @MystAngeland @Voeille @Sweet Mystre or anyone else, we still need a third judge. If you can build and decorate we could do with your help. We do have an emergency judge who can step in but another hand on deck would be great. Light hands and all that.

It's also perfectly fine to say no but I thought it can't hurt to ask. if you are interested (you do not have to be one of those names I grabbed only I remember you guys from my contest) if you can apply on the contest thread, either with a few pictures of something you built and decorated or a link to a lot you uploaded.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 1:46 AM
Yes, great pick!

~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#25 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 2:39 AM
Gummi has agreed to judge. She has been out and didn't realize the contest had started. She had agreed to before, but things have been interesting. She will be on later to do her official application However if anyone else comes along, we can always have more emergency judges... Nothing like not having to do it myself :P
Page 1 of 4