Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Erratic Trait Back To Insane

by Rory_Nutt123 Posted 15th May 2018 at 12:56 AM - Updated 5th Jun 2018 at 1:58 PM by Rory_Nutt123

35 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 18 Feedback Posts, 16 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#2 Old 15th May 2018 at 2:34 AM
Thank you so much i was trying to find one everywhere
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 15th May 2018 at 2:40 AM
They actually changed just the name because it support the stigma around mental illness. I suggest you read the Kotaku article abouth that.

abouth the change https://kotaku.com/the-sims-develop...sane-1825469692
and
abouth the trait and why it is a bad name https://kotaku.com/the-sims-insane-...ucks-1823590379

The mod is not bad by the way, i'm just passing by to explain the change that was made
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#4 Old 15th May 2018 at 5:33 AM
I'm grateful you changed it back. The change seemed very unnecessary, especially after a span of three years.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#5 Old 15th May 2018 at 6:26 AM Last edited by HugeLunatic : 17th May 2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: better?
Also, thank you for doing this. It'll be a cold day in hell when I call my sims 'erratic'.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th May 2018 at 8:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by minimouette
They actually changed just the name because it support the stigma around mental illness. I suggest you read the Kotaku article abouth that.

and
abouth the trait and why it is a bad name https://kotaku.com/the-sims-insane-...ucks-1823590379

The mod is not bad by the way, i'm just passing by to explain the change that was made

Thanks for sharing, thats good to know!
Field Researcher
#7 Old 15th May 2018 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by minimouette

and

because of people overthinking such ridicule details we gets lame content into game cuz everything is offensive, maybe some people should play barbie dolls not sims lmao I think mod is awesome I still cannot believe we need mod to have things normal in game
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 15th May 2018 at 1:33 PM
This mod was approved by a moderator

If you don't like it, move along. Anything more than constructive feedback or thanks will be deleted and the posters will be given warnings. Please follow the site rules and report any posts that do not meet the two requirements I just mentioned.

Insane is not a definitive medical diagnosis, there are far, far more factors involved in mental illness and diagnosing it.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#9 Old 15th May 2018 at 3:15 PM
Thank you! I've been looking for this since the change was made. "Erratic" just doesn't fit quite Jacques Villareal like "Insane" does.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#10 Old 15th May 2018 at 5:02 PM
Thank you for this mod, I didn't realize they changed it and thought that I was going *ahem* insane myself.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#11 Old 15th May 2018 at 5:27 PM
I will be honest I am Mentally ill was not upset by the trait being called insane I was annoyed when a trait I use often enough got changed though it was perfect then & now it is perfect again THANK YOU!
Instructor
THANKS POST
#12 Old 15th May 2018 at 5:54 PM
I am so glad you did this, I was planning to do it myself later! It's been the Insane trait for at least Sims 2, and Sims 3, And SHOULD remain as the Insane Trait for Sims 4 and beyond!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#13 Old 15th May 2018 at 6:51 PM
I don't find it offensive - insane, crazy, bonkers, (whatever else you wish to call it)! People today just need to grow a backbone! Y'all complain everytime you scrape your knees! I grew up in a time where you just dusted yourself off and dealt with it! Also, before you say something - I, myself, went to a children's behavioral hospital when I was young (about 30 years ago). So, I KNOW what "insane" is like - also, remember that I wasn't the only person in this hospital! Though I won't talk/mention other patients out of respect for them and their families.

Fact is Sims4 is ONLY a game! It is NOT an educational program NOR is it a diagnosis tool! The "Insane" trait was NOT meant to diagnose the person playing, NOR was it meant to offend anyone in any way! The truth is that insane people ARE unpredictable. It can be something in the environment - a sight, a sound, a smell - that sets them off! They can be cool as a cucumber one moment, then - BAM - all out tantrum!

While it's true we don't have therapists (for insane Sims to talk to), we don't even have fire fighters to help put out kitchen fires! There's alot that this game is missing - why I come to MTS all the time!

@Rory_Nutt123
Thank you for bringing back the "Insane" trait It's a shame we can't just enjoy our Sims without worrying about offending someone!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#14 Old 15th May 2018 at 6:53 PM
Thank you!
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th May 2018 at 4:03 AM
i tried to use this mod, but an error message came up when i tried to start my game. does anyone know why that happened? thank you for this mod as well Rory, i don't like the Erratic name change. i'm just way too used to it being called Insane to accept the name change. this mod is awesome
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 16th May 2018 at 9:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Fire
i tried to use this mod, but an error message came up when i tried to start my game. does anyone know why that happened? thank you for this mod as well Rory, i don't like the Erratic name change. i'm just way too used to it being called Insane to accept the name change. this mod is awesome
Thanks heaps for your feedback, do you play with other mods? they could possibly be causing the error, besides that, is the mod working for you?
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#17 Old 16th May 2018 at 11:46 PM
This mod and the original trait name are NOT offensive. Insanity and Mental Illness are NOT the same thing. Mental illness covers a broad range of conditions including forms of anxiety and depression which we can all agree don't make someone crazy. Insanity refers to more severe conditions like schizophrenia. I don't know why people don't understand this difference, but it seems to be the cause of a lot of the offense in these situations.
As for making light of insanity, well the game makes light of a lot of things of a serious nature including death, so I don't see the problem there. And quite frankly it is making light of it simply by having the trait regardless of what it is called. We all know what the trait is supposed to be.

Furthermore, Erratic really does not describe a trait which involves having full on conversations with yourself, barking and hissing randomly, and having random gibberish moodlets. That is something more than being erratic. Sorry. I would have accepted a change to eccentric as being more appropriate, but they didn't use sense when they caved and changed a trait name that has been fine throughout the history of sims.

In short, thank you for this mod!
Test Subject
#18 Old 17th May 2018 at 2:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rory_Nutt123
Thanks heaps for your feedback, do you play with other mods? they could possibly be causing the error, besides that, is the mod working for you?

yeah, i play with other mods. i couldn't even open the game cause my computer gave me an error message so i couldn't even open the game :'( so i'm not sure if the mod works with my game. i wonder if it's only me having the problem? also, how would i figure out which mod is conflicting with yours? i never had to do that, so i'm not very good with this type of thing XD lol
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 17th May 2018 at 10:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Fire
yeah, i play with other mods. i couldn't even open the game cause my computer gave me an error message so i couldn't even open the game :'( so i'm not sure if the mod works with my game. i wonder if it's only me having the problem? also, how would i figure out which mod is conflicting with yours? i never had to do that, so i'm not very good with this type of thing XD lol
I tried to send you a PM on MTS, do you ave another way of contact? discord or simmilar, then we can discuss these problems
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th May 2018 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by _xKindredxSoulsx_
This mod and the original trait name are NOT offensive. Insanity and Mental Illness are NOT the same thing. Mental illness covers a broad range of conditions including forms of anxiety and depression which we can all agree don't make someone crazy. Insanity refers to more severe conditions like schizophrenia. I don't know why people don't understand this difference, but it seems to be the cause of a lot of the offense in these situations.
As for making light of insanity, well the game makes light of a lot of things of a serious nature including death, so I don't see the problem there. And quite frankly it is making light of it simply by having the trait regardless of what it is called. We all know what the trait is supposed to be.

Furthermore, Erratic really does not describe a trait which involves having full on conversations with yourself, barking and hissing randomly, and having random gibberish moodlets. That is something more than being erratic. Sorry. I would have accepted a change to eccentric as being more appropriate, but they didn't use sense when they caved and changed a trait name that has been fine throughout the history of sims.

In short, thank you for this mod!

Um no, anxiety for example can be classed as insanity. Any mental illness that severely affects your life can be classed as insanity. Nothing wrong with being crazy though. Health issue like any other. I do not see it as offensive. Sims get sick in the game, I do not see anyone complaining about that. Same thing. Health issues.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#21 Old 19th May 2018 at 9:24 AM
Thank you @Rory_Nutt123! This is awesome!!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 22nd May 2018 at 9:25 AM
Thank you so much for this. I can't believe they changed it to erratic. I find being called erratic is very degrading, whereas being called insane is more humorous to me. As someone with severe mental illness, I applaud you for giving me back the choice.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#23 Old 23rd May 2018 at 11:04 PM
Thank you so much for making this mod! I couldn't help rolling my eyes and thinking of how pc enthusiasts take the fun out of everything every time I looked at the trait's new name. And I'm saying this as a mentally ill person.
Besides, calling people who talk to imaginary stuff and have random mood swings simply "erratic" is pretty much downplaying the problem. That's what my parents used to do until my problems got really serious...
So boo-hoo, I could be offended too! ;P

Anyway, thanks for creating this mod again!
Test Subject
#24 Old 28th May 2018 at 1:41 AM Last edited by PeachRenard : 28th May 2018 at 10:42 PM.
I am unable to load the game with this. An error message pops up, and it doesn't let the game start. Thank you very much for this mod though. I actually find it being called "erratic" triggering (if anything), insane never bothered me.

Update: This is really weird, but I had to uninstall the mod for my game to work so assumed that I had no way of using it. Yet when I went into Create a Sim today it was labeled as 'Insane' despite the mod being uninstalled. I'm glad it's back to it's old name, but this is a little weird. Did I miss something?
Test Subject
#25 Old 31st May 2018 at 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 5782341b77vl
I don't find it offensive - insane, crazy, bonkers, (whatever else you wish to call it)! People today just need to grow a backbone! Y'all complain everytime you scrape your knees! I grew up in a time where you just dusted yourself off and dealt with it! Also, before you say something - I, myself, went to a children's behavioral hospital when I was young (about 30 years ago). So, I KNOW what "insane" is like - also, remember that I wasn't the only person in this hospital! Though I won't talk/mention other patients out of respect for them and their families.

Fact is Sims4 is ONLY a game! It is NOT an educational program NOR is it a diagnosis tool! The "Insane" trait was NOT meant to diagnose the person playing, NOR was it meant to offend anyone in any way! The truth is that insane people ARE unpredictable. It can be something in the environment - a sight, a sound, a smell - that sets them off! They can be cool as a cucumber one moment, then - BAM - all out tantrum!

While it's true we don't have therapists (for insane Sims to talk to), we don't even have fire fighters to help put out kitchen fires! There's alot that this game is missing - why I come to MTS all the time!

@Rory_Nutt123
Thank you for bringing back the "Insane" trait It's a shame we can't just enjoy our Sims without worrying about offending someone!

Cool story. You say people today need to grow a backbone, I say people of yesterday need to realize their opinions are just that (and stop being so easily threatened - omg, change! different perspectives! scary!).
Page 1 of 2