Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

New Creator Theme: Elders! - posted on 1st Sep 2018 at 11:43 AM
Replies: 109 (Who?), Viewed: 7204 times.
Page 3 of 5
Top Secret Researcher
#51 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
All of the paradox games are too casual? Do they not know what a strategy game is?


Yeah, that's why I couldn't stop laughing.
Theorist
#52 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:11 PM
Holidays traditions in Sims 4 Seasons are reskinned party goals, can't believe I just realized this now.
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
Holidays traditions in Sims 4 Seasons are reskinned party goals, can't believe I just realized this now.


My thoughts exactly, friend. My thoughts exactly.

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inge Jones
Not her fault people prefer to yell at someone than find out some facts first!


So hang on let me get this straight:

Deli makes a video that is misleading, ignoring references of things she cannot argue against like cost of dlc and purposefully edits his video making his words amd opinions seem different to what they are.

Her community gets their knickers in a twist.

But it’s okay because why should they sit and watch it in full? Presumably Deli has given a fair and accurate response.

Except she hasn’t. I agree people should watch his video but you just said why should they watch it? Can’t have it both ways. They went to give him grief because she made out he was insulting them. She let her fans think that he was.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
Holidays traditions in Sims 4 Seasons are reskinned party goals, can't believe I just realized this now.


Yeah, it’s quite disappointing to say the least.
dodgy builder
#56 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
EDIT_2: I'm a casual gamer and I acknowledge it. I feel out of my comfort zone when it comes to playing a game that involves higher levels of skill and steep learning proccess. I mostly never play those. But I really don't feel insulted by it. Why would I be?


I was talking about EA, and you're talking about your exp. I'm saying some part of ts3 can be very complex. Have you tried making a world? ... or complex cfe builds? EA defines it as casual, but lots of people who cries for depth, might want something very different.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#57 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:20 PM
No, I said I would have expected her to edit HER broadcast of his video to save those who had taken the trouble to watch his from having to sit through it twice - once on his channel then again on hers while she comments at long intervals. To me it's like snipping posts rather than just quoting the whole lump. Do you not believe in editing the quoted portion of a post when you reply so that you just reply to the bits you have something to say about? Or are you one of the annoying people who will copy an entire post just to add "Me too" ?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:34 PM
We can both agree she can edit it. We disagree in that I think it should have been edited in context. But she chose not too and took offence at being called a casual gamer when actually there’s nothing wrong with being a casual gamer and many sims fans are. I’m not a casual gamer but I wouldn’t take offence at being called one nor do I take offence at being called hardcore.

Casual is not to be confused with dedicated or passionate. Her leaving out where he says that there’s nothing wrong with that changes her arguement against him totally.

That’s what I dislike. I don’t think there was any need for that .
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#59 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 5:39 PM
Well it's not like she was rude about him or anything. I thought her criticism was done very respectfully. I didn't see the comments he got but I expect there were quite a few offensive trolls like there are on all sites these days.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Theorist
#60 Old 9th Jul 2018 at 6:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvenom
I was talking about EA, and you're talking about your exp. I'm saying some part of ts3 can be very complex. Have you tried making a world? ... or complex cfe builds? EA defines it as casual, but lots of people who cries for depth, might want something very different.


I inedeed made few very creative worlds (not finished, but close to finishing) and use CFE regularly, but it still does not makes Sims non-casual game and me a non-casual gamer. The game does not require skill from you, you can decide if you want to be skillful and creative, and every player, skillfull and non skillful gets the same amount of enjoyment from the game. That's a casual game for you. But I agree, Will Wrights other games are not that casual and indeed require management and strategy skills. And Sims 1 is also a management/strategy game as well, more so than any other Sims game.

So you are right, no game is fully casual game, and such is the Sims as well. It is actually a very nice balance between management and open-endness, that it feels casual. But the core of the game, managment of needs system is not casual. But that part of the game got dulled out with each new itteration.
However, if the sims was a management game only, it would be... prety boring actually. The perfect balance between casual gameplay, humor, creativity and management that Sims 2 hit is perfect for me.

And that is where we reach the conclusion point. The Sims is a casual game, but given it's origins from managment/strategy genre that it's creator, Will Wright, specialised in, it benefits from it's managment/strategy/simulation mechanics and getting rid of those, or making them less engaging will make the game (as we've seen troughout the history of the game) less fun. But getting overboard with simulation/managment/strategic features would make the game more of a simulation-strategy game, which would not appeal to so many people and wouldn't be as popular and as fun to many people that enjoy it still today.

Sims is still casual game tho, and has mostly casual audience. That's not chaging and is even more propelled with TS4, sadly. I had talked recently how EA wants Sims to be even more casual, probably wanted it to be casual from the start (opposed to Will's vision) and that's why from the start of the franchise there's been a lot of "Sims is a girls game" in the overall public opinion.

If EA made the game some niche simulation-stragtegy game, no matter how interesting and quality the game were to be, even if it was called a classic and a masterpiece in it's genre, it would still appeal only to it's nieche audience. Sims on the other hand, even mediocre would appeal to a way more broader (as we've seen on a global scale) audience, and EA would get way more money for a mediocre product. Less work and resources put in for more money. Ofcourse they would choose the second.
Alchemist
#61 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Babilon
LGR has the advantage that he was already somebody before that yib sims/influencer/game changer crap began to work its poison. How would she survive though?


If she wanted to remain on YouTube, she'd have to find another company to hook up with.

At the risk of sounding sexist even though that is not my intention, getting the backing of a company isn't hard. Act cute, smile a lot, be friendly and if a person is female, showing some cleavage doesn't hurt. The same 'method' is used on Twitch, Instagram, Twitter, ect...

James AKA The Sim Supply helped Deli's channel grow. They're buddies which is fine, but she would have had to work much harder than she has if she didn't have his backing....
Alchemist
#62 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 2:28 PM
Fairy Godmother, Kate...can you not? https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...466022658859008

Yes, we know that Yibs are not paid directly and that they can legally monetize their videos. What you are failing to mention ( on purpose!) is all the other stuff. Like the inappropriate birthday parties, all the wining and dining, being chummy, the paid trips to Redwood, ect... These are also not forms of "cash payments" from EA directly, however, they do influence how Yibs think which translates to how they review sims content and so on. Not too many people are going to badmouth a company that tosses them a free birthday bash. Some of us do know that 1+1=2.

In the name of fairness, it was nice of you to be willing to work with Clint. You're right, what occurred didn't happen on your dime. That was Drake's doing after the ball pit shit storm. That being said, I have my doubts that you have no idea what happened...
Alchemist
#63 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 3:34 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 10th Jul 2018 at 9:48 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa97sr
I still wonder, if there are no restrictions in terms of reviews or threats of being "kicked out" then why did they "kick out" Clint? Why did they stop sending him free early review copies? He's been with EA way longer than Deligracy is, so why?

It's very obvious: they care for 'money vs quality', and since LGR is better at making Neutral reviews his the only one that can (unwillingly) deter others from purchasing a particular pack. Unlike most reviewers *cough game changers* he provides a fair share of cons because his honest and blahblah. With Game Changers, EA can sell cakes with their "Cheerlanders" as somebody describe them well by such good parralel term.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
#64 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 4:29 PM Last edited by drake_mccarty : 10th Jul 2018 at 4:41 PM.
This whole game changers program is destined to implode. Their comminications team is not being transparent here, saying “we don’t remove people for being negative” might be true, but that isn’t the whole story. One of the perks the so called “biased” creators get is early access, which is what they monetize and use as a competitive edge over other content creators in the GC network. While issuing negative reviews might not get them removed from the network, it would certainly revoke their early access status, complementary press trips, access to digital media assets in advance, etc, which would hurt their financial prospects, as that is what gives their channel a competitive edge over other people.

All we have to do is look back to 2014 to see what issuing a negative reaction will do. The YibSim group was cut up, and those who didn’t praise Sims 4 weren’t asked to return for future Sims Camp events. I think it’s really disingenuous for Kate to make a post like she did. EA uses this program for free marketing, and they are going to prioritize channels that will offer praise regardless of what is being offered. Saying “these are people who would buy the packs without being in the program” is just stupid. The big names have been in the EA network for years, they haven’t had to pay for shit. Hence why they are going to sugar coat their videos to avoid losing that perk, along with the other perks.

ETA: in fairness some of the GC are fairly objective. The Sims Supply has been critical of the game, Deligracy has her moments as well. In terms of bias I think there are some that are blatantly biased and make that super obvious (Sims Community). The idea of it all isn’t bad, but insisting that the perks included with the program don’t sway their opinions is totally false. Money plays a role in that as well, but the big thing is the competitive world of digital media creation. It’s became more mainstream which means these content creators need to get the views or they will be lost to another creator.
Alchemist
#65 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 4:48 PM
Quote:
Do not ever be afraid to be a thorn in our sides. Everyone, Game Changer or not, should share their criticisms (in a mature and constructive manner). It’s how we can continue to make this product better and better.


https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...554223461285888

looks around MTS

I'm really missing my hyena avatar....
Field Researcher
#66 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 5:01 PM Last edited by drake_mccarty : 10th Jul 2018 at 5:11 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...554223461285888

looks around MTS

I'm really missing my hyena avatar....


This is the real kicker - because EA-Maxis has their own definitions for constructive criticism. They have for years and it’s shown to be incredibly narrow. This is why any criticism given by the game changers is sprinkled amongst praise or passively said to avoid being interpreted as a serious compliant. This type of encouragement is a public face only, they don’t seriously encourage the GC to be thorns.
Alchemist
#67 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 5:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake_mccarty
This is the real kicker - because EA-Maxis has their own definitions for constructive criticism. They have for years and it’s shown to be incredibly narrow. This is why any criticism given by the game changers is sprinkled amongst praise or passively said to avoid being interpreted as a serious compliant. This type of encouragement is a public face only, they don’t seriously encourage the GC to be thorns.


I didn't take Kate's tweet about being a thorn in their side seriously. I thought it was hilarious. While new members around here won't get my hyena reference, we're talking about a game that consists of angry pooping and talking toilets. I guess in some minds this is the definition of 'maturity'.
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 7:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
At the risk of sounding sexist even though that is not my intention, getting the backing of a company isn't hard. Act cute, smile a lot, be friendly and if a person is female, showing some cleavage doesn't hurt. The same 'method' is used on Twitch, Instagram, Twitter, ect...


I disagree with your statement and am therefore being admittedly petty, but the above "easy route" to company sponsorship only applies if you're conventionally-attractive (and if you have "cleavage" to show since not all people with breasts do), and furthermore, the competition on the internet is growing thick enough that even possessing those features won't necessarily make it easier to gain corporate sponsorship since it's unlikely that the rest of the competition don't also share those features.

I felt this was necessary to say because I am frustrated with the prevailing idea that corporate sponsorships are easy to get, especially for women. It belittles the work that people of all genders and backgrounds do to maintain their brand and their fanbase. It's no easy task, not even for the yibsims. They face difficulties of a different caliber such as trying to remain authentic or trying to maintain the illusion of authenticity while still trying to maintain the type of overly-positive support that EA seems to be demanding of them.

ETA: I want to be clear that I am not trying to defend yibsims or any specific simmer/youtuber/streamer/whatever, but rather the streaming/YouTube/social media career path in general. It may not seem like a real job but it is. Many of these content creators put real-time work into curating their brand and maintaining a happy fanbase while appeasing corporate sponsors. One of the delightful things about Patreon is that its making way for consumers of this media to become the corporate sponsors of their favorite content creators, which allows greater freedom to the creators and less reliance on outside dollars from unscrupulous businesses. But the days of the starving artists are rapidly waning, as they should. And I'm hoping that along with that change, people will have greater insight to how much work it really can be to try and produce quality content on a regular basis. (Admittedly not all content is quality content, but hey, you get what you pay for lmfao)

Lurking since 10/2/07 ~ Call me Cheezy. ;)
Tumblr: http://mmmcheezy.tumblr.com/
Alchemist
#69 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 8:06 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 10th Jul 2018 at 10:35 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezypuff121P
I disagree with your statement and am therefore being admittedly petty, but the above "easy route" to company sponsorship only applies if you're conventionally-attractive (and if you have "cleavage" to show since not all people with breasts do), and furthermore, the competition on the internet is growing thick enough that even possessing those features won't necessarily make it easier to gain corporate sponsorship since it's unlikely that the rest of the competition don't also share those features.

I felt this was necessary to say because I am frustrated with the prevailing idea that corporate sponsorships are easy to get, especially for women. It belittles the work that people of all genders and backgrounds do to maintain their brand and their fanbase. It's no easy task, not even for the yibsims. They face difficulties of a different caliber such as trying to remain authentic or trying to maintain the illusion of authenticity while still trying to maintain the type of overly-positive support that EA seems to be demanding of them.

ETA: I want to be clear that I am not trying to defend yibsims or any specific simmer/youtuber/streamer/whatever, but rather the streaming/YouTube/social media career path in general. It may not seem like a real job but it is. Many of these content creators put real-time work into curating their brand and maintaining a happy fanbase while appeasing corporate sponsors. One of the delightful things about Patreon is that its making way for consumers of this media to become the corporate sponsors of their favorite content creators, which allows greater freedom to the creators and less reliance on outside dollars from unscrupulous businesses. But the days of the starving artists are rapidly waning, as they should. And I'm hoping that along with that change, people will have greater insight to how much work it really can be to try and produce quality content on a regular basis. (Admittedly not all content is quality content, but hey, you get what you pay for lmfao)


I challenge anybody to go onto YouTube, Instagram, ect... and see who gets the views, likes and comments. Beyond the virtual walls of the sims community, take a look at the beauty community. You will see common factors across the board for many of those channels. They talk the same way, they act the same way, ect.... As a woman, I personally could care less what these people say. I find zero joy and or reason to go plunk $100.00 on a face mask that odds are is going to make break out. A person can click through these kinds of channels all day long and most of them, the bigger channels anyway, are all in the back pockets of some company. Or they will try to spin their products as something, when really they are nothing more than products you can buy anywhere, they just have a different label on them.

It doesn't stop there. One beauty channel in particular was peddling a so-called procedure where it was claimed that if people simply froze their body fat, that they'd never have weight issues ever again. It goes without saying, the doctor that made these claims is a total fraud as is the person that owns the YT channel. She has millions of viewers. Want to take a guess what age demographic follows her channel most?

Rolling back the conversation back to sims. Read YouTube comments, look at Instagrams, and Twitter feeds. Deli used post pictures of her cleavage all the time. It wasn't until she started getting obnoxious comments from guys that would say things such as "I only watch you for your tits" that she finally stopped doing it. She's not alone. There are many others that do same thing and the respond the same way to obnoxious comments. If you look a little deeper, you will find that many female simmers and the like, look to the beauty community. There is common ground here.

If you find what I said belittling, you need to consider the source which I might add, is not me. I happen to agree with Gaming Wildlife in their parody video If Streamers Were 100% Honest With Us.... It applies to not only to Twitch, but also to YouTube.

I'm not going to comment on the whole Patreon mess. They claim to be for the starving artists, but now they are charging donators fees which means less money going to the starving artist. Go figure!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#70 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 8:55 PM
Hm, maybe if I shaved it properly and squeezed it the right way I could sport some cleavage, too, and secure myself some influencer career. I can also squee and lisp, if need be, and be really, really cute.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 9:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake_mccarty
This whole game changers program is destined to implode. Their comminications team is not being transparent here, saying “we don’t remove people for being negative” might be true, but that isn’t the whole story. One of the perks the so called “biased” creators get is early access, which is what they monetize and use as a competitive edge over other content creators in the GC network. While issuing negative reviews might not get them removed from the network, it would certainly revoke their early access status, complementary press trips, access to digital media assets in advance, etc, which would hurt their financial prospects, as that is what gives their channel a competitive edge over other people.

All we have to do is look back to 2014 to see what issuing a negative reaction will do. The YibSim group was cut up, and those who didn’t praise Sims 4 weren’t asked to return for future Sims Camp events. I think it’s really disingenuous for Kate to make a post like she did. EA uses this program for free marketing, and they are going to prioritize channels that will offer praise regardless of what is being offered. Saying “these are people who would buy the packs without being in the program” is just stupid. The big names have been in the EA network for years, they haven’t had to pay for shit. Hence why they are going to sugar coat their videos to avoid losing that perk, along with the other perks.

ETA: in fairness some of the GC are fairly objective. The Sims Supply has been critical of the game, Deligracy has her moments as well. In terms of bias I think there are some that are blatantly biased and make that super obvious (Sims Community). The idea of it all isn’t bad, but insisting that the perks included with the program don’t sway their opinions is totally false. Money plays a role in that as well, but the big thing is the competitive world of digital media creation. It’s became more mainstream which means these content creators need to get the views or they will be lost to another creator.


I think another aspect you're not touching on is that for people such as LGR who believe in non-bias reviews and do not want any potential to be swayed, there is no customized option where you get called a Game Changer but don't get ALL the benefits and perks that come with it. You get free flights, you get sneak peeks at content, you get early access, you might even go to events that help influence the game's future content. If someone such as LGR is of the opinion these could sway his reviews, EA does absolutely nothing to try and meet him in the middle and instead it's all a package deal. If he signs up? He's accused of bias and softballing his reviews due to bribery. If he refrains? He doesn't get early access and negative reviews are held off until most fans have bought their copies.
Alchemist
#72 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 9:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Babilon
Hm, maybe if I shaved it properly and squeezed it the right way I could sport some cleavage, too, and secure myself some influencer career. I can also squee and lisp, if need be, and be really, really cute.


Congrats, Mr. Babilon. For once in a long time I'm actually speechless.

Field Researcher
#73 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 9:28 PM Last edited by BudgieSimBoy : 10th Jul 2018 at 11:14 PM.
Surprised Deligracy went down the path with that video..... I just did the exercise of adding up how much it would cost to buy all the EP's, GP's and Sp's not including the base game at time of release it was $639.74 Aussie dollars.

Look I am not against DLC, however when you compare The Sims DLC say to other games I play Planet Coaster and Cities Skylines, The sims DLC it is way overpriced in comparison IMHO. Good on her in being a yibsim...(sorry what are they called this week?), her videos are bright and entertaining if that is your cup of tea. However we all know you get the game for free and the above is a huge outlay to add to the base game.
Lab Assistant
#74 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Fairy Godmother, Kate...can you not? https://twitter.com/SimGuruKate/sta...466022658859008

Yes, we know that Yibs are not paid directly and that they can legally monetize their videos. What you are failing to mention ( on purpose!) is all the other stuff. Like the inappropriate birthday parties, all the wining and dining, being chummy, the paid trips to Redwood, ect... These are also not forms of "cash payments" from EA directly, however, they do influence how Yibs think which translates to how they review sims content and so on. Not too many people are going to badmouth a company that tosses them a free birthday bash. Some of us do know that 1+1=2.

In the name of fairness, it was nice of you to be willing to work with Clint. You're right, what occurred didn't happen on your dime. That was Drake's doing after the ball pit shit storm. That being said, I have my doubts that you have no idea what happened...


Birthday parties? Seriously??

I know they get lots free stuff. One in particular is always posting the free clothes she gets for her and her kids.
Alchemist
#75 Old 10th Jul 2018 at 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldbear

I know they get lots free stuff. One in particular is always posting the free clothes she gets for her and her kids.


And yet it continues to remain a mystery to them why people don't believe anything they say. Lemme think...
Page 3 of 5
Back to top