Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 9:26 PM
Default Playing Multi-Generational Lots
There are so many wonderful lots to download that are built for multi-generational families, but I'm curious. How do YOU play multi-generation lots? If you use separate apts or homes on one lot, do you lock the other sims out of each house? Or do you connect them all and let them go for it. Or, is there another option I'm missing?

One of the things I've always hated about my legacy families is moving some of them out after I've come to love the little pixel peoples. So, tell me how you play, please?

You can never have too much yarn, fabric, or books.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 18th Jul 2018 at 9:45 PM
I take full advantage of the building features unique to sims 4. Playing with generations is so much easier when you can move around and resize the rooms on the fly.

I usually pick a very large house plan to use as a long term goal. Then I just build one room at a time as I need it. I have done this since TS2, but it’s so much less stressful now. In TS2, I had to carefully plan how everything was laid out so I didn’t have to demolish and restart if I made a mistake. It was slightly easier in TS3

In TS4, I can build a room I need even though it isn’t attached (or even on the same floor) as the rooms I’ve already built. I can flip them around however I like, so the outside of the house looks better. The roofing is so much easier to change in TS4. It’s very easy to get an unfinished house looking nice as it gradually grows into its shape.

I only wish basements were easier to make in TS4. I hate just blindly building without seeing what’s above me. TS3 had the best basement creator. And I liked making basements in TS2 better, even though there was no basement tool. I usually made the basement first back then. It would be 3 generations or so before my sims built on the surface. They lived in weird little bunkers til then.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 1:44 AM
A good way to keep multi generational in your home without being in your household is to use some of littlemssams amazing mods. I usually build a huge lot with multiple "houses" to make a family compound. Using Ms Sams mods allows you to assign beds, send people to bed.. make them roommates etc. You should take a look at her roommates mod specifically, But send to bed is good as well. She recommends looking at Kawaiistacies similar mod as well they worked on it at the same time and Ms Sam got permission to release hers around the same time. Take a look at both of them

LittleMsSam
https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post...ing-on-this-mod

KawaiiStacie
https://kawaiistacie.wixsite.com/si...pc-roommate-mod

LittleMsSams version is a little better for families, because KS's version turns a roommate into a butler, so it's a bit less immersive in this particular situation.

When an engineer says that something can't be done, it's a code phrase that means it's not fun to do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 19th Jul 2018 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lodakai
A good way to keep multi generational in your home without being in your household is to use some of littlemssams amazing mods. I usually build a huge lot with multiple "houses" to make a family compound. Using Ms Sams mods allows you to assign beds, send people to bed.. make them roommates etc. You should take a look at her roommates mod specifically, But send to bed is good as well. She recommends looking at Kawaiistacies similar mod as well they worked on it at the same time and Ms Sam got permission to release hers around the same time. Take a look at both of them

LittleMsSam
https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post...ing-on-this-mod

KawaiiStacie
https://kawaiistacie.wixsite.com/si...pc-roommate-mod

LittleMsSams version is a little better for families, because KS's version turns a roommate into a butler, so it's a bit less immersive in this particular situation.

Wow, I use a lot of LittleMsSams' mods, but never even realized what the roommate mod did! Thank you - I'll give it a shot!

Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 6:27 AM
In my legacies, I just assume that they're all living together in the same house as a cooperative household, sharing the same kitchen and living spaces and whatnot. In my main legacy, the best bedroom is reserved for the reigning heir (i.e. the one who is having or raising children) and there's a basement room for the older generation couple (both of these have their own private bath), and then there's some children's rooms and nursery and such on the second floor. When a new heir comes of age, the basement room is usually empty because the grandparents have died naturally by then, so I move all the furnishings of the retiring heir and spouse down there and redecorate the master bedroom for the new heir. Right now, I have four generations under one roof because the youngest are a toddler and baby and the great-grandfather was a bodybuilder and had a potion of life. So I had to get a little creative with the basement to house everyone with their own distinct space. I always (re)decorate for the particular sim or couple, including children's rooms, because then I don't just feel like I'm warehousing them and it helps me build up their personality for my stories better.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 5:05 PM
Hmm... I had two sisters who each got pregnant and had their kids and lived with their mum still, and I basically thought it was like most families living in the city: you move if you can afford it?

But I love playing apartments - I use the door locking features to lock all the other doors and give the key to only the families who live there. It makes for more challenging gameplay (for a change) because you have like four families on the go at once all active and doing random things.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Jul 2018 at 8:23 PM
Thank you all for the input. I'm looking forward to starting a new legacy sim and wanted to be prepared. I used to love the large townhome type lots the ones EHaught made for a previous Sims game (cannot remember if it was S2 or S3), and I would simply keep the facade, but break down all the walls that separated the apartments. I might try that again. But you all have given me ideas to make the experience richer. Thanks!