Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#51 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Will Wright created the game for his purposes

Fun fact: When Will Wright first brought the idea to Maxis for The Sims in the first place they hated it, said it would never work or take off in the gaming market, and refused to develop it. When EA became entangled in Maxis' developmental affairs, they actually liked it and gave the go-ahead to develop it. So, really I guess we do have EA to thank for The Sims even existing today in that regard.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I think their whole purpose is to make money, and entertainment is the vehicle for that.

ETA: Ninja'd by @daisylee !

Great minds think alike! :D

And I think I read back when that Will called it Dollhouse? So glad that was changed. This game is so much more than that and should appeal to any creative person.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#53 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
And I think I read back when that Will called it Dollhouse? So glad that was changed. This game is so much more than that and should appeal to any creative person.

That was exactly why they changed it. They didn't want to have a "target" audience, but a game that literally anyone could enjoy. That was why people got so up in arms about Drake's comments when she was still the CM for The Sims, especially that asinine comment about The Sims being targeted towards teenage girls. Ugh.

Scholar
#54 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jathom95
Fun fact: When Will Wright first brought the idea to Maxis for The Sims in the first place they hated it, said it would never work or take off in the gaming market, and refused to develop it. When EA became entangled in Maxis' developmental affairs, they actually liked it and gave the go-ahead to develop it. So, really I guess we do have EA to thank for The Sims even existing today in that regard.

Yeah but that was back when EA was actually good you know back when they put quality over profit. I'm not saying that they were saints back then but when you look back at their older games you could tell that they used put a lot of effort and passion into their games but now i'm left wondering what happened to the good EA.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:50 PM
Jathom, you are totally right. And I think I heard much of the development was in part due to building design after his house burned and this was a way to do architectural designs? I wanted to be an architect for years and bought programs for that when Sims came out. They were a pain to use and more than I wanted. Building in Sims was heaven to me, plus add everything else. None of that should be limited to an age or what your gender is.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#56 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 5:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
Yeah but that was back when EA was actually good.

EA becoming "bad" is really the same tale of any other giants. Most of their bad decisions stem from the fact that they have shareholders to please. People who have absolutely no experience in developing games and don't care about what must be done to get them released. It's not like Valve, a privately owned company who can do pretty much whatever they want at their own leisure. Do they make decisions in poor judgment? Of course, what company doesn't? But people don't realize how often they do things such as offering extensions to development teams for games in progress. EA may not be the great publisher they used to be, but they could be much, much worse.

Mad Poster
#57 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 6:08 PM

Why their changed their opinions? Sudden media attention.
https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elem...ged-video-games
TLDR; programmer accidentally leaves autonomy enabled for certain Sims, AI decides to pair two female Sims, female Sims kiss in front of E3 audience, gaming reporters realize EA is making a game where you can make chicks make out with each other, suddenly there's demand for the game.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#58 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 6:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Why their changed their opinions? Sudden media attention.

Of course, it would be crazy for any company to not have an ulterior motive for their actions. But we still got The Sims. If that was their reason for greenlighting the entire project, then so be it in my book.

Mad Poster
#60 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 7:58 PM
It's a very odd complaint, because I've been in contact with EA's customer support about half a dozen times and they've been nothing but helpful and friendly. I've had quicker service, and I've had service that resolved my issues easier, but their support has time for chitchat, they've always gotten me what I wanted and they've given me a couple of free games, too.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#62 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Was that after 2013? They made efforts after receiving the award twice in a row to improve customer relations.

Plus, it helps that Andrew Wilson has been one of their better CEOs. Much better than John Riccitiello, for sure.

Mad Poster
#63 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:08 PM
Well for one, I believe that you're not entitled to nice treatment until you give it out yourself. So, I'd never be excessively rude to someone who's just doing their job. I don't blame people for things they can't control. Having said that, I've never been a customer of United and it's unlikely that I'll ever be, but that fiasco of theirs has eliminated any chance of me wanting to fly with them. I fly with KLM, I like them perfectly fine, there's never been anything wrong with them that I know of (besides causing the largest crash in aviation history but you can't really judge them for it), and if I needed to fly with another airline I'd make sure it was the best one available.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
#64 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:17 PM
...Annyway, in the interest of preserving the thread's original intent, I'll throw another one out there. So, I've actually heard people say that they think Sims 3 worlds are ugly and boring, just like the Sims themselves. Can anyone fill me in on that one? 'Cause I'm sure not seeing it. For a game released in 2009, I think the worlds are absolutely great.

Not in all cases but I suspect they are playing on a minimal system requirement or less than computer and/or monitor and everything may look dull, blurry and the lots/neighborhood lifeless. Otherwise, some just prefer toon world even though alll Sims games except TS4 was always a balance between realism/seriousness and cartoony/silliness. For me, it wasn't that much of a jump from TS2 Sims to TS3 Sims as it was with TS Sims to TS2 Sims.

As far as, some finding the Sims themselves boring may be because they never delve deep into gameplay nor their Sims AI to ever find the many fascinating things they do and think. Some don't ever spend much time to even get to know the Sims before constantly moving on so they never fully experience what the AI has to offer in terms of entertainment and realism. Sims are the most dynamic than they ever have been because of the open seamless world, therefore, always intriguing to me. Another point may be some play with no free will to low free will and yeah...that is boring. I rarely ever play like that and give my Sims as much freedom as possible and have so much fun observing what they do when I'm not actively controlling them.

Sims look fine to me and now I'm wondering what other outfits from TS/TS2 can I recreate in TS3.

Mad Poster
#65 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:20 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 25th Jul 2018 at 8:59 PM.
Oh I was about to recreate that suit as well - I thought it'd look good in the Bridgeport88 world. Will post pictures.
Very much not a fan of the base game suits, though. They look cheap and poorly fitted. Typical 00s suits. Some of the base game clothing is fine, but then again some of it looks like it was designed by someone who's never bought a piece of clothing.

Well I managed to squeeze one picture out, despite the atrocious state of my game over the last few days. It's barely playable at this point. Either the game is fucked or my GPU is. And I'll tell you whose problem that shouldn't be either way.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#67 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:42 PM
Well, ideally everyone should be practicing simple common courtesy. I realize not everyone is like us, but the notion still stands. I see it all the time even with people who aren't particularly outgoing, and they end up being some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Maybe I'm too egalitarian for my own good, but until someone gives me a reason to really not like them, I treat everyone exactly the same - as equals.

Scholar
#68 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 8:53 PM
EA becoming "bad" is really the same tale of any other giants. Most of their bad decisions stem from the fact that they have shareholders to please. People who have absolutely no experience in developing games and don't care about what must be done to get them released. It's not like Valve, a privately owned company who can do pretty much whatever they want at their own leisure. Do they make decisions in poor judgment? Of course, what company doesn't? But people don't realize how often they do things such as offering extensions to development teams for games in progress. EA may not be the great publisher they used to be, but they could be much, much worse.

But how worst could they possibly be? I mean just over 7 months ago there was that loot boxing controversy and they only stopped doing it because here was a huge backlash and it had even got political attention.
Forum Resident
#69 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 9:17 PM
Well, that's another thing. You expect your bank to treat you like crap. But you play video games to escape that stuff, not have to deal with more of it.

Also, the Sim City timing definitely influenced the second win, as mentioned above.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#70 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Squidconqueror
But how worst could they possibly be? I mean just over 7 months ago there was that loot boxing controversy and they only stopped doing it because here was a huge backlash and it had even got political attention.

...And? That only became a controversy due to peoples' inability to control spending real money on trinkets in game. The political aspect came from the media frenzy surrounding it, just like everything else. EA was adding another form of MT that had already been popularized by other games anyway, nothing diabolical under the hood. Just typical EA. Maybe it could have been better regulated, but still. *shrugs*

Scholar
#71 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 9:38 PM
...And? That only became a controversy due to peoples' inability to control spending real money on trinkets in game. The political aspect came from the media frenzy surrounding it, just like everything else. EA was adding another form of MT that had already been popularized by other games anyway, nothing diabolical under the hood. Just typical EA. Maybe it could have been better regulated, but still. *shrugs*

It must have been bad enough that they decided to take the lootboxes out.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#72 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 9:49 PM
That's just business. When a large portion of your customer base are screaming at you over something, it's in your best interest as a business not to ignore them.

Mad Poster
#73 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 10:06 PM
And yet you own several packs released less than 7 years ago

insert signature here
Scholar
#74 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 10:07 PM
That's just business. When a large portion of your customer base are screaming at you over something, it's in your best interest as a business not to ignore them.

I agree with you on that one.
Forum Resident
#75 Old 25th Jul 2018 at 10:25 PM Last edited by Deshong : 26th Jul 2018 at 4:36 PM.
@GrijzePilion I plan on doing another version to see if I can get a closer resemblance to the suit. The top is fitted to her curves and also the buttons and pockets should be a different color and she adorns a gold necklace with a green gem. The base game skirt is fine but I might look into what else I have that is from an EP/SP/Store. Just from that particular game it's all base game only and I haven't attempted a re-try yet in my other save.
Page 3 of 12