Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 1:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Simpe cannot find sims 2 installation folders and objects will not generate
Hi,
I am currently having allot of issues with SimPE and I have tried allot of different versions of the program and fixes but it still will not work. SimPE will not locate the installation files for any of the games. I am using UC since windows 10 has not always recognized the disc installations I have used, SimPE cannot find the sim folders not matter what. I have browsed for them and manually placed them into SimPE for it to find but still not find it. The only ones it seems to find are the happy holiday stuff items and occasionally base the others but they do not display any information save black boxs in object workshop. SimPE will also not find the objects filetable in its data folder, occasionally hitting fix will work and it will generate one but most of the time it does not.
I have used various fixes to try make SimPE work and various installations of it, including a full reinstall of sims 2 to see if that helps and nothing has had make it completely with normaly the object table being fixed.

My current version of SimPE is 0.75.68.15. I am running on windows 10 and UC, terrible combo i know but I didnt run into issues with other games on my system

Thanks in advance for any help
Screenshots

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 3:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
Hi,
I am currently having allot of issues with SimPE and I have tried allot of different versions of the program and fixes but it still will not work. SimPE will not locate the installation files for any of the games. I am using UC since windows 10 has not always recognized the disc installations I have used, SimPE cannot find the sim folders not matter what. I have browsed for them and manually placed them into SimPE for it to find but still not find it. The only ones it seems to find are the happy holiday stuff items and occasionally base the others but they do not display any information save black boxs in object workshop. SimPE will also not find the objects filetable in its data folder, occasionally hitting fix will work and it will generate one but most of the time it does not.
I have used various fixes to try make SimPE work and various installations of it, including a full reinstall of sims 2 to see if that helps and nothing has had make it completely with normaly the object table being fixed.

My current version of SimPE is 0.75.68.15. I am running on windows 10 and UC, terrible combo i know but I didnt run into issues with other games on my system

Thanks in advance for any help

To be honest...I am not sure. Have you tried checking the installation directory?
You could try checking if the game is installed in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES" directory. If they are not, try moving them there from the directory they are in now, and if there is no EA GAMES folder in your Program Files directory, try making one of your own and place the game files there.

Now, if that doesn't work, try downloading SimPE at one of its previous versions. I personally use SimPE ver. 0.72.1 because it has less crashes than the MTS latest one, or at least for me. This just might do the trick.
You can find that version of SimPE here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/simpe/
If these don't work, try restarting your computer. Sometimes things in the system can get clunky after a program installation and a reboot is needed to solve it.

Good luck! Also, here is a screenshot of my directory in case you want to try changing installation directory:
Screenshots
Scholar
#3 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 4:04 PM
I don't have the UC but I have seen users of the UC ask the same question.
You will need to manually set the paths to your EP/SP using 'Extra -> Preferences... -> System Folders'. Any line that is blank, or wrong means SimPE couldn't find it, select that line then select the little box that'll appear on the right to 'browse to' the EP/SP's folder.

In previous versions of SimPE if the registry entry couldn't be found many parts of SimPE would consider that it doesn't exist so manually setting the paths didn't fix everything, I have changed it to also check if the folder path exists if the registry entry doesn't so that method is reliable now.

The problem is that SimPE uses the wrong registry values to locate the game, it checks HKLM\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\ but that is not what the game uses and isn't the same in all cases. The game uses HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\(game executable name) which is 100% reliable and always the same, but (game executable name) has a 'dot' in it for example Sims2.exe and I can't get SimPE to parse that properly.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 4:21 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Apr 2020 at 4:32 PM.
^ That didn't seem to be an issue with the 0.75f edition. It seemed to be set up for UC, and I didn't have to do anything much to fix the preferences (0.73 didn't work, another .75 version also didn't work, though I haven't tried 0.75.68 yet).

Maybe a version of the settings with paths set up for the UC is needed? The paths are different from the CD version, and I can imagine Windows 10 might be complicating the matter.

As an example, here's how the M&G path from 0.75f shows up (I'm not sure how it's set up internally in SimPE, though - you could probably figure it out from the 0.75f files)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\Base\..\\..\\Fun with Pets\\SP9
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 4:37 PM
I have linked them manualy up to where they are but SimPE still does not like them

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Apr 2020 at 4:46 PM
The UC uses allot of the bundle packs for sims 2 such as university life pack

Nocturnal Dawn
Instructor
#7 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 2:27 AM
I just got mine running today. You need to click on a file path, then the blue change, and fix it to the non-gibberish EP name in the same directory using the dialog box that will pop up.

I had trouble with the CEP, because the path Numenor gave for the files is no longer correct. You do not use the paths in the Ultimate Collection Double Deluxe folder, but the same path in the Sims 2 folder for ALL 4 of the CEP files.

Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 6:20 AM
I will give this a spin with simpe, glad your SimPE woes are fixed though rhiamon

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 6:49 AM
Good news, I now have objects working, bad news still cant get to reconize all the UC files
Screenshots

Nocturnal Dawn
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 9:48 AM
Have you checked that SimPE's FileTable points to all files/folders (all files are marked). You can also try to reset and Reload the FileTable:
Instructor
#11 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by clsve
Have you checked that SimPE's FileTable points to all files/folders (all files are marked). You can also try to reset and Reload the FileTable:

Once I had the game pointing to all the correct system folders all the file table folders were correct except for the 4 CEP files/folders. So I can’t help with that. What result does the system check give?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rhiamom
Once I had the game pointing to all the correct system folders all the file table folders were correct except for the 4 CEP files/folders. So I can’t help with that. What result does the system check give?

It can SimPE cache but it no luck on the sim folders, I closed down SimPE earlier now its sort of reset? So now the file table for object doesnt work

Quote: Originally posted by clsve

Allot of the folders having missing in brackets before them

Nocturnal Dawn
Instructor
#13 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 4:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Artimis
It can SimPE cache but it no luck on the sim folders, I closed down SimPE earlier now its sort of reset? So now the file table for object doesnt work
Allot of the folders having missing in brackets before them

The place where it says folders are missing is the file table, not the system folders. System folders is the thing you should be clicking on the left-hand side of the window you get when you select preferences. The file table should fix itself when you get the system folders set correctly. (Except for the 4 CEP locations.)

If the only green check you get on the system check is the middle one, then your system folders are not set to the correct path. The image I posted shows about half the correct paths. The other half follows the same pattern. And you need to save preferences (bottom menu item under Extras) after you change them, too, or they revert back.

What is listed in light grey at the top of the system check when you click details? Those are the wrong paths you need to fix.

Looks like I need to write a tutorial.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 5:13 PM
I have linked them all to the files again, but the paths are still grey. I hope I am not missing something very obvious
Screenshots

Nocturnal Dawn
Mad Poster
#15 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 5:38 PM
CH released a few variations of SimPE. If you happen to have the SimPE version for angels & nurses (or the adult one), it's possible there could be some issues with it recognizing your game. There was some info included in the SimPE download he released.

Personally I'm planning to stick with 0.75f because it seems to be a little bit more UC friendly. It may have a few bugs, but at least it worked with the folder paths.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#16 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 9:56 PM
If you do the System Check, the first check is going to give an error.  It's looking for the .exe files for each EP/SP and it won't find them as the only .exe is in the SP9 folder.   Don't use the "Fix" option, it's just going mess it up. 

Are you using the installer version? This might cause issues with saving preferences, try using the no-installer version.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 10:35 PM
I am using the installer verison, it is saving prefences.

Nocturnal Dawn
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 16th Apr 2020 at 10:52 PM
I have just tired the none installer verison and it works! Its reconizing everything I am so happy. I have been trying to get this working for weeks! Thank you so much everyone who answered

Nocturnal Dawn
Instructor
#19 Old 19th Apr 2020 at 4:24 AM
Hurrah! I am so glad you got it working!