Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 5:20 PM Last edited by Echo : 18th Sep 2008 at 1:19 PM.
Retaining object animations using the Mesh Tool
Animation Retaining Mesh Tool Tutorials

After encountering a great many questions about how to "retain animations" in several objects I have put together some short "Mesh Tool" Text Tutorials.
These Tutorials are geared toward "experienced" object creators not begginers. I will only support questions aimed directly at the tutorials. I will not answer questions as to how to create your meshes or packages. If you are going to use these tutorials you should have a good knowledge of the above.
The tutorials use the same basic procedure explained by "Miche" some time ago on "How to Create and Armoire" some time ago. A special "Thank You" to "Miche" for allowing me to rewrite the original ".obj" portion of that tutorial and translate it to the other object tutorials I have included. These are the exact procedures I have used to create these objects and I will support the steps in the tutorials if need be.
I have supplied these tutorials in PDF format and embedded them with a bit of relaxing music for your pleasure... Upon opening "Adobe Reader".
Tutorials included:
Creating a "Chest of Drawers"
Creating a "Toilet"
Creating an "Armoire"
Creating a "Refrigerator"

----------
Tutorials:Retaining object animations using the Mesh Toolwiki
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Creating A Chest Of Drawers (Dresser) With The Mesh Tool.rar (547.8 KB, 2318 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Creating A Refrigerator With The Mesh Tool.rar (502.8 KB, 1924 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Creating A Toilet With The Mesh Tool.rar (277.3 KB, 1791 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  Creating An Armoire With The Mesh Tool.rar (419.9 KB, 1596 downloads) - View custom content

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:25 PM
Thanks greatly for going to all this trouble, JWoods. Can't wait to try out the tutorials!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 28th Aug 2005 at 10:32 PM Last edited by dsreds : 28th Aug 2005 at 11:44 PM.
I am a Newbie I haven't tried anything yet I plan to read first..although It is making me quite dizzy :werd:

JWoods I pray for all of you in the Path of Katrina,,please stay safe and may God Bless...hope to see you back real soon and all is well with everyone

My prayers go out to all :werd:

Donna
Test Subject
#4 Old 29th Aug 2005 at 12:39 AM
wow tnx man...... just what i need !!!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Aug 2005 at 2:58 AM
dsreds: You may want to try here first to get the hang of things (you mentioned being new ). http://forums.modthesims2.com/showt...4028#post724028

Thanks for your kind words as to the current events (Hurricane)'.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 29th Aug 2005 at 5:04 PM
*sorry to be off topic*

I woke up this morning to the news on Katrina, I hope you and your loved ones are safe.
I pray ALL effected are safe, I also have loved ones (friends) in the same areas.

And thank you again for sharing your knowledge with us.

KitsSim2Stuff
"To be a Sim lover? Or not to be a Sim lover? That is a silly question."
Test Subject
#7 Old 29th Aug 2005 at 9:30 PM Last edited by AstonG : 30th Aug 2005 at 8:23 PM. Reason: I fixes that
Hey i got a problem with Refrigerator....
i followed your tutorial and look what i got (Screenshot)

l****************l
l****i fixed that****l
l****************l
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#8 Old 29th Aug 2005 at 10:43 PM
I have started there and downloaded the tuts..I am just trying to make sense of it all...lol and I hope to be brave enough to start and stick with it.

Thanks for all the information you have supplied here, I for one would not know how it would all get done without all the mods and creators here.

My hats off to all of you
Inventor
#9 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 7:03 PM
jwoods your great thankyou so much for the new tutorial.
Test Subject
#10 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 8:24 PM
how can i make it recolor enable????
Inventor
#11 Old 1st Sep 2005 at 11:41 PM
hello ok i have just found out that jwoods wont be around for some time because him and his family was living in new orleans at the time of the deverstating hurcane katrina. please don't ask for jwoods help as he won't be here . just be . all we can do is hope jwoods and his family is ok and he will be back soon. here is delphys thread. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...?threadid=87245

here is jwoods signature that may explain a bit more .

here is a copy of his sig

I may not be here at MTS2 for quite some time after today o8/29/05 as I live in the very Southeast of Louisiana in the very center of the path of Hurricane Katrina. Please be patient with my answering to threads in the next week to possiblely 3 weeks. Sorry for any in convenience... JWoods.

please do put jwoods in your prayers as i and a lot of other people from this website will be.
Test Subject
#12 Old 3rd Sep 2005 at 4:56 AM
Thats perfectly understandable, my heart goes out to him and his family and all the other people who have been affected by Katrina.
Test Subject
#13 Old 6th Sep 2005 at 10:45 PM
I don't understand nothing! SIGH! I'm not english... Is really hard....

sob!
Inventor
#14 Old 7th Sep 2005 at 11:48 PM
ok i have just seen an update that jwoods and hid family is fine this is what his signature reads.

Thanks all for your prayers and kind messages. My family and I are all alive. I am living in Texas for a while due to the massive distruction and loss of everything. It may be some time until I can be back here but I will be back when I rebuild my life. JWoods.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 14th Sep 2005 at 4:05 PM
I think about him often throughout the day. He's helped so many people and I'm sure we're all thinking about JWoods and his family. I'm humbled by the fact that he's already started to offer his advice again so soon after the catastrophe.

That embedded music though! Relaxing? Haha, good one!
Part-time Hermit
#16 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 6:18 PM
When I recently made an armoire according to one of these tutorials, everything else worked as expected, but the armoire was lying on its back on the ground in the game. I solved the problem by rotating the mesh in Milkshape after UV-mapping (around the Origin, X 90 Y 0 Z 180 degrees). I don't know why it happened in the first place because I created the mesh to the same orientation as the new one, but at least simple rotating fixed it.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 7:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by IgnorantBliss
When I recently made an armoire according to one of these tutorials, everything else worked as expected, but the armoire was lying on its back on the ground in the game. I solved the problem by rotating the mesh in Milkshape after UV-mapping (around the Origin, X 90 Y 0 Z 180 degrees). I don't know why it happened in the first place because I created the mesh to the same orientation as the new one, but at least simple rotating fixed it.

Gee I think I know the answer to that. I believe that while SimPE now exports in xzy orientation the mesh tool only imports and exports in xyz.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 16th Oct 2005 at 7:54 PM
Here's my question. I've used this method on quite a few things now and it's always worked great. Thank you. But this morning I've been trying to make new kitchen counters for the first time. Since I only wanted to change the doors, I made an .obj file with two groups, one for each door. I replaced each sub-group, with the mesh tool, as described in the tutorials and left the rest alone. When I replaced the GMDC files in SimPE I noticed that the new mesh had fewer vertices than the original, which was odd because I had actually added a feature to the old doors. When I went to look at it in the game not surprisingly part of the counter was missing. I'm not sure what to try next.
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2005 at 3:34 PM
when i clicked on the link to the toilet tut, a window came up that said "page cannot be displayed." is there something wrong with it?
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Oct 2005 at 4:20 AM
Default making cars for nightlife
can some one show me how to do it
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 2:39 PM
Default Help
what am i making wrong??

Instructor
#22 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 3:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lakritze83
what am i making wrong??

I have had this if the vertices are not assigned to the correct joint, or not all vertices were assigned to a joint.

Eclectic Sims The place for your younger sims and unique animated items!
Charmed Sims Archives Gorgeous Clothing, Furnishings and more.
Two great sites ALL FREE NOW!!!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SnowStorm
I have had this if the vertices are not assigned to the correct joint, or not all vertices were assigned to a joint.
but they are
Test Subject
#24 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 8:18 AM
I need someone to have a tutorial on how to create a mesh from scratch. I have an idea of a bedroom set (dresser, nightstand and bed) that I would to create. There are objects that are similar to what I want but I am not sure how to create it. I have the tutorial by Grapholina (which is great) but her tutorial has the mesh of new armoire already created. I can follow the steps if I had my own mesh to work from.

Can someone help me ... please!!!
Part-time Hermit
#25 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 8:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dyamondgyrl77
I need someone to have a tutorial on how to create a mesh from scratch. I have an idea of a bedroom set (dresser, nightstand and bed) that I would to create. There are objects that are similar to what I want but I am not sure how to create it. I have the tutorial by Grapholina (which is great) but her tutorial has the mesh of new armoire already created. I can follow the steps if I had my own mesh to work from.

Can someone help me ... please!!!

The object tutorial by JWoods teaches the basics of creating a simple mesh in Milkshape. There are also tutorials for Blender and Wings 3D around. To learn the basics of the mesh creation, you can also look for any tutorial online for the program you're using, it doesn't have to be a Sims specific one.
Page 1 of 4