Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Theme Seasons and Celebrations - posted on 1st Oct 2017 at 1:52 PM
Replies: 58 (Who?), Viewed: 31656 times.
Page 1 of 3
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jun 2015 at 11:40 PM Last edited by pikeman101 : 8th Feb 2017 at 6:57 PM.
Default Eating Dogs/Cats - Yay or Nay?
Today I saw on the Sims' Facebook page an ad suggesting that eating dogs is wrong, since they are "man's best friend" (see this change.org petition).

I want to know your opinions.

I, personally, don't see what is wrong with eating dog/cat and here are my reasons:
1) Humans named dogs "man's best friend" - no one else. They'd eat a human corpse.
2) Pets are objectively no different from farming animals. Do people eat chickens? Yes. Do they have them as pets? Yes.
3) Different cultures eat different foods.

I will, however, agree that the way that people treat animals can be uncalled for (forcing them to live in cages for their entire life), but if this is the main reason, it can't be ignored that chickens/pigs/cows are also mistreated internationally and, while this get some publicity, I've never seen a cow's face on an ad against animal cruelty.


Sources:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._dead_body.html
http://www.mypetchicken.com/about-chickens/
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 12:54 AM
3 is my main and basically only reason to not eat any cats or dogs, while Indians don't like that we eat cows and muslims dislike our pig eating. We simply don't eat dogs or cats. But I would prefer eating cats or dogs over insects, simply because these are still mammals like pigs and cows. And horses, sheep and bunnies I've eaten in the past.

Man's best friend? A lot of people dislike or even hate dogs, but that's a matter of upbringing and training by the owner. We even have a saying for this in Dutch about dogs acting the same like their boss/owner. It depends on the trainer if a dog is a man's best friend.

For me, animal cruelty and abuse purely for fun is a whole different discussion. Animals as part of eating and food prosession is completely normal.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Theorist
#3 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 1:38 AM
I've had both, or at least I've told I've had both. I've also had way, way more bugs to eat than I really would like. So my thoughts, in no particular order:

Cat tastes horrible. Even with barbecue sauce on it, it's not pulled pork and you can tell. There was really just something off about its texture to me, but I accept that maybe judging cat on "a friend from work takes you to the dodgy-looking stuffed yeast roll vendor" might not be being fair to the meat.

Dog isn't bad. Not "better than steak" but better than poorly prepared venison or overcooked veal. At the time it reminded me of beef, but more on the game animal side of things. I really wouldn't blink an eye at being served dog again. It's probably less challenging than something like bear, which I've been told is really strong tasting and oily.

Insects, I like crickets and ants several different ways, and moths in no possible way ever again.

Squirrel is worse than any of these things. Seriously, it even smells horrible.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 1:40 AM
Maybe the ick factor has something to do with disrupting the food chain, in addition to not wanting to eat thypical pets? Both cats and dogs are carnivores, while cows, sheep, horses and chickens are herbivores. We mainly keep household pets for the purpose of eating them, or for a more long-term service in producing things like milk, eggs or wool. Herbivores are for the most part somewhat docile and easy to keep locked in a pen, and they don't complain too much as long as they've got food to eat, compared to the fight a dog would put up. I can imagine that trying to keep cats or dogs for the sole purpose of eating them would be a whole lot more difficult. Maybe we also instinctively feel we have a bit more in common with predators, since humans (as omnivores) are somewhere in the upper middle in the food chain - we're fearsome hunters of animals of any size when armed, but without our man-made 'teeth' we don't have a lot in the way of defense for a big predator.

As for dogs being man's best friend, just remember that they're essentially tamed wolves, and the wild originals are not particularly friendly. Cats might be friendlier than their larger and wilder relatives, but they're still related to dangerous predators, even if their prey tend to be more manageable for their own size.

Left with little to no choice, I think most people would prefer eating cats or dogs over insects if they had the choice. I can imagine the taste would be better. Eating cats and dogs often happens where food is a bit lacking, and the source of the meat isn't important. Abandoned pets or wild creatures might just be picked off the street and eaten simply because they're a cheap source of meat. I can imagine that they use their muscles (meat) a lot more, so they wouldn't taste as good as a docile, mostly stationary herbivore.

Animal cruelty and keeping animals for eating them later are two separate things. You can care about the animals and make sure they have a good life up until they're chopped up, and that's not cruelty. Predators eat meat, and humans are essentially predators. Wee've just learned how to save our (live) food for later. It doesn't mean we don't care about the animals while they're alive. However, active or passive abuse of animals (beating them, too small pens or cages, malnourishment, and so on) is wrong and will always be wrong.
Theorist
#5 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 2:25 AM
If it came down to starving to death and having food in my stomach, I will eat a dog or cat.

However, I can't eat something I built a rapport with.

http://richinc.boards.net <--- My forum. Currently has a general talk board and a cooking board. Check back for more boards... please don't hurt me.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 4:23 AM
Ethically, It makes sense not to eat any of the top 10 most intelligent creatures on the planet (which includes Bush Meat (primates), Calamari (Octopi and Squid), Pork (pigs), as well as the common Cat and Dog, though half of all dog breeds were originally bred for meat). Until the developed nations ban the consumption of pork and calamari, we have no businesses banning cat or dog meat around the world (though Bush Meat is bad because they are eating endangered animals likely to have SIV).

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 5:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
I, personally, don't see what is wrong with eating dog/cat and here are my reasons:
1) Humans named dogs "man's best friend" - no one else.They'd eat a human corpse.
2) Pets are objectively no different from farming animals. Do people eat chickens? Yes. Do they have them as pets? Yes.
3) Different cultures eat different foods.


I, personally, don't see what's wrong with eating human meat and here are my reasons:
1) Humans are bastards. Some cultures eat human corpses.
2) Raising children is objectively no different from farming animals. Do people eat human meat? Yes. Do those same cultures have children? Yes.
3) Different cultures eat different foods.

(Seriously, though, can anyone make an argument for eating meat that can't be used to justify cannibalism?)

My MTS writing group, The Story Board
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 2:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugbug993
I, personally, don't see what's wrong with eating human meat and here are my reasons:
1) Humans are bastards. Some cultures eat human corpses.
2) Raising children is objectively no different from farming animals. Do people eat human meat? Yes. Do those same cultures have children? Yes.
3) Different cultures eat different foods.

(Seriously, though, can anyone make an argument for eating meat that can't be used to justify cannibalism?)


I was waiting for someone to say this! Yay!

The main reason (which has nothing to do with ethics) is kuru (a type of human Mad Cow Disease). Basically, a person eats another person and runs the risk of an incurable, awful death. This disease is the most likely reason why people evolved to -typically- not eat other humans.

Then there is the political problem of eating humans: if we eat others, what makes us any less likely to be eaten? While this issue is absent from eating the already-deceased, if we are discussing raising humans to be eaten, then it must be acknowledged that the farmer can become the farmed.

Sources:
http://www.healthmap.org/site/disea...m-bad-you-72612
https://news.utexas.edu/2011/07/14/cannibalism
http://gizmodo.com/is-cannibalism-u...ul-b-1611929186
Theorist
#9 Old 21st Jun 2015 at 3:44 PM Last edited by Mistermook : 21st Jun 2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Clarified and extended my position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugbug993
I, personally, don't see what's wrong with eating human meat


Socialization and dehumanization, they're important. At the end of the day humans are bastards because we're top tier predators, and while there's nothing wrong with the meat portion of eating people there's plenty of important "let's not fuck with this" reasons for not eating people on the long term social implications and individuals-are-awful criminal consequences spectrum of things.

You only have to open your news browser each morning to realize that an awful lot of fucked up people are still quite happy to engage in race wars or dehumanize people in ways we wouldn't treat animals for the most part - not even if we were about to eat them, not even if we were mean ole' corporations only paying attention to the bottom line. Because we do have interactions with people that we do not have with animals for the most part, some of us will probably always have some fucking outstandingly antisocial issues with other people that we're just no having with a cow because even in the most backwoods of places you're not having bulls take away people's girlfriends or jobs or whatever.

Not eating people doesn't have anything to do with long pig not being a perfectly viable protein, and it has everything to do with society being a fragile, imperfect thing barely constraining all the evil monkeys as it is. The long term goal is civilization, and I'm afraid that eating each other just runs deeply counter to the sort of social empathy that civilization requires. Maybe not for everyone, but some people are worse bastards than others. I don't think cannibalism is terribly scandalous in survival situations where it pops up every so often, but you just can't hook the curtain back on it and not expect the bastards to come out in droves. We only imagine that there are terrible people out there in the world, but even in the worst of places I suspect the worst of people are still somewhat constrained (!!!) because of peer pressure and "what would the world do if the world knew" sorts of questions. Drag some things into the light, and I just think you're asking for all the clever creep we left behind settling down in cities after wandering around like shiftless beggars for several thousand years of prehistory (except with all the industrialization of a Nazi concentration camp writ onto the 21st century, with steaks).
#10 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 4:55 AM Last edited by BloodyScholastic : 22nd Jun 2015 at 5:21 AM.
I feel I'm the only one Asian living in Asian country in this forum so I try to cease the wrong misinformation and misconception over dog meat consumption controversy for Yulin Dog Meat Festival.

It's not because of the eating specific animal is the problem.

It's how the animals are treated before they get killed. the hygienic and healthy concern, morality, the legality issues.

Aside from the "What's the different between dogs/cats with chicken, cows, fish, pigs, they're all animals".
You do know the chicken, cows, fish, pigs, are raised for their meat source with supervision from veterinarians, ensuring their meat are safe to eat for humans.
These common livestock animals farmings are legal under law. No stolen animals, no abusing/horrible treatment, no overdose toxic injected into their body.

How's about the dogs/cats?
I know the current trending news about STOP KILLING DOGS FOR YULIN DOG MEAT FESTIVAL 2015 about how intrusive the reactions of people from all around the world to sign the petition to voice their opinion to not killing dogs for meat consumption.

What's the most disappointing is how uninformed westerners/non-Asians people about the real issues behind the controversies killing dogs that is supposedly to be pet not food.
Their responses are typically: "OMG DOGS ARE CUTE PETS!! WHY WOULD THEY KILLED THEM FOR FOOD!!! HOW CRUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!" because of the difference of their culture (western) with Asians without knowing the real issues behind it.

Even though they're animals with the exceptionally more intelligent than the rest of livestock animals - chicken, cows, pig, fish, etc
the dogs and cats aren't supposed to be eaten because:

- LEGALITY: The dogs are about to be slaughtered in Yulin dog meat festival are STOLEN PETS. This is criminal. Not a choice of eating animals because of their meat source.

- ANIMAL ABUSE: The dog slaughter in Yulin dog meat festival killing the dogs with the most brutal ways are possible in front of public. The dogs are beaten to death, skinned alive, get thrown to boiling water, IN FRONT OF MANY EYES ON PUBLIC STREET in the most barbaric ways. While common livestock animals in farming are treated properly under law. No animal abuse for livestock animals before they get killed. Killing method is supposedly fast, effective, without making these animals suffered too much pain.
The reason behind the abusing method? The more suffered the animals are, the tastier is their meat becomes.

-HEALTH ISSUES: There is no legal certificate for dogs/cats meat farming. People can breed dogs/cats how many as they want but there is no legal certificate farming for public consumption from government, which ended up their dogs/cats meat are risque to eat. Imagine the possible disease these dogs carried in their body as the medium. Rabies. The dogs are mostly sick and injured of being cramped into very small and unhygienic cage with several dogs that possibly sick and transfer disease to each other. Because there is no health standards for dog meat, the meat is more likely to be unsafe and unhealthy compared to the standards for common livestock meat. I read somewhere on Chinese website, the dog meat possibly contains TOXIC that used to kill the dog for human consumption.

- MORALITY: Did you know the real story of dog slaughters extort the lady who tried to save the dogs lives, forcing her to buy the dog with high price, otherwise the dogs will be beaten brutally to death? Abusing dog is not cruel enough, these bastards are extorting people for money over sympathy to the dogs. How immoral these criminal bastards are? In Asia countries, dogs have reputation of man's best companions, intelligent animals, and guards. With the reputation like this, no one wants to eat dogs, they look at them as pets as their little buddies, just like westerners'. The dogs slaughtered for the meat consumption is seen as very outdated and unfit for the recent standard treatment for dogs/cats as pets in Asian countries nowadays. Keeping the custom dietary of dogs meat consumption destroys the reputation of the country, when the citizens, especially younger generations are eager to make their country as humane to animals treatment as possible as sign of maturity and civilized country, showing dogs/cats are pets not food, to be fit with western countries standard.


Horrible treatment for dogs for Yulin dog meat festival makes majority of Asians angry and ashamed of this barbaric practice.
The reputation of Asian countries are destroyed because of these bastards. These poor, pet thieves, uneducated, barbaric inhuman people killing these stolen pets with their abuse power in front of public eyes, even extorting animal lovers for their money, serving dogs/cats meat with no health standard and possibly contain rabies disease, without realizing how barbaric they are making the image of Asians are primitive, dog/cat eaters and animal abusers... We Asians love our dogs and cats like you westerners do! Only very small minority people eat dogs/cats, while the majority of Asians around the world in fact DO NOT EAT DOGS AND CATS. It's disrespectful to see how many nasty and racist comments are hating towards Asians over dogs/cats meat consumption, while the majority of Asians are trying their best, imposing the government and doing the action face-to-face with dog meat slaughters to stop the Yulin dog meat festival and any other dog meat consumption in the first place before the interruption of international petition.

By the way, there is no such thing as dog meat consumption in my family tradition. My ancestry is from southern China (the country you heard where Yulin dog meat festival is held) so are the Chinese community in my country. They love their dogs as one of their family members, hating the Yulin dog meat festival not because of the choice of meat consumption, but because of the morality, the country reputation, and animal abuse issues. I do not eat bear paws, shark fin soup, tiger bone and any other exotic and endangered species.

Here are english news for you.
http://www.voanews.com/content/chin...ty/2830470.html
http://www.dailyo.in/politics/stopy...ory/1/4431.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d-10326736.html

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Instructor
#11 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 7:27 AM
@BloodyScholastic Thank you for the info you shared with us. It's definitely nice to get some info from the inside rather than just hearing from western media.

Since you're here, could you confirm (or hopefully, deny) two stories that I read about? The first one, which is more likely to be true, is the fact that people in China sometimes serve live fish. In an interview I read, a live carp was deep fried and served while still breathing and moving, because they said it's considered a delicacy in China. Do you know if that really happens? Eating still-moving animals?
The other story was on a link I found on twitter, and it was an incredibly gruesome and disturbing article (with photos) about some kind of place where they make an human fetus soup? And rich people eat it because it's supposed to be extremely nutritional? I know this was probably a hoax article, but I can't erase those horrifying pictures from my mind and I would love this myth to be officially busted.
Thank you and sorry for the OT, but since we are talking about China and eating weird things, I thought I might as well ask.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 3:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrymato
serve live fish.


Sorry, but that reminded me of a story my mom told me about one of her friends slipping a live goldfish in her beer at a bar... She was very startled. Luckily, the fish survived (I don't know how). THIS is why you don't drink near aquariums!
#13 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 11:08 AM Last edited by BloodyScholastic : 23rd Jun 2015 at 1:59 PM.
@Gabrymato

You mean Yin Yang Yu, right? Well I can't speak more about Yin Yang Yu. I don't live in China and I haven't encountered any living animal that has been through cooked process served on plate. That method of serving fish while still alive does not exist in my country, Indonesia. In my culture here, every animal must be dead and fully cooked before gets eaten. Even there are some people here don't have courage to eat raw fish in sushi because of the possible bacteria or worm eggs attached to that raw fish flesh. The nearest Chinese serving fish tradition my community celebrate is Yu Sheng. It is a Chinese New Year dish, basically salad with raw salmon fish to celebrate prosperity. Nothing alive.

Yin Yang Yu is real happened in China and with different name and serving method in Japan. I heard the serving method was banned in Taiwan due to cruel preparation of treating fish to keep it alive after gone through painful cooking process. The purpose of that serving is to preserve the freshness. The more fresh the better.

Every country has its own culture, means different culture has its own food. If you feel serving live animal is weird, I can feel serving cheese with maggots and cake made from blood in Europe country are weird. In France there are dishes from horse meat and snails and liver from force-fed duck. In five-star scaled restaurant with European dishes served, my partner can't stand blue cheese due its strong smell and horrible taste. We can't stop thinking how that kind of cheese can be served like that and how European people can eat it.

I was shocked to read an article, the author is raising a baffling question about different culture menu eaten for breakfast. Why does westerner find it weird that specific dishes that aren't in her breakfast list, dumpling and soup eaten for breakfast? Even added with sentence "Is it a kind of joke?" < I know you author tries to be funny but that sentence sounds really rude and no respect for country with different culture from yours.

I don't usually eat the menu listed by that author on that site for breakfast. Chinese food can be eaten anytime, anywhere, and not limited for specific period of time. Right now I'm munching that no. 9 menu in the list: sticky rice wrapped in leaves filled with salted duck egg and pork inside as a snack in the evening in my left hand while my right hand typing on keyboard. Problem? By the way this sticky rice is called ba cang in Chinese Hokkien or zong zi in Chinese Mandarin.
I eat dumplings, soup, pizza, ice cream, french fries and whatever the hell I want in the morning, is that really matter?

Human foetus soup is proven 100% FAKE .

It's an art performance with the actual purpose to protest cannibalism. Mainstream media got it wrong and spread it worldwide to cause misleading among international attention. I can't believe people fall for that bizarre and lie story on internet easily without checking the validity of the source first. When I saw that disturbing image for the first time, I was sure it must be 99% hoax. There is no way a person committing cannibalism let his bizarre picture eating human flesh spread on internet. Common sense, people. Best guessing for person who is really committing cannibalism eats human flesh in quiet and in hiding place without anyone knowing. Let Chinese people live in China answering your question: http://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-tha...do-such-a-thing If you find an article of a story of person claiming he found a dragon with dragon picture, will you believe that in the first place? Of course not.

Something to add regarding eating dogs and cats thing.

I aware that people can pick any food they want to eat and what shouldn't be eaten. Food is part of culture that varies from country to country. People in country X eat insects, donkey, sea urchin, whale while people in country Y find the dishes eaten by people live in country X are weird, unusual, and bizarre. People in country X see people in country Y has weird and bizarre method of serving food with unusual animal part and unusual process. Muslim people don't eat pigs while westerners and non-Muslim people eat pigs as regular diet. Hindu people in India don't eat cows, they regard cows as emotional and nurturing animals just like westerners regard dogs as emotional and intelligent animals that should have been pets not food. Every country has its own weirdness, uniqueness, and perception in cuisine culture.

Sure there's no denying that in Asian countries people love to explore unique cuisines from unusual animals. I eat animal organs such as chicken liver and intestine. Those are delicacy and I know Americans feel eating animal organs is weird. I even eat chicken head but I don't like eating chicken feet, it doesn't has much meaty part and doesn't taste good to me. Of course culture cannot stop people from eating specific animals, such as bats, crocodiles, snakes, and any other exotic animals that what makes people from other country find it weird and unusual. Sure people can eat certain animals while those animals perceived as pets. People can keep chicken, pigs, cows as pets while they can eat chicken, pigs, cows like regular food. I have turtle pet and I eat turtle. That turtle delicacy is a different species from my turtle pet, bred specially for food not for pet. Of course people can eat dogs and cats as their choice of food, because dogs and cats are no different than chicken, pigs, cows. Thing to add is, the implementation of eating dogs is far more complicated than eating other exotic animals. It's a human perception to perceive animals that should have been pets not food, the culture, the legality, food grade safety, country reputation, and more issues to deal with.

Dogs for meat consumption in China and several Asian countries are stolen pets and stray dogs. Dog slaughters donít have meat farming certificate or food industry license. Ironically dog eaters donít know and donít care where the dog meat they eat coming from. Eating dogs from stolen pets that belong to someone is really sick, disgusting, wrong, and crime in moral term. Eating stray dogs is as bad as eating random rats you found on random street. We donít know what stray dogs eat. These stray dogs probably eat trash, shit and carrying rabies disease and worms. Thereís probably toxic in dog meat because in several cases in news the dogs are poisoned to be killed. The situation is not in apocalyptic, not in war, not in the bad situation where food is scarce to find, job opportunities are everywhere, food is everywhere, lots of food variety. But these people choose to eat stolen pets & stray animals. How uncivilized these eaters are.

Please keep in mind that only several rural regions, only few people in China eat dogs. Not all people. Majority of people live in China, especially live in cities and from middle class do not eat dogs. They love their dogs like family members. Overseas Chinese are against dog meat consumption, including me, my family, and my community thinking eating dogs is really disgusting and immoral. Taiwan bans selling dog meat. Taiwanese think that eating dogs is cruel and backward. Dog meat is illegal in Hong Kong. Animal abusers will be fined and dog slaughters will be sentenced in jail. Dog meat consumption in South Korea has been rapidly declining due to younger generations there donít want to eat dogs. Only older generations do. Dog meat consumption in several Southeast Asia countries has been declining. Please check google for more info.

This dog meat protest is not meant to against eating dog meat culture, but more likely to stop people from stealing dog pets to be delicacy menu, preventing eating unhealthy stray dog meat with possibly carrying rabies disease, protesting any form of animal abuse, ceasing bad image of their countries on international level. They, people who protest and donít eat dogs, must have been sick and tired of international perception of how cruel, uncivilized and immoral their country people are, the image of eating animals that should have been pets while they themselves donít eat those animal regarded as pets.

You can imagine how angry we are hearing comments like ďAsians are dog eatersĒ Even when I saw an article China mass dog wedding (no correlation with dog meat consumption whatsoever), people commenting, ďDog eatersĒ, ďDog eatersĒ, ďWhy donít they eat them?Ē, ďThese people can keep these dogs then eat them later, hahaha.Ē With HIGHLY INSULTING AND OFFENSIVE MANNER, generalizing all Asians are dog eaters while in fact NOT.

They think commenting like that is funny?!

Donít think how rude, ignorant, wrong, and assholes they are?!

In reality we donít deny there are Asians love eating dog meat but majority donít eat dogs and love dogs as pets. We realized dog meat is a choice of food for several people but educated and civilized people know that the method for serving dog meat is really wrong, unethical, inhumane, crime, and unhealthy compared to other choice of animal meat for consumption.
By the way eating dogs isnít happened only in Asia, it is happened in European countries and other countries. Please check Wikipedia for the info. In my hometown there is no such thing as dog meat for consumption. We love dogs. Dogs in my hometown are everywhere even Muslim people keep dogs as pets. In somewhere places in my country thereís actually dog meat culture but itís very minor and very small number of people eating dog meat that probably comes from stray dogs or abandoned pets.

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Instructor
#14 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 11:44 AM
Thanks for answering my questions!
I do agree with most of your points.
And you're right, here in Europe we have our fair share of foods that can be considered bizarre or disgusting. Very seasoned cheese in the first place... and horse meat too. In fact I had never realized horse meat wasn't a thing in the rest of the world before someone pointed it out here on MTS a few years ago. I've eaten it all my life :/

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
#15 Old 24th Jun 2015 at 1:48 AM
I don't see the idea of eating horse meat as taboo/revolting/shocking as dog meat, but it's more to unusual, uncommon and rare.

First when I heard European countries have horse meat dishes, I was stunned because I thought people there don't eat it because horse is regarded as a quite intelligent animal and has high useful value for transportation and cavalry. Seeing horse is a large herbivore animal with big meaty part, it doesn't surprise me if horse can be a meat source like beef. Maybe the idea of eating horse meat is quite shocking for country with its citizens that has eating taboo for specific animals and perception of how uncommon of specific animals to be meat source is.

Horse meat does exist in my country as horse satay but it is not popular, only small number of people eat it because of the limited availability.
Horse meat has been debated and asked by many Muslim people here, is it categorized halal or haram to eat (permitted or forbidden) by their religion laws. That's why horse meat isn't much popular here compared to mutton, beef and chicken.

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 24th Jun 2015 at 3:32 AM
I live in southern Ontario, Canada and I know of three people who eat horse on a regular basis. One of them even left horse heart in a jar in my fridge once... *shudders* (it's not the horse part that freaks me out - it's the heart...)
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 7:11 AM
I don't think its the fact that people eat dogs that bothers people, its how inhumanely they are cooked. For example the dogs being boiled alive or skinned before they are boiled. Its a terrible truth, but that is socially acceptable in that region of the globe. Not that I condone any of that fucking shit. It really isnt any different than how cows and chickens are processed in the masses for American consumption. Although when I learned about all of the gruesome ways dogs are prepared as food in China it has opened my eyes to how inhumane animals are prepared in America as well, and I have been making an effort to eat less meat.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 13th Jul 2015 at 3:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
Today I saw on the Sims' Facebook page an ad suggesting that eating dogs is wrong, since they are "man's best friend" (see this change.org petition).

I want to know your opinions.

I, personally, don't see what is wrong with eating dog/cat and here are my reasons:
1) Humans named dogs "man's best friend" - no one else.They'd eat a human corpse.
2) Pets are objectively no different from farming animals. Do people eat chickens? Yes. Do they have them as pets? Yes.
3) Different cultures eat different foods.

I will, however, agree that the way that people treat animals can be uncalled for (forcing them to live in cages for their entire life), but if this is the main reason, it can't be ignored that chickens/pigs/cows are also mistreated internationally and, while this get some publicity, I've never seen a cow's face on an ad against animal cruelty.


Sources:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._dead_body.html
http://www.mypetchicken.com/about-chickens/



I guess some cultures aren't different so I guess it's not always wrong but yes pets are different than farming animals. More people have dogs as pets than chickens.
Personally while I'm sure chickens have some intelligence it's not the same to me as eating a dog because for me eating a dog is like eating my own brethren. They have more abilities than a chicken/are easier to build a relationship with so they are too high on the food chain. I wouldn't eat a rabbit for the same reason (yes I know rabbits are prey animals) but I know some people eat them. I just wouldn't be able to myself.


Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
As for dogs being man's best friend, just remember that they're essentially tamed wolves, and the wild originals are not particularly friendly. Cats might be friendlier than their larger and wilder relatives, but they're still related to dangerous predators, even if their prey tend to be more manageable for their own size.

Left with little to no choice, I think most people would prefer eating cats or dogs over insects if they had the choice. I can imagine the taste would be better. Eating cats and dogs often happens where food is a bit lacking, and the source of the meat isn't important. Abandoned pets or wild creatures might just be picked off the street and eaten simply because they're a cheap source of meat. I can imagine that they use their muscles (meat) a lot more, so they wouldn't taste as good as a docile, mostly stationary herbivore.

Animal cruelty and keeping animals for eating them later are two separate things. You can care about the animals and make sure they have a good life up until they're chopped up, and that's not cruelty. Predators eat meat, and humans are essentially predators. Wee've just learned how to save our (live) food for later. It doesn't mean we don't care about the animals while they're alive. However, active or passive abuse of animals (beating them, too small pens or cages, malnourishment, and so on) is wrong and will always be wrong.



Although I disagree that a dog isn't more than a descendant from a wolf (that's like saying I should be an asshole because half of my bloodline comes from assholes. I would hope I'm not like them anyway) when they say man's best friend they don't mean every man. They care for their people (although my dog can be too friendly if you saw him outside with people you wouldn't think this creature was descended from wolves. he hates other dogs when we're walking but loves people go figure) just like a wolf would care for their pack.
It would be a difficult choice as morally it would be more difficult to eat a dog since it's the species that I've bonded with but it would be easier to stomach as I hate insects. I can't even stand them to be on my skin *shudders*
Alchemist
#19 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman101
I was waiting for someone to say this! Yay!

The main reason (which has nothing to do with ethics) is kuru (a type of human Mad Cow Disease). Basically, a person eats another person and runs the risk of an incurable, awful death. This disease is the most likely reason why people evolved to -typically- not eat other humans.


You really think that if human meat was in big enough demand for consumption, the CDC couldn't figure out a way to clean it first? Our animal meats (Particularly beef) are soaked in ammonia in an effort to kill as many possibly-transmissible diseases, as well as the visibly diseased cows are killed and not used for anything. We could very easily make human farms for human meats much the same we do cattle/sheep/chickens/whatever.


On-topic, I'm not a fan of the idea. I suppose if you've never had a cat/dog for a pet or see them as being unthinking, unfeeling balls of edible material, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to eat one. I don't think whether you like them or not factors into it either, as I don't like dogs, but would still never eat one. Especially given how many mental qualities they share with human children. (And let me just say, I'm sure that if I'd grown up around cattle/had cows/lambs/chickens/etc as pets, I probably wouldn't be keen on eating them, either.)
As for insects, I don't think I'd have much of a problem with eating them if they didn't still look like insects. Cricket chips, for example, rather than whole fried crickets.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"Science literacy is a vaccine against the charlatans of the world that would exploit your ignorance."~ Neil DeGrasse Tyson
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 7:58 PM
Default Hindus, not all Indians do NOT eat the Sacred Cow.
Indians in India, Britain, and around the world from other Spiritual Paths , enjoy a lovely Sunday Roast Beef , a juicy steak , a beef curry .

"It is evidently known that the cow was sacred and forbidden in the Hindu diet as was all slaughter and violence for food, from ancient Vedic times. Therefore, reverence for cows can be found in all the religion's major texts."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor86
3 is my main and basically only reason to not eat any cats or dogs, while Indians don't like that we eat cows and muslims dislike our pig eating. We simply don't eat dogs or cats. But I would prefer eating cats or dogs over insects, simply because these are still mammals like pigs and cows. And horses, sheep and bunnies I've eaten in the past.

Man's best friend? A lot of people dislike or even hate dogs, but that's a matter of upbringing and training by the owner. We even have a saying for this in Dutch about dogs acting the same like their boss/owner. It depends on the trainer if a dog is a man's best friend.

For me, animal cruelty and abuse purely for fun is a whole different discussion. Animals as part of eating and food prosession is completely normal.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 8:11 PM
I am in a family who does own a commericial fishing vessel. One of the things this boat does is catch LIVE cod, snapper and other delicacy fish for Asian market, and sell to wholesaler. the wholesaler sells to stores and very high end Asian restaurants. the fish are in the restaurant in a tank. customer go in restaurant and order their specific fish. ( picks it out of tank). it is taken to chef who prepares it special to order. It it served fancy fancy COOKED not alive. to customer for a lot of dosh (money).
fishing vessel owner gets about 3 times more per pound for live fish, than dead/ frozen fish.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 8:22 PM
Default Bear meat and more
Bear is really greasy and quite tough, best in a stew. Moose nose soup is a family tradition on one side at least
Pretty sure I had puppy in Thailand .
I ordered "pork " Pad Thai, leaving the restaurant "hut" there was a bitch with about 8 half grown pups chained behind..
There were no pigs on the Island we were told later...
tasted really good, I'd take a double serving next time..
The chocolate coated crickets in Bangkok were amazing, and the Barb cue ones too.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermook
I've had both, or at least I've told I've had both. I've also had way, way more bugs to eat than I really would like. So my thoughts, in no particular order:

Cat tastes horrible. Even with barbecue sauce on it, it's not pulled pork and you can tell. There was really just something off about its texture to me, but I accept that maybe judging cat on "a friend from work takes you to the dodgy-looking stuffed yeast roll vendor" might not be being fair to the meat.

Dog isn't bad. Not "better than steak" but better than poorly prepared venison or overcooked veal. At the time it reminded me of beef, but more on the game animal side of things. I really wouldn't blink an eye at being served dog again. It's probably less challenging than something like bear, which I've been told is really strong tasting and oily.

Insects, I like crickets and ants several different ways, and moths in no possible way ever again.

Squirrel is worse than any of these things. Seriously, it even smells horrible.
Scholar
#23 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 9:53 PM
We eat and we are eaten. I see nothing evil in eating cats and dogs, any more than I see it as evil when a lion, bear or shark eats one of us.

I had dog meat once, but as a rule I try to avoid eating carnivores. Except for bears. Bear jerky's pretty good,
but then again, bears don't necessarily eat rodents and mammals; some live on vegetation, insects, honey, and fish...
Banned
#24 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 12:21 AM
I tend to look at it like this: Would I want to be eaten by something/someone? No I would not. So why eat an animal that likely hasn't done anything to deserve it?
Instructor
#25 Old 21st Aug 2015 at 1:02 AM
This is really difficult to vindicate. Probably even impossible.
But I think that If we really have to eat meat to be healthy (which I am not sure cause the opinions of the experts differs a lot) it is better to eat animals that have a lot of meat. So I think that it is better to kill for example one cow to feed 50 or even more people then to kill one cat which can hardly feed four. I think that making meals from animals with very small amount of meat like lobsters is the biggest problem.

But well making only the big animals suffer is really bad too But I still think that killing less beings is somehow better

It is mostly about emotions for me. I really like cats and dogs. My family has two cats as pets and I would never ever eat a cat because they are friends to me. I believe that If we had a chicken, cow, sheep or whatever as pets I wouldn't be able to eat them too.

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Page 1 of 3
Back to top