PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a 1st time creator?

YumiLovesMe
12th May 2012, 8:15 AM
I've been a member for less then a week but I have lurked around here before teetering on the edge of making an account or staying off-line. Now that I am here I see a lot of creativity in building... I want to make a residen/home based on a comic but I am afraid it will not turn out well... any advice from people who make and upload here?

Saturnfly
12th May 2012, 9:26 AM
Just try and see how you like it. It's not as though once you create something and it doesn't turn out, you can't delete it and try again!
I advise to try and get comfortable with some basic building cheats (moveobjects, allow45degreeangleofrotation, snapobjectstogrid, etc...), as they allow for more realistic houses. It also helps to do a bit of research on colour coordination, textures/ patterns and things.
When I first started building I couldn't even figure out how to lay down foundation, much less build a working garage, lol. You learn as you go, as with many things.
There are also some great threads in this section, and also check out the creativity part of the forums where often very talented people, post pictures of their creations. :)

Also, read the guidelines (create > creator guidelines) which can also be quite helpful. You'll need to follow them pretty closely anyway if your plan is to upload lots.

I found it extremely helpful when starting out, looking up real floorplans and pictures of interior rooms (just google floorplans) and trying to build them as best as possible, with a few minor tweaks of course.

Nysha
12th May 2012, 11:02 AM
I don't know which game you're using, but the nice thing about building is that almost everything which works in TS3 also works in TS2, and vice versa. So, I'd really recommend having a look at this (HUGE) tutorial: Tutorials:Building Great Realistic Houses - From the Ground Up, particularly the subsections at the end. It's full of stuff which makes perfect sense, is useful, and isn't exactly radical or shocking or groundbreaking - but which I at least had never actually thought of until I read the tut. :)

YumiLovesMe
12th May 2012, 11:10 AM
I don't know which game you're using, but the nice thing about building is that almost everything which works in TS3 also works in TS2, and vice versa. So, I'd really recommend having a look at this (HUGE) tutorial: Tutorials:Building Great Realistic Houses - From the Ground Up, particularly the subsections at the end. It's full of stuff which makes perfect sense, is useful, and isn't exactly radical or shocking or groundbreaking - but which I at least had never actually thought of until I read the tut. :)

I have all of the expansion packs for The Sims 2... and the Teen style stuff pack. The Sims 3 is meh... to my knowledge Maxis was not involved with it :'( which makes me sad because I played a lot of Sim games (sim city, and the other Simulators :3). I will take a look at the tutorial but right now I am looking for some new apartments ^_^.

Mootilda
12th May 2012, 4:58 PM
Once you have something interesting, be sure to post in the Create -> Creator Feedback forum.