Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   CAS Parts (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   Creating a face mask (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=367270)

sammann89 30th Aug 2009 12:16 AM

Creating a face mask

I'm creating a famous sim and really want to get it spot on so i've finally resigned to the fact that i'm going to have to learn how to use Delphy's CTU and make a face mask.
However this will be the first thing i've ever done in the sense of 'getting a bit more technical with the sims and not just creating my sims with CC and the slider hacker' so basically if anyone is prepared to talk on a simple level to me about where the hell to start i would really really appreciate it.
I've read different tutorials and have fiddled around but i'm not getting anywhere and getting to the point where i feel that maybe i'm going to have to accept that i'm just not cut out for this stuff.
I'm not even sure what i should extract to create a face mask, the actual face or costume makeup?

Raggborg 30th Aug 2009 8:41 PM

http://www.sims2wiki.info/Sims_3:Cr...ew_Base_Texture

You extract the textures of the costume makeup.

sammann89 30th Aug 2009 9:28 PM

Thanks for the reply, I looked at the tutorial you linked, and it says to extract the base texture but as you can't on costume makeup I assume that you just click on the button that says extract textures, correct?
Then you get three files, the first one when opened is a small black square the second looks like this:

and the third file looks like this:

what file am I meant to be editing?

Raggborg 30th Aug 2009 10:09 PM

The red and yellow ones control the channels and coloring options. The other one is the texture of the mask, you would have to change them both . It is easy to use the ctu tool and you should just try to make changes and load the texture with the 3d display to see what tou have changed. I have only made one face mask so i can`t help much. Good luck.

sammann89 30th Aug 2009 10:12 PM

Thanks, i'll see if I can concentrate and do a series of trial and errors and see what I can come up with!

harryishere 30th Aug 2009 11:15 PM

what i did for the third image was make it all white, and were the lips are coloured it in yellow and were the eyebrows were coloured it red, this meant when in CAS i could change the colour of the lips and eyebrows, without having to change the whole face mask

sammann89 30th Aug 2009 11:43 PM

I'm sorry, I don't completely follow. So with the third image you made the whole image white, then did you put some image of the face you want on that and then change the colour of the lips and eyebrows to yellow and red? Otherwise how did you know where the lips and eyebrows exactly were? I'm sorry if i'm just being completely stupid, i swear my summer break has caused my brain to die slowly...

xvampire 3rd Jan 2011 12:59 AM

I'm wondering the same thig as sammann89, could you please tell us a bit more how you did it?

evilyetsofluffy 28th Apr 2013 4:15 AM

Guess...

Quote: Originally posted by sammann89
I'm sorry, I don't completely follow. So with the third image you made the whole image white, then did you put some image of the face you want on that and then change the colour of the lips and eyebrows to yellow and red? Otherwise how did you know where the lips and eyebrows exactly were? I'm sorry if i'm just being completely stupid, i swear my summer break has caused my brain to die slowly...

So I've never successfully created anything, but I DO know how to use imaging programs somewhat. Don't take my word that said method works, in other words, but here's how you could do what was described.

All you need is a program that can work with layers. First, create a layer on top of the background layer. Then color in the eyebrows and lips in the new layer. Finally, go to the background layer and either delete the layer, then create a new, white background layer, or (since in Photoshop you can't do that) color the whole, already-existing background white. Since I think it needs to be one layer, you can then right-click on the top layer and select "merge down". And you're done!