Mod The Sims
Page 1 of 2

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Modding Discussion (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   More than 5 traits? (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=348882)

Gangreless 21st Jun 2009 1:08 AM

More than 5 traits?

I was wondering if anyone has found a way (a mod) to override the 5 trait limit. I know if you unlock the hidden ones, then many of the original Sims have 7 or 8, but if you try to change them, you have to remove the extra ones and are again limited to 5. I think the awesomemod had something like this, but alas, if freezes my game at the loading screen.

ChapperIce 21st Jun 2009 4:28 AM

Isn't it six traits? God, have I lost all my abilities to count?

Nysha 21st Jun 2009 4:49 AM

Well, the number of traits is hard coded into the UI - so it's unlikely that's changeable. It may be possible to make a mod which uses a different dialogue, or a pie menu to do this - I haven't read the Awesomemod's rtfm, but that's probably how it's done.

Sounds like your best solution is to work out why Awesomemod is crashing you

Gangreless 21st Jun 2009 5:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Well, the number of traits is hard coded into the UI - so it's unlikely that's changeable. It may be possible to make a mod which uses a different dialogue, or a pie menu to do this - I haven't read the Awesomemod's rtfm, but that's probably how it's done.

Sounds like your best solution is to work out why Awesomemod is crashing you

No, it's 5. If you play with one of the built in sims, and they have hidden traits, then they can have 6, but when choosing traits for a custom sim (or changing them with testingcheats), you can only do 5.

As far as the awesomemod, well, I'm not totally inept with this Sims stuff (or programming). I moved out ALL custom content and kept just that mod, also deleted the scriptcache, then started the game. It froze. I moved out awesomemod, so I had NO custom content at all, and the game worked fine. Then, I put back all my cc minus awesomemod, the game still loaded fine. Then, I put back awesomemod, and again, it froze. So, no awesomemod for me. Apparently, it's a common problem which the modgods over at MATY have no solution for. *tear*

Also, about the number of traits being hardcoded into UI... If you have the mod that unlocks the hidden traits, you will see that some sims show more than 5 traits, you can actually see them in the UI, a scroll bar is added so you can click the down arrow and see them. So, it seems that there may be a limit (8?), in which case, we just need a mod that unlocks those hidden "slots".

With awesomemod, you have to use the console and type in addtrait <traitname>. Apparently it won't actually show up in the UI, but it does give the active Sim that trait.

MaclimesZero 21st Jun 2009 5:22 AM

FYI, Awesomemod crashes the game during the load screen 2/3 of the time. The other 1/3 of the time, it works fine. COMPLETELY RANDOM.

*shrug*

Nysha 21st Jun 2009 5:25 AM

But then, is that on the simology panel (or whatever they call it now)? Is there any evidence to suggest that the trait chooser panel has the same potential - given that trying to use it with more than 5 traits seems to eat traits?

Gangreless 21st Jun 2009 6:43 AM

But then, is that on the simology panel (or whatever they call it now)? Is there any evidence to suggest that the trait chooser panel has the same potential - given that trying to use it with more than 5 traits seems to eat traits?

Yes, that is on the simology panel. As far as the actual trait chooser panel, it seems to me that if we were somehow able to unlock those extra slots that the hidden traits are able to take up, then the trait panel would no longer eat those traits. They've got to have closely linked coding. Someone more clever than I will have to figure that one out, though.

Nysha 21st Jun 2009 7:07 AM

You assume EA do things intuitively. I'm surprised all the autorooves haven't cured you of that yet .

Srikandi 21st Jun 2009 7:49 AM

Well, the number of traits is hard coded into the UI - so it's unlikely that's changeable.

The UI is moddable. Somebody's already modding it

Ravvid: Phase -0 21st Jun 2009 8:01 AM

AwesomeMod already allows more traits at once, etc. Don't use it with an enabler, instead you use a console code to circumvent the limit.

Gangreless 21st Jun 2009 8:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ravvid: Phase -0
AwesomeMod already allows more traits at once, etc. Don't use it with an enabler, instead you use a console code to circumvent the limit.

*le sigh* Clearly some people don't read before they post. Next time, at least bother reading the first post.

@ Whiterider
Well, I have a strong desire for order in all things so I hope in vain that others do as well. I should have learned my lesson with that train wreck of an ep Pets, but, no... But, I do know that the UI has the ability to show more than 5 traits and that sims have the ability to have more than 5 traits, so, logically we should be able to give them more than 5 traits. I'm sure it'll happen, just a matter of time.

Ravvid: Phase -0 21st Jun 2009 9:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gangreless
*le sigh* Clearly some people don't read before they post. Next time, at least bother reading the first post.

@ Whiterider
Well, I have a strong desire for order in all things so I hope in vain that others do as well. I should have learned my lesson with that train wreck of an ep Pets, but, no... But, I do know that the UI has the ability to show more than 5 traits and that sims have the ability to have more than 5 traits, so, logically we should be able to give them more than 5 traits. I'm sure it'll happen, just a matter of time.

I did read, but there are such jewels as new versions. One was just released as a matter of fact. Don't assume someone doesn't read simply because they are continuing to tell you that AwesomeMod is the way to go. That just means that its useless to try other ways and you might as well spend time on fixing the problem by reading the report threads like a good percentage of the populace who couldn't use it did. Pesc is making all kinds of bug fixes, threads on how to fix it yourself, etc. You didn't even have to subsidize his income.

Even if you do circumvent the system without the mod, you will be using a standalone hack that intervenes with the machinations of other mods that include other hacks. This will be a less feasible scenario in the long run.

Moar update -> moar working.
moar nonsensical mocking due to frustration -> .... wait longer for more help that could have been more precise and solution oriented.

It will eventually work, just give it time. The game is hardly out and hackers need time to patch their work into a good foundation that other mods can stand on top of while not conflicting. Also delete the caches MORE than once. Do every solution that is listed several times. Getting it to work is a dice roll well rolled, however. When you land on the right number, its a fun one! That is just how hacks are. I had the "common unfixable" problem too, and when you go in a few circles of fixes (you may have done it a few times, but it can take up to 5 cycles) the cache might decide to work, not work or give you an error report that is useful.

kawaiimiyo 22nd Jun 2009 9:07 PM

I use awesome mod as well for this ^_^ And honestly I have never had a single problem with it! never had a game crash, or noticed a single bug o.O
and the 5 trait limit override is great, lol able to make my sim have all the "Helpful" traits like green thumb/handy etc, without having to sacrifice for the useless "Personality" traits (i.e. insane) lol...

for awesome mod its at least worth a try , sure it crashes for some people, but for others it never does, and for those who can get it working without problems =) Its a pretty great tool!

oh and about the traits not showing up in the UI, or there being an 8 trait limit etc... o.O my sim has 11 traits and they all show up in her sim info.... it lets me scroll down to see them all.... if thats what you meant, ...

rekrapshyguy 6th Jul 2009 5:40 PM

I have a question about the awesome mod trait cheat. How do you use it?

When I'm creating a Sim, I press SHIFT + CTRL + Windows Key + C (I've got Vista) and the blue strip appears on the top. I then type in addtrait <traitname>. I assume that you type the trait name where it says <traitname>, right? So, let's say I want the brave trait. I tried typing in addtrait brave, and it didn't work. So, I tried typing in addtrait <brave>, and it still didn't work. I even tried addtraitbrave, didn't work, addtrait<brave>, it didn't work, I simply tried typing <brave>, and it didn't work, and finally I tried brave, and it still didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

DarkBlue 6th Jul 2009 6:03 PM

@Gangreless
Assuming you have the DLL from the framework installed properly, you may have a similar issue that I used to - every time I would delete the cache, the game would CTD the first time I ran, but after that it would work fine. Have you tried deleting it and trying to run it multiple times after that?

@rekrapshyguy
You have to type it like "addtrait Brave" (without the quotes, but the capitals are important).

Gangreless 6th Jul 2009 10:16 PM

As of about 3 days ago, I was able to get AwesomeMod to work... by no logical means at all. Perhaps it was the updated version, but just the last time I downloaded to try it again, it worked.

and rekraphsyguy, as indicated, you must use the capitals. If the trait is two words... say, Green Thumb, you have to write it as one word. So you'd have to type "addtrait GreenThumb"

and any Mod this sees this, feel free to close this thread.

NexRad 7th Jul 2009 8:05 PM

Wondering if you were still looking.....

I was wondering if anyone has found a way (a mod) to override the 5 trait limit. I know if you unlock the hidden ones, then many of the original Sims have 7 or 8, but if you try to change them, you have to remove the extra ones and are again limited to 5. I think the awesomemod had something like this, but alas, if freezes my game at the loading screen.

...for this type of mod. Let me know if you are.

Nex

NexRad 7th Jul 2009 8:34 PM

Nevermind....

Quote: Originally posted by NexRad
...for this type of mod. Let me know if you are.

Nex

Counted on something working and it didn't. Oh well, try, try again. Also, the cheat youy were referring to, "addtrait", does not seem to work for my patched version of TS3.

rekrapshyguy 7th Jul 2009 9:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by NexRad
Counted on something working and it didn't. Oh well, try, try again. Also, the cheat youy were referring to, "addtrait", does not seem to work for my patched version of TS3.

I'm in the same boat as you NexRad... I have a patched version of TS3 also, and so maybe that's why this isn't working? I reinstaled awesom mod, went into Create A Sim, went to the trait menu, entered "addtrait Brave" (without the quotes, of course), hit enter, saw the little blue strip go away, but nothing happened.

Is it supposed to show? Or is it just invisible, but still there?

Snaitf 7th Jul 2009 9:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rekrapshyguy
I'm in the same boat as you NexRad... I have a patched version of TS3 also, and so maybe that's why this isn't working? I reinstaled awesom mod, went into Create A Sim, went to the trait menu, entered "addtrait Brave" (without the quotes, of course), hit enter, saw the little blue strip go away, but nothing happened.

Is it supposed to show? Or is it just invisible, but still there?

Maybe I'm wrong, as I've never used it, but I thought you would need to use the cheat in the game, not CAS...?

Saikatsu 7th Jul 2009 10:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Snaitf
Maybe I'm wrong, as I've never used it, but I thought you would need to use the cheat in the game, not CAS...?

That's where I've used it, and haven't had any trouble. Any traits beyond 5 will cause the list in the sim's live mode info panel to scroll, but the CAS list will still only show 5 if you use Edit in CAS (debug menu).

Pikachu9078 19th Dec 2010 9:14 AM

I have a sim with 6 traits. although I don't know how she got the 6th trait

alistair1234567890 25th Apr 2011 4:25 PM

No, it's 5. If you play with one of the built in sims, and they have hidden traits, then they can have 6, but when choosing traits for a custom sim (or changing them with testingcheats), you can only do 5.

As far as the awesomemod, well, I'm not totally inept with this Sims stuff (or programming). I moved out ALL custom content and kept just that mod, also deleted the scriptcache, then started the game. It froze. I moved out awesomemod, so I had NO custom content at all, and the game worked fine. Then, I put back all my cc minus awesomemod, the game still loaded fine. Then, I put back awesomemod, and again, it froze. So, no awesomemod for me. Apparently, it's a common problem which the modgods over at MATY have no solution for. *tear*

Also, about the number of traits being hardcoded into UI... If you have the mod that unlocks the hidden traits, you will see that some sims show more than 5 traits, you can actually see them in the UI, a scroll bar is added so you can click the down arrow and see them. So, it seems that there may be a limit (8?), in which case, we just need a mod that unlocks those hidden "slots".

With awesomemod, you have to use the console and type in addtrait <traitname>. Apparently it won't actually show up in the UI, but it does give the active Sim that trait.

No actually because if you have this mod in your package files which unlocks hidden traits

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=343046

and then you fill up your trait slots with the hidden traits and then you

1) Quit the game and save
2) Then go to Documents/Electronic arts/The sims 3/Mods/Packages
3) Remove the hidden traits file
4) Go back into the game
5) Fill up the traits slots
6) Quit the game and save again
7) Put the hidden traits file back into your packages folder
8) Go back into the game and va-la, you have your 10 traits

Im still looking for a way to get more traits though

twallan 25th Apr 2011 7:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alistair1234567890

http://www.modthesims.info/d/410544

And then use an interaction such as MasterController's "Advanced \ Traits \ Change Traits" to specify the traits you want.

Eghosa 12th Jun 2011 5:14 AM

Thx for the tip, but.....

Quote: Originally posted by alistair1234567890
No actually because if you have this mod in your package files which unlocks hidden traits

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=343046

and then you fill up your trait slots with the hidden traits and then you

1) Quit the game and save
2) Then go to Documents/Electronic arts/The sims 3/Mods/Packages
3) Remove the hidden traits file
4) Go back into the game
5) Fill up the traits slots
6) Quit the game and save again
7) Put the hidden traits file back into your packages folder
8) Go back into the game and va-la, you have your 10 traits

I think you mean "voila" :p