Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Sims 2 (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=558)
-   -   Medieval Sims? (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=497754)

StephHan 3rd Mar 2013 5:03 PM

Medieval Sims?

Okay, this may be one of the dumber questions you have encountered here for a while, but I have to ask it. I've tried Google and ended up more confused than I already am..

I keep running across opportunities to buy The Sims 2 Medieval. This is something I might be interested in, but I am unable to get the details I would like to know about it.

Could someone who has played or at least knows about it, please answer a few questions for me? Is Medieval Sims an expansion pack,a stuff pack or is it stand alone? If it's an expansion, can it be combined with other expansion packs? Is it a resource hog? Whatever it is, what is your overall opinion or impression of it? Is it worth buying?

I know this sounds crazy, but do far I haven't been able to clarify these things by reading about it anywhere else, and the people on this site seem to know about everything.

a_az13_a 3rd Mar 2013 5:19 PM

Firstly, it isn't 'The Sims 2 Medieval', since it runs off the Sims 3 game engine. That probably means this is the wrong place to ask too, but I'll answer your questions anyway. It's a standalone, and as far as I know only one EP has been released for it (Pirates and Nobles). It will be more of a resource hog than TS2 since it's built from the TS3 engine. It does offer a slightly different way of playing The Sims, a little like the stories series, since it involves quests, but the gameplay can sometimes feel a bit limited. It can get boring after a while too, IMO. I'd say it's worth buying as long as you're sure your computer can handle it, and as long as you can find it for not too much money (maybe second hand off Amazon), but it's probably not the kind of thing you'll want to play all the time like a lot of people do with TS2.

StephHan 3rd Mar 2013 5:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by a_az13_a
Firstly, it isn't 'The Sims 2 Medieval', since it runs off the Sims 3 game engine. That probably means this is the wrong place to ask too, but I'll answer your questions anyway. It's a standalone, and as far as I know only one EP has been released for it (Pirates and Nobles). It will be more of a resource hog than TS2 since it's built from the TS3 engine. It does offer a slightly different way of playing The Sims, a little like the stories series, since it involves quests, but the gameplay can sometimes feel a bit limited. It can get boring after a while too, IMO. I'd say it's worth buying as long as you're sure your computer can handle it, and as long as you can find it for not too much money (maybe second hand off Amazon), but it's probably not the kind of thing you'll want to play all the time like a lot of people do with TS2.

Thank you for answering. Just before I clicked back here to check this thread I found the Medieval Sims Wiki, and discovered that it is not Sims 2 and is stand alone. I think I was confused because I kept finding it while I was searching for Sims 2 expansion packs, so I assumed it was Sims 2, but couldn't find it in the EA Sims 2 stuff.
Even though my system can probably handle it, I think I'll just stick with my Sims 2 and create a medieval hood. I really don't have any interest in Sims 3 at this point.

Saturnfly 4th Mar 2013 3:18 AM

TS2 medieval 'hoods are awesome with a bit of effort put into them.

FranH 4th Mar 2013 12:32 PM

If you're new to finding medieval stuff for the game, I strongly suggest this website for all kinds of period CC:

http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/

Otherwise known as the Plumbob Keep, they have tons of stuff that will make any medieval hood come to life.

StephHan 4th Mar 2013 2:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
If you're new to finding medieval stuff for the game, I strongly suggest this website for all kinds of period CC:

http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/

Otherwise known as the Plumbob Keep, they have tons of stuff that will make any medieval hood come to life.

Thank you! I just started searching for medieval content yesterday after I made the decision to finally make the hood.

maxon 4th Mar 2013 3:57 PM

I thought TS Medieval was insultingly bad. Dreadful game.

ansleon 4th Mar 2013 5:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I thought TS Medieval was insultingly bad. Dreadful game.

I enjoyed it for what it was, which was a completely quest-driven type of game. It wasn't really a sandbox at all, although it seems modders have done a lot with it. If you like to play scenarios and quests, then it's an enjoyable game, but it has limited re-playability. It doesn't have the open world and other features of TS3, rather it's more like they extracted the quest engine from TS3, threw medieval clothes and job titles on it, and sold it to the public.

To be honest I enjoyed Medieval about as much as I've enjoyed TS3 as a whole.

Lerf1950 4th Mar 2013 6:27 PM

You'll like your own Medieval neighborhood much better. The Sims Medieval one is already done for you. You can change some of the furnishings and move a few things around, but you're stuck with the few buildings that come with it, which cannot be changed in any way. You can't build anything, and decorating is pretty limited in its own way.

And it's not even a good role-playing game since you never actually see how you finish a quest. So you have to run around the neighborhood doing something, then go into the woods and get told "Then the frog laughed at you and you killed the bear. The end."

So it's kind of a failure both as a Sims game and as a role-playing game.

Sims99Fanatic 6th Mar 2013 8:45 PM

There are a lot of other medieval sites out there not just Plumb Bob Keep for Sims 2 medieval content. One I know of right of is Medieval Smithy

StephHan 7th Mar 2013 4:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lerf1950
You'll like your own Medieval neighborhood much better. The Sims Medieval one is already done for you. You can change some of the furnishings and move a few things around, but you're stuck with the few buildings that come with it, which cannot be changed in any way. You can't build anything, and decorating is pretty limited in its own way.

And it's not even a good role-playing game since you never actually see how you finish a quest. So you have to run around the neighborhood doing something, then go into the woods and get told "Then the frog laughed at you and you killed the bear. The end."

I don't think I would like The Sims Medieval at all. I'm not a fan of TS3, I played it at a friends house when it first came out and decided I like my TS2 better. So that's one count against it, and even though I'm not a creator the aspect of decorating and making my own changes to my houses and buildings are a big part of the enjoyment of the game for me.
I've located and downloaded an awesome hood layout, and started a search for hood decorations. But I made the mistake of looking in my downloads folder. OMG! how did it get that bad? I'm pretty picky about downloads, have organized folders, etc but a while back I went on a lot DLing spree and all that content that the Clean Pak installer just sort of dumps in the folder is "there". I'm thinking I need to clean up that mess before I go any further, but it's so bad that I'm thinking a complete wipe and re-start might be easier.

Lerf1950 7th Mar 2013 4:49 PM

What I do for my various historical and Fantasy neighborhoods is to make a separate Sims 2 folder by renaming my old one. That way the medieval stuff can have it's own downloads folder, and I can add appropriate default items and mods.

StephHan 7th Mar 2013 5:02 PM

What I do for my various historical and Fantasy neighborhoods is to make a separate Sims 2 folder by renaming my old one. That way the medieval stuff can have it's own downloads folder, and I can add appropriate default items and mods.

Do you mean you have a regular sims folder, and a medieval sims folder and exchange them depending on which kind you're going to play? I never thought of that.

It doesn't mess anything up to switch folders as long as you're not going to play the other hoods, right?

Sunbee 7th Mar 2013 5:08 PM

I use a separate AGS permagame. But yes, you can swap download folders. Make sure that any hacks that are part download/part game installation files are duplicated in both, though. Not sure what it'd do to the game if you took half of one of those complex things out and then ran it, but I bet it would be interesting in a not-good way, so why risk it?

ansleon 7th Mar 2013 6:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StephHan
I'm thinking I need to clean up that mess before I go any further, but it's so bad that I'm thinking a complete wipe and re-start might be easier.

Or you could use the Download Organizer, Clean Installer, and other tools to help you clean up the mess. I did this recently, took me an evening to do, and it was well worth the time. As I have 8k+ files (around 3 gigs) of custom content...some of which may not even be possible to find and download anymore...I would never want to wipe and start over.

And now, keeping it all organized is very easy, and I know where to find anything should I need to do so.

neriana 7th Mar 2013 8:21 PM

Yep. It's not even really a roleplaying game at all, just a (not very good) Sims game with pop-ups that have a medieval fantasy flavor. RPG + Sims would be great, and probably the best way to come close to a tabletop RPG experience, but it hasn't happened yet.

StephHan 7th Mar 2013 11:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ansleon
Or you could use the Download Organizer, Clean Installer, and other tools to help you clean up the mess. I did this recently, took me an evening to do, and it was well worth the time. As I have 8k+ files (around 3 gigs) of custom content...some of which may not even be possible to find and download anymore...I would never want to wipe and start over.
And now, keeping it all organized is very easy, and I know where to find anything should I need to do so.

I have the Clean Pak installer, I use it to install lots, sims, etc. But it doesn't seem to help much with the sorting process. What is the Download Organizer? Is it something that I can find here on MTS?

Quote: Originally posted by neriana
Yep. It's not even really a roleplaying game at all, just a (not very good) Sims game with pop-ups that have a medieval fantasy flavor. RPG + Sims would be great, and probably the best way to come close to a tabletop RPG experience, but it hasn't happened yet.

As far as I can tell EA hasn't even come close to a RPG version. Even The Sims Online wasn't a RPG. When I'm not playing The Sims, I play a couple different MMORPG's. I wish They would come out with some kind of RPG, but then I'm worried it would be another Second Life. Not that I hate Second life. I played it for a bit. It has areas that are RPG, then the rest is just...something else.

FranH 8th Mar 2013 12:28 AM

This is the Download Organizer:

Delphy's Download Organizer

What it does is pretty straightforward-it organizes your CC into categories, where you can check for duplicates and sort them out into the various folders. I also suggest getting

The Compressorizer and running the Downloads folder through it before using the Organizer. They both save space in your game, and they're easy to use.

My most important piece of advice when it comes to any CC in any game is that you can put walls, terrains and floors outside of the main downloads folder. I've also put object recolors outside of it, as well.
It saves some time, but most importantly, it saves space in the folder, I think.

StephHan 8th Mar 2013 3:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
This is the Download Organizer:

Delphy's Download Organizer

What it does is pretty straightforward-it organizes your CC into categories, where you can check for duplicates and sort them out into the various folders. I also suggest getting

The Compressorizer and running the Downloads folder through it before using the Organizer. They both save space in your game, and they're easy to use.

My most important piece of advice when it comes to any CC in any game is that you can put walls, terrains and floors outside of the main downloads folder. I've also put object recolors outside of it, as well.
It saves some time, but most importantly, it saves space in the folder, I think.

Thank you! I'll check into this tonight.

koololdster 8th Mar 2013 3:44 AM

Okay, this may be one of the dumber questions you have encountered here for a while, but I have to ask it. I've tried Google and ended up more confused than I already am..

I keep running across opportunities to buy The Sims 2 Medieval. This is something I might be interested in, but I am unable to get the details I would like to know about it.

Could someone who has played or at least knows about it, please answer a few questions for me? Is Medieval Sims an expansion pack,a stuff pack or is it stand alone? If it's an expansion, can it be combined with other expansion packs? Is it a resource hog? Whatever it is, what is your overall opinion or impression of it? Is it worth buying?

I know this sounds crazy, but do far I haven't been able to clarify these things by reading about it anywhere else, and the people on this site seem to know about everything.

The Sims Medieval is NOT run from the Sim3 engine. It is run from the Sim2 engine. Look at the date it was released. That being said it is also not a memory hog like the Sims 3. It has specific quests if you like that. I personally like it and got it about a year ago. If you want to do the whole Medieval Challenge thing and make a big neighborhood and legacies I wouldn't get the Sims Medieval, but if you want something a bit different and fairly simple go for it! I'm sure you can get it for cheap!

Katya Stevens 8th Mar 2013 9:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
The Sims Medieval is NOT run from the Sim3 engine. It is run from the Sim2 engine. Look at the date it was released.

Sims 3 released June 2009.

Sims Medieval released March 2011.

Installing mods into the Sims Medieval follows the same route as TS3 (using a resource.cfg file). Uh, yeah, it is based on the TS3 engine.

Lerf1950 8th Mar 2013 3:22 PM

Uhm....

Let's see:
The Sims are made and all look like Sims 3 Sims. (Except for the shoes.)
It uses the "rabbithole" system of play.
It uses the "open neighborhood" method of getting you around.
It has moodlets and doesn't have motives.

How on Earth, could anyone say it's based on Sims 2? It is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Sims 2.

Lerf1950 8th Mar 2013 5:40 PM

Do you mean you have a regular sims folder, and a medieval sims folder and exchange them depending on which kind you're going to play? I never thought of that.

It doesn't mess anything up to switch folders as long as you're not going to play the other hoods, right?

Yep. That's the way I do it. In fact I never have more than one hood in any given folder. It saves on load time. So in my My Documents/EA Games folder I have The Sims 2, The Sims 2--driftwood, The Sims 2--Dreamland, etc. etc and switch neighborhoods depending on what I want to play.

And, no, it doesn't mess anything up to switch folders by renaming them whenever you feel like it.

(Sorry about the double post, but I missed the question the first time.)

a_az13_a 8th Mar 2013 5:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by koololdster
The Sims Medieval is NOT run from the Sim3 engine. It is run from the Sim2 engine. Look at the date it was released. That being said it is also not a memory hog like the Sims 3. It has specific quests if you like that. I personally like it and got it about a year ago. If you want to do the whole Medieval Challenge thing and make a big neighborhood and legacies I wouldn't get the Sims Medieval, but if you want something a bit different and fairly simple go for it! I'm sure you can get it for cheap!

Have you ever even seen a screenshot from this game, let alone played it? You can tell just by a quick glance at the graphics that it's based off TS3.

koololdster 9th Mar 2013 1:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by a_az13_a
Have you ever even seen a screenshot from this game, let alone played it? You can tell just by a quick glance at the graphics that it's based off TS3.

I own it and have played it. Well holy crap! I'm wrong. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sims_Medieval

Not that Wikipedia is always right. But, it is so simple it is Sims 3 lite for sure!