Mod The Sims
Page 1 of 2

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Greater Gaming World (Closed) (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=571)
-   -   PSP Ads Draw Global Fire (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=336680)

KKai 8th Jul 2006 12:32 AM

PSP Ads Draw Global Fire

Recently, there seems to be nothing good about Sony, and this news is not an exception. ...

Read the article:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/717/717138p1.html

Drakron 8th Jul 2006 1:01 AM

The ad is in HOLLAND only for god sake ... last time I check Holland was a independent country and not a US state.

svenge 8th Jul 2006 1:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Drakron
The ad is in HOLLAND only for god sake ... last time I check Holland was a independent country and not a US state.

Seriously. What amazes me about these types of groups is the silly crap they focus on like a billboard in Europe instead of REAL issues affecting the people they represent.

mod_bv 8th Jul 2006 1:18 AM

Also look at http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/news/ds_ad.jpg. It is very interesting.

rynoboy700 8th Jul 2006 1:51 AM

there has allready been a white psp in japan and you can order them off of ebay

LoKain 8th Jul 2006 3:13 AM

their are white PSP everywhere now... I dont like the color but it helps with the smudges. But I prefer black cuz it looks neeto, Hope they do pink soon. :P

It's very tactless add for sony. Oh well
They got cought by the PC police :P

QueenScorpio_SC 8th Jul 2006 3:25 AM

It's a tasteless ad but thats it, it doesn't need as much hoo-ha as it got; besides everyone knows if you buy white coloured gaming systems it will be grey in a few months...I also prefer the black

Drakron 8th Jul 2006 3:28 AM

The fact that ad does not end in a lesbian scene disapointed me to no end ...

Of course then it would sexist.

kanzaki 8th Jul 2006 2:52 PM

There's more than one ad from that photo shoot, everyone is only showing this one because it fits into their "racist" outcry.

rynoboy700 8th Jul 2006 4:33 PM

yah I can see how that is considered rasist. but it is just an ad it was not intended to be insulting or rasist. but just to be safe Sony should take those signs down.

Psy10 8th Jul 2006 4:39 PM

That ad isn't racist. It is however in bad taste.

Psy10 8th Jul 2006 4:42 PM

I really hate to double post but I noticed something. SONY wanted this to be about race. It's quite obvious b/c the white woman is in white and the black woman is in black. They could have easily switched this and the point would have still been made. Also, the white woman is holding the black woman's face in a disrespectful manner.

Anyway, I really don't care. Black people have more important things to worry about then an ad.

discordkitty 8th Jul 2006 4:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Drakron

You do realize that Holland was one of the biggest slave trading countries in the Age of Ships and the English empires in the West Indies etc

Psy10 8th Jul 2006 4:53 PM

^Thank you for pointing that out.

QueenScorpio_SC 8th Jul 2006 5:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Psy10
I really hate to double post but I noticed something. SONY wanted this to be about race. It's quite obvious b/c the white woman is in white and the black woman is in black. They could have easily switched this and the point would have still been made. Also, the white woman is holding the black woman's face in a disrespectful manner.

Anyway, I really don't care. Black people have more important things to worry about then an ad.

Thats what triggered it all, she didn't have to be holding her face like she is about to slap her and the black girl is in a submissive position and the clothes they are wearing also play to that not just thier colour...SONY is asking for trouble with this one

Psy10 8th Jul 2006 6:00 PM

Someone on another board answered this topic quite wonderful.

Quote:
Understand one thing, they are selling game consoles and then ask yourself; how does the color of a game console become the color of people? How does the color of a game console make it superior to a game console of a different color that does the exact same thing?

When Apple started marketing its Black Ipod there was no marketing it as superior to the White Ipod because they both did the same thing, so why is the white PSP being marketed as being superior to the Black one and why use a Blond haired white woman grabbing the facing of a Black woman with a Afro? Also notice the white woman is taller and bigger than the Black woman and looking down on her. This ad is espousing white supremacy even though we know white skin and white consoles are not superior to anything.

The irony in the ad is that we know that the White PSP will do the exact same thing as the Black PSP, making it its equal just as we know white folk are not capable of doing anything Black men and women can't do, but this does not stop them from believing they are superior and it damn sure will not stop them from marketing a white game console as superior to the Black game console. This is white supremacy at its best! Creating a white sense of superiority where none exist.

So on point.

kanzaki 8th Jul 2006 6:32 PM

In another ad, the model representing the black psp has the model representing the white psp on her back... is that racist?

They're showing you this ad, because it's the one they want to you see and supports their claim. I'll dig up a link to the other ad and bring it back here.

edit: picture lifted from Sony Europe

davious 8th Jul 2006 6:56 PM

I dunno if either are racist, but, both ads are kinda making me feel funny....like I really want a PSP now, LOL

jabsys 8th Jul 2006 7:00 PM

That's exactly what they are counting on Davious.

"Hi, we have a new PSP here because we're really struggling to sell the old one. It's exactly the same as the old one except for the colour but white is so cool you'll want to buy it!

No, we don't have many more killer games than we did before. No, we don't have a better movie viewing format for the system. Yes, you'll still be buying movies on a dead format if you want to be legal.

But it's white! Buy me, buuuuy me!"

rynoboy700 8th Jul 2006 7:10 PM

most people in america only count it racist if a white is doing something mean or wrong to a black (this is in america)

LoKain 8th Jul 2006 7:21 PM

heh I really dont find it racists, I mean if their is such a thing a racist market hehehe that their aiming for I bet their not a lot. :p

I mean common sense dictates the company would likely try avoid to bad publicity.

They should sack the one who made the ad for them its very tactless for very sensitive people.

It dosent really states superiority it just means its comming and it wants to be known, people are looking into it too much and give it meaning where their's none, it's just a plain ad with pretty ladies.

davious 8th Jul 2006 7:39 PM

just a quick question...obviously, the black actress/model in the ads didn't find the ad campaign to be racist, after all, she willingly participated in it...so, if she doesn't have a problem with it, why should anyone else?

Psy10 8th Jul 2006 7:43 PM

Ha ha... so one person being an ad makes it not racist? That's a ridiculous notion.

Psy10 8th Jul 2006 7:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kanzaki

Ahhh I knew this pic would show up. Now ask yourself why wasn't this the picture that was on the billboard? Simple, it's a back up plan. This pic was never meant to be used.

What caption will they have with the ad where the Black woman is on top of the white woman. The whole purpose of the marketing campaign is to make note of and get the word out that "White is Coming". Will it say; White will fail? Black is here to stay? Black been here long before white? I would love to see that one.

See how it doesn't make sense. They knew exactly what they were doing.

LoKain 8th Jul 2006 7:51 PM

*sigh* would a company wanting money would like bad publicity like this, now ask yourself if a profit driven company would do that.... Its tasteless yes, but it's not a conspiracy theory on Sony wanting to enslave black people again.