Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=576)
-   -   Audiobooks versus actual book (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=413432)

dreaming4dreams 24th Jul 2010 6:54 AM

Audiobooks versus actual book

Which do you guys perfer? I perfer having the book in my hands and feeling the pages,actually coming up with the voices of the characters on my own and not hearing someone elses version. I will admit I don't mind audiobooks but the prices are what bother me. I went on to the barnes and noble's site and the prices for audio books where in the 30's. That is what really annoys me since paper backs and hardcovers cost less then having someone read the book to you.

amandatea 24th Jul 2010 7:01 AM

I agree with you. However, there is a convenience factor with audiobooks. I have hundreds of books i want to read and have a ton of things to do so having an audiobook is a comprimise. I can listen to the book and get stuff done, or on the way to work. I do agree that i would rather sit down and read the book when i have time though.

refox_14 24th Jul 2010 5:45 PM

I also enjoy actually holding the book in my own hands, giving the characters voices I think up, instead of the person reading it to me. Another reason why I read books before watching the movies based off them.

But like the person above me said, audio books are helpful when it comes to being on the run a lot, not having very much time to read the book through, while you could play it on slightly low in your car while going to work.

Or theres people like me and my father. We both can't sleep in total no-noise-from-any-thing, so we both listen to audio books at night.

Also, Jim Dale reads Harry Potter beyond excellence in my opinion. He may make Hermione have a slightly high voice, but seriously, Jim Dale is the only gut who can read Harry Potter correctly. I suggest listening to him some time.

Audio books, to me, are helpful to younger children, who can't read fluently enough to enjoy some stories, but still want to hear them. My younger sibling wanted to hear 'The Guardians Of Ga'Hool' before seeing the movie, and we were able to get it rented for him.

All in all, audio books aren't bad, they can be entertaining when read by certain people, but holding the book in your hands still beats audio books. Any way, I remember the story better after reading it my self.

HystericalParoxysm 24th Jul 2010 5:47 PM

Um, Harry Potter is also read by Stephen Fry. Nobody could possibly do it better than Stephen Fry.

I also have the whole Dresden Files series as read by James Marsters, which is -excellent-.

Usually I prefer just reading 'em but if they're read well by someone I like, I enjoy audiobooks. They're nice too cos I have a toddler and I can just put them on and clean or whatever and we can both listen.

Oaktree 24th Jul 2010 7:13 PM

I like both. I read avidly, but I've listened to a few very good audiobooks. I listened to an audiobook of Dracula that had an amazing voice actor. It really immersed me into the story, more so that I think reading would have done (though I can't say for sure, as I haven't actually read Dracula).

tiffyandthewall 23rd Aug 2010 3:45 AM

i like physical, paper books better than any alternative format. the only audio book i've ever purchased was one called The Return of the Native, and i honestly only bought it because Alan Rickman reads it, and i have a huge crush on him.

agentclone 23rd Aug 2010 2:32 PM

Given that I have issues consiously listening to anything for an extended period (i.e. I tune out) of time I prefer reading books, whether it be in paperback format or an ebook. However audio books are great for those people who can't read on transportation as they can instead listen to the books to relieve the boredom (what one of my friends does).

Mia138 23rd Aug 2010 2:56 PM

Without stating the obvious, audio books are a godsend for the elderly. My friend's mother was an avid reader for all her life and was heartbroken when her sight deteriorated to the extent that she could no longer read. Audio books have given her a totally new lease of life and put a smile back on her face thats a joy to see.
I personally havent ever listened to an audio book although my daughter recently downloaded a Harry Potter book read by Stephen Fry which sounded excellent. For me its a bit like something I talked about in another thread here recently - whilst reading a book you 'play out' the story in your head with your own mental imagery and sounds etc and thats part of the enjoyment for me which is why I wouldnt ever watch a film version of a book Ive read because it shatters my illusion. I fear it might be the same with an audio book.