Mod The Sims
Page 1 of 2

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   Tutorials (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=754)
-   -   Modding InfoCenter - The Material Definition (TXMT): a visual reference table *Update* (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=316260)

Pixelhate 25th Jan 2009 2:20 PM

Modding InfoCenter - The Material Definition (TXMT): a visual reference table *Update*

9 Attachment(s)
There are countless ways to modify the appearance of an object, simply by tweaking a few settings In SimPE.

In my need to understand the texture section of an object and the different ways to influence it, I came across the idea of an illustrated systematic testing of all the TXMT parameters.

This isn't really a tutorial that explain you things step by step, but more a compilation of information found everywhere on Mts2, with comparative pictures and tests, organised in a hopefully convenient way.
A sort of visual reference table.

- Introduction: covers a few generalities.
- Part 1: Basics settings (texture enabling, mesh test settings, lightning, colouring, glow effect)
- Part 2: Reflection settings (enabling, EnvCube map names & look, adding a custom reflection)
- Part 3: Blend settings (transparency and alpha, blending, additive, glass effect with/without texture)
- Part 4: Texture animations (tile, rotate, scale, translate and UV coordinate)
- Part 5: Bump Map settings (creating bump/normal map, bump enabling a mesh, adding bump map to recolour) + bump tester (see also post#24)

Documents are in PDF format
- part 2 contain a .txt with EnvCube names, a package with texture for custom pearly reflection and a .txt with install instruction.
- part 5 contain a package of a base game object recolour to test Bump/Normal abilities of your computer.

I hope that this work will bring more answers than questions...

Pixelhate. 2009

Fresh-Prince 25th Jan 2009 2:30 PM

Oh! Thank you! This actual might help me with my current problem. You posted it at the perfect time!

tbudgett 25th Jan 2009 2:55 PM

Great Work!!! I can sure use it....Thanks

McAlli 26th Jan 2009 5:06 PM

Thank you so much!!

Rapsheba555 27th Jan 2009 1:36 AM

You, my european friend, are a LIFESAVER. I thought that i'd have to figure it out on my own.

Quick question: If I make an object glow like a lamp (aka not affected by darkness) but give off no light, will a reflective sheen still show up over it, or will the shine be lost in the glow?

Pixelhate 27th Jan 2009 1:50 AM

My pleasure!
Quick answer: glow in the dark (Emissive) + EnvCube will both be shown.
You may need to adjust the settings to obtain the desired effect.

Rapsheba555 27th Jan 2009 3:27 AM

ah, thank you. I needed it to both glow in the dark and be shiny, so this will work marvelously.

Rapsheba555 27th Jan 2009 3:34 AM

next question: can glow be assigned to a sim mesh?

Pixelhate 27th Jan 2009 7:59 AM

I have no idea on that one, you'll have to test and find out... and let me know.
Sorry..

buggybooz 27th Jan 2009 8:12 AM

Now where is that darn thanks button that I'd like to press over and over again This is going to be an essential reference point for anyone wanting to dabble with the txmts. I know I shall be using your guides ALOT. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!

Rapsheba555 28th Jan 2009 12:30 AM

Ah, mais, c'est la vie. Pas de probleme. (I think you speak french? As do I. )

Edit: I THINK i got both of them to work at the same time. *looks* yes, it works. It has to be done on an alpha group, but it works.

hexameter 6th Feb 2009 1:09 AM

No thanks button?
So, I want to thank you very much for all the great work you put into this exploration! I know this is very useful for creators.
hexameter

SimArchitect 6th Feb 2009 2:01 AM

God when I saw this I was so excited!!! I have wanted something like this for so long!!!

I love fiddleing with the material definition and I usually get some hideous colorful thing in the game. LOL!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Hek 14th Feb 2009 7:43 AM

This is so useful! Thank you very much!

leefish 14th Feb 2009 12:03 PM

thank you - I am working on making my own textures so this will be handy

Numenor 15th Feb 2009 2:32 PM

Thread moved to the Modding InfoCenter: now there is a "Thanks" button!!! -

*furiously clicks the Thanks button multiple times, though knowing that only 1 thank will be added *

Also, Groovilicious' posts with additional info about the TXMT have been moved back to the TXMT Discussion Thread, as per Pixelhate's request.

Pixelhate 14th Mar 2009 2:32 AM

This thread is not tagged but files are missing.
I have so many different versions that I'm lost on which was uploaded...
Could someone help by attaching or sending me the original rar ? not needed any more
Thanks a lot.

plasticbox 14th Mar 2009 8:32 PM

The thread is not tagged but it is on our list of missing files =). Also, if you click on the "View Custom Content" link next to the non-existing uploads above, you can still see the exact filenames, sizes and timestamps of everything that was in there -- perhaps that helps you to find the correct version.

Pixelhate 15th Mar 2009 12:01 AM

Well, take it out of the list , I guess it's settle now.
Many thanks to all for the hard work behind the scene !!

CatOfEvilGenius 23rd Mar 2009 6:50 AM

The cubes that clearly show the effects of changing certain TXMT parameters are exactly what this kind of tutorial needs, glad to see them. I'll take a closer look later.

Alisar 26th Mar 2009 11:11 PM

Pix! thank you for this! Downloaded! I hope I will be able to make some good object someday and do honour your instructions, even if I must say I learnt to play (a little) with envcube thanks to you ... so, there's a hope maybe?

jasonduskey 22nd Apr 2009 2:16 AM

I know this is a bit late in coming, but thanks, brother. I just recently noticed this tutorial. I had a fair understanding of how the TXMT resource worked, but this really makes clearand concise. Huge thanks, especially for the bit about adding environment cubes to objects that don't have them. Well done, Pix.

modman3000! 29th Apr 2009 1:54 PM

nice! i have always been interested in the sims 2 engine stuff

bluetexasbonnie 30th Apr 2009 1:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
PH --

Here is the recolor I promised for people to check whether they can see bump maps or not. The example picture is included in the .rar

It is yours to do with as you desire.

Pixelhate 30th Apr 2009 9:52 PM

Thanks ! I've just made something similar with a base game urn. I'll use more of your ideas. I'll contact you soon..