Mod The Sims

Mod The Sims (https://modthesims.info/index.php)
-   CAS Parts (https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=597)
-   -   How to create custom clothing and skins for sims 3? (https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=353529)

navidadia 7th Jul 2009 9:43 PM

How to create custom clothing and skins for sims 3?

Im sorry if this is a re-post or anything, but where can I find a program or tutorial that explains how to create custom clothing and skins for sims 3?

I have never made anything for sims 2..so Im kinda clueless to how modding works...I really want to make tattoos...but i have no idea how

bitznbats 7th Jul 2009 11:09 PM

I'd like to know how to make clothing so you are not alone!!

Nandonalt 7th Jul 2009 11:14 PM

Look this Thread

fluttereyes 8th Jul 2009 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Nandonalt
Look this Thread

That thread is so bloated now that its hard to find anything from it. I've asked a couple of the people who have had success if they would be willing to do tutorials for the less experienced of us.

Because half the people on that thread know how to do these things, having done them in sims 2, most of the info in there is very difficult for us lesser mortals to understand.

It would be great if someone could take the relevant info and make it a tutorial for the rest of us to follow. I'm not being lazy, I've followed that thread, I just can't understand half of it due to lack of experience.

kanno 8th Jul 2009 11:47 AM

That thread is for downloading the CAS Unitool Program.

To make clothing, you should start here; it's a nice tutorial by daluved.

For skintones, go there.

Actually, those tutorials will explain how to use the new programs to make custom content work with TS3. They won't teach you how to use Photoshop for example.
You should also have a look at TS2 Bodyshop tutorial section.
Making clothing isn't that much different between TS2 and TS3. What changes is there is no Bodyshop in TS3, so be careful.
But at least, you'll learn the basic, how to create simple nice textures, etc.

I agree with you that all this forums here are very complicated for beginners, and I think they're also complicated for advanced creators. The point is, The Sims 3 has just released one month ago, so all the process is still in development.
In two or three months I'm sure there will be lot of clear and explicit tutorials for everyone, as things will get in place.

daluved1 8th Jul 2009 1:07 PM

fluttereyes, I'd start with making a stencil (the first tutorial kanno suggested). It's by far one of the easiest things to do.

I didn't go into every teeny tiny detail, but I gave enough explanation to get you going. And although I originally wrote it for Photoshop users, I, along with a little help from a few other users, added tidbits of information for GIMP and Paint.NET users, too.

And I'm always...always...online so feel free to ask for help on the thread if you get stuck ;D

Shep 10th Jul 2009 9:52 AM

There is a nice tutorial made by Hanlon Razor which explains the basics of Delphy's CTU.
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...ic,15481.0.html

I can add a brief description of the main .dds files:
(My English is a shame, so feel free to edit (or even translate ) or add your own explanation).

- The Multiplier is maybe the most important file.
Its Alpha channel allows to give transparency to the cloth (usefull to make "invisible" a part of cloth and to add shadow around the edges of the cloth.
The main layer gives the general appearance of the cloth: you can add seams, folds, etc in order to make clothing more realistic.

- The Mask file specifies which parts of the cloth can be recoulored in CAS.
Basically:
Red (RGB=255,0,0) in the Mask file= Pattern A in CTU= Color 1 in CAS
Yellow (255,255,0)= Pattern B= Color 2
Pink (255,0,255)= pattern C= Color 3
And the 4th color in CAS ? I don't know, I haven't had the time to look the new CTU version...

- The Specular texture specifies how shiny your cloth will be:
Black=matte
White=shiny

- The Overlay works like a stencil: it isn't affect by the Mask or the Multiplier texture, it overrides them. So it's usefull when you want add a "non-recoulorable" item.

daluved1 10th Jul 2009 10:04 AM

Shep! Thanks for the specular tidbit! I'm going to try that with my nails.

graphicsgurl 18th Jul 2009 6:44 AM

Thankyou very much Shep! That helped me alot.

mully 19th Jun 2012 11:06 AM

Is there a direct download link to Delphy's CAS Unitool thingy from the tutorial daluved1 posted?
My computer won't load the thread that's posted in the tutorital, so if anyone could help just PM me... :/

Esmeralda 19th Jun 2012 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mully
Is there a direct download link to Delphy's CAS Unitool thingy from the tutorial daluved1 posted?
My computer won't load the thread that's posted in the tutorital, so if anyone could help just PM me... :/

That link seems to be a typo or out of date (this is a VERY old thread) - the CAS Unitool is here: http://www.modthesims.info/d/364926

haukke4 19th Jul 2013 11:01 PM

just Wondering can I take an existing adult clothing costume and change it for (fit) teen and/or child? can this be done and if so what do I need to do this please? thank you in advance